The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

When pure isn’t pure

By on April 29, 2009 4:23:07 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

There is a website called Reclaim your game that purports to be an anti-DRM site.  I received an email today from a user that includes a link to an article on that site arguing that Stardock can no longer be considered DRM free because Demigod requires a user create an Impulse account (UserID and password) to logon and download updates to Demigod.

I would happily respond there but their site requires me to create a Prism forum account (UserID and password) to logon to make posts and I just can’t abide by such anti-consumer DRM…

+912 Karma | 151 Replies
May 9, 2009 11:09:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

sda

Quoting Frogboy,
Their article says:

As much as we like Stardock, their new title Demigod now requires a single online activation and as such, cannot be considered “DRM free” anymore.

Now I am clueless when it comes to technicalities here, but since you only need to activate the game to play online and to get updates, does that mean that every single game that has a CD key or username/password uses DRM? If so, I can't really see the point in a stance against that, seeing as there would be no protection to multiplayer networks from pirates without that.

Having to create an account to post is no differnet than many other forums, including this one.  You sir, have stooped as low as they have and it doesn't look good for you except for your blind fanboys.

I've been banned by much better forums and always given a reason.  I've also had several posts deleted with no indication as to why.  you silence quietly as needed an hope your fanboys don't notice.  I've PMed a mod with no response.  What's your story?

May 9, 2009 12:09:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You have to register in almost every forum to post. I can set a board so guests, moron, idiots and fanboys can post but I´m not doing it. Besides, it isn´t too hard to make a fake mail and fill false data

Frogboy wrote :

I would happily respond there but their site requires me to create a Prism forum account (UserID and password) to logon to make posts and I just can’t abide by such anti-consumer DRM…

This in a idiot sentence, period. A DRM is a form of encrypted application used in games that invades the computer´s use(RING0 process, STEAM data minings, etc). This doesn´t happen when you log in into a forum.

I don't think you get Forgboy's comment.

You are right that every forum requires an username and password. However it can be drm invassive things to, like tracking application hidden your username to find what you are doing on the internet.

When you guys freaked out over Demigod not being drm free a while ago, he made the following statement you quoted as an irony to your policy. The game only requires one more thing than registering to a forum, a cd key which has been around for like 15 years and the only reason why its there is to make sure you are a vaild customer and then you can download it and update it as many times as you want.

So basicly Frogboy saying this:

1. Forums require a username and password
  2. Stardock Games require a username, password, and cd key.

So there is nothing different, he was stating the irony in your sensitive anti-drm policy with a simple sentence comparing how it is not even different than a forum.

May 9, 2009 12:43:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DarthCaedusMorgan,

I don't think you get Forgboy's comment.

You are right that every forum requires an username and password. However it can be drm invassive things to, like tracking application hidden your username to find what you are doing on the internet.

When you guys freaked out over Demigod not being drm free a while ago, he made the following statement you quoted as an irony to your policy. The game only requires one more thing than registering to a forum, a cd key which has been around for like 15 years and the only reason why its there is to make sure you are a vaild customer and then you can download it and update it as many times as you want.

So basicly Frogboy saying this:

Forums require a username and password
Stardock Games require a username, password, and cd key.

So there is nothing different, he was stating the irony in your sensitive anti-drm policy with a simple sentence comparing how it is not even different than a forum.

you forgot to mention you need impulse in order to obtain any update and play multiplayer.  you can download patches from an FTP server from any other non-Digital Rights Management game.  impulse must manage your right to download a patch.  i've used other programs with DRM and when downloading patches didn't work then tech support provided a link for a direct download.  This has NOT happened with this company.  it's been asked from tech support and here by other people and has not been provided.

May 9, 2009 5:16:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I see here child on BOTH sides saying uber idiots things when criticizing Stardock. And when criticizing me/RYG.

I´m moving on, but before I do. I´ll remember the kiddos here that I ´m one of the techies in the Spore lawsuit and my Securom Technical FAQ is well known about the net.

When you say I don´t know about DRM. You are embarrasing yourselves even more.

I´ve heard some jackass here says that RYG says all DRM is bad. Well, he have missed we are currently speaking with DRM vendor Byteshield, and we have evaluated it. So far we aren´t against it, because it respects customers for now.

I´m gonna apologize, for discussing with 12 kiddos, I shouldn´t have feeded the trolls so much.

Because this is a lose/lose situation, and since this blog comments are now arguing just for arguing I´m gonna ruin your fun. I´m moving on. Speak with the wall.

PS: Those who are unfairly and unaccurately criticizing Stardock, you are being childs too.

I have a forum to run. Laaate!

May 9, 2009 5:34:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank you.  Come again

May 9, 2009 7:56:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

xXAequitasXx first off I said I was a member of both RYG & Stardock so don’t go saying your people our people because you both are my people and both are not respecting each other. I am Anti DRM in any forum and I would like to see it gone from games. When I first started playing PC games you did not have any of this crap. Good old install and play without the 5" floppy most likely before your time I bet. I am a old gamer and I don’t believe piracy is as bad as these gaming companies say it is There is no proof of any piracy for fact proven in a court of law. I feel it is used to make sure the game is no good after an amount of time and then force you to buy a new one which I will never do (limited activations). Brads system up to Sins is ok by me but if he has made it worse then I cant support it as it was on the edge of violating my freedom as a U.S. Citizen with laws that protect me and the items I buy and I know Brad knows what I am referring to.

Oh and as for Boycott its working at EA, and UBI Soft they are getting the message, what I was saying is Stardock is no where the size of EA and it could not hold up to a boycott to the likes EA has gotten for PC games. If he has plans to sneak in a EA type DRM he will lose & so will all of use who love Stardock games. 

You many not care about freedom in the sense of having no DRM or having it but many do more then you know. 

Enjoy...

May 9, 2009 10:08:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I think the thread should be dead now locked, no more should be added.

May 11, 2009 9:08:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting FlyByU,
When I first started playing PC games you did not have any of this crap.

Bull. The heyday of the PC had copy protection - code wheels, random word checks out of the manual, etc..

May 11, 2009 9:26:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not to mention needing a legit cd in your bay.

Edit: That's when I started playing, don't hate me.

May 11, 2009 10:21:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Although you could take your CD out of the tray after launching (if you chose the full install) most of the time. Back then, you had to make a tradeoff - do you want to install those huge 100 mb games and need no CD or do you want to save your precious space and use the CD.

May 11, 2009 10:38:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i've used other programs with DRM and when downloading patches didn't work then tech support provided a link for a direct download. This has NOT happened with this company.

Since Impulse updates only the required files, there is no packaged update available for patching from retail version. that is also the reason why updates can be made fastly available.

BTW, Impulse anywhere http://anywhere.impulsedriven.com/ allows you to get the latest available version for installation on a computer with limited/non existent internet connexion, but it is full download.

May 11, 2009 11:00:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I hope both Stardock and RYG will just amicably sort out this issue and close it once and for all. It has become very unproductive since all it has done is polarize the Stardock loyalists and the RYG loyalists.

Both Stardock and RYG have done a lot of good work in defeating stupid DRM and we should be promoting both Stardock's and RYG's good work. The only winners in this squabble are SecuROM and Steam.

May 11, 2009 4:13:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Florence,
I hope both Stardock and RYG will just amicably sort out this issue and close it once and for all. It has become very unproductive since all it has done is polarize the Stardock loyalists and the RYG loyalists.

Both Stardock and RYG have done a lot of good work in defeating stupid DRM and we should be promoting both Stardock's and RYG's good work. The only winners in this squabble are SecuROM and Steam.

Indeed. The saddest part of all this is DRM stance-wise they are both on the same side. A misunderstanding occurred and was initially handled badly on both sides.

On RYG's side, the initial error has been corrected.

On Stardock's side the initial flame stands.

So it goes. Though I have lost respect for the leadership at Stardock, I still respect their stance on how to treat customers (ie, not assuming they are criminals), so I will continue to buy their games. The rest really isn't that important. I just wish the rift were healed.

May 11, 2009 7:15:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

On Stardock's side the initial flame stands.

So it goes. Though I have lost respect for the leadership at Stardock

What's done is done--it would be disingenuous to hide it after the fact. Brad gave RYG the details to contact him properly/officially. The only thing I'd really say is uncalled for is the continued bickering here after that point. If not for that, the thread would have already faded to the deep back pages of the forum and been done.

May 12, 2009 8:38:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

What's done is done--it would be disingenuous to hide it after the fact. Brad gave RYG the details to contact him properly/officially. The only thing I'd really say is uncalled for is the continued bickering here after that point. If not for that, the thread would have already faded to the deep back pages of the forum and been done.

While I generally agree, in cases like these I favor a proper dialogue over just letting things fade. Perhaps if Brad or his secretary had responded to attempted communication in the proper/official channels, but as is, this is the only functioning medium for communication.

Maybe you are right though. I will just let this one go.

May 12, 2009 11:00:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting DatonKallandor,

Quoting FlyByU, reply 6When I first started playing PC games you did not have any of this crap.

Bull. The heyday of the PC had copy protection - code wheels, random word checks out of the manual, etc..

LOL thats funny DatonKallandor because if they had all that on a floppy and the HD's back then were very small a few games would have filled up the HD with just the copy protection you say it had. Also all that would not have fit on a 5" floppy not enough room. Most games then were not even 1mb. You want a old game I still have many for DOS and you can do your best to find this DRM/Copy Protection all you want to its just not there. Back then the protection was called Copy Right...

This is what a 5" floppy looks like since I bet many of you never seen one in your life.   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Floppy_disk_5.25_inch.JPG

May 12, 2009 12:39:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lawl, unless they are raving anarchists, who feel that property as a concept is wrong then I think they might be a bit confused as to the idea of managing rights vs route kitting computers and restricitng the rights of consumers.... aka the real DRM debate.

May 13, 2009 12:47:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting FlyByU,
LOL thats funny DatonKallandor because if they had all that on a floppy and the HD's back then were very small a few games would have filled up the HD with just the copy protection you say it had.

I never said they had it on the floppy itself. Code Wheels and other copy protection came with the box - unless you pirated your games. Since you don't even seem to be aware of the existance of that copy protection...

May 13, 2009 2:28:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

5.25" floppy disks - oooh! how we used to dream of 5.25" floppy disks when I were a lad.

Copy protection! That meant typing your code in by hand from an original copy of the magazine and not the hand written copy done by your mate from school.

You youngsters don't know your born.

May 13, 2009 2:33:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

In fact, IN FACT, to start with we had to write out our code on specially marked sheets of paper and our school had to send them by post to a university in another city, then we had to wait a couple of weeks to get the results back.

It was other pupils in the art department who pulped the newspapers and made the paper.

May 13, 2009 5:29:59 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This is just a case of the pot calling the kettle black,

Anyways, its between Brad and RYG.

May 17, 2009 1:39:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Some people will never comprehend what DRM means.

Well, can't fix stupid.

I loled.

June 6, 2009 5:18:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[quote who="Vordrak" reply="24" id="2176218"]

The best method I have seen is simple. Basically you have to do a one-time activation on install. The software is hardware locked. There is an initial limit of installation on no more than 5 separate pieces of hardware. Most people never reach that.

Thats where i start i having issues. I tend replace old parts of my computer when something happens (PSU blew up; a ram stick had a heart attack, ect), but ontop of I tend to build a new computer roughly every 2 years. Right now i ahve 2 computers and a laptop. I still sue both desktops for playing games and watching movies. As long as i can install and play the game with no limits on instyalls and with out it needing to check online if the game is good to go or not; Im happy. Shit happens and some games such as Homeworld 2 no longer is supported online along with a few other games i play (nexus comes to mind).

June 6, 2009 8:09:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting habicabi,
Reduced 73%Original 750 x 600

Haha! Facepalm indeed! Earlier...

August 29, 2009 6:34:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting habicabi,

Reduced 73%

Original 750 x 600
[quote who="Siphaed" reply="25" id="2176224"]

lol

epic win for dg, epic fail for whoever said that

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000922   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.