The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod - Port Forwarding Made Easy

By on May 12, 2009 2:52:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Vanadrom

Join Date 07/2006
+70

Port Forwarding Made Easy

Last Updated: May 12th 2009

Introduction 

Certainly it goes without saying that all games work better when you activate Port Forwarding, and Demigod is no acception. Of course there are alternative, built in methods to try and bypass the Port issue, but still it's better for everyone is you know how what you're doing. But one person's Port Forwarding guide will not exactly work for everyone, so this is why I've decided to create a post which offers some nice resources to utilize in the attempts to make Port Forwarding a lot easier.

Checking Ports 

One of the most important parts of the guide is making sure that your ports are working smoothly. Yes, there have been a number of threads which suggest the use of the program PFPortChecker, and I once again I will recommend it as a must have.

• Download PFPortChecker by Portforward.com
  • Install and Run the Program, check for Port 6100 UDP and Select Check Me.
  • If the program says: Your port status is OPENThen you don't have to worry. 
  • If the program says: Can not access the Port, it may be closed of unnaccessable. Then you should continue with this guide.

Network Magic

Now most people don't know the first thing about adjusting Port Forwarding, and often times it can be confusing because everyone uses different hardware to get online. Several different ISPs (Internet Service Providers) provide different modems and routers to their customers that have a wide range of different firmwares. But worry not, there is an easy way to trouble shoot the source of your Networking or Port Forwarding issues. One such program that I have found is very useful is Cisco's Networking Magic. What this does allow you to access and tweak network devices a lot easier so you don't have to know the Gatewar IP Address to made adjustments.

• Download Cisco Network Magic Pro - Free Trial Edition
  • Install and run on the computer you wish to play on.
  • When it will first run, the program will analyse your system and map out your network, including all devices connected to it. 
  • A simple network will look like this below:

Managing Your Network 

If you have a Modem which feeds internet to a Router, that then connects multiple computers to a vast network within your household. It would be very wise to first unplug the Router, and directly connect your Desktop Computer to the Modem to begin trouble shooting your network issues. Often times, the source of the problem is the Modem or a Firewall on your Desktop, the best way figure out the cause of your port issues is to start from the basics.

By directly connecting your computer to the modem, Network Magic will ask you to recheck your network. It will find the Modem, and tap into the internet. When this is set, check PFPortChecker to see if 6100 UDP can be accessed. If 6100 UDP Can NOT be accessed, the continue with the guide; however, if it can be access just skip down to Router Management.

Many ISPs provide Modem/Router devices which have their own built in firewalls that prevent network access. Using Network Magic, you can right click the Modem/Router on the Networking Map and select Setup or Manage Device.

This will automatically open the devices Gateway Firmware in a webbrowser, allowing you to manag the decive. Since many of these devices are very different, you will need to look for certain key phrases to help get you to where you want to be. Look any of the following:

Home Networking, Port Forwarding, Port Range Forwarding, Edit Firewall, Firewall Settings, Edit Network, View Network, Gaming and Applications

Locate your computer on the network and edit your firewall settings. Many Modem/Router devices allow you to choose from a list of pre-existing games you can choose from on a list. Naturally, Demigod will not be among these games. But many firmwares allow you to create your own User-Defined Application. Where you can set up many ports and then link it to your computer. I will try to walk you through it in a fashion that may be universal in nature.

• Create a new User-Defined Application called Demigod
  • While editing it, you should be able to add port ranges one at a time. First, Select TCP, the in the port range area enter 6000 to 6200. Then select Add
  • Add another Port Range, this time UDP 6000 to 6200.
  • Save it.
  • Then, select the new Demigod User-Defined rule set on the list and link it to your computer. 

This may not work the same for everyone, but it is the general idea which many firmware gateways share.

Now, check the PFPortChecker program and, once again, check for 6100 UDP. If it works, we're on our way. If it still doesn't work, then there may be a firewall within your Computer that may be blocking your connection and it is not an outside issue. Shutting down Firewalls or creating new rules within them, similiar to the guide above, should open port 6100 UDP. Once it's open, continue with the guide.

Router Management

If you are on a Network which utilizes a Router as well, and connects many computers to a network - then you have a whole new area of enjoyment to following through here. Because just opening the ports in the Modem is only have of the battle, the next problem will be trying to have those rules you've setup in the modem be read through the router and to your computer. This is where the use of Mac Addressess is important.

Connect your network to the way it was before, with your Modem connected to the Router, and the Router to all the computers on the network.

• Now, open Cisco Networking Magic
  • Allow it to read your network and detect the router and all devices.
  • Right click the Router and select Setup or Manage Device.
  • This will open up a new Gateway Firmware in your web browser. Often, stock Router Passwords are admin with no username.
  • Go ahead and locate the Home Networking, Firewall, or Port-Range Forwarding options - but this time you need to set it to direct the ports to your computer's IP address.
  • In Windows systems, go to Control Panel > Network Connections > Right click Locak Area Network (or your network provider, such as a wireless) > Select Status > Support tab > Details
  • Click on Physical Address, hold Shift on your keyboard, then click WINS server. This will highlight all in blue.
  • Press Ctrl C on your Keyboard.
  • Open a Notepad file, and press Ctrl V to paste all information in the notepad.  Then close Network Connections. 
  • Your IP Address is the Address given to you by your Router, when Port-Forwarding in your Router's Firmware Gateway, be sure you direct the ports to your IP address. For aid in this, check Portforward.com.
  • Save.  

Now check PFPortChecker, 6100 UDP. If your port is open, then you're alright. But depending on the make of your Router, there is a good chance that the Port is still closed because the Modem is still blocking the port - not the router. The Modem is no longer connected to your computer as it was before, so you will have to bypass your Router with a Mac Address.

MAC Address Option (In case Router Port Forwarding didn't work)

Note, the following method only allows one computer on your network to have Port Forwarding Access, and it is NOT a DMZ host method.

• Check the notepad information you saved earlier, take note of the Physical Address. 
  • The Physcial Address is your computer's MAC address.
  • Within your Router's Firmware Gateway, locate MAC Address Cloning.
  • Enable MAC Address Cloning. Either Clone your present Computer's MAC address, or write in the Physical Address from your Notepad.
  • Save.

Demigod ImpulsePort Forward

Within your Demigod Installation folder is another folder called Bin.

• Open the bin folder and locate ImpulseReactorOptions.exe
  • Check, Specify NAT Port Range.
  • Change to 6002 to 6200 
  • Press Ok.

Once again, check PTPortChecker for 6100 UDP. By now, you should get a successful Port is OPEN! Message. If not, you may want to either run through the guide again, or post within this thread for continued help in the matter.

Locked Post 35 Replies +5
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 12, 2009 3:21:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice guide, very well done.

May 12, 2009 3:31:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

a guide actualy worth pinning unlike most of the crap pinned atm.

May 12, 2009 3:47:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice guide. Should help some people that don't know how to do this stuff.

Although, should be no reason to need to forward anything TCP, just UDP.  And I still don't understand why so many people are recommending forwarding almost 200 ports.

Should only need 6073, and 6112-6132 all UDP for this game.

May 12, 2009 3:57:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just for simplicity sake Platycus.

May 12, 2009 5:58:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bump - this post is too good not to be at the top.

May 12, 2009 7:04:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

MAC Address Option (In case Router Port Forwarding didn't work)

Note, the following method only allows one computer on your network to have Port Forwarding Access, and it is NOT a DMZ host method.

• Check the notepad information you saved earlier, take note of the Physical Address. 
  • The Physcial Address is your computer's MAC address.
  • Within your Router's Firmware Gateway, locate MAC Address Cloning.
  • Enable MAC Address Cloning. Either Clone your present Computer's MAC address, or write in the Physical Address from your Notepad.
  • Save.

OrleanKnight,

I'm confused by this portion of your write-up.  MAC Address cloning refers to the ability to instruct your router to replace the MAC address it is using/reporting on the WAN-side with the MAC address of a device on the non-routable side of the router (LAN-side).  The only purpose in doing so, is to get your router to have a different WAN-side MAC address.  This is not a replacement for port-forwarding, and in fact has nothing to do with port-forwarding.

