The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Late Thursday night status update

By on May 1, 2009 2:41:58 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

We got a really good new build from GPG this evening that has a cure for those people who have experienced in-game disconnects along with some in-game exploits and a few other things (favor points, achievements, etc.).  So we spent a lot of time this evening working on that.

Meanwhile, I turned over the Proxy server setup to the enterprise team at Stardock to speed that up (for those of you not familiar with Stardock, we’re 70% an application company, 30% games with very distinct development teams).  Basically I turned over the Proxy server work to the Impulse development team since they already have built the infrastructure around Impulse.

The connection servers, which is one of the areas some people (and we have reproduced this) are having a lot of pain with is something we’re still working on (2:30am as I write this) but we’re nearing the end of productive work on this.  Basically, it’s a problem of scaling. The classic what works for 500 people falls apart when used by 5000 people at once.  But a lot of progress has been made there as well.

Anyway, we’re going to call it a night and come back tomorrow to continue on the integration.

Now, as some people have heard, we are going to release this update as a “beta”.  Impulse has an option for users to be able to try out pre-release software on it.  Warning though, if Demigod MP is already fine for you, don’t mess with this.

Here’s how you make use of this feature:

We expect to have this up tomorrow.  But I’m not making any promises as we don’t want to take a chance of putting something up that leaves people stranded (or having to re-download the whole release game again).

Update: Friday afternoon

We've finished integrating GPG's changed with the Raknet changes with the CVP changes.  But we have still not resolved the issue of why it takes so long for 2 people, after being connected, to get into the lobby when there's a heavy load as the database seems to now be able to handle it (we set up a bunch of new servers) but there is still a random several second delay between when it says someone is connected and when it actually even attempts to insert them into the game lobby.

+912 Karma | 81 Replies
May 1, 2009 2:44:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

rest well, and thanks for the news

May 1, 2009 3:20:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the update. I'm just starting work now .

When you wake up, it'd be good to understand if you perhaps going to release the favor/achievements fixes as a regular patch, and the proxy/connectivity stuff as a beta patch? Or both as one beta patch?

Cheers!

May 1, 2009 3:24:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, thank you very much for the update.

May 1, 2009 3:38:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sounds like a bright future patch....

I can't Wait....

It would be nice to have my favor points I have earned online. Also I played alot of single player and it wiped all my favor and items..

Thanks for working hard!!

May 1, 2009 3:44:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's hard for me to wrap my brain around the idea Stardock is only 30% a game company.

May 1, 2009 3:50:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting kerzain,
It's hard for me to wrap my brain around the idea Stardock is only 30% a game company.

Luckely they are. That's why they are very dedicated to customer satisfaction

May 1, 2009 3:52:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the update.

I assume people who update to the beta patch will only be able to play multiplayer with others people who updated to the beta?

May 1, 2009 4:06:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Appreciate that you're keeping us up to date on what's going on, Frogboy.  I hope these proxies work out really well for those of us who have to rely on GameRanger.  Competition is a little thin there--fewer players means fewer matches, meaning the metagame is less complex and competitive and I'll have a lot new tricks to learn once integrating with the core playerbase.  Fortunately these forums exist to keep me appraised of the builds and strategies most people are using.

May 1, 2009 6:24:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Get some sleep!

May 1, 2009 7:04:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

does the beta fix the favor?

May 1, 2009 7:06:52 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

From what I can tell the update isnt online yet. Simplest option is to just backup your demigod game (under c:\program files\stardock games\demigod, also why cant we choose the install directory ) before updating.

May 1, 2009 7:20:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thanks for the update, now get some sleep!

May 1, 2009 7:24:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MoD_Legion,

From what I can tell the update isnt online yet. Simplest option is to just backup your demigod game (under c:\program files\stardock games\demigod, also why cant we choose the install directory ) before updating.

You can, but it will be the base install directory for any game downloaded through Impulse.

1. Go to preferences
  2. Advanced Settings -> Folders
  3. Select "My Games" and then you c an change the install location. DO NOT use a root drive (e.g. F:\ <- BAD), so F:\Games or whatever is fine
And if you would like to create an Archive, you can right-click on Demigod and select "Archive". It will place those files in the "Archive File Location" that is also under Prefs -> Folders. Then if you want to restore it, you can do so by selecting the "Restore Archive" option under the big Impulse menu.
Anyway, hope that helps someone

May 1, 2009 7:56:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ah sweet, I installed my SoaSE normally (also a direct download), it never prompted for an install dir for Demigod though so I figured it wasnt possible =D.

May 1, 2009 8:09:20 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting platycus,
Thanks for the update.

I assume people who update to the beta patch will only be able to play multiplayer with others people who updated to the beta?

In the first journal that mentioned the beta patch Frogboy said that you should be able to play with people without.. but since the beta patch now is going to have a bunch of fixes, not just connection stuff, I'm not so sure.

May 1, 2009 9:28:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm, not really sure about this.

Are the proxy servers somehow included in this beta build thats going to be released, or are the new build and the proxy servers seperated??

May 1, 2009 9:54:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The connection servers, which is one of the areas some people (and we have reproduced this) are having a lot of pain with is something we’re still working on (2:30am as I write this) but we’re nearing the end of productive work on this.  Basically, it’s a problem of scaling. The classic what works for 500 people falls apart when used by 5000 people at once.  But a lot of progress has been made there as well.

My concern with what you stated, "we're nearing the end of productive work on this". Are you giving up on making this better? Is Stardock unwilling or unable to get a better solution implemented? Or were you referring to only the near-term solutions?

May 1, 2009 10:11:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lol dont freak out Ferazel im sure he meant it about the current project..and he wrote it at 2:00am.

May 1, 2009 10:13:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm, I'm going to remain out of the beta til it's official I don't want my game to be broken for Finals Week...hehe

May 1, 2009 10:20:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

All I hear is blah blah blah

It is still broken and no good fixes coming soon

May 1, 2009 10:39:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

so, umm.. any hope of us Europe DSL users connecting to games any time soon?

May 1, 2009 11:03:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

3 am, and you're going to sleep, huh?

I think you mis-understood the directives from God. You're supposed to get 1-2 hours of sleep per *month*, not per *night*.

Get back to work! You're not scheduled to sleep until June 1st!

Har Har

Seriously though, sounds like you guys are burning the midnight oil. Hope you get a chance to relax in the very near future. Multiplayer seems to have gotten much better for me lately (very few issues in general).

May 1, 2009 11:35:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting The_Regicide,
so, umm.. any hope of us Europe DSL users connecting to games any time soon?

That's tied to the proxies, as is my understanding. So, hopefully soon.

May 1, 2009 11:51:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ferazel,

quoting post

My concern with what you stated, "we're nearing the end of productive work on this". Are you giving up on making this better? Is Stardock unwilling or unable to get a better solution implemented? Or were you referring to only the near-term solutions?

I was referring to how much more we could do at 2am.

May 1, 2009 12:22:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can you please clarify about being able to play with people who aren't using the beta build, when you are?

Also, is GPG working on the alt-tab crashes? (if you alt tab 5 times, you are guaranteed to crash at least once)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000907   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.