The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Battle Maps

By on April 27, 2009 11:01:17 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I just have to say it. Demigod features some of the greatest maps I have ever seen for an RTS. It's great to see such raw effort in producing some very aww-inspiring maps, and I am excited to see what has yet to come. Keep up the good work guys.  

0 Karma | 20 Replies
April 27, 2009 11:03:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah. Of course the downside of doing maps that are basically 3d models is that they take a lot longer to make than normal maps, so we get fewer of them.

April 27, 2009 11:11:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Even if we get fewer of them, the way i see it, there will always be another playable map in due time.

April 27, 2009 11:23:36 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Imo, that's the greatest thing about Demigod: the design.  The maps are very well done, and awe-inspiring describes them well.  But it's not just that.  The Demigods look great, the death screen is very moody, the music, the sounds, it's all put together very well.  There's a reason why most reviews say the game looks beautiful

Bara

April 27, 2009 11:24:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*hands Bara a hanky for drool wiping*

April 27, 2009 11:29:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The real downside is that it would be really hard for a modder to make a map, unlike all the other rts where you use elemental bricks to build a map (and so it is relatively easy to create a sdk for the modders) Demigod uses huge 3D models.

But i also love those awesome maps, i just hope that some other will come in a few monthes.

April 27, 2009 11:32:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's great to hear that you like the map.  Most of the comments I read have been negative about the maps.

The negative comments are:

1. Maps are plain or all very similar.  Yes they look awesome but gameplay wise is the same.

2. No trees or forrest to hide and gank

3. No 3d level, like climb a hill, lets demigods from high level get more damage and view advantage.

All this comes from dota I guess.   In my own opinion, the maps are just ok.  I only like to play the small maps because it takes too long to walk into battle for a big map.   So I play mostly on prison.

April 27, 2009 11:54:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Fred_Bonaparte,
The real downside is that it would be really hard for a modder to make a map, unlike all the other rts where you use elemental bricks to build a map (and so it is relatively easy to create a sdk for the modders) Demigod uses huge 3D models.

But i also love those awesome maps, i just hope that some other will come in a few monthes.

It would likely require a 3D modeler to create the map.  On the plus side, it would provide some very great-looking maps.  The negative would be that people would have to be very skilled to even make a map.

Who knows, maybe GPG has something amazing cooking that I don't knw about

Bara

April 27, 2009 12:22:44 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting GunslingerBara,
Imo, that's the greatest thing about Demigod: the design.  The maps are very well done, and awe-inspiring describes them well.  But it's not just that.  The Demigods look great, the death screen is very moody, the music, the sounds, it's all put together very well.  There's a reason why most reviews say the game looks beautiful

Bara

Yes those too are very true. This game has some amazing modeling, and I can't get enough of the SMITER, RAMPAGING, and GODLIKE expressions (so bold). What I am saying is that the maps really help tie the best of this game together. To me a great map really makes the game, as much as the concept and style. Besides we all know that without the map the models would just be, well, models.

April 27, 2009 1:22:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

they could make a map editor where the 3d editing part is downplayed... for example a mode where people could rearrange premade tiles would be nice. and people who wanted to go all out and make entirely new 3d maps would have that option.

April 27, 2009 1:59:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that.  Being able to re-position the flags, portals, and minion paths would make for some interesting variations.

Bara

April 27, 2009 2:39:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah, i was thinking of preset tile map segments that you would connect to make entirely new paths, as well as repositioning flags etc.

April 27, 2009 2:48:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You're thinking of Starcraft/Warcraft aren't you?  That won't work here, because each map is not based on tiles.  Each map is a unique 3D model.

Bara

April 28, 2009 3:40:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Actually, I think they were talking about making a tile based editor that then exported the final result as a single 3DS model.   That would work but, it also would be a lot of work.   It'd be pretty cool but, is not a super easy thing to do.

April 28, 2009 4:06:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You would be surprised how talented the community is, they could come up with great 3D models for maps.  Look at Wc3, there were tonnes of people modelling characters, and getting low poly characters that looks good takes alot of skill. (Obviously you can't really do a map editor like wc3)

What you guys need to do is make it easy for the people that can do the maps/3d modelling - make it easy for them to get these as maps into the game, and give some instructions.  It only takes a few members of the community to step up and start making some awesome maps, before you know it the game will have an extended lifespan!

Let's face it the modding community does alot of 3D modelling in all games for their mods, I'm sure some great maps would come out of it.  You should hold a design contest (even if it's just concept art)

April 28, 2009 4:17:35 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
Yeah. Of course the downside of doing maps that are basically 3d models is that they take a lot longer to make than normal maps, so we get fewer of them.

the real crux is: making sure the map alone does not hog up all the power of the system

April 28, 2009 4:34:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wonder how restrictive flatness is to these maps, it would be cool to have some trully 3D maps (where the battlefeild is not 2D) unlike the current maps. 

Either way there is plenty of room for some awesome new maps even without 3D battlefields

April 28, 2009 1:02:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting futurewavecs,
Actually, I think they were talking about making a tile based editor that then exported the final result as a single 3DS model.   That would work but, it also would be a lot of work.   It'd be pretty cool but, is not a super easy thing to do.

it might take work, but it would extend the lifetime of the game 100 times...

April 28, 2009 1:14:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hope GPG will release some sdk for create new maps. Just look at some work for NWN2 (with some models better than obsidian ones!), there always community members with good skill with 3D that are ready to make new art. And actualy demigod maps are I think easier to make than any fps map. If you stay with the same concept as existing maps, you just need an interesting pattern and make a 2D ground. The difficult come from background art.

Now I would really like to know if the game can support true 3D space map layout, with cliffs etc... or is stuck in a 2D ground approach.

April 28, 2009 1:35:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sheezwack,
I wonder how restrictive flatness is to these maps, it would be cool to have some trully 3D maps (where the battlefeild is not 2D) unlike the current maps. 

Either way there is plenty of room for some awesome new maps even without 3D battlefields

In Demigod you will only be able to get flat maps simply from how they programmed the system, which I would have to assume is due to many projectiles being simulated like real projectiles. If you have played Supreme Commander, you can see how raised ground and really block a lot of projectiles. Although I would love the option to play on non-flat maps though, even with the issues.

When it comes to creating custom map models and demigod models & animations, what we are looking for is a Granny 3D exporter. A real license for this technology is too costly for any modder, so we are just going to have to see if GPG is able to release one.

April 28, 2009 1:43:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Fred_Bonaparte,

you guys seem to not get it very well, the actual playing surface that you run around on, that is mapped out of tiles and such, when they say the map is a giant model they're talking about the background scenery and stuff, for example the 'aztec' style map where you're on top of a temple or something, the top is *mapped* but the rest is just a model to make it look good

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000485   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.