The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: So much for piracy

By on April 29, 2009 12:15:08 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1469

If I wrote a post saying that Demigod sales were far below what we had hoped for and I said that the reason was due to piracy and that the answer was that we should have put some nasty copy protection on those DVDs to have prevented early piracy what do you think people would say?

I know what my answer to that would be.  I would say that Stardock couldn’t blame poor sales on piracy but rather the fact that the game’s built-in multiplayer match-making was totally broken for the first day of release due to its underestimation of network resources that a mainstream game would take and even when that got addressed, the multiplayer match-making for two weeks and counting has been incredibly flakey which affected reviews and word of mouth.  That’s what I would say.

And yet…

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23381\

Demigod debuts at #3 for top selling PC games at retail – bearing in mind that that was a partial week and that the majority of units sold were digital sales which weren’t counted.

But…but…what about those hundreds of thousands of pirates? Yep. Demigod is heavily pirated. And make no mistake, piracy pisses me off.  If you’re playing a pirated copy right now, if you’re one of those people on Hamachi or GameRanger playing a pirated copy and have been for more than a few days, then you should either buy it or accept that you’re a thief and quit rationalizing it any other way.

The reality that most PC game publishers ignore is that there are people who buy games and people who don’t buy games. The focus of a business is to increase its sales.  My job, as CEO of Stardock, is not to fight worldwide piracy no matter how much it aggravates me personally. My job is to maximize the sales of my product and service and I do that by focusing on the people who pay my salary – our customers.

As Ars Technica quoted over a year ago:

"The reason why we don't put copy protection on our games isn't because we're nice guys. We do it because the people who actually buy games don't like to mess with it. Our customers make the rules, not the pirates. Pirates don't count," Wardell argues. "When Sins popped up as the #1 best selling game at retail a couple weeks ago, a game that has no copy protect whatsoever, that should tell you that piracy is not the primary issue."

Even Demigod, a game that shipped with no copy protection on the DVD, was massively pirated, and has had, to put it mildly severe launch issues with its multiplayer match-making which has had a negative impact on its Metacritic score has still managed to debut at the top of retail sales charts  (not counting our digital sales).

Why is that?  At that point I can only speculate but the first reason is pretty straight forward: Demigod is an awesome game. Second, while the multiplayer matchmaking that comes with the game currently sucks, our customers know it will get fixed. Part of that is the demographic of Stardock customers. They’re more experienced, they know that some of the issues with the MP matchmaking aren’t due to rushing the game out or negligence but rather the fact that complicated systems sometimes don’t scale well and there is no substitute for time when it comes to fix them.

I think there are many lessons to be learned from Demigod.  For example, if I had to do it over again, I would be inclined to require a valid user account to play LAN even if it only has to be validated one time. That way, we could also make it a lot easier for a legal user to have a LAN party with a single license. Anyone who has played Demigod on Game Ranger probably knows what and why I'm bringing that up.

When the focus of energy is put on customers rather than fighting pirates, you end up with more sales.  It seems common sense to me but then again, I’m just an engineer.

Locked Post 238 Replies +6
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 29, 2009 3:22:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just wanted to throw in a few pennies of my own, but I wholly agree and applaud Stardock's position on piracy.  I love that I don't need to deal with crappy DRM that sometimes makes it difficult to even install certain games, and I like not needing to dig up the CD every time I want to play or having to rely on user-created no CD patches to circumvent it.  If you guys do choose add in more measures to fight piracy later on down the road, all I ask is that it's invisible to me, and it sounds like just a serial check or whatever for LAN matches wouldn't distract me in the least.

Also wanted to add how awesome it was when, one evening during a deployment in Iraq, I figured out that I could play Sins of a Solar Empire on my laptop even though I didn't bring the disc with me.

April 29, 2009 3:29:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Still i believe that piracy does effect sales in some manner, which made me have a fear Stardock will go DRM at some point due to this amount of pirates

Goo = DRM

It ties system specific information to the game executable. If that info doesn't checkout when you launch the game, it errors out. Granted it's not as bad as Starforce, but it's still DRM.

Yesterday i were trying to help a french guy on IRC, tho he were talking about hamachi so i thought, hmm pirate? since why didnt he just use the online option. But after a small talk he openly admitted he did not buy the game.

This is not the first time ive seen pirates on IRC, they seem to gather there to find friends for there hamachi setup and have no worries what so ever.

It's unfortunate the way things have gone, but I personally like Himachi. With it you're able to play LAN matches for older games that no longer have supported online play through the original devs/publishers.

April 29, 2009 3:50:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

DRM is not the way to go to avoid pirating. Pirates will ALWAYS find a way around it, which in the end all it does is piss off customers. I'm glad Stardock is taking a no DRM stance.

April 29, 2009 4:27:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think a lot of what boosts stardock's sales is their price point and reputation.  It can be argued that Demigod is infact an excellent game and that fact alone makes it sell strong, but I think you and I both know that isn't a proper correlation.  Without a demo and not many people having played the beta, you have to realize that a lot of people are buying the game baised on what they know about stardock alone.

What's with all the bigger more commercialized companies (ie. EA) that make tremendous amounts of money but still charge $50-$60 for a game.  I don't have any involvment or insight as to what it costs to develop a game (my guess is in the hundreds of thousands to million) and I don't know what actual cost is ivolved with the physical product itself (packaging, maunals, cd printing).  It seems like to me, that smaller companies would have to charge more for a game due to high costs in development and not having the massive resources that other companies do.

Its the $60 dollar price point that is becoming more and more prevalent in the PC industry, a price once only reserved for the console industry, a reflection of the game maker trying to anticipate losses due to piracy?  If that's the case why are console games so expensive?  Granted console games are just as easily pirated but there are far fewer gamers with the equipment to do so nor willing the take the risk of bricking their console.  My hope is that the price point is legitimately a recoup on costs plus a little profit. 

I will say, I will never buy a PC game for $50 unless it's by a company I feel worthy of my money (Blizzard, Stardock, various indie companies) and I dare say none of those companies would have the audacity to charge $50 for a game.  Most blizzard new releases are $30 or $40 and indie game developers never charge more than $30.  Seems like a more wal-mart-ized company like EA could release games cheaper.  At $50 I'm more likley to pirate a game because thats $50 I'll never get back, get any trade in on. I'd also say that about 98% of the time I end up deleting the game after a couple hours.  Not because I feel so self-important to take a moral stance because I honestly don't care.  It's usually because its another shovelware title put out by the video game puppy mills that some of theses companies have created.

I do hope game companies realize that you cannot return opened sofware to stores.  That leads me to a second point.  If I buy a product at a store and don't like it or am unsatisfied with it, I'll bring it back.  Before I commit to buying a game, I either have to research and check reviews heavily and even then usually wait a few weeks for it come down in price.  The only situation I'll blindly buy a game is if it's by a company like blizzard or stardock where I know, A) its a quality game just because of the company logo B ) It'll be heavily supported and updated/revised over several months/years and not just patched one time and shevled like companies (*cough* EA) so often do.  When I commit to buying a game, especially in the case of a multiplayer game I expect to get a little use out of it.  I've played SC, D2, WC3 for years because they got updated, stuff was added, balance was changed, it kept the game intresting and you know what?  All those games can still be found on the store shelves and still sell regularly.  What other game can you think of that has been on the shelf since 1997 and still sells regularly.

Using EA/Maxis for example because of the "Sims" series being a game that shows massive sales numbers, it's intresting to see where EA releases a new expansion every few months for the game at $30-40 instead of patching things in.  Companies like blizzard patch regularly to add content and add an expansion pack maybe one time a year or two after release that is actually $30 worth of content.  So I guess the logic is: Add content in the form of patches to keep the same old game selling over and over again for years (ie. Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo) or churn out and flood games and "must-have" expansions every six months.  It's debatable which is more profitable but there is no question which solution is a credit to the customer.  I will say games like The Sims and Spore sell well based only on the hype they build pre-release.  It's a typical maxis tactic to announce development of a game years before it's released and do all these "CRAZY WE ARE REVOLUTIONIZING THE WAY GAMES ARE PLAYED" taglines only to release a game that is nothing like what people expected and falling far and away short of the bar the game itself set (*cough* SPORE).

Demigod released at $40 US.  Frankly I would consider it more appropriate at the $30 price point but that's just me.  Blizzard shows heavy sales numbers for all their games and if I recall correctly, fall in the middle line of the price spectrum (not taking into account blizzards reputation that could also attribute to their numbers)  Stardock has developed quite a reputation and robust sales numbers over the years and again I think a loyal customer base has a lot to do with it.

April 29, 2009 4:27:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Multianna,

Still i believe that piracy does effect sales in some manner, which made me have a fear Stardock will go DRM at some point due to this amount of pirates

I think piracy is a two-way street. Naturally, you have some people who might have bought the game instead of copying it - had it been protected by some sort of anti-piracy software. But make no mistake, a no-cd crack is usually released within days. To me - who've pirated many games over the years - a game is only worth buying if I really like the game. I'm not going to buy a game or product I find mediocre. Other things, like if the game is released without DRM or if it's distributed over the net, factor into the decision making. To illustrate my point - the games I've bought within the last year:

• Sins of a Solar Empire + micro expansion (bought it after downloading)
  • Crysis (shipped with gfx card)
  • Battlefield 2142 (retail. never pirated)
  • Supreme Commander (retail, bought it the day after I downloaded it off p2p)
  • Hinterland (never pirated)
  • GalCiv2 Ultimate (pirated the original release)
  • Demigod (downloaded, but noticed it was a stardock effort and bought it right away)
I generally don't consider myself a hardcore gamer (my schedule is typically filled to the brim), so I don't read any game review sites or magazines. If I hear about a new game it is either word-by-mouth, internet/tv adverts, or - as is usually the case - the p2p scene. SoaSE I would certainly have missed had it not been for the p2p scene.
Let me just emphasize, I'm certainly not saying that piracy has an overall positive effect on the gaming industry - that's a completely different story with many venues. My point is, I think most people want to support the stuff they like; we all know that by supporting a gaming company by purchasing their product(s), we make a small contributory effort towards continued support and new releases. Regardless of your views on piracy.
Lastly, Stardock, Thank You for being a great company with a great policy! 
April 29, 2009 4:36:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What's with all the bigger more commercialized companies (ie. EA) that make tremendous amounts of money but still charge $50-$60 for a game.

For a couple years now i stay clear of EA and all their games. most of them now are just a useless incomplete bugged overpriced bag of poo.

I have to admit i had no clue whatsoever about stardock - i bought the game because:

1. played the only available "demo" version
  2. the price is right for a game that's this much fun

April 29, 2009 5:13:30 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I agree, I purchased Demigod online, and I dont support Piracy except when they are stealing from EA.

April 29, 2009 5:43:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Goo = DRM

But Stardock has stated numerous time that the retail version of their products don't use GOO.

April 29, 2009 5:49:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When I first saw this game I thought it looked too slow, and actually I still think the game works best at +1 speed.  Then I saw many mixed reviews and decided that I'd skip this game.  Then the day of launch 2 of my friends were trying to convince me to try it, they both pirated the game, so I decided to pirate the game also.

After a couple days playing, we were really enjoying it, and decided to buy it as soon as the the network issues were improved.  So me and my friend ended up buying the game, and if not for trying it out on a pirated copy, we wouldn't have bought the game.

The truth is if you make a quality game, people will buy it.  While this game has it's problems (I wont go into all those here) the future looks promising.

April 29, 2009 8:22:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting MrHertz,
When I first saw this game I thought it looked too slow, and actually I still think the game works best at +1 speed.  Then I saw many mixed reviews and decided that I'd skip this game.  Then the day of launch 2 of my friends were trying to convince me to try it, they both pirated the game, so I decided to pirate the game also.

After a couple days playing, we were really enjoying it, and decided to buy it as soon as the the network issues were improved.  So me and my friend ended up buying the game, and if not for trying it out on a pirated copy, we wouldn't have bought the game.

The truth is if you make a quality game, people will buy it.  While this game has it's problems (I wont go into all those here) the future looks promising.

A little rich hearing a pirate talk about buying the game after network issues are improved, as in network issues that were partially caused by pirating. I say partially because there was obviously a design flaw at works, but still.

April 29, 2009 8:26:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting bansama,
Why do pirates always assume that they simply MUST play every game even if they can't afford to buy it or are not willing to buy it? That's what I hate about *those* people. And please, don't try to use your geographical location as a way of justifying piracy either. Don't try the, "it's not sold where I live, so I had no choice" argument; *I* live in a country where PC games are not sold domestically, yet I manage perfectly well to purchase games. Thank you very much.

I don't think the question is 'why?' but rather 'why not?'. Ethics are something that hold slim value in today's societies, and when something such as entertainment is so incredibly accessible (AKA click torrent button), it is almost easier to ask why didn't you pirate it?

I'll admit, I found out about this game on a pirate site so I pirated this game... initially. I played the singleplayer for 4 hours consecuatively which is quite rare for me. I read up on some of the reviews, and despite the complaints about multiplayer issues, I bought the game. I also convinced a friend of mine to buy the game as well. Since then we have both played signifigant games online and I already feel as if I have received good value for my money.

Bottom line is that people need incentive to purchase entertainment these days. I know it is sad but that is just the reality. And despite my shady ethics I do feel more guilty for pirating a game like World of Goo or Demigod than say an EA title, and that probably doesn't make much sense logically. But when you have a company like Stardock that has the balls to actually respect their customers and not insult them with vague marketing/PR rhetoric, they have done wonders to bridge that gap and in turn have bought my respect as a paying customer.

April 29, 2009 8:36:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For example, if I had to do it over again, I would be inclined to require a valid user account to play LAN even if it only has to be validated one time

This sort of thing gets cracked anyway, and it'probably would have been a waste of your resources - and probably would have caused more problems considering you haven't yet sorted multiplayer out.

I can understand why people pirate games, the fact is there are so many shitty games out there that don't deliver on their promises, some of them blantaly lie about features - and most of them offer no way to get a refund.  These days many games don't offer a demo until long after launch as well.

Anyway we have deducted that the multiplayer issues are NOT the fault of pirates (what would people be saying if you had 120,000 legit customers and the multiplayer broke), whe have deducted that your sales are pretty good even with pirates.  Personally I think the discussion of pirates has been done to death ot these forums.

What I would like to see now is:

- Multiplayer fixed

- Posts acknowledging the bugs and concerns people have, that stardock simply seem to be ignoring

Demigod could turn out to be a good game, but you guys still have a lot of effort to put in to make that happen, multiplayer is still *extremely* painful, and if it was my game I wouldn't be taking a single day off until that was sorted.

April 29, 2009 8:39:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Nesrie,

A little rich hearing a pirate talk about buying the game after network issues are improved, as in network issues that were partially caused by pirating. I say partially because there was obviously a design flaw at works, but still.

This comment is absurd, the multiplayer issues have nothing to do with pirates - the system is just plain bog.  What would you be saying if no one pirated the game? Because I garauntee you the multiplayer issues would still be there... what would you say if there were more legit players and the multiplayer issues were the same?

Frankly i think they are lucky there are so many pirates, it's giving them qutie a handy excuse

At the end of the day the issues come down to poor implementation, so the sooner that is fixed, the better.

April 29, 2009 8:46:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Nesrie,

Quoting MrHertz, reply 9When I first saw this game I thought it looked too slow, and actually I still think the game works best at +1 speed.  Then I saw many mixed reviews and decided that I'd skip this game.  Then the day of launch 2 of my friends were trying to convince me to try it, they both pirated the game, so I decided to pirate the game also.

Well for the record i never once tried to connect to the normal servers so I wasn't adding to the network problem.

April 29, 2009 8:51:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't know anyone that pirated that tried to play online either....people that know what they are doing normally block that sort of thing.

April 29, 2009 9:49:01 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I had someone I know ask me to torrent Demigod. Now, normally, I'd hem and haw, and wind up waiting for him to forget (doesn't take long), but I flat out told him no this time. I dunno what effect it had, but I think he won't pirate it. Though I probably have too much faith in him.

April 29, 2009 11:03:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Congratulations on your excellent week #1 performance, and no doubt it will stay strong as word of mouth circulates how fun the core gameplay is.  Obviously those who bought it weren't scared off by the well-circulated multiplayer concerns, so there might be a few single player fans in there--hint hint campaign hint hint boss fights.  I'll just say, Demigod is the game that pushed me over the edge and got me to replace my 2 1/2 year rig with a new hand picked liquid cooled setup (waiting for parts to arrive in the mail), so Stardock and their anti-DRG policy has helped the whole PC industry.

April 29, 2009 11:16:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It also doesnt help it wasnt released everywhere at the same time. It doesnt come out here until end of may (in retail stores). Which is a real pain in the ass. and is just inviting pirates. But all in all Congrats on retail sales . In terms of more people buying it, when some issues have been ironed out and extra content added, youll prolly see a "second wave" of buyers sort of thing

April 29, 2009 11:34:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh, by the way, the retail game's not out in Singapore yet. However, those who do have it have gotten it from Impulse. The multiplayer is still flakey.

If the proxies are up and we can play with online with blokes around the world, the game would get much much more exposure and result in many more sales. As of today, only a handful in Singapore can play online and they are the blokes who have Cable.

For me, I'm a DSL user and I can't play a single game yet.

April 29, 2009 11:56:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think more and more pirates will buy Demigod as time goes on.  There's a couple factors there I would expect to be relevant:

1.  New content, like new maps and new Demigods will make the pirated version seem lame.  Same with some needed balance changes.

2.  Shrinking playerbase on Gameranger leaving pirates with the connection problems!

3.  Be sure to require some validation to play LAN in new versions of Demigod so that they can't all just pirate a new version and start using it (I don't know exactly how that would work though).

April 30, 2009 2:12:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zoobi07,
DRM is not the way to go to avoid pirating. Pirates will ALWAYS find a way around it, which in the end all it does is piss off customers. I'm glad Stardock is taking a no DRM stance.

News flash, CD Keys are DRM and the oldest form of DRM used in PC games. ANYTHING that restricts access to content so only authorized users can access it is DRM and that is EXACTLY what software CD keys do. Demigod uses these software keys therefor it has DRM.

Knowing is half the battle.

April 30, 2009 2:52:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Shock0311,

Quoting Zoobi07,
reply 3

News flash, CD Keys are DRM and the oldest form of DRM used in PC games. ANYTHING that restricts access to content so only authorized users can access it is DRM and that is EXACTLY what software CD keys do. Demigod uses these software keys therefor it has DRM.

Knowing is half the battle.
You're glossing over the fact that 95% of gamers don't consider CD keys to fall under the vernacular definition of DRM, even if you can make an argument that it falls under the technical definition.  So yeah, good luck manufacturing that outrage.

April 30, 2009 2:54:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well for the record i never once tried to connect to the normal servers so I wasn't adding to the network problem

Sadly, the retail version was programmed to check for available updates as launch, before you can choose which kind of game you want to play.

April 30, 2009 3:27:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm going to have to disagree with the idea of having it validate for a LAN. Here's why: Stardock might die.

Look back many years, imagine if say Master of Orion 2 had activation required. (Granted, it's mostly a single player game, but occasionally played on a lan) The game is great, it stands the test of time, like another of Microprose's titles (bonus points for catching the reference, if you can). Unfortunately, Microprose does not.

Fast forward a bit, a company called Cavedog creates a great game called Total Annihilation (and another fun one called TAK) which among my friends is played until Supcom comes out and ruins us with strategic zoom. Unfortunately, Cavedog dies.

What would have happened when we had to reinstall, or moved to a new computer in the years later?

Now, those are just two cautionary tales. Granted, I've screwed myself if that happens by buying a digital copy, but several friends, who I've known for about as long as I've played those games, did buy the retail copies, so I can grab a copy from them. (And I'm willing to bet on knowing them more than I am on any game compay.) And even CDs die. In a successor to one of the games above, my Civ2 CD simply stopped being readable.

April 30, 2009 4:05:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Pirating in my world is free commercial. Sadly not everyone share my opinion and they refuse to buy stuff so the people who made a thing they enjoy can keep doing things for them to enjoy.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000031   Page Render Time: