The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Getting EXTREME lag 2000+ ping in all 3 vs 3 games.

By on May 2, 2009 3:14:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is this a result of my internet connection, or is there something else I'm missing. I followed The_Monks guide on setting up a network for Demigod, but I still get these problems. I am wondering if it could be the "cascading nat" scenario because I have a DSL router modem.... which is then hooked up into a wireless router. Could this maybe be the case? Or just my internet connection?

is that normally sufficient for this game? I don't get lag in most other games, if rarely. Aslong as I find a good server i'm perfectly lag free, although that maybe because those are server/client games.

Just to let you guys know, 2 vs 2 games work well enough. 3 vs 3 though... like topic title says, I get 2000+ping almost every game. It fluctuates and jumps all over the place. I am not downloading anything while I play, I also shut off firewalls, so forth, as well as running what The_Monk guides suggests doing. Any ideas what could be the problem?

According to speedtest my internet speed is...

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL] It fluctuates obviously... But I assume this is considered a 768kb connection right? When I download things my normal speed is 90.KBps

+17 Karma | 27 Replies
May 2, 2009 3:28:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bump

May 2, 2009 3:46:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bump.... need some help please. Appreciate it.

May 2, 2009 5:19:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A 3on3 needs about 15kb/s upload. You have ~16kb/s upload. I don´t see, why your ping would be so extremely high. But your ping to the nearest server at speedtest.net is very high. Do you have other persons using your connection at the same time?

May 2, 2009 5:30:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Nokthra,
A 3on3 needs about 15kb/s upload. You have ~16kb/s upload. I don´t see, why your ping would be so extremely high. But your ping to the nearest server at speedtest.net is very high. Do you have other persons using your connection at the same time?

As far as I know, no. I'd made sure. I powered off Nintendo Wiis, Iphones, and other things that could be hogging bandwidth. I still am not sure. I cannot think of anything else that could be getting in the way. Like I said though 2 vs 2 games are fine, but 3 vs 3 I get really high 1000-3000 pings. Sometimes a player will drop out, and the problem is fixed, so far 3 vs 2 also works relatively fine. I just want to elaborate that this happens in EVERY 3 vs 3 game. The player dropping out only happened once.

May 2, 2009 5:57:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In a 3on3, does every player has a 2k+ ping while you´re hitting tab? If there are only a few, or only one, this guy is probably from an other country and your connection isn´t good enough to deal with this distance.

May 2, 2009 9:05:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Your upload is not high enough for 3v3 and beyond in a P2P based game.

May 2, 2009 4:59:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Nokthra,
In a 3on3, does every player has a 2k+ ping while you´re hitting tab? If there are only a few, or only one, this guy is probably from an other country and your connection isn´t good enough to deal with this distance.

Every player displays a huge a lag of between 1000-3000, and in every game they all bitch at me and tell me to leave. lol. So I assume it's obvious there is something I'm doing wrong or it's just my connection. I just found out though, that my anti virus has a "p2p shield" and it was on the high setting. I am going to troubleshoot tonight to see if that was the problem... however as the other poster said, my upload probably just isn't high enough. I will post again with the results of turning off the P2P shield on my antivirus, but to be honest I'm pretty sure my connection is flat out the problem. I just really hope it isn't...

May 2, 2009 5:12:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

who bumps 14 mins after post

May 2, 2009 5:14:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting woca,

The same sort of person that needlessly comments on other people's bumping habits without adding anything to the thread?

To the OP: They're hardly panaceas, and the nature of your problem might be intractable with these, but have you tried playing games over GameRanger or Hammachi?

May 2, 2009 5:36:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting scyldSCHEFING,

Quoting woca, reply 8who bumps 14 mins after post
The same sort of person that needlessly comments on other people's bumping habits without adding anything to the thread?

no, the answer was a moron, good try

o ps, great post, game ranger is filled with pirates, few legit ever

May 2, 2009 5:52:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Protocept00,

Quoting Nokthra, reply 3A 3on3 needs about 15kb/s upload. You have ~16kb/s upload. I don´t see, why your ping would be so extremely high. But your ping to the nearest server at speedtest.net is very high. Do you have other persons using your connection at the same time?
As far as I know, no. I'd made sure. I powered off Nintendo Wiis, Iphones, and other things that could be hogging bandwidth. I still am not sure. I cannot think of anything else that could be getting in the way. Like I said though 2 vs 2 games are fine, but 3 vs 3 I get really high 1000-3000 pings. Sometimes a player will drop out, and the problem is fixed, so far 3 vs 2 also works relatively fine. I just want to elaborate that this happens in EVERY 3 vs 3 game. The player dropping out only happened once.

Not to treat you dumb but do you have security over your network. What mean by security like a pw and only certian devices with mac addresses allowed on your network.Someone next door could be useing ur network id\f you do not.

Also if your going wireless that may be the problem it should not matter but it could be.

May 2, 2009 6:01:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have the exact same problem as you. Basically i could never play a 4v4 or 5v5 game online, because of this. I wanted to make a thread about this, but i've said to myself to wait 'till next week patch(es).

May 2, 2009 7:39:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This has been happening to me as well.  I *can* get some 3v3s to run fine, but then a few games will spike up.  I just now exited a game that ran ok for 20 mins, then 3k pinged me.  I exited so the other players could still finish the game.

I ran the broadband speed test immediately after, and got very poor performance (4megabit/down).  About 5-10 minutes later, checking it agian, it was averaging 12-14 megabits down (2.9 up) which is expected for comcast.

I'm wondering if all the p2p is just crushing the router?  I haven't tried doing it directly through the modem.  Or perhaps comcast is throttling me?

Also - it is worth noting that I *am* using a wireless connection to the router, though with those speed tests you'd think it'd be ok.

May 2, 2009 9:41:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ceylin, I use comcast as well. I didn't start having this problem until 2 days ago. my games generally work fine but every now and then i'll get random 2-3k ping spikes that last maybe 10-15 seconds. the game stabalizes soon after. I've tried all the networking/router setup magic i can think of. i'm starting to think it's related to the wireless though. i have someone visiting and the spikes tend to happen right as they connect to my wireless network. I'm hardline connected to the modem, though. I'm out of ideas.

May 2, 2009 9:42:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting woca,

Just making sure I can get some help on the issue so I can continue enjoying my game. Why don't you go fuck yourself instead of bumping my post with a useless and idiotic comment. I hate idotic people like you, need to be shot and mutilated. Completely useless.

May 2, 2009 9:44:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting stryker247,

Quoting Protocept00, reply 4
Quoting Nokthra, reply 3A 3on3 needs about 15kb/s upload. You have ~16kb/s upload. I don´t see, why your ping would be so extremely high. But your ping to the nearest server at speedtest.net is very high. Do you have other persons using your connection at the same time?

Not to treat you dumb but do you have security over your network. What mean by security like a pw and only certian devices with mac addresses allowed on your network.Someone next door could be useing ur network id\f you do not.

Also if your going wireless that may be the problem it should not matter but it could be.

Yes, I have security on my network. I use WEP with rotating passwords. No, I am not dumb. Demigod is the only game I have connection issues and lag with, thus why I am here trying to figure this out as I've never had a problem before.

May 2, 2009 11:37:12 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

This is an issue with Demigod -and- Dawn of War 2, as soon as you reach a "critical mass" of players (usually 6, so a 3v3) the spiking occurs. I've run around in circles trying to identify the cause, the game, the connections, the players, the PC, the ISP etc etc. My current avenue of approach is that because the game is p2p and uses TCP/UDP as soon as you transfer to 5 other people, your ISP is flagging you as a filesharer and hitting you with a DoS attack (which then prevents you from sending any information at all, hence the spiking). I'm going through my send/recieve packets one by one from the last game i had to try and corroborate this.

May 2, 2009 11:53:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is comcast known to do this? Does anyone know?  Because that would be a large bummer if I could never get in a big game to do packet shaping.

May 3, 2009 12:50:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting XSive_Death,
My current avenue of approach is that because the game is p2p and uses TCP/UDP as soon as you transfer to 5 other people, your ISP is flagging you as a filesharer and hitting you with a DoS attack (which then prevents you from sending any information at all, hence the spiking).

Again, if this is true, you can avoid this problem using GameRanger or Hammachi. I can't play DG for a similar reason, that I get huge pings when I try to use the native netcode. However, I can use GameRanger to play DG.

May 3, 2009 12:57:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have yet to see a legit Demigod game on Gameranger. Kinda disappointing. I don't really want to play with pirates, nor do I want to rollback the updates just to play with them.

May 3, 2009 1:36:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Protocept00,
I have yet to see a legit Demigod game on Gameranger. Kinda disappointing. I don't really want to play with pirates, nor do I want to rollback the updates just to play with them.

Again, GameRanger is the only way I play the game, and I only play against purchased and fully upgraded players, so I can attest to the fact that there are people playing the game with legitimate copies.

At the very least, testing the game with GameRanger will let you know if it's an intrinsic issue with your upload speed or if it's possible that your network is just de-prioritizing P2P connections.

May 3, 2009 2:27:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting scyldSCHEFING,

Quoting Protocept00, reply 20I have yet to see a legit Demigod game on Gameranger. Kinda disappointing. I don't really want to play with pirates, nor do I want to rollback the updates just to play with them.
Again, GameRanger is the only way I play the game, and I only play against purchased and fully upgraded players, so I can attest to the fact that there are people playing the game with legitimate copies.

At the very least, testing the game with GameRanger will let you know if it's an intrinsic issue with your upload speed or if it's possible that your network is just de-prioritizing P2P connections.

Would it be alright if I added you to my gameranger friend list so we can do some 3 vs 3 and above connection tests?

May 3, 2009 2:59:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Of course! My name on GR is the same as here.

Though Frogboy was lamenting elsewhere that the community is fracturing due to things like GameRanger, I'm happy to have another legitimate person join up the GR Demigod community, so long as they can't play the game using Impulse.

May 3, 2009 4:39:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting scyldSCHEFING,
Of course! My name on GR is the same as here.

Though Frogboy was lamenting elsewhere that the community is fracturing due to things like GameRanger, I'm happy to have another legitimate person join up the GR Demigod community, so long as they can't play the game using Impulse.

I agree, I just got done testing a game ranger 3 vs 3 to see if that helps. Well, I found out I just flat out need to upgrade my connection. My upload just isn't fast enough. Hoever, I can still host and play 2vs 2 just fine... still gonna upgrade though. Add me to your gameranger though regardless! I'll be hopping on game ranger from time to time to play with players who cant connect to the main game.

May 3, 2009 9:21:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't think the speed of your connection is to blame. I have the same problem as you with spikes, and my internet connection is better than yours:                                                               

Please note that it's the same server as you tested, but i'm from Europe, ~5650 miles away. And the spikes i get are with european players, not US players!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000359   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.