The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Greetings From Singapore

By on May 4, 2009 2:41:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've just purchased Demigod from the Demigod website, and I'm obviously new.

Any asian players out there please give me a shout.

I've tried to connect online a few times (both for online skirmish and pantheon), but was not successful - at best I get a "trying to connect" screen and end up being kicked off. Do I need to disable my firewall to play online ?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

+3 Karma | 273 Replies
May 4, 2009 2:57:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here's an idea: Wait until the game officially launched within your region so you could reasonably connect to people near you instead of people 8,000 miles away.  Because you're never going to connect to someone in say America with a 800-1200 ping just connecting.

May 4, 2009 3:37:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hello, welcome to the game.  Hope you enjoy your online experience, as well as the game.  You should not have to disable your firewall, as that is not what the devs intended for us to have to do. 

Try playing on Monday/Tuesday when the new proxy servers come up I believe and see if you can connect then.  Even though it is already Monday to you I think, try waiting for a day or two!  Also, there is a Developers Journal that says you can try opening your "router ports" and seeing how that works.

Good luck!

May 4, 2009 4:28:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm from Singapore too. Bought the game from a games store; they had a batch imported in. I've been having a blast with some friends every day since. There are numerous nuances that kill some of the game for us but it's pretty good still. Hopeful for the future balance and content patches to come.

What's your nick online btw?

May 4, 2009 5:52:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the replies.

Siphaed - Where are the severs located currently for Demigod ? I used to play Ultima Online when they only had US severs and it was playable (although I would agree that the occassional lag issues were far from ideal). I'm not sure when Demigod would be "officially launched" in South East Asia, and if so, whether there would be any servers allocated specially for this region (particularly for Pantheon games ?).

Ex - I'll try to read up the "opening the router ports" issue and see if I can comprehend it.

Playdoh - Hi ! My nick online is the same (i.e. CitizenKane2). Could I ask a further question - are you playing on Pantheon or Skirmish online ?

May 4, 2009 6:18:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm playing mostly Skirmish and online custom. One problem - I've updated with the beta patch, so if we wish to play together you'll need that too. Alternatively, we could wait for the patch to be official.

One of my Demigod buddies tried Pantheon and ended up with bots most of the time. I don't think we would be able to find enough players before Demigod official launches here on 15th May. Also, I think Frogboy mentioned that they have servers in Singapore.

I'll add you to my Impulse friends list. Yeah I just remembered that the impulse account would be the same as the one we use on the forums.

Interesting choice of nick btw. You like that movie?

May 4, 2009 6:22:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Welcome, Its nice to see new faces

I hope you have a blast

May 4, 2009 6:53:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Playdoh, Which store in Singapore did you get Demigod from?

I cant find any!

May 4, 2009 8:00:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just fixed my post. I forgot to mentioned that I'm playing with my friends online in custom games.

chanbrothers, I bought it from Tec-Drome Pte Ltd at Sim Lim Square.

See here if you need help getting there: http://www.simlimsquare.com.sg/stores_floor/l5?page=5

Be warned though, since it's an import, the prices are about SGD$75. I bought four copies together with my friends and got a goodwill discount such that each copy became SGD$68. Don't quote me on this though, I can't guarantee he'll repeat that feat of generosity.

If you really don't wish to buy from them for whatever reasons, just wait till 15th May for it's launch in Singapore or purchase online from Impulse. For me, I simply wanted it NAOW and wanted a physical disc instead of simply a digital download hehe.

EDIT: Just in case, they do NOT have the collectors edition, which I wanted but settled for a normal copy.

May 4, 2009 8:14:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I got it at S$70 for 1 copy. I am sure you can bargain a bit. If not  i also do suggest waiting for the 15th. Since online play is not very good at the moment. I trust by then the Proxy server should be up and hopefully online play will be better.

I did have a few games mostly with US player they are more welcoming to higher ping (Ping ~300 with StarHub) no lag. But currently it is quite hard to join game when they see ping above 300.

Great game BTW. Worth buying for sure once the promised online play fix is made.

BTW do add me to the Singapore player list.

May 4, 2009 8:18:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi again Playdoh.

I purchased the digital download because I couldn't find any hard copies of the game in Singapore. I didn't know that Tec-Drome had it.

It would be great if Demigod had an official launch in Singapore (or better yet, a server ) - I'll definitely keep an eye out for it.

P/S I never watched the Citizen Kane movie, but only read about it.  It's been my in-game nickname since the old Ultima Online days.

P/S/S Hmm .. maybe I better explore the Impulse thing a bit more - didn't know it had an add-friend list. All I saw were more games on sale via digital download when the Impulse screen loads up.

May 4, 2009 9:10:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yo, I've already sent a request to have you on my friend's list, you too 8BBQ8. Hope to see you dudes online soon!

Oh regarding Citizen Kane: I once took a course in uni concerning the study of film. Citizen Kane was once of those case study movies. It was apparently the movie where many new camera techniques, that we now take for granted, were used.

May 4, 2009 9:18:26 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Is the Film and History in NUS?

Took the module as it did not have any exam.

Hope to see you guys in game too.

May 4, 2009 11:17:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi guys, just got the game today... add me to the list

May 4, 2009 11:23:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Heya! Glad to see a new SEA player, hope you'll enjoy this game as much as I did  BTW Malaysian here. Please add me in your list so we can get a game or 2 sometimes!

Got the same bad experience, got kicked off my first game 'cause of 300 ping lol... Ever since have been playing with friends through LAN...

If I'm not misinterpreting, frogboy did mention something about a proxy server in Singapore. I'll keep my fingers crossed for that  

P.S My ingame name is jihang2000, 'cause I just changed my login name, but my ingame name wasn't changed due to known database error  

May 4, 2009 12:05:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

hi everyone yet another player to the SG demigod community

nice to meet you.

gonna go ahead and add everyone (:

May 6, 2009 7:39:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quick general question - what is port forwarding ?

I've yet to be able to connect to any online game (whether skirmish or custom). I keep getting stuck at the "attempting to connect to [name]".

I would be grateful for any assistance, particularly from another player in Singapore (I'm on Singtel).

Also, if one were to use GameRanger, is port forwarding still required ?

May 6, 2009 7:47:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CitizenKane2,
Quick general question - what is port forwarding ?

I've yet to be able to connect to any online game (whether skirmish or custom). I keep getting stuck at the "attempting to connect to [name]".

I would be grateful for any assistance, particularly from another player in Singapore (I'm on Singtel).

Also, if one were to use GameRanger, is port forwarding still required ?

not sure about gameranger since I don't use it.

Port forwarding is something you have to do in your router...depending on what brand your router is the steps taken are different. Hard to help without knowing what brand it is.

May 6, 2009 9:12:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was planning to just paste the wikipedia link to port forwarding but I doubt that would explain much as it still uses quite a lot of jargon.

I took this bit from the article as I think it summarise the need for port forwarding quite well:

"In a typical home networking setup, internet access is through a DSL or Cable modem. That modem may be connected to a router, which is then connected to the networked computers by Ethernet or WiFi. The router is the device that the Internet sees; it holds the public IP address. The computers behind the router, on the other hand, are invisible to the Internet as they hold a local IP address each. Port forwarding is necessary in the router because computers will send information directed to the public IP address and the router needs to know where to send that information."

If you need help doing the port forwarding, you can use this site: http://portforward.com/

Just search for your brand of router (I assume you're using one, if you're not then this doesn't apply to you at all) and then the game and it would show you the steps you need to take depending on your brand of router. Demigod isn't on the list yet, but fortunately the steps should all be practically identical, the only difference being the port number(s) you need to forward. For that, just look at Frogboy's post here: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/350609. The range is apparantly from 6100 to 6200.

May 6, 2009 9:59:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Singapore plays fine with AUstralia latency wise btw

May 6, 2009 11:10:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm not sure I can even begin to understand the "port forwarding" concept

How does Impulse Reactor fit into the scheme of things ? Is it a seperate program I need to install ?

May 7, 2009 4:19:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CitizenKane2,
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm not sure I can even begin to understand the "port forwarding" concept

How does Impulse Reactor fit into the scheme of things ? Is it a seperate program I need to install ?

If you've played Warcraft 3 online through Battle.net before, the analogy is there. Demigod is the game, while Impulse is the match-making service (to allow players to connect to each other and play together) just like Warcraft 3 is the game while Battle.net is the match-making service.

It's already build into the installation (part of the game package) and not a separate install. When you login through the interface in Demigod, you're doing it using your Impulse account.

May 7, 2009 4:35:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cool Thanks for the explaination. (Now I wished I played on Battle.net, since I'm not entirely sure what you mean ).

I'll try to tinker with my computer tonight to try to access the online part of Demigod. Wish me luck !

May 7, 2009 4:46:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm ... maybe let me ask a more basic question - as matters stand :

(a) Is it currently possible to play any skirmish / custom online game without port forwarding ?

( Is port forwarding also a requirement for pantheon games ?

May 7, 2009 5:01:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CitizenKane2,
Hmm ... maybe let me ask a more basic question - as matters stand :

(a) Is it currently possible to play any skirmish / custom online game without port forwarding ?

( Is port forwarding also a requirement for pantheon games ?

You've mentioned that you're using Singtel; is it a pure modem or the version where the router is integrated with the modem? If it's the latter, then you're connected to the internet via a router and should try port forwarding if you're having problems connecting to other players online.

Pantheon games are no different from the usual Skirmish or Custom games in that they should all be using the same mechanisms to connect all players up.

I think I saw you online the other day through my in-game friend's list. So you've probably already accessed the online part of Demigod; in this case logged in with your Impulse account.

If you wish, we can arrange a particular time online and I can help you see if you're able to connect to another player at all - in this case, to me.

May 7, 2009 5:13:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Contecting to the Impulse account doesn't require any port-forwarding, I think.

When connecting to any skirmsih / custom game, I get stuck at the "trying to connect" screen.

I'll try to go online within the next 2 nights (probably between 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm) and see if I can hook up with you. Thanks.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000438   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.