Other than that little bit of confusion.....nice write-up!      (btw.....the guide I prepared on 04/14/09 is about as "general" as it gets....hehe)

the Monk

May 12, 2009 8:05:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Actually MAC Addresses don't have anything to do with Port-Forwarding, but they do allow for a single computer to communicate more directly with a Modem through a Router network. It sounds strange, but believe me - on one of my complicated Router netowrks I can't get Port-Forwarding to work unless I clone my PC's MAC address into the Router. I just felt I should share that information, and place it at the bottom of the guide as an additional something to help people who have the same network setup as me.

May 12, 2009 8:20:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Any ideas on why I can't connect to games when my ports are opened according to portforward? If you have any advice I'd really appreciate it. Haven't been able to get home yet to try the new patch (It's 12.20pm here atm)

May 12, 2009 9:23:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

IF NOTHING ELSE PLEASE JUST CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR PORTS ARE OPEN WITH THIS.. I THOUGHT MINE WERE OPENNED BUT THEY WEREN'T. USED THIS PORTFORWARDCHECKER AND BAM IM OPEN AND GETTING INTO GAMES!!

May 12, 2009 9:39:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Caps lock is not your friend.

And fantastic write up, covers everything I'd advise people to do if they asked me and more!

May 12, 2009 11:52:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Da-Bump-a-dee

May 13, 2009 12:04:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice write up. Thanks for taking the time, should help some people

May 13, 2009 2:46:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When i used PFPortChecker it tried to use the hamachi ip adres to send it packages. So make sure the IP  which is used for the check is the actual IP of you're machine as seen from the router. An other program who add's a virtual network ip adress isr VMware. And if you have multiple network cards like ethernet and wireless you can also have several IP's which could be used by the program

May 13, 2009 3:44:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Your pc's IP address that you forward packets to is shown on the first line if you run IPCONFIG from a dos prompt.

May 13, 2009 5:08:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I actually had great difficulty forwarding an entire port range to demigod:

The thing is, my router has fourth field in the port forwarding section, apart from 'port range', 'ip address' and protocol: 'Local Port'.

I used to forward single ports by entering the same port number in both the 'port range' and 'local port' fields, but since the 'local port' field did not accept port ranges, this method did not allow me to forward more than one port. The Portforward.com website showed entering the port range in the 'port range' field and the first port of the range in the local 'port field'. This did not in fact work, since after testing it, that merely forwarded the entire range to that single local port, which is not what was needed for demigod.

The thing that was mentioned nowhere on the port forward site, or any of those posts about portforwarding, or even the manual of my router, is that I actually should have left the 'local port' field empty. That way the ports would simply be forwarded normally...

So in case someone else ever has a similar problem, that is how I solved it.

May 13, 2009 8:39:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the guide!

I'd actually done all this, but whenever I go to http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to check my ports, apparently they're closed. I found it rather bamboozling.

But when I use that PortForward.com program and check 6100 UDP it tells me it's open.

Does this matter, or would you say the PortForward.com program knows what it's talking about? (Not literally, of course, as the program can't talk.) It's just strange that every port check online that I've tried tells me that range is closed.

May 13, 2009 9:07:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting timiny_cricket,
Thanks for the guide!

Does this matter, or would you say the PortForward.com program knows what it's talking about? (Not literally, of course, as the program can't talk.) It's just strange that every port check online that I've tried tells me that range is closed.

trust the program, if you read the text in the lower part of it an explanation is provided as to why it is a more reliable test, and why websites dont work for testing UDP port forwards.

PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall

Why Our Open Port Check Tool Is Better

Most online port checks assume that you already have an application (such as your game or torrent) listening for the port test on your computer, and then assume that the test was OK simply because they were able to connect to your computer.

Also, web only port checkers are not able to test UDP since UDP is a connectionless protocol and there is no way to know if the packet actually made it to your computer without some sort of program on your computer waiting for that packet.

Our port test uses a local application to listen for the server trying to connect and the positively verifies that your port is forwarded.

In other words, with our open port check tool you never get a false positive!

