The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

"Fan"tastic support from stardock

By on April 30, 2009 5:26:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The Fan is in quotes because that's what it takes to say they have good support at Stardock.  For those that have followed some of my postings and gripes on multiplayer not being playable you know the history.

Basically I complained on this site to let others know that it really isn't fixed yet (even though some fans claim it is).  And I get called a whiner.  So I then get told to take them up on their Gamers Bill of Rights (GBOR).  So I email stardock and request a full refund.  They say I have to mail the product to them and wait several weeks for a refund...oh and I have to pay shipping and insurance charges.  At no point did I ever agree to the terms of the refund as I requested that they pay shipping and they said nope.  So the deal was off.

Well they then revoke my license from using demigod!  That's right they revoked my license on demigod.  Yeah I know the fanboys [Derogatory statement removed. You talk to your mother like that?] will get a good laugh at that, but I got to tell you I haven't received that bad of support even when dealing with Indian Dell support 6 years ago.

Stardock has taken poor support to a whole new level.  I would give them a grade of F, but that would mean they coudn't get worse and from what I'm seeing they are working on getting worse.

Don't believe the hype that fans spew about their support...any company that will revoke a license key while the customer is still out his $40 is a sham of a company.  If it was a mistake I'll accept their apology and promise to not allow this to happen to other customers.

+2 Karma | 79 Replies
April 30, 2009 5:35:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

insurance for what?

April 30, 2009 5:35:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds a bit weird, but maybe it is a mistake, try to contact and lay down the situation for them.

On a sidenote though, AFAIK you ALWAYS have to pay the shipping and stuff, when you want a refund for a product.

April 30, 2009 5:37:59 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Blackwing_dk,
Sounds a bit weird, but maybe it is a mistake, try to contact and lay down the situation for them.

On a sidenote though, AFAIK you ALWAYS have to pay the shipping and stuff, when you want a refund for a product.

Nope there are a ton of companies that pay return shipping--especially when it's a defective product.

But they admitted to what they did and said if they activate my license they won't allow me to get a refund in the future (even if they never fix the game!)

April 30, 2009 5:38:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

blowing steam, bad research day....

April 30, 2009 5:39:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Tototot,
insurance for what?

The way these guys are acting if I don't insure it what proof do I have that I sent them my game?  They will just say they didn't receive it.  So I need to insure the shipment or I'm just out $40 and no game.

April 30, 2009 5:40:21 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Reply #4

chevelleking

Member No.3,560,775

Karma0

April 30, 2009 17:38:02

QQ some more, seriously is this what our society has come to people like you? I'm not saying Stardock is good or bad at whatever, but you really are going out of your way to prove something when you could have spent the last hour of your life doing something useful.

I think it's very useful when I'm warning others of stardock's lies.  I wish someone had warned me before I bought the the game.

April 30, 2009 5:50:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Is there a certain amount of time before you cannot send it back?

If not, I would really just hang on to it for awhile, I'm giving them some slack because they seem like a different company then the rest, yea it doestn' always work, but I have the perception that they are working very hard to get it going for us, priority #1 and only #1.

April 30, 2009 5:55:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nah, you're just trying to be a martyr and exposing the "great evil" that is Stardock. You asked for a refund, they told you what to do and cancelled your registration. I'm sure they can re-activate it if you tell them you aren't going to take the refund, but you didn't even do that and instead just came on the forums screaming bloody murder.

Grow up.

April 30, 2009 5:55:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting chevelleking,
Is there a certain amount of time before you cannot send it back?

If not, I would really just hang on to it for awhile, I'm giving them some slack because they seem like a different company then the rest, yea it doestn' always work, but I have the perception that they are working very hard to get it going for us, priority #1 and only #1.

Good question about the timing thing, but I guess my timer is up because I already contact them so they go by...if you contact us we revoke your license! 

But yeah, if they don't have this fixed in 1 month...does that mean people have to return it before then to get their partial refund or will the time to return it expire?  I don't think stardock really thought out the implementation of the GBOR and instead just thought it made for some great marketing.  They never thought they'd release a game that was this broken so now they are struggling to fix it and deal with consumers within their Gamers Bill of Marketing Ploys.

April 30, 2009 5:55:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Schlista,

If you don't want the game, we will be glad to refund it for you, as we have already stated and issued a return authorization for.

If you do want the game, let us know and you will be all set.  You cannot have it both ways.  We cannot issue a return authorization and have the game sent back to us months or years later, it simply does not work this way.

I have responded to you by email.  Please let us know what you would like to do.

April 30, 2009 5:58:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Basically I complained on this site to let others know that it really isn't fixed yet (even though some fans claim it is). And I get called a whiner. So I then get told to take them up on their Gamers Bill of Rights (GBOR). So I email stardock and request a full refund.
Why do you not wait for the next patch and the proxy system? Isn't that much less of a hassle?

April 30, 2009 5:58:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Nah, you're just trying to be a martyr and exposing the "great evil" that is Stardock. You asked for a refund, they told you what to do and cancelled your registration. I'm sure they can re-activate it if you tell them you aren't going to take the refund, but you didn't even do that and instead just came on the forums screaming bloody murder.

Grow up.

That's exactly what I did do...then I came on here and posted about it.  Right now I'm waiting on their response on whether or not I will be able to get a refund if they still don't fix the multiplayer.  THey said if they re-enable my account then I can no longer get a refund in the future...so I'm like WTF!  That means you don't have to fix you broken game and I'll be stuck. So they have me over a barrel either I return the game and get 85% of my money back (since I have to pay shipping).  Or I hold on to it and pray it will eventually work.

Right now I'm leaning to sending it back and getting the pirated version because I hear that one is actually playable on gameranger.  Evidently there are more pirated copies being played vs. copies sold.

April 30, 2009 5:59:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Spooky,

Why do you not wait for the next patch and the proxy system? Isn't that much less of a hassle?

Evidently it is becuase I asked for a Full Refund but they only give partial becuse they don't cover shipping, but now that I've asked I have to make a decision.  Keep the game forever or get my refund now.

April 30, 2009 6:02:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting MeliBee,
Schlista,

If you don't want the game, we will be glad to refund it for you, as we have already stated and issued a return authorization for.

If you do want the game, let us know and you will be all set.  You cannot have it both ways.  We cannot issue a return authorization and have the game sent back to us months or years later, it simply does not work this way.

I have responded to you by email.  Please let us know what you would like to do.

You mean you want it both ways.  What I'm irked by is the fact that you said if I don't return the product now I can never get a refund in the future (even if the game never works).  So Stardock is saying they are going to fix it, but if it doesn't get fixed I'm screwed.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? 

Option A) I can reclaim about 85% of the cost of the game by returnning it. 

Option B ) Wait and hope you get it fixed but if you don't I'm SOL.

April 30, 2009 6:12:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Annatar11,

Grow up.

Could not agree more.

Schlista, have you tried a setting other than "petulant" in your correspondence with both Stardock and the DG community?

I bet you'd find far better help with both if you did such.

April 30, 2009 6:14:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't really see what's unreasonable about their position...  As I understand it, this is pretty much what happened...

1) You emailed Stardock to get a refund, as you aren't willing to wait while they attempt to fix the product.

2) Stardock said, sure, just send us the box back with a receipt and we'll give you a refund of what you paid for the box.  Stardock then disabled your Demigod account, as you don't want it anymore - you just asked to return it.

3) You have a hissy fit about having to pay to post it to them yourself, even though if this was some other publisher, you'd be out of luck with no hope of reclaiming any cash whatsoever.  It's worth noting, if you had bought digitally over Impulse you would have got a full refund with no need to pay postage, but because you bought it off someone else (ie, Stardock received probably less than half the price you paid for it), Stardock are giving you a full refund of the RETAIL PRICE, and you just have to pay to ship it back to them.  Seriously, how are you hard done by in this scenario?  If anything you should be ranting that the store you bought it from won't give you a refund, not Stardock!

4) Stardock politely say "No, we're not paying your postage"

5) You change your mind and decide to keep the game, but now your account is locked because you're half way through the refund process.  

6) Stardock give you the option - either you don't want the game and the refund goes ahead, or you're happy to keep the game and the refund is off the table permanently.  They're not a rental service.  Sounds fair to me. 

7) You come and rant in the forums mean old Stardock, with a very selective version of events that excludes anything that make Stardock look reasonable.

8) (Future prediction, yet to take place) You call me a Stadock fanboy for not seeing what else Stardock could reasonably be expected to do better in the above chain of events.

Did I miss anything?

April 30, 2009 6:15:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting KenoLFD,

Schlista, have you tried a setting other than "petulant" in your correspondence with both Stardock and the DG community?

I bet you'd find far better help with both if you did such.

They are welcome to post my emails in this thread (all of them and only all of them) and you can see how I asked.  Just remove my IP addressess, email addresses and name from the email and they can post them right here and you can decide if I'm behaving in a way that pleases you.

April 30, 2009 6:19:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting SimRex,
I don't really see what's unreasonable about their position...  As I understand it, this is pretty much what happened...

1) You emailed Stardock to get a refund, as you aren't willing to wait while they attempt to fix the product.

2) Stardock said, sure, just send us the box back with a receipt and we'll give you a refund of what you paid for the box.  Stardock then disabled your Demigod account, as you don't want it anymore - you just asked to return it.

3) You have a hissy fit about having to pay to post it to them yourself, even though if this was some other publisher, you'd be out of luck with no hope of reclaiming any cash whatsoever.  It's worth noting, if you had bought digitally over Impulse you would have got a full refund with no need to pay postage, but because you bought it off someone else (ie, Stardock received probably less than half the price you paid for it), Stardock are giving you a full refund of the RETAIL PRICE, and you just have to pay to ship it back to them.  Seriously, how are you hard done by in this scenario?  If anything you should be ranting that the store you bought it from won't give you a refund, not Stardock!

4) Stardock politely say "No, we're not paying your postage"

5) You change your mind and decide to keep the game, but now your account is locked because you're half way through the refund process.  

6) Stardock give you the option - either you don't want the game and the refund goes ahead, or you're happy to keep the game and the refund is off the table permanently.  They're not a rental service.  Sounds fair to me. 

7) You come and rant in the forums mean old Stardock, with a very selective version of events that excludes anything that make Stardock look reasonable.

8) (Future prediction, yet to take place) You call me a Stadock fanboy for not seeing what else Stardock could reasonably be expected to do better in the above chain of events.

Did I miss anything?

Yes you did miss one key step.

Between step 2 and 3 I let them know that I needed them to reimburse the shipping charges.  Then they replied saying they couldn't do that.  So that means no agreement was made on the process to refund the product.

Also they should not disable my account until they process the check...so they want to have my money while they take 5 weeks to process my payment.  Not sure that makes sense to me either.

Also in terms of not being able to get a refund later...they still haven't fixed their broken crap.  It's not a rental if it's not playable.  If they can't fix it within a month...I will send it back and take the partial refund (because the won't give back shipping charges).

April 30, 2009 6:21:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting schlista,
Evidently it is becuase I asked for a Full Refund but they only give partial becuse they don't cover shipping, but now that I've asked I have to make a decision.  Keep the game forever or get my refund now.
I don't think he meant "forever". If it still doesn't work after the next improvements, I am sure that you will still be able to get a refund.

April 30, 2009 6:25:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Also something for you defenders of stardock to consider...what do they do if I DON'T use the same email address to ask for the refund?  They have to either tell me they need my ID so they can deactivate my account before I can ship it back to them.  So yeah, I'm pretty sure they just read my posts here and thought we'll get even with him and ban his account.  How dare someone complain about our borked up game.

April 30, 2009 6:27:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Spooky,

I don't think he meant "forever". If it still doesn't work after the next improvements, I am sure that you will still be able to get a refund.

Here's their email to me:

You requested a refund on Demigod, which was authorized, so your serial number was deactivated. If you no longer want a refund for Demigod, your serial number will be reactivated, but we will not authorize another refund if you change your mind again.

April 30, 2009 6:29:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sounds like my 9 year old brother.

we all had issues, but instead of going online and bitching about it, we dealt with it and overcame (mostly) with the help of Stardock and GPG.

Go get your refund and never play again, frankly, you're the kind of whiny bitch that usually probably gets bitch-slapped whenever you complain (Im guessing you complain alot, you seem pretty good at it)

Quoting schlista,

Quoting Spooky, reply 19

Here's their email to me:

You requested a refund on Demigod, which was authorized, so your serial number was deactivated. If you no longer want a refund for Demigod, your serial number will be reactivated, but we will not authorize another refund if you change your mind again.

Good, I'd be glad to be done f@%$^#%#with your punk-ass too... 

April 30, 2009 6:30:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this game jsut got a release yes ? its not even released in europe yet...

It's normal for companies to have a struggle with online games, when they are released, every company cant predict how their servers will behave.

I just bought the game, and i cant connect probably, but i still dont go apeshit on Stardock, they made an incredible beautiful game, and they just need to polish there multiplayer abit.

Think of Age of Conan fyi. That game were crashing and servers were down at launch people were yelling at FunCom on there website, but they got the game working.

Btw, you said that you could keep the game and hopefully they would fix the game ?

How many companies releases a triple A title, and has gotten great reviews, and just let theur players not be able to play online ? The company have even stated that they are working hard to make it work, do you like the game, keep it. If you dont get a refund and stop trying to make everyone else turn their back to Stardock

April 30, 2009 6:32:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ah, well. I wouldn't take the refund. It's only 31€ and you can still have fun in Single Player or with friends over Hamachi or on LAN parties. At least I have (I am completely unable to play online too).

April 30, 2009 6:35:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Regarding the step I missed, your first email requested a refund I presume?  And they, with no quibbling (aside from postage) kicked off the process of getting you a refund...  That sounds like good service to me...

I have to agree that 5 weeks does sound a very long time, but I guess that's because they're not really set up for making payments by cheque to individuals with a short turnaround - again, if you'd bought on Impulse, getting a refund would probably have been much easier.  But still, if you don't want the game, you don't want the game, regardless of how long it takes for a refund to get back to you, so where's the harm in disabling your account, when you have no interest in using it?

I don't get how you can say Stardock "has taken poor support to a whole new level" bearing in mind that if you had bought a game made by EA, Activision Blizzard, Eidos, Ubisoft or anybody else at all, and tried to get a refund, you wouldn't even have got this far...  Instead, with one single email request from you, they set the wheels turning to get you a refund, which will end up essentially (ignoring the postage) with them giving you around $20 out of their own pockets for trying the game and not liking it.  Doesn't sound a bad deal to me...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000609   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.