The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

New Demigod: Scarecrow

By on May 7, 2009 6:01:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not all of the Father’s children anticipated a life of combat. As a young man, Inell was exceedingly shy. He took no wife come his seventeenth harvest, instead opting for a quiet farm life. He abhorred company, and was known for his habit of conversing only with his scarecrows. While it was a curious trait, it was not considered dangerous until the great Witch Hunt.

As one of the first witches tried for crimes against humanity, he was forced to endure great torment for the amusement of the townsfolk. Ultimately, after weeks of torture, he was forced to watch the best of his friends die in the Summer Fire, their stringy hay bodies hungrily consumed by the flame. Even as they tied him to a pole, stuffed his clothes full of hay, and forced upon him a black sack that would pass for a hood, his only worries were that they may find the rest of his fields, and destroy his lonely sentinels. The injustice of their plight rang throughout his ears.
At first he was fed three times a day, despite his struggles and cries for vengeance, but soon the villagers lost interest, and began to forget. Lunch was abandoned, and then breakfast. Soon, his only meal became weekly, then monthly, and eventually was forgotten all together. He was left to die in the field, identical to any other village scarecrow. Each night, his tormented soul cried out to the hilltops, sorrowful, pained, and vengeful.

And then, through a cloak of hatred and a veil of insanity, he began to realize with utmost clarity that he no longer thirsted or hungered. In fact, his one desire was to hear his lovers, his children’s voices. Surely he heard them in the distance? The ragged, scratching footsteps? The soft whisper of their voiceless mouths? His anger, long lost over the decades past, resurged, and he willed his vengeance.

His prayers were answered. Surely he could feel his children’s hands on him now, blinded though he was!

The tax collectors were in for a shock. Where once was a bustling town, there lay nothing but ruins. In the burnt square, like a dark omen, was planted a lone pole, defiant to the destruction about it. Atop that pole lay a single, charred scarecrow.

The Scarecrow: type general

HP: Very high
Armor: Very low
Weapon damage: low
MP: High
Speed: Low

My Friends:
Summons 2/2/4/8 scarecrow companions (in-game name Fetish). Maximum of 2/4/8/8 scarecrows.
Cooldown: 10 seconds
Mana cost: Medium

Sacrifice:
The scarecrow is willing to pay the ultimate price. Sacrifices 300/200/100/100 health for 100/200/300/400 mana. Heals all nearby minions for 100/200/300/400 health.
Cooldown: 4 seconds

Last stand:
The scarecrow sets his beloved companions on fire, giving them a /small/medium/large  boost to damage. Flaming scarecrows take damage until they die or the ability is toggled off. Drains 40/80/120 mana per second. Cooldown of 6 seconds (to prevent usage for purely wild toss)

Wild toss:
Tosses a Fetish toward its death, stunning enemies in a small area by 1/1.5/2/2.5 seconds. If the Fetish is flaming, it deals damage based on Wild Toss and Last stand to the target. Fetish is lost in this desperate attack.
Cast time: 1.5 seconds
Manacost: 200/400/600/800

Reengineer:
Scarecrow modifies his fetishes, rendering their movement and attack-speeds higher. Fetish attack rate increases by 5/10/15%, and movement by 7%/10%/15% Enemies attacked by a scarecrow also take a stacking .5%/1%/1.5% slow.

Other skills undecided.

Any thoughts?

+24 Karma | 8 Replies
May 7, 2009 7:53:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It seems like you wouldn't even need the demigod in combat. You'd definately need some actual combat skills for the demigod.

May 7, 2009 8:20:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He Just said that wasn't all the skills.  I think its well thought out and interesting.   

May 7, 2009 9:02:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heres a skill to think about.

Needle in a hay stack: increases chance of critcal damage.

Also he could use the pole he had been hung up on as kinda like a staff. Not a magic staff more like a marital arts staff.

if he did then another skill, a nice combat AoE.

Whirl wind: Swinging his staff wildly for a point of time damages all enemys in the area.

May 7, 2009 9:45:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jdub121686,
He Just said that wasn't all the skills.  I think its well thought out and interesting.   

Yes, and I gave him my thoughts on it.

May 7, 2009 4:54:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I actually agree with Heavenfall in that the skills need massive adjustments. The critical strike is interesting too, and I'll be making adjustments after I get home from my AP tests.

May 7, 2009 7:30:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I LIKE this idea. A lot. Especially his increased interaction with his minions. Some more skills to round out his set and he would be viable and unique.

May 7, 2009 7:32:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is actually one of the few original suggestions I've seen. Most are based off generic things like dragons, wizards, and goblins. We need more original characters like The Rook and Queen of Thorns. They're a walking castle and a fairy with vines for clothing!

May 8, 2009 6:33:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

New skill ideas:

Mark of Hatred-- The Scarecrow's hatred for his enemies run so deep, he is willing to sacrifice himself to see their destruction. The Scarecrow takes a 60%/50%/40%/30% reduction in movement rate and loses 100/150/175/200 mana per second to slow the targeted enemy's movement by 40%/45%/50%/55% and deal 150/200/300 damage per second. During this time, attacking Fetishes gain 50% damage against the target. Lasts 4 seconds. If The Scarecrow runs out of mana before the duration is over, he takes 300/400/500/600 damage. (This would replace Sacrifice, a skill that, in retrospect, I feel has no real purpose on the character.) 50 mana, 10 second cooldown

Needle in the Haystack-- The Scarecrow breaks razor shards off of his pole to form needles, and inserts them into his precious allies. Fetishes gain +5/10/15 damage, Wild Toss gains .25/.5/.75 stun duration, and minions affected by Mark of Hatred gain (living fetishes * .5%/1%/1.5%) movement and attack speed. (Passive, requires 3 ranks in My Friends)

Special thanks to Gallifray for the ideas of Needle in the Haystack and using his old pole as a weapon

The idea here would be that the general plays a support role rather than his minions doing so. His mark would not render him useless in combat, but along with his other skills, it would encourage management of his minions over the character.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.