May 13, 2009 9:10:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Depending on what checker you use, for example Shields Up!, when it reports your ports as closed, thats actually a good thing as it means it can at least find them, however it did not receive a response.
If it reported them as stealthed, which means they were unlocateable, it means your port forwarding is not working as the ports appear invisible to anything sending a request.

I'm not an expert on Networking or the operations of ports, however I have used PortForward.com in several situations and they've yet to let me down.

May 13, 2009 12:59:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

shamma-de-bump

May 13, 2009 1:07:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can someone actually say why the hell you need to open so many ports?  ImpulseReactorOptions only requires a range of 20 but everyone always seems to want to open 6000-6200.  Why so many?

I use another computer for battle.net which uses 6112-6119 and I have those forwarded to the other computer and I'd rather not change it.

I'm having Demigod use 6002-6100 right now and it seems to be doing fine, but even that is 80 ports too many.

Is there an actual reason everyone wants to open hundreds of ports, or just "because"?

May 13, 2009 1:10:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
Depending on what checker you use, for example Shields Up!, when it reports your ports as closed, thats actually a good thing as it means it can at least find them, however it did not receive a response.
If it reported them as stealthed, which means they were unlocateable, it means your port forwarding is not working as the ports appear invisible to anything sending a request.

I'm not an expert on Networking or the operations of ports, however I have used PortForward.com in several situations and they've yet to let me down.
No, ShieldsUp! is something completely different. ShieldsUp! olny looks for open services behind ports and reports them back to you. It will not and cannot check, if a port is forwarded to anywhere.

"Stealthed" just means, that ShieldsUp! didn't find a service behind that port. It doesn't tell you anything about port forwarding.

Quoting InfiniteVengeance,
Can someone actually say why the hell you need to open so many ports?  ImpulseReactorOptions only requires a range of 20 but everyone always seems to want to open 6000-6200.  Why so many?

I use another computer for battle.net which uses 6112-6119 and I have those forwarded to the other computer and I'd rather not change it.

I'm having Demigod use 6002-6100 right now and it seems to be doing fine, but even that is 80 ports too many.

Is there an actual reason everyone wants to open hundreds of ports, or just "because"?
You only need to forward the port range you have defined with ImpulseReactorOptions.exe and the hosting port (both for UDP). Nothing else. I don't really know why the devs keep saying you need to open the whole range from 6000 to 6200.

May 13, 2009 5:19:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm, according to the PFChecker my ports aren't open and I don't understand why.

I'm on verizon FIOS and being physically connected is not an option for me.  They use a router/modem combo, all-in-one style device.

I have a static IP that no other computer (total of 3 computers in house) ever interferes with.

The MAC Adress advice listed above causes my internet to stop working for all systems in the house so I reverted it.

I have both 6000-6200 TCP & UDP forwarded to this IP.

I have the Impulse Reactor set to 6000-6200.

I have PFChecker and Demigod listed as exceptions in Windows Firewall.

I have Norton Antivirus 2009 (not Internet Security or 360).  I don't see any settings in here that help but not sure what I should be looking for here.

I even tried disabling both Windows Firewall and Norton and still PFChecker says it isn't open.  I have no other software firewalls or security programs running.

The thing is, I don't have any trouble with other games, and even in DG, I don't often have connection issues but I usually only play skirmish.  Could PFChecker not be that accurate?  Any insight is definitely appreciated.

May 13, 2009 6:36:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting platycus,
Nice guide. Should help some people that don't know how to do this stuff.

Although, should be no reason to need to forward anything TCP, just UDP.  And I still don't understand why so many people are recommending forwarding almost 200 ports.

Should only need 6073, and 6112-6132 all UDP for this game.

Where on earth did u find the 'official ports' to open..its sure as hell not in the manual? is there a FAQ that has this information? other then the these forums which seem to like 6073, 6100-6200, and some even say 6000-6200 (this post for example).

May 13, 2009 11:30:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I got them from Frogboy's many Journal posts, you should keep track of them.

May 14, 2009 8:42:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting novex,
trust the program, if you read the text in the lower part of it an explanation is provided as to why it is a more reliable test, and why websites dont work for testing UDP port forwards.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001359   Page Render Time: