The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

How does one learn to play?

By on May 5, 2009 9:38:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A simple question, but not seeing any stickies regarding this, I figured I'd post a thread...

I purchased Demigod today and ran into somewhat of a problem right off the bat.

Am I being unusually blind or does the game not have a tutorial...?

Are players just expected to keep playing new games and finding everything out on their own? I'm not entirely against self-discovery and all, but such a method of starting new games has great potential for missing things...important things.

So aye, the question stands: is there a tutorial mode in the game that I've missed? Or is there some other way to learn gameplay mechanics in a comprehensive manner? All the info online seems to focus on separate concepts (the various units, structures, etc.) but not on the gameplay mechanics/goals as a whole, describing Demigod as a "revolutionary game" but never really pointing out exactly what the game is about in a precise detailed manner. Though to be honest, I haven't read that much online yet. I'm just curious as to why the game doesn't seem to have an introductory tutorial like pretty much every other RTS I've ever played.

Informative replies would be much appreciated.

0 Karma | 32 Replies
May 7, 2009 12:36:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yea play in single player mode take your time first at the item shop dont worry if u lose that 1.\

to look at abilities and go here http://www.demigoddb.com/

that will allow u to lay out a lvl 20 guy and look at what the skills do put on the items and look at what damage etc...

May 7, 2009 2:16:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting stryker247,
yea play in single player mode take your time first at the item shop dont worry if u lose that 1.\

to look at abilities and go here http://www.demigoddb.com/

that will allow u to lay out a lvl 20 guy and look at what the skills do put on the items and look at what damage etc...

yes it is very helpful  that site  it also  has all the items and favor items  so u can build a build on it

May 7, 2009 2:48:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting desRow,
the learning curve is ridiculous

Ridiculously easy. I think the only people who would have trouble (or claim to have trouble) learning this game would be complete newbs to the genre (and gaming in general) or lazy people who lack imagination and cant seem to grasp simple concepts like playing an easy single player match and rolling over all powers and abilities (which one would have to do anyway regardless if there is a tutorial or not). DG is one of the easiest games to learn (except for maybe pong which some people still have trouble with).

This whole argument of lack of tutorial is moot because the game itself is so simple. There just seems to be too many kiddies who need mama to hold their hand every step of the way in order to learn the simplest of tasks.

Now I could see if the game was as complex and involved as say Sins of a Solar Empire (which does have fairly decent tutorials), but DG is just straight foreward and simple in its execution that a tutorial would be redundant and useless.

To be honest the only time I ever use a tutorial is if it is part of the storyline (like alot of older titles had), but if I have the option to turn it off, I take it. I prefer figuring things out for myself by trying everything in the game through trial and error methods. It makes the game last that much longer and gives a good solid feeling when the game is actually played for real.

I will, however, admit that some games would benefit from a tutorial. Guild Wars for me took months to get the hang of the balance, economy, story progression and things like that, but that was more due to the fact that there is no other game that really even comes close in comparison. But 3+ years later, the game is pretty straight foreward and the many additions to the original game have increased its "pick up and play" immensly.

May 7, 2009 3:34:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Verkinix,

Quoting desRow, reply 25the learning curve is ridiculous

Ridiculously easy. I think the only people who would have trouble (or claim to have trouble) learning this game would be complete newbs to the genre (and gaming in general) or lazy people who lack imagination and cant seem to grasp simple concepts like playing an easy single player match and rolling over all powers and abilities (which one would have to do anyway regardless if there is a tutorial or not). DG is one of the easiest games to learn (except for maybe pong which some people still have trouble with).

i take offense to the lazy part im the king of lazy ness  and i anit a noob so please dont group people by 1 thing

May 7, 2009 3:43:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Two different groups... Either Newb to genre or Lazy, not necessarily both. Note, I didnt say Noob, I said Newb as in new to the particular play style, not noob as in childish ignorant people who refuse to necessarily learn the game (which I guess I did elude to later in the post). So I suppose there are 3 distinct groups of people iterated within my post.

May 9, 2009 1:03:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I HIGHLY suggest looking into this forum post as it has links to many high quality guides about every aspect of the game.

(Compilation Post - Only post stickied in the strategies section, and for good reason)

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/349958

May 9, 2009 2:36:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Okay I tried setting the game speed to 'Adjustable' but when I went back into the game, pressing "-" only ended up zooming out the view of the arena. It did not slow the game down. Any suggestions?

(edit)

Okay figured it out. If anybody else encounters the same problem, it's the "-" key on the number keypad that works to slow the game speed down. (I was trying to use the "-" key next to the "0" key on the number keys running across the top of the keyboard).

And as far as learning the game, slowing the game speed down to -10 and then turning the master volume to 0 and then just spending about an hour or so going over everything in the skill tree, everything in the item shop, all the upgrades in the citadel and just simply hovering over each object in the arena to read and absorb all the tooltips made a world of difference for me. Having to learn all that on the fly at regular game speed and then putting together a build was out of the question (and somewhat ridiculous). Just won my first match in skirmish. What a rush. Great game.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.