The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Torchbearer: The Immolation Guide (Updated June 4th 2009)

Tips and Strategies, What you need to know

By on May 4, 2009 11:11:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Euandros

Join Date 06/2008
+9

Table of Contents

1. General Strategy "Wait, I'm casting that when?"

2. Items "Gear up and lets roll out"

A.   General Information

B.   Purchasing Order

C.   Utility Items

D.   No Favor/Solve your mana issues  

3. Skill Tree Talents "Ding!"

A. Fire Build I - Constant Build - "How do you like your steak?"

B. Fire Build II - Maximize your damage - "Flame on"

4. Enemy Demigods "What they do - What you need to know"

A. Rook

B. Unclean Beast

C. Torchbearer

D. Regulus

E. Queen of Thorns

F. Sedna

G. Lord Erebus

H. Oak

I. Miscellaneous

5. Tips and Tricks "From Basic to Key"

6. Map Specific Strategies "Leeeerrroooy Jennnnkins!"

A. Cataract

B. Crucible

C. Prison

7. Other Torchbearer Strategies/Guides

1. Overall Strategy for playing Immolation Torchbearer - "Wait, I'm casting that when?"

Note: Without favor this guide is still extremely helpful, and can be mostly utilized except for the possibility of obtaining a Vlemish Facegaurd instead of one of the low tier armors and being more conservative with your spells.

-Buy the favor point item Blade of the Serpent and use circle of fire in addition to the dagger to keep your mana pool full

Blade of the Serpent

-Play conservatively with your spells as to not run out of mana in a vital situation such as against another Demigod
-Never forget that you have your dagger available to recover mana
-Use fireball to enter combat with other Demigods and to catch running Demigods
-Use Circle of Fire to deter chasing Demigods and back up to near the edge of your circle plus cast a fireball as the enemy wades into combat with you
-Use Circle of Fire and Fireball to damage towers if you have the upper hand and aren't concerned about mana at the time
-Use Fire Nova to clear the area of an overwhelming number of grunts, and obviously use your mana regen dagger (Overwhelming means more than one wave)

2. Items - "Gear up and lets Roll Out"

A.   General Information

*Start with banded armor, and a scaled helm at the beginning (combat potion/teleport scroll/banded armor is recommended on larger maps), purchasing available items as gold accumulates if in the unlikely situation you are forced back to go heal and still don't have much gold (Also aim to get the first gold upgrade if it is available)*If you find yourself at the base without enough gold for something more expensive in the armors purchase scalemail/potions/teleport scroll(s) or one of the utility items listed below

B.   Purchasing Order

Banded Armor (550g) -> Nimoth Chest Armor (1,500g) -> Unbreakable Boots (1,500g) -> Platemail of the Crusader (4,500g) -> Groffling Warplate (5,200g) (Groffling first if you have the cash at the time) -> Armor of Vengeance (3,250g) or Narmoth's Ring (4,000g) -> Godplate (10,000g) -> Orb of Vieled Storms (8,000g)

C.   Utility Items

Wand of Speed (1,250g) -> Orb of Defiance (3,750g)

D.   Without Favor Points for Blade of the Serpent

-No Favor for Dagger of the Serpent?   Either save for one of these two off the bat, or replace one or both of the similarly priced items in the purchasing order above.

Vlemish Facegaurd (1750g) -> Plenor Battlecrown(1500g) combined will certainly solve your mana woes.

-Try to stop yourself at one mana item especially if you have the Blade of the Serpent (I suggest having no mana items if possible, especially toward end-game)

Plenor Battlecrown

-Many items are feasible for different uses/situations in a case by case basis, however, not all items are created equal

3. Skill Tree Talents - "Ding!"

A. Fire Build I - Constantly acquire abilities - "How do you like your steak?"

Level 1 - Circle of Fire

Level 2 - Fireball

Level 3 - Fire Aura I

Level 4 - Fireball II

Level 5 - Fire Nova I

Level 6 - Circle of Fire II

Level 7 - Fireball III

Level 8 - Circle of Fire III

Level 9 - Fire Aura II

Level 10 - Fireball IIII

Level 11 - Circle of Fire IIII

Level 12 - Fire Nova II

Level 13 - Fire Aura III

Level 14 - Enhanced Attributes I

Level 15 - Fire Nova III

Level 16 - Inspirational Flame

Level 17 - Enhanced Attributes II

Level 18 - Enhanced Attributes III

Level 19 - Enhanced Attributes IIII

Level 20 - Enhanced Attributes V

- Ending Spec Below -

TBspec

B. Fire Build II - Truly maximize your damage - "Flame on"

Level 1 - Circle of Fire

Level 2 - Fireball

Level 3 - Nothing

Level 4 - Circle of Fire + Fireball

Level 5 - Fire Nova

Level 6 - Nothing

Level 7 - Circle of Fire + Fireball

Level 8 - Nothing

Level 9 - Nothing

Level 10 - Fireball + Circle of Fire + Fire Nova

Level 11 - Fire Aura I

Level 12 - Fire Aura II

Level 13 - Fire Aura III

Level 14 - Nothing

Level 15 - Inspirational Flame + Fire Nova

Level 16 - Enhanced Attributes I

Level 17 - Enhanced Attributes II

Level 18 - Enhanced Attributes III

Level 19 - Enhanced Attributes IV

Level 20 - Enhanced Attributes V

- Ending Spec Below -

TBspec

4. Enemy Demigods - "What you need to know to be effective" -

Rook

A. Rook

*Watch for Boulder Roll/Hammer Smash as they are both theoretically avoidable - run perpendicular to him to avoid boulder roll, and if he manages to get next to you, hammer smash can be avoided by running directly through him, however this leaves you in range of his melee in most cases and on the wrong side of the map.

*Has a high amount of Melee damage, especially after putting skillpoints into it toward higher levels
 Use Circle of Fire to try to take down those pesky towers

Unclean Beast

B. Unclean Beast -

*Medium-Range Spit, that poison when you're fleeing?  It can, and will kill you
*Stun/Life Drain just out of melee range
*Innate Move Speed, expect to be out-distanced

When Unclean Beast moves in for his stun/life drain, time your Orb of Defiance to negate all the damage from it.

IcebearerFirebearer

C. Torchbearer -

*Assume it will be difficult due to Blizzard (1000 damage/slow attack speed)/Frost Nova (Freezes You)/Ice Aura(Slows your movement) to escape an Icebearer

When faced with an Icebearer, you will sometimes have an increased cooldown number, note that it generally takes a small fraction of the time of the displayed number for your ability to actually be up for use again.

*Fire Torchbearer deals a signifigant amount of damage from level 1, his circle of fire maxed out is 1500 damage over 10 seconds, and his fireball maxed is 1050 damage....in addition to his fire nova which is 800 damage.

*Fire Aura will be making the allies of a Torchbearer, and the Torchbearer himself faster (movement and attack speed 5 - 15% dependant on level)

*Ice Torchbearer gets exponentially more powerful the longer the game goes on, level 1-5 he isn't much threat aside from to grunts.

*Ice Torchbearer can also run and shoot, and due to the fact that he slows you, it is likely he will do so if you are retreating.

*Armor has no effect on Torchbearer's spells, stack health against him

Regulus Regular

D. Regulus -

*Mark of the Betrayer (Will make you deal 800 damage to you and surroundings and slow you 60% for 5 seconds when you cast if you are under its' effects) = watch for a white spell effect and the status effect above your trinkets
*Runs and shoots (Keep in mind that he can chase you down)
*Snipe (90 yard range, up to a base damage of 700)
*Mines (450 damage each multiplied by 3 and can have 6 down by the time you see him - they also slow you, 30%)

Utilize minions to clear mines, and if you are oak/erebus jump into immune/mist form to dodge snipes

Watch for if Regulus throws mines during combat, it is often critical to avoid them

(Angel form pictured simply means Regulus is using his mana in order to add damage and a minor splash to his  shots "I'd be faster with wings" is an ironic statement)

RegularQoTQoTClosedNoBubbleClosedQoT

E. Queen of Thorns -

*Bubble Shield to her or ally for 1450 damage absorbtion, short cooldown (Closed form)
*Can eat minions as instant health potions - 2250, also deals 750 damage to those near the minions (Closed form)
*Ranged "Spike Wave" at higher levels in open form deals 650 damage and slows 25% for 5 seconds (Open form)
*Grounds Spikes Area of effect near her for 625 damage and negative 1500 armor for 5 seconds (Open form)

While open, Queen of Thorns has much less surviveability in terms of defensive spells.

Sedna

F. Sedna -

*Burst her down fast toward the end (In general if possible), as at high levels under 30% hp she gets 50 hp a second
*Healing for 1500 and dealing 200 damage to those near the target     
*Innate Move Speed, expect to be out-distanced
*Melee Bite for 1000 damage...will stop your teleport you were casting or anything else for that matter

Interestingly enough, high level torchbearers specced in ice are very effective as a counter to Sedna

LordErebusErebusMist

G. Lord Erebus -

*Melee Bite for 775 drain life, slows you 30%, and lowers your armor by 800 (truly nasty ability)
*Teleports in and out of combat via Bat Swarm
*Turns into fog...drains health and feeds minions/grunts, walk out of it - Also drains his mana quickly and he stays at the center of the mist - He also avoids any attacks that were focused on him before he entered, such as fireballs/snipes
*Area stun for up to 3 seconds, be prepared

ImmuneOak

H. Oak -

*Shield, temporarily he or a targeted ally will go silver and be immune to everything...run for a time/cancel spells you were casting at him/his ally, it is very temporary.
*Last Stand, when he dies, leave the scene...as he will rise again and kill you
*Penitence + Surge of Faith will kill enemies around him and recover his health so keep in mind that it is best to fight him seperate of grunts

With his spirits and minions his minion damage is exceptional, keep an eye open and area damage them down if you can.

Shield plus Heart of Life is a great combo

I. Miscellaneous

Orb of Defiance can be your response to any form of concentrated attack that you cannot escape yet can forsee

() Dealing Damage to Towers as Torchbearer
-Run in, cast circle of fire
-Cast Fireballs after backing out of distance of the tower

5. Tips & Tricks "From basic to key"

Mastery

*Teleport Scrolls at a cost of 250 are a bargain (smaller maps these are not nearly as cost-efficient), and Health Potions at 275-400 (Note length of time to use the potions and scroll as well, as it can readily be used as an escape route in many situations) which will turn the tide of a battle unexpectedly in your favor can be a steal.

*Control the flags to increase your war score and resources/levels at the greatest rate, further distancing you between you and your enemies

*Obtain the first Gold upgrade at your citadel as it is the most beneficial

*Purchase Priests/Angels/Catapults/Giants either as the opponent acquires them, or right beforehand if possible (Selling items may be necessary, as giants are a huge advantage between high amounts of damage and a large amount of health, priests will heal you on many occassions, catapults destroy towers...angels are the least useful) Once you purchase these, the enemy has the opportunity to gain more experience than you.

*Do not extend yourself too far, if you are by yourself and there are two enemies nearby, DON'T go for those southern Crucible flags, they will most likely gank you - Always keep in mind your escape

*While damaging towers and such is great, playing a defensive game where you are in control of the flags is far safer and will exponentially increase your lead as time goes on

*First experience 10% upgrade at the Citadel can be well worthwhile at the cost

*Try to ignore defensive upgrades as long as possible, if they are going to destroy that tower...upgrading health once will be highly unlikely to change that fact - It's all about map control

*Keep in mind that grunts and towers can deal a large amount of damage

*Gain experience and try to level faster than your opponents by *gasp* killing grunts but staying back from thier towers so that they do not and cannot gank you...unless it is at the cost of thier lives

*When an enemy Demigod is fleeing, if you are in pursuit you must continue to click on him periodically to refrain from accidentally auto targeting the nearby grunts/towers with an attack

*Giants' ground pound deals a substantial amount of damage, it is easily avoidable, keep this in mind

*Priests will heal you in addition to your grunts, try running through/around them for a heal or two

*Keep your opponents' abilites in mind at all time, also watch for teleports to structures or buildings so you do not get caught un-aware by one or more enemy demigods

*Flags provide substantial buffs (Note buff by dragging mouse over the flag) to you and your troops in addition to increasing your rate of war score increase so that you may purchase more powerful grunts

*Largely the game is about flag and zone control, every time you let another demigod kill you or your partner you are providing them with an increased advantage in a large sum of gold

*Defend your towers as they are what lends you an advantage in that particular area of terrain

*Try to stay on the field as long as possible near or in combat with grunts, but do not die in order to level at the greatest rate

*Capture Locks can be a highly effective means of keeping an enemy busy, especially when it is late game and you have catas/giants

*Keep in mind your team setup, it is extremely helpful to have at least one person playing Queen of Thorns/Sedna as Support

*Due to the fact many minions/grunts are killed so easily by other demigods, try not to rely on them for fighting enemy Demigods and use them to aid you when destroying towers or blocking enemy grunts

*Assume you are likely to be slower than your opponent and plan for it

*With the use of potions and so much armor it is likely you can take most enemies in one on one combat if they are pursuing you, try to stand your ground, in many cases....fleeing will enable them to win as in order to flee you will stop dealing damage

*Check game options before a custom match starts and be aware of how the changes may effect the game (high spawn rate and powerful grunts can lead to an easy victory via citadel upgrades, or favor items may be off)

*The only requirement for an ability is that you are the correct level, and have a skill point...you can save points from previous levels if desired.

*This is a TEAM game (Unless of course you're playing 1v1), be aware when you are outnumbered and when you have the support of your allies, or how they may/should support you and do your best to support yours

*Strive to never allow the enemy Demigods to kill you as dying reciprocally costs you gold by granting the enemies a large sum

*Many items are feasible for different uses/situations in a case by case basis, use your best judgement, despite the fact that not all items are created equal

*Destroying and or protecting towers can be extremely vital as towers give a substantial advantage on that portion of the map...without them, they have no close refuge by the flags to escape from your wrath.   The first health upgrade in the citadel to structures provides them with hp/sec which will make them stand substantially longer and at a cheap price of 600 gold.

6. Map Strategies "Leeerrrrooooy Jeeennkins!"

Cataract

A. ---Cataract---

If you and a partner rush behind thier lines and steal thier spawn points, followed by a capture lock/teleport when desired/to   escape depending on the battle it may be highly effective.

You may steal the gold flag from the side of thier base without coming within range of thier tower.

With a Demigod with area of effect damage it is highly effective to run up in front of thier towers in the middle lane (out of range) and destroy both paths worth of enemies with a single attack.

It is not entirely necessary to be in the left and right lanes during this match, it is feasible to stand near the experience flag, move foward just out of range of the towers and area damage a large majority of the enemy grunts, and your only major loss will be one flag, which isn't as beneficial as the 20% experience one. (This is a highly effective, although risky move as it puts you in a rather vulnerable position).

Crucible

B. ---Crucible---

In Crucible it is possible to Warp from your base to the center of the map near your portal, I believe Lord Erebus can use his bat swarm to do this as well.

Southern flags leave you in a vulnerable position/too far extended, in the sense that in a 2v2 if you are alone in the south, and the other team is aware of this - they can block you off and gank you on your return route rather easily.

C. ---Prison---

In prison, after Demigods have obtained any stun abilities and so forth, you need to think as a team/pack while playing this map as the flags in the east and west leave you extended extremely far and may allow the enemy team to gank you.

7. Other Torchbearer Strategies/Guides

Torch Bearer - The Coolness

"The Coolness flounders early on, and peaks in effectiveness late game"

Torch Bearer - Fire & Ice

"Farming/Support/Burst/High level Build"

Torch Bearer - The Hotness

"Also a Fire build with some differences"

Demigod Guides Compilation

"Links to builds/guides for every Demigod and more"

Locked Post 32 Replies +2
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 5, 2009 10:35:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great info, I play a very similar style. I was wondering what items(besides pots ad scrolls) you generally buy first and which items you use for hp gain.

May 5, 2009 4:37:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Smurfx,
Great info, I play a very similar style. I was wondering what items(besides pots ad scrolls) you generally buy first and which items you use for hp gain.

Last night I played a match where I purchased scale helm and banded armor at the beginning, purchasing available items as my gold accumulated if in the unlikely situation I was forced back to go heal and still didn't have much gold

scalemail/gauntlets of brutality

Toward the end of the match I had no mana items whatsoever and stacked

Platemail of the Crusader, Groffling Warplate, Unbreakable Boots, Nimoth Chest Armor, and Armor of Vengeance( Obtain Armor of Vengeance after the other four items ) .  

-Items I would suggest in additon to or as a substitute

Orb of Defiance (3,750g)

Narmoth's Ring (4,000g)

-Late Game

Godplate (10,000g) would be my preferable choice over Armor of Vengeance but at the cost of 10k it is unlikely to get it for a long period of time.   Keep in mind that having more items generally equates something better than having a single more expensive item.   Also remember that Orb of Vieled Storms is a trinket at 8,000 (Artifact Shop//24 hp a second 25% attack speed and area damage of 500 on cooldown).

********Added to guide now******

May 6, 2009 2:17:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow this actually compliments my playstyle very well, identified a lot of weak points I had. Playing it this way I don't have to buy a heart of life at all and can concentrate on health and armor.

May 6, 2009 2:30:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hm, my style differs in that I do my best to live up to the Assassin title and get fireball first and foremost.

In fact, I don't get Circle of Fire at all until there's nothing else left to acquire.

Am I wrong in assuming that using Circle of Fire early on makes the Torch Bearer vulnerable? I mean, you basically have to be near your enemies to cast it, and while it might be great against reinforcements, if you face up against a Hound or Rook or anyone doing heavy melee damage, you'll be in trouble, especially while not having Fire Aura at the start to escape swiftly.

May 6, 2009 3:06:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting LordMerlock,
Hm, my style differs in that I do my best to live up to the Assassin title and get fireball first and foremost.

In fact, I don't get Circle of Fire at all until there's nothing else left to acquire.

Am I wrong in assuming that using Circle of Fire early on makes the Torch Bearer vulnerable? I mean, you basically have to be near your enemies to cast it, and while it might be great against reinforcements, if you face up against a Hound or Rook or anyone doing heavy melee damage, you'll be in trouble, especially while not having Fire Aura at the start to escape swiftly.

Circle of Fire in addition to Fireball (You will be acquiring the fireballs as soon as possible except at level 1) is your deterrant to actually being killed and grants you exp/mana at a high rate (In order to pursue you, most demigods will die as your damage output is simply that much greater than thiers if they walk through your fire as you shoot fireballs/autoattack at them).  

Note that most long range abilities that enemies have they will either have to enter your circle to cast on you, and if they were to pursue you in any way shape or form your circle of fire will increase your damage greatly in addition to your fireball (Thus you put circle of fire in front of you and walk back in order to kill grunts/acquire exp/control flags, tossing fireballs whenever anyone is in range)...as not only can you have the circle of fire down, but you can also cast fireball after it has been cast, in addition to the fact that you will NOT be fleeing often, and if you do it will only be to draw enemies into your circle so you can auto attack/fireball them.   If you stand still your auto-attack deals a rather high amount of damage as Fire Torchbearer. 

Lastly, after the initial grab of Circle of Fire, I acquire all but Fireball level 1 immediately, and it can be assumed you will be level 2 before you do much fighting with other demigods and if you do your circle of fire has a high level of damage output per cast at 600 versus fireball at 300, if any at all.   

(Fireball has a 7 second cooldown at level 1 for 300 damage, and circle of fire has a 10 second cooldown at level 1 for 600 damage - obviously at the detriment of slightly decreased range and damage over time for the beginning...however you are going to kill grunts with that circle and level nigh immediately)

In all reality, your circle of fire is your greatest protection against enemies which actually pursue you or enter direct combat with you, while fireball is better for quick pot-shots.

-----------The key here is that you can move after you have casted Circle of Fire and you will level to 2 and obtain fireball almost immediately, in addition to the fact that if you are locked in combat with another demigod circle of fire has a greater damage output over time and will also be used as a method for dettering enemies from chasing you----------- (Also the circle can and will deal damage to more than one opponent, and defeat thier grunts at the same time)---

You are not planning to escape, you are planning to win whatever battle you become engaged in, and if you don't believe you can win a fight, deal a little damage and move away before you become too entangled.

Your damage output is greatly increased by circle of fire, and it is the most mana efficient in terms of using "Blade of the Serpent" to regenerate your mana

May 6, 2009 3:36:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My General Stratagie (with TB) is to get Hevans Wrath as soon as possible =/ maybe im wrong

Then most of what he said is what i would normally do, but i usually try to get any other Assasin DGs on my team to run around with me and pick off other (lone) DGs

May 6, 2009 3:51:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jessemon1324,
My General Stratagie (with TB) is to get Hevans Wrath as soon as possible =/ maybe im wrong

Then most of what he said is what i would normally do, but i usually try to get any other Assasin DGs on my team to run around with me and pick off other (lone) DGs

While Heaven's Wrath is quite handy for picking off extremely low health demigods (or even as an additional piece of burst), and also for clearing the map of small grunts (Which you could do yourself anyway aside from at that distance) ---- 250 damage does not scale well at all especially with the high cooldown, and I can guarantee you will find the Blade of the Serpent far more beneficial overall as it not only increases your damage, and mana pool, it also makes your mana nigh on inexhaustible....

This means that you will be able to stay on the field to continue to level and control (Even deal damage) for much greater periods of time, especially with the added benefit of being able to stack armor which will make it so you will actually survive in combat, shoring up the greatest weakness Torchbearer has.

May 6, 2009 4:01:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Euandros,

Quoting Jessemon1324, reply 6My General Stratagie (with TB) is to get Hevans Wrath as soon as possible =/ maybe im wrong

While Heaven's Wrath is quite handy for picking off extremely low health demigods (or even as an additional piece of burst), and also for clearing the map of small grunts (Which you could do yourself anyway aside from at that distance) ---- 250 damage does not scale well at all especially with the high cooldown, and I can guarantee you will find the Blade of the Serpent far more beneficial overall as it not only increases your damage, and mana pool, it also makes your mana nigh on inexhaustible....

This means that you will be able to stay on the field to continue to level and control (Even deal damage) for much greater periods of time, especially with the added benefit of being able to stack armor which will make it so you will actually survive in combat, shoring up the greatest weakness Torchbearer has.

The only thing i forgot to stick in this last reply was that your Post most definantly helped at an infanant rate. Most people don't just share this type of info. instead they keep it to themselves. For showing me some of my major flaws and helping me cover them, I am most greatful. Infact, i copy and pasted your guide to my word-processer, for quick use.

Thanks

May 6, 2009 4:49:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jessemon1324,

The only thing i forgot to stick in this last reply was that your Post most definantly helped at an infanant rate. Most people don't just share this type of info. instead they keep it to themselves. For showing me some of my major flaws and helping me cover them, I am most greatful. Infact, i copy and pasted your guide to my word-processer, for quick use.

Thanks

Certainly welcome in my book, I feel like I accomplished something with the guide then, and I can't help but like that.   Happy to answer any an all questions within my power as well.  I'll be adding further data in the future as I get more replies/questions.   I intend to write a guide for Rook and Sedna in the future as well.   While many posts contain mostly regurgitated data, I aimed to have mine actually be useful.

May 6, 2009 5:28:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Arsonide,
Wow this actually compliments my playstyle very well, identified a lot of weak points I had. Playing it this way I don't have to buy a heart of life at all and can concentrate on health and armor.

Exactly, playing Fire Torchbearer this way shores up your weaknesses and allows you to be far more versatile and effective than you might have otherwise been.  

I'm personally not that big a fan of Heart of Life in general.

It is far too costly at the benefits, note a similarly priced item for example, the Narmoth's Ring, 8% life Steal, 750 HP, and 20 HP a second and it will enable you to force the other demigod to flee (Plus any benefit to your health while stacking armor is typically phenomenal as it exponentially increases your benefits)......while being able to recouperate quickly is fantastic, not having to flee is much better and has a much lower chance of you die-ing.   Plus you have a flat 750 HP (With life steal and health recovery --It's like a dream come true--) versus thier occassional out of combat recovery of 3000, which when you think about it, isn't as godly as everyone is making it out to be.

Then throw in the fact that with most high quality teams, especially in large scale combat there will likely be a sedna on each team....which should heal, as that is what Sedna is best at doing, spamming heals and surviving.  

I would simply like to point out that at Level 1 you can cast a 600 health heal for 375 mana or you can cast a 400 damage bite for 400 mana.   Not only is the former more efficient, it is likely more vital.   Everyone should remember thier MMORPG basics...Healing is like God making you Invincible except against organized teams who can hit your achilles' heel.

May 6, 2009 2:28:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Was reading the guide and tought to myself where are the movement speed items? How do you outrun ganks? I find your build a bit heavy on the expensive items, you should point out that there should be some spending on the citadel and let the demigods with absurd autoattack damage use their money on the expensive items, late game your skills will not turn the tide as much as they do early-mid, so either going for some autoattack damage or a massload of citadel upgrades i find more deadly then just turning yourself in to the fireballing juggernaught, altho HP is really important lategame.

Also i was wondering on why to take circle of fire as your first skill, i find that between level 1 and 2 its nearly impossible to run out of mana so that can't be the use of it, and for early brawls over crucial map points fireball is more deadly then circle of fire since people can just move out of it. Fireball can be synced with other demigods direct damage spells when your are playing with people on voicecoms.

Last question, and trust me i do not want to sound like a mad scientist who just got his idea stolen (i probably do tho) did you think of the BotS + circle of fire thing yourself or did you get it from my guide?

All in all, nice guide, altho all the things that are diffrent from my guide i find weird.

May 6, 2009 3:06:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I put your guide on my list:

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/349958

But i can't decide if you meant to type the title as:

Torchbearer of Immolation

or

Torchbearer: The Immolation

So I just labeled it "Immloation" for now.  If you have a preference to one or the other, or if the title is the actual title you were after, let me know and I will change the title.

May 6, 2009 3:23:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

- Reply to Drasked

For starters, I came up with the idea of the dagger on my own otherwise I would happily have posted credit - if you want you can take a look at how many matches I played early on and that I tried all the DGs out online to get an idea of how that's possible (The games list function on the leaderboards/account pages works at least).  I started creeping the forums after I wrote most of my guide, and want to point out that I had not even seen your post, so your mad scientist syndrome is coming into play, I am also sure many others used this strategy and simply did not post it.

Circle of fire....you run up, cast it and run back (In front of where you want to stand so in order to hit you, they need to run through it), in all likely-hood you will be level 2 before much combat has passed in the scenario where you would need it....you significantly out damage most demigods with circle of fire up and using auto attack if they are to try to engage you directly, otherwise it is simply a detterant for you to sit on flags.  Circle of fire is also more mana efficient for overall damage 450 mana for 600 damage (Can also damage multiple enemies), versus 300 mana for 300 damage of fireball at level 1.

Mid and late game your abilities will still be highly effective at turning the tide, the sheer amount of damage you can output at regular intervals is always significant, however I do suggest you get at least the gold upgrade 1 if you look closely, and possibly the 10% experience one as well (Also acquire units either as they do, or before-hand within the Tips and Tricks section).   This build is merely a template which grants a high rate of success, it will not always work, and you need to adjust accordingly.

Running is highly over-rated, the opportunity cost in damage is extremely high as torch and make an effort to flee as little as possible...many cases if you are pursued/attacked you will come out on top, be mindful of your enemies and don't overextend, keeping in mind that you will move slow.  Also keep health potions on hand now and then.

I'll be adding a more concrete section about playing without favor later on as I am testing out different item builds right now with that in mind, one major key is to stay flexible item wise and don't engage in combat that you can't win or escape from.   Try it for yourself and see how things work out, it is a highly effective and feasible strategy, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

May 6, 2009 3:34:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sean0883,
I put your guide on my list:

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/349958

But i can't decide if you meant to type the title as:

Torchbearer of Immolation

or

Torchbearer: The Immolation

So I just labeled it "Immloation" for now.  If you have a preference to one or the other, or if the title is the actual title you were after, let me know and I will change the title.

Now that you mention it, that title was a bit stilted, I prefer yours.    Torchbearer: The Immolation it is!

Labeled Immolation is perfect in my opinion.  

Thanks for the compilation post it's fantastic.   Reminded me briefly of how I was thinking that we needed seperate forum pages to differentiate between demigods, however your post makes the current format even better, especially with the sticky.

May 6, 2009 4:52:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wow... incredible guide.  Although I personally love the Erberus build I found somewhere around here on the forums, I can't wait to try this out!! I'm always looking for complimentary play styles

Thank you

May 6, 2009 5:20:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Euandros,
- Reply to Drasked

For starters, I came up with the idea of the dagger on my own otherwise I would happily have posted credit - if you want you can take a look at how many matches I played early on and that I tried all the DGs out online to get an idea of how that's possible (The games list function on the leaderboards/account pages works at least).  I started creeping the forums after I wrote most of my guide, and want to point out that I had not even seen your post, so your mad scientist syndrome is coming into play, I am also sure many others used this strategy and simply did not post it.

Circle of fire....you run up, cast it and run back (In front of where you want to stand so in order to hit you, they need to run through it), in all likely-hood you will be level 2 before much combat has passed in the scenario where you would need it....you significantly out damage most demigods with circle of fire up and using auto attack if they are to try to engage you directly, otherwise it is simply a detterant for you to sit on flags.  Circle of fire is also more mana efficient for overall damage 450 mana for 600 damage (Can also damage multiple enemies), versus 300 mana for 300 damage of fireball at level 1.

Mid and late game your abilities will still be highly effective at turning the tide, the sheer amount of damage you can output at regular intervals is always significant, however I do suggest you get at least the gold upgrade 1 if you look closely, and possibly the 10% experience one as well (Also acquire units either as they do, or before-hand within the Tips and Tricks section).   This build is merely a template which grants a high rate of success, it will not always work, and you need to adjust accordingly.

Running is highly over-rated, the opportunity cost in damage is extremely high as torch and make an effort to flee as little as possible...many cases if you are pursued/attacked you will come out on top, be mindful of your enemies and don't overextend, keeping in mind that you will move slow.  Also keep health potions on hand now and then.

I'll be adding a more concrete section about playing without favor later on as I am testing out different item builds right now with that in mind, one major key is to stay flexible item wise and don't engage in combat that you can't win or escape from.   Try it for yourself and see how things work out, it is a highly effective and feasible strategy, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.

Fair enough, i guess that favor item combo with circle of fire is pretty obvious anyway.

Tho i don't agree with taking circle of fire as the first skill, if you play a lot of pre-arranged games against teams who know what they are doing you will find that fireball as first skill can be pretty essential for making the first few kills. It's not that it matters that much since you will be up to lvl 2/3 fast. But in the initial rush the fireball skill is far superiour to circle of fire in terms of dealing damage against opposing demigods. Once the initial battle is over and people go to their lanes you will usually be lvl 2 already if you got a kill or after the first creep wave dies.

Without the running speed you will find out that when faced up against 1 or 2 demigods (UB, regulus or lord for example) you will not last long after a properly placed stun or snare, especially if they got speed items. Just holding your ground while standing in circle of fire is a bit hopefull if you ask me and that playstyle can result in a lot of feeding. Simply saying don't engage in battles you can't win will imo make you play verry passive and often people try to ambush and there is no way to avoid that without a proper means of escape. Try playing a map like prison without speed items against players that have speed items and it will be annoying to say the least.

What i ment about the expensive items is that i see TB as more of mule char then a carryer in comparison to other demigods that really start to shine once they get those good items. TB shines from lvl 1 and that is why i stressed getting citadel upgrades that much in my guide. Altho a lot of items that you posted i also use, but it depends on the situation a lot. Overall i like to go with upgrades and let another demigod carry in terms of uber items.

As for trying it out, our builds are almost the same. The essence of it is the favor item negating any mana issues and because of that having excess gold to spend on anything depending on the progress of the game. The whole part about not engaging in fights you cant win or escape from is a bit far fetched, it's not always up to you if you can win or escape from battle unless you do not go into battle at all or have a reliable means of escaping.

May 6, 2009 11:41:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting drasked,

Quoting Euandros, reply 13- Reply to Drasked

Fair enough, i guess that favor item combo with circle of fire is pretty obvious anyway.

Tho i don't agree with taking circle of fire as the first skill, if you play a lot of pre-arranged games against teams who know what they are doing you will find that fireball as first skill can be pretty essential for making the first few kills. It's not that it matters that much since you will be up to lvl 2/3 fast. But in the initial rush the fireball skill is far superiour to circle of fire in terms of dealing damage against opposing demigods. Once the initial battle is over and people go to their lanes you will usually be lvl 2 already if you got a kill or after the first creep wave dies.

Without the running speed you will find out that when faced up against 1 or 2 demigods (UB, regulus or lord for example) you will not last long after a properly placed stun or snare, especially if they got speed items. Just holding your ground while standing in circle of fire is a bit hopefull if you ask me and that playstyle can result in a lot of feeding. Simply saying don't engage in battles you can't win will imo make you play verry passive and often people try to ambush and there is no way to avoid that without a proper means of escape. Try playing a map like prison without speed items against players that have speed items and it will be annoying to say the least.

What i ment about the expensive items is that i see TB as more of mule char then a carryer in comparison to other demigods that really start to shine once they get those good items. TB shines from lvl 1 and that is why i stressed getting citadel upgrades that much in my guide. Altho a lot of items that you posted i also use, but it depends on the situation a lot. Overall i like to go with upgrades and let another demigod carry in terms of uber items.

As for trying it out, our builds are almost the same. The essence of it is the favor item negating any mana issues and because of that having excess gold to spend on anything depending on the progress of the game. The whole part about not engaging in fights you cant win or escape from is a bit far fetched, it's not always up to you if you can win or escape from battle unless you do not go into battle at all or have a reliable means of escaping.

In theory, since your circle of fire will kill enemy grunts, and also damage more than one demigod it can be as viable if not more viable than fireball.   In order to damage you at the back of your circle, enemy demigods will at least have to walk into it, and if not....you are killing the grunts in most cases and your grunts will be the method of pushing your opponents back, without you having to be in danger at all.

Knowing what your opponents can do, and being prepared for it is the greatest battle of all.   (Being mindful of your own gear and build versus an enemy is key)   If there are Erebus/Icebearers around, I have to assume that my escape will be more difficult, and adapt accordingly....however more often than not, following this guide you will not be escaping, simply backing off as to not lend them an advantage.        // Yes this is highly defensive in nature, however Demigod is not often an offensive game //

Having potions and teleports prepared can easily adapt for the fact you don't have as much move speed, especially since due to the fact you aren't using your points/money for move speed, you are likely to have an additional hand up if you are forced into combat with your opponent except for when they flee, and no I don't care to catch that demigod already out of my fireball range very much, especially since if we both stack speed I will not likely gain on him in this fashion.

If the enemy demigods are not visible and you are in a position where it is possible for them to double-team / gank you, you are in the wrong place.   Your towers lend you an advantage in that particular portion of the terrain and if you are outside of being near them and die, you were apparently over-extending or the enemies were highly coordinated.

The enemy pursuit of you into your circle of fire generally puts the enemy at a disadvantage in a standoff fight.   Torchbearer does not have to be played as a mule as you mention, however that can also be highly effective since his innate abilities are very potent, however you then sacrifice your survive-ability and will probably need to have things to help you escape as you mention.

May 6, 2009 11:45:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Bakano,
wow... incredible guide.  Although I personally love the Erberus build I found somewhere around here on the forums, I can't wait to try this out!! I'm always looking for complimentary play styles

Thank you

Glad you liked it Bakano, you're certainly welcome.   I tried to actually make it useful as apposed to regurgitated information.

May 7, 2009 1:04:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hm, well, I must say my survivability went way up with Circle of Fire.

I now don't pick up Fireball as soon as mentioned and support allies with Fire Aura and get better stats, but overall, I doubt I'd be doing as well with Fireball as I had been trying to before. Guess I underestimated the power of Circle of Fire.

Great tutorial and followup posts. Much appreciated.

May 7, 2009 4:07:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting LordMerlock,
Hm, well, I must say my survivability went way up with Circle of Fire.

I now don't pick up Fireball as soon as mentioned and support allies with Fire Aura and get better stats, but overall, I doubt I'd be doing as well with Fireball as I had been trying to before. Guess I underestimated the power of Circle of Fire.

Great tutorial and followup posts. Much appreciated.

Thanks LordMerlock!   I will theoretically update it again from time to time, just added some more images today *smiles* Everyone loves images.  I really enjoyed putting the information together and truly enjoy playing Demigod, I hope this helps others in that endeavor.

May 10, 2009 12:27:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow!

Many of these tips look to be useful for any demigod, but I will most definately keep your Torch Build two in mind when I play him next- I have always made the mistake of taking both fire and ice skills, and dancing back and forth between forms. I imagine that might work for someone with a better idea of what they're doing, but for me, I think after seeing you in action and reading your guide I'll stick to one side or the other from now on.

Edit: And I've bookmarked it for later reference!

May 10, 2009 1:37:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks!  

You're certainly welcome, glad to get comments and to have you as a teamate that match, you didn't give up (despite the fact we were behind that domination match)...and because of that in addition to capture locks and teleports we pulled off a win.   Much more than can be said of many allies I've had in the past.

May 10, 2009 9:55:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Played frost Torch Bearer a bit recently. He has some wicked control, but...I've always been one for looks over stats, in any game. Likewise, looks/lore/concept over abilities.

As such, a fiery Torch Bearer is quite a challenge. Having basically only damaging and self/ally buffing abilities makes escaping on time all that much harder. But I just can't resist burning everything in sight. >.<

June 2, 2009 10:33:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have been sticking to frost spec with fireball mostly, but have a question - does fire aura work on TB himself?  Or just his allies?

June 3, 2009 12:40:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Fire aura does in fact work on torchbearer himself, and it is useful to note that most if not all auras work similarly (for example if you are wearing vlemish facegaurd it also provides you with the aura buff, or if you play as Sedna you acquire the HP/regen per second along with all of your allies)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0005485   Page Render Time: