The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Better than I expected.

By on April 30, 2009 11:39:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

DeeBeeP

Join Date 04/2009

I'm going to come out and admit it, I pirated the game. Due to the fact that there was no demo and reviews have been less than stellar, citing all the technical problems. I still held out hope for the game and wanted to try out some singleplayer.

I've gotta say, I'm really blown away by the game. Graphics are awesome, arena's are all well designed, Demigod's look awesome and their all unique with their playstyles awesome customization through abilities and items. I'll definitely be picking up the retail if I can find any in town.

I've been practicing with singleplayer and even though there's no tutorial what-so-ever I've gotten the hang of some of the Demigods but I really want to take what I've learned online and see how I fare against all the DotA vet's. I never tried DotA but I hear Demigod is pretty similar.

Considering that the game is essentially multiplayer only and that a Serial key is only required for online play, I'd say that Stardock/GPG should market the game as a free digital download so anyone can download and try out some singleplayer Skirmish's and charge the $39.99 for the multiplayer serial key.  My 2 cents.

Locked Post 36 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 30, 2009 11:50:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Glad you like the game.   We hope you'll support Stardock and GPG and buy it.  I think you'll find the investment well worth it.

Welcome to the community.

May 1, 2009 12:19:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

IMO, someone should track his IP and sue the guy.

Fact: People don't just pirate ONE game.  This guy MUST be a repeat offender.

His "honesty" is also indicative of how bad the pirate situation IS.  This man(or boy) has absolutely NO fear of any retribution from anyone for his ILLEGAL actions.

ITT: BURN HIM! ClEANSE HIM IN THE HOLY FIRE!

May 1, 2009 12:27:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Chaosnaska,
IMO, someone should track his IP and sue the guy.

Fact: People don't just pirate ONE game.  This guy MUST be a repeat offender.

His "honesty" is also indicative of how bad the pirate situation IS.  This man(or boy) has absolutely NO fear of any retribution from anyone for his ILLEGAL actions.

ITT: BURN HIM! ClEANSE HIM IN THE HOLY FIRE!

That's not over the top at all...lol sheesh, the dude is going to buy the game and you just want to burn him. He's a pirate (arrgh) big whoop. I say props to you DeeBeeP, I may not agree with the whole pirating but that's your choice and I'm not going to judge you for it see you in the Pantheon

May 1, 2009 12:38:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Granolan2021,

That's not over the top at all...lol sheesh, the dude is going to buy the game and you just want to burn him. He's a pirate (arrgh) big whoop. I say props to you DeeBeeP, I may not agree with the whole pirating but that's your choice and I'm not going to judge you for it see you in the Pantheon

It's people like you that let the problem get out of hand.  Just think of first Batman (the dark knight series)-  criminals (and pirates are criminals) flourish under the sympathy of society.  So, this mentality that you expressed is exactly why pirates like him are so brazen as to admit their crime!  Sure, THIS time he is paying for a largely multiplayer product, but what about next time he pirates?  He won't pay!

So what your opinion is doing is O.King the constriction of the P.C gaming industry.  I say, no tolerance!

May 1, 2009 12:45:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's people like you that let the problem get out of hand. Just think of first Batman (the dark knight series)- criminals (and pirates are criminals) flourish under the sympathy of society. So, this mentality that you expressed is exactly why pirates like him are so brazen as to admit their crime! Sure, THIS time he is paying for a largely multiplayer product, but what about next time he pirates? He won't pay!

So what your opinion is doing is O.King the constriction of the P.C gaming industry. I say, no tolerance!

Fair enough, but I'd rather authorities spend their time chasing rapists and serial killers, but that's a whole different dept. You have a very good point

p.s. I really REALLY like you picture

May 1, 2009 12:48:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

a

May 1, 2009 1:16:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So you're a thief. Okay. Whether you buy the game or not, you're still an idiot.

May 1, 2009 1:19:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, please send me death threats for wanting to try out a game before dropping $40 on it, especially in a crap economy that we live in now a days. I would have gladly made a judgement on the game if there was a demo but unfortunately there isn't one and the only one's at fault for not supplying a demo is Stardock.

On top of that, Demigod's metacritic score is only a 77. If I'm going to spend $40 then I'm going to make damn sure I get my $40 worth. But of course, I must just download pirated games because I'm out to rob a developer of their money. It's completely inconceivable that I would torrent a game to determine if it was worth my paycheck in the first place.

Anyone who is willing to drop any amount of money on a product or service without fully evaluating it's value is an idiot or just has plenty of daddy's cash to blow. As far as I'm concerned Stardock should be on their knees thanking me for going out of my way to download the game, try it out, and am now giving them the $40 I consider they have earned.

If the Demigod community is really as conceited as half the posters in this topic then I might have to pass and take my money elsewhere. Jumpgate's only a 2 or 3 months away so I might just save my $40 for that instead.

May 1, 2009 1:21:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Chaosnaska,

Sure, THIS time he is paying for a largely multiplayer product, but what about next time he pirates?  He won't pay!

Several recent studies indicate that pirates buy more product than non-pirates.  Something to ponder.

May 1, 2009 1:25:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Melric,

Quoting Chaosnaska, reply 4
Sure, THIS time he is paying for a largely multiplayer product, but what about next time he pirates?  He won't pay!

Several recent studies indicate that pirates buy more product than non-pirates.  Something to ponder.

So ummm... where's your source for that statement?

As to the OP, congrads on buying the game! Trust me, it should be a lot easier to not have to manually download all the patches that Stardock + GPG will release over the next few weeks, an issue that pirates'll have to deal with.

May 1, 2009 1:33:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't like pirates just as much as the next guy and blaming the economy for not spending is a weak foundation to stand on. The thing is, if people aren't spending the economy becomes stagnant and are only adding to the problem. Just something to consider.

May 1, 2009 1:43:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Chaosnaska, are you a developer / publisher / content creator?  What do you do for a living?  

What gives you insight into the extent to which piracy does / does not damage the revenues of people who make games?

Trying to find and sue potential customers is something the RIAA does, I don't think stardock is particularly keen on that sort of an image.

I'd also question your willingness to take BAT MAN as a good indication of how crime works.  Consider that it's not just a fictional piece, but a comic book movie, one of the most fantasticly wild imaginations let loose style works available.

I'm not presenting anything to contradict your beliefs, but step back a bit and consider how possible it is that you're wrong about a few key assumptions there, and if so, is such a hard line stance really appropriate?

May 1, 2009 1:45:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Jacarr,
I don't like pirates just as much as the next guy and blaming the economy for not spending is a weak foundation to stand on.

Wow, move out of your parents house, get a full-time job, pay all your bills, then come back and talk. 

May 1, 2009 1:45:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh, and while I'm at it, here's another anecdote.

I attended a LAN where 14 people played a pirated copy of the game.  From that LAN 5 people have now bought the game, I asked all of them and they said that if they hadn't played it, they wouldn't have bought it (most of them probably wouldn't have even knew it existed)

That is a clear cut case where piracy has helped the developers

May 1, 2009 1:57:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DeeBeeP,
Yes, please send me death threats for wanting to try out a game before dropping $40 on it, especially in a crap economy that we live in now a days. I would have gladly made a judgement on the game if there was a demo but unfortunately there isn't one and the only one's at fault for not supplying a demo is Stardock.

On top of that, Demigod's metacritic score is only a 77. If I'm going to spend $40 then I'm going to make damn sure I get my $40 worth. But of course, I must just download pirated games because I'm out to rob a developer of their money. It's completely inconceivable that I would torrent a game to determine if it was worth my paycheck in the first place.

Anyone who is willing to drop any amount of money on a product or service without fully evaluating it's value is an idiot or just has plenty of daddy's cash to blow. As far as I'm concerned Stardock should be on their knees thanking me for going out of my way to download the game, try it out, and am now giving them the $40 I consider they have earned.

If the Demigod community is really as conceited as half the posters in this topic then I might have to pass and take my money elsewhere. Jumpgate's only a 2 or 3 months away so I might just save my $40 for that instead.

Another retarded pirate trying to justify his actions. Sighs...

Look, we don't care. You don't need to announce to everyone that you pirated the game. What.. are you expecting some kind of standing ovation for purchasing the game? I mean yeah it's great to see you supporting a developer who spent years making the game and needing to make some money themselves.... but uh... we don't give a shit that you pirated. There's nothing good about that and it can't be justified. A thief is a thief. The reason I say this, is because just by admitting you pirated one game, we know you're admitting to pirating other games... and those developers and creators weren't not recieving money, because you stole it from them.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy the game. It really is a good game... but why can't you just support your favorite muscians, game developers, filmmakers, artists, poets, so on and so forth... they what they do because they love it, but is a little coin so much to ask?

May 1, 2009 1:59:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Melric,

Quoting Chaosnaska, reply 4

Um, wow. And where did you get these "several recent studies" from, eh? I saw some other recent studies that say you're an idiot. Any truth to that?

May 1, 2009 2:11:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Every copy of a game downloaded does not equal a lost sale.

- The majority of pirates who download a game had no intention of purchasing it in the first place.

Every copy of a game downloaded has potential to equate to a purchase.

- A pirate who downloads a game with no previous intention to purchase may be inclined to purchase the retail

Despite all the dubious coverage you hear on videogame piracy (which is more often than not authored by a Publisher); A lot of it is bloated, over exaggerated, and just plain inaccurate. The simple truth is that it's relatively impossible to determine the amount of sales comparative to the amount of pirated copies downloaded.

My situation is the fact that I would have never thought of buying Demigod with out being able to get a few hours of play from it and then deciding to purchase it or not. Now that I have gotten to play it I am more inclined to buy compared to no chance of buying it beforehand.

May 1, 2009 2:20:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Protocept00,

Look, we don't care. You don't need to announce to everyone that you pirated the game. What.. are you expecting some kind of standing ovation for purchasing the game? I mean yeah it's great to see you supporting a developer who spent years making the game and needing to make some money themselves.... but uh... we don't give a shit that you pirated. There's nothing good about that and it can't be justified. A thief is a thief. The reason I say this, is because just by admitting you pirated one game, we know you're admitting to pirating other games... and those developers and creators weren't not recieving money, because you stole it from them.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy the game. It really is a good game... but why can't you just support your favorite muscians, game developers, filmmakers, artists, poets, so on and so forth... they what they do because they love it, but is a little coin so much to ask?

If you really didn't care then why the hell did you reply to this thread in the first place, and better yet why do you continue to reply to the thread?

But lets take a look at the games I've downloaded the past year and a half:

- Unreal Tournament 3

- Bioshock

- Mass Effect

- Prince of Persia

- Dawn of War 2

- Crysis Warhead

Now lets take a look at my bookshelf and see what games I've bought in the past year and a half. Well now would you look at that:

- Unreal Tournament 3

- Bioshock

- Mass Effect

- Prince of Persia

- Dawn of War 2

- Crysis Warhead

"those developers and creators weren't [not] receiving [recieving] money, because I [you] stole it from them."

Please, step down off your pedestal there preacher boy.

May 1, 2009 2:25:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why isn't Demigod on your list?

May 1, 2009 2:26:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Granolan2021,

It's people like you that let the problem get out of hand. Just think of first Batman (the dark knight series)- criminals (and pirates are criminals) flourish under the sympathy of society. So, this mentality that you expressed is exactly why pirates like him are so brazen as to admit their crime! Sure, THIS time he is paying for a largely multiplayer product, but what about next time he pirates? He won't pay!

So what your opinion is doing is O.King the constriction of the P.C gaming industry. I say, no tolerance!
Fair enough, but I'd rather authorities spend their time chasing rapists and serial killers, but that's a whole different dept. You have a very good point

p.s. I really REALLY like you picture

Nah I'd rather the authorities authorize families to take care of that themselves

May 1, 2009 2:29:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Proto, take a look at his post ignoring the piracy related comments.  Stardock/GPG should have a free demo version of their game, surely that's something that's a worth while suggestion isn't it?

As an aside DeeBeeP, have you considered an online purchase?  It's cheaper and since you've already got the game files you won't have to download it all.

May 1, 2009 2:41:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,
Why isn't Demigod on your list?

Lawl.

May 1, 2009 2:47:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting TheTrav,
Proto, take a look at his post ignoring the piracy related comments.  Stardock/GPG should have a free demo version of their game, surely that's something that's a worth while suggestion isn't it?

As an aside DeeBeeP, have you considered an online purchase?  It's cheaper and since you've already got the game files you won't have to download it all.

I agree that a demo should've been made available, no denying that. However, I think it's fine that a developer release a game on their own terms. Afterall, a demo is never an actual representation of a final game and for example, a game like Mass Effect... a demo would be compleltey retarded. You would not be able to experience the developers intentions in a demo. Demos are fine for FPS games with no Storyline, and games similar in nature.

Demos are a good and bad thing. They can be good for measuring your computers performance on a game before purchasing as well as being able to get a feel for gameplay. However, a developer can often lose sales and proft by dishing out a demo because, one, they have to make the dmeo which requires more man hours, two, some people are just flat out jaded and assume that because they played the demo they know how the game is... the demo ended up sucking, and now they don't want to buy the game which could've ended up being a game they normally would love... but all because the demo was bad and couldn't show the player the true gist of the game, he doesn't buy it.

May 1, 2009 2:55:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DeeBeeP,

Quoting Protocept00, reply 15

If you really didn't care then why the hell did you reply to this thread in the first place, and better yet why do you continue to reply to the thread?

But lets take a look at the games I've downloaded the past year and a half:

- Unreal Tournament 3

- Bioshock

- Mass Effect

- Prince of Persia

- Dawn of War 2

- Crysis Warhead

Now lets take a look at my bookshelf and see what games I've bought in the past year and a half. Well now would you look at that:

- Unreal Tournament 3

- Bioshock

- Mass Effect

- Prince of Persia

- Dawn of War 2

- Crysis Warhead

"those developers and creators weren't [not] receiving [recieving] money, because I [you] stole it from them."

Please, step down off your pedestal there preacher boy.

Because. I clicked on the thread expecting something else, but no, it's another thief try to curry I don't know.. favor (pun not intended)? Attention? I don't know, can't figure it out. It's nice that you like to announce to the world that you pirate games, but on your part it was kind of idiotic, because once the government actually starts cracking down on piracy (which if you've been following world events is happening), well hell, you kinda just gave yourself away, no? "LOOK AT ME IM A PIRATE, I STEAL STUFF THEN MAKE JUSTIFICATIONS BECAUSE I CAN!! MY OPINION MATTERS!!! STARDOCK SHOULD BE WORSHIPPING ME BECAUSE IM A PIRATE AND BOUGHT THEIR GAME AND IF THEY DONT BOW DOWN TO MY EVERY WILL IM PIRATING THEIR NEXT GAME GAHAHAHA"

May 1, 2009 2:58:04 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Welcome to demigod, have fun.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000828   Page Render Time: