The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

We’re still up

By on May 7, 2009 11:15:54 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Well, it’s apparently Thursday at 9:18am.  The dev team here is still here working on “Wednesdays” beta update.  As some of you know, while there have been updated to Demigod, we have not released any connectivity updates to the game yet because once we realized the architecture for the MP was inadequate, we concluded we needed to redo it.  We’re pretty close (that’s why we’re still here, it’s like a game in itself – one more turn…one more compile and then it’ll be ready). 

We’ll keep you posted.

Update 10:54am, Thursday

So as you know, we’re working on improving the included MP match making. What we have now is a night and day difference for most users. 

So what’s the issue?

Early on, a design decision was made that didn’t seem like a big deal at the time but is making getting this new system harder to debug. That is, the Raknet library connects a player to another player and then hands over the socket to Demigod itself. Once in the game, they are connected using a different port (that’s why Demigod uses more than one port currently). The problem is, the server is still trying to connect to the user on the old port and when it can’t it disconnects them after a time out.  Seems pretty trivial to fix (or at least it did to us) but that’s where we’ve been stuck for the past several hours is trying to figure out why it’s not removing the old record from its database. 

So we’re pretty spent at this point so we’re going to hand it off to the next crew and pick it up after we get some sleep.  It’s frustrating because it’s so close and it’s such a major improvement both in terms of speed (you get into the lobby in less than a couple seconds), reliability, and scalability (this should be able to handle huge numbers of connections).  But we can’t seem to get the bloody thing to remove the outdated record with the host’s old port address.

Example:

Joe on 10.1.1.10:6112 hosts a game.

Alice on 192.168.1.10:6112 joins.

The two connect and the socket is handed to Demigod and we’re connected to each other on port 6112 inside of Demigod.

Now, we start listening for more people to join and the port becomes 6114 for both of us.  But server still has a record of Joe on 10:1.1.10:6112, can’t ping it, declares him dead and no longer sees the user at all.

Like I said, it seems trivial to solve. At 3am, we were certain it we’d solve it in a few minutes. And at 11:05am (now) we are still there.

Now, a network savvy person (someone not me) will likely say how silly it is that it hands off the socket.  Both Stardock and GPG agree. It was one of those decisions made long ago that is annoying and is being addressed in parallel.

Which is something else I should point out: Think of the support of Demigod occurring in 4 parallel mini-teams.

You have team 1 which I’m directing which is focused on making the MP matchmaking in Demigod work well very very soon as in, by this weekend. BTW, favor points are fixed here now. This update will allow lots of people who can’t currently connect to connect (i.e. we had a lot of success with people who have never been able to connect).

You have team 2 which is headed by our chief architect (the Impulse team) that is working on better solutions but ones that will take longer (>a few days but < a month) which include things like the proxy servers, a more robust skirmish/pantheon match making system that takes ping into account rather than geographic location, supports larger teams, eliminates bots from experienced player matches, eliminates the multiple ports, and a ton of other things.

You have team 3 which is headed up by the lead engineer at Gas Powered Games. He’s working on things like making performance better for low end systems, adding modes so we can do Demigod: Clan Wars (free DLC for this Summer), implementing more robust rules for competitive play, bug fixes, etc.

And then you have team 4 which is headed up at GPG to work on new content and balance changes. New items, new Demigods, game rule changes, updated abilities, new maps, and so on.

Since I write most of the blogs, you mostly hear about Team 1.

Anyway, stay tuned.   In the meantime, have fun!

+912 Karma | 84 Replies
May 8, 2009 7:32:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I hope you're taking sleeping bags into the office for power naps .

May 8, 2009 8:30:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

any news on this?

May 8, 2009 9:05:40 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting revlazaro,
Game Ranger is about to drop support for unpatched versions of Demigod. I think a lot of us will return when we're not getting flooded by ignoramus's who still try to join our games even when labeled.

You know, that almost makes me sorry the pirates don't really frequent this forum in numbers. I'd love to hear their shrill whines when they get locked out. (just until they find some other trick or game unfortunately, but you can't have everything, I suppose)

May 8, 2009 9:08:40 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Grand theft auto pron?

Whatever floats your boat

May 8, 2009 10:42:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sheezwack,

Demigod actually has a friends list as well, press shift tab when in the game to bring it up.  It is a little flakey and doesn't really have any useful features like joining an existing lobby with your friend in it etc.

Yeah but GR does have all those atm, and I can leave it running while doing other things when I'm not playing DG, but looking for a possible match with friends.

Of course, I suppose there's Xfire and other IM's for that kinda thing....

May 8, 2009 10:50:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the friends list is very bugged, the IM does not work correctly, also what surprising is that there is no ingame-browser as there is in steam. Especially since demigod OPs in the official channel keeps linking to URLs which arent even clickable in the ingame irc client.....

May 8, 2009 2:17:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you get Game Ranger, can you tell who is a pirate and who a legit player when they join a game (or you see a game posted)?

FB, should you really be reaching for your grail all the time right in front of your employees?  

May 8, 2009 3:02:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting floodiastus,
the friends list is very bugged, the IM does not work correctly, also what surprising is that there is no ingame-browser as there is in steam. Especially since demigod OPs in the official channel keeps linking to URLs which arent even clickable in the ingame irc client.....

You realize Impulse has a game browser.  Many people chat in impulse and search for games there.

ProTip:  Set your screen resolution in-game to Windowed.  Set your "taskbar" to NOT stay on top of other windows.  Maximize game window when you're playing.  You can minimize it or resize it when you're not in-game.  Also makes alt-tabb'ing a breeze.

May 9, 2009 2:34:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank you for the nice update, but I need to say that the following is not completely correct:

eliminates bots from experienced player matches.

Bots should be removed from Pantheon and Skirmich matches completely. They can only ruin player gaming experience. If unexperienced players want to play with bots, they should use Custom Game or Single Player.

Sorry for repeating the same thing again, but this is true.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.