General tips for noobs/newbs.

By on April 26, 2009 6:49:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

tripled153

Join Date 04/2009
+1

#1. Invest some money on citadel upgrades. You dont have to spend all your money on citadel upgrades just spend some.

#2. Its a team game. Try to work as a team. i,e. communicate, call for help if you see an ally attacking another demi assist them. Dont run in the opposite dir.

#3. The goal of the game is not to smite the most demigods. Yes you get gold boosts but thats not the point of the game.

#4. If you dont know how to play the game. PLEASE dont join a game and ask your teammates how to play after it has started.

#5. (T) unlocks the camera

#6. If two demis are chasing you run. If your HP is low dont run into towers (I do this a lot) run.

Anyone else want to add to this list. Plz do so. Ive been very polite in my games when I am stuck with newer / less skilled players offering hints and tips but one can only be polite for so long. If someone gives you a tip please dont... ragequit, Use homophobic/racial remarks to that person. I personally am starting to think the DOTA community is invading this game.

Locked Post 33 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 26, 2009 6:53:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

the DotA community is invading the game which is gonna be bad for the game and for your list just play a lot and watch what other people do

April 26, 2009 7:25:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nice post. The way to think before post another OP topic

I would add: DON'T RAGEQUIT! You will never learn if you don't do a game from begining to end. And sometimes you get surprise and fightback! (even if you loose, be able to hold your citadelle some times give you some training). And it's so annoying and childish...

And yes this game is teamplay game an the goal isn't to have the most kills. Some demigods aren't here for kill but help other to do it. It's amazing how people think only 1vs1 and kill... This game isn't some deathmatch or teamdeathmatch fps...

Another tip: create even DG team! It's stupid to have 3 regulus in a 3vs3... Try to create nice combos or it's a lost for sure.

April 26, 2009 8:11:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

RULE NR 1: killing isnt important. NOT dying is.

-Flags. If your warscare gets behind your gonna lose most of the time.

-Dont always chase to kill. Satisfy with sending him to his crystal sometimes.

-Map awareness. Always have one eye on your minimap so you can support your teammates.

-Tp scrolls and capture locks.

-Mininons do hurt. Be aware of the minion wave dynamics so you dont tank them when you dont need to.

-If low hp dont always go home. If you got some small regen and can stay and gain exp thats sometimes better.

- Warscore>Exp>Gold in that order. Everyone gets about the same gold except for DG kills, when you kill a DG he loses exp and you gain gold.

oh well thats some..

*EDIT*

Do not upgrade your spawns so you get MORE creeps until you have to. They give the enemy more gold and exp. Basicly three situations you do this.

1. For defense, you have to because they will push in to your citadel or whatever(depending on gamemode)

2. For offence, you´re winning and can push their citadel or whatever(depending on gamemode)

3. You can upgrade to at least Catapults or giants.

April 26, 2009 11:16:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll add a couple tips for new players as well:

-Stay near (mostly behind) your creep wave and rack up the XP by staying near enemy creeps that die. Don't go wandering off far from the creep wave, that'll just lower your total XP and as a new player you don't want to fall behind in demigod levels.

-For the first couple of games, play defensively. Stay behind your creep wave and preferably near range of your towers. Even yield the flag in the lane to the enemy at times, just try to protect your demigod and try not to die the entire match. Let the enemy attack you when your in your tower's range as opposed to you attacking the enemy by their towers.

-Avoid fighting to the death early on. If you overextend and get killed 5 times early on in the game, you'll fall back in levels, the enemy won't respect your demigods power-rating, and your teammates won't be happy with having to make up all those kills (gold) that the enemy now has, and the enemy will likely dominate that flag lane too.

-If your not in range of your towers and the enemy starts to openly come attacking you and your alone, and your not sure what abilities the enemy has and/or the enemy has a level advantage, retreat back a little behind your creeps or in range of your towers and see if the enemy still tries to attack you. (If they don't attack you when your in range of your towers they likely don't think they can outright kill you right then and there). Feel free to return a hit on the enemy demigod on the next creep wave if your still at near max health.

-A lot of demigods can effectively hit & run, using a damage ability, then retreating back a bit, and wearing the enemy down over time. Generally demigods initiate attacks when its to their advantage, and very rarely does someone attack when they're at a disadvantage, so keep that in mind. You generally want to fight on your terms and not on the enemy's.

-If you end up gaining 1-2 levels more than the enemy demigod, by all means start to turn it around and attack. But go for more of a hit & run approach if you can. Only chase enemy demigods into range of their towers if your next ability-use would kill them (and if you run faster than the enemy demigod).

-Buy some mana gear (+11mana/sec helm for 1750), (+4mana/sec helm for 500ish). Usually you need to regenerate mana instead of health and need to return to the fountain (depends on the demigod/map). But having the mana generation really helps you stay out on the field longer thus gaining more XP.

-If you do get killed in a game early on and suffer your first death... do not try to go for an instant-revenge fight. It'll likely result in a 2nd death for you. Just keep your cool and try to better protect yourself next time around.

-Once you feel more comfortable and know the limits of your demigod and the enemies, by all means take a more aggresive approach. But overall going 0kills - 0 deaths, or even 0 kills - 2 deaths throughout a match is much better than going 2 kills - 10 deaths and your team has a much higher chance to pull off a win if you keep your death count low.

April 26, 2009 11:34:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Really nice starter tips there sabbath.

April 26, 2009 11:35:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1.)  Don't rage quit.  Learn to play.  Change the game around.  It happens.  Usually by saving up and going to the artifact shop. 

2.)  Mana gear rocks!  I don't care who you play, you need mana to lvl quickly. 

3.)  Buying the cheap HP pot in the beginning can save you from dying and giving the other team $$$.  Plus, if they follow you and you heal in range of your towers, they usually die and it's fun to laugh.

April 26, 2009 11:57:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What I've found most important:

DON'T FORGET TO KILL CREEPS

It's amazing how much time people waste futily trying to kill enemy demigods. If you focus on creeps, you can gain 2-3 levels on the enemy easily.

April 27, 2009 12:05:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So do you need to actually get a hit on a creep to get XP or just be in range of its death?

April 27, 2009 1:12:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You need to be in range, there seems to be a slight bonus if u hit em. Don´t know the details.

April 27, 2009 1:40:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums
  1. On some maps you can prevent fortress's from spawning by destroying the nearby towers. (the maps where you can't do this I feel need to be 'fixed' ^^)
April 27, 2009 2:26:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Learn to run the hell away.

April 27, 2009 2:33:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do more then just spit as UB. It's not as effective as you think.

April 27, 2009 8:52:49 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

my tips

1) FRAGIE DEMIGODS NEED +SPEED, do you want to die after you firenova and gain a level just coz u cant run away from the oak???
2) Dont be a idiot, dont try kill 3 demigods at once next to there tower, DONT EVEN TRY TO KILL ONE DEMIGOD NEAR THERE TOWERS, dont go after a dg with a instant cast while on low health run away
3) dont buy items u dont need, dont be like "ooo shiny parasite egg, im not vsing generals but still".
4) buy items you do need, you run out of mana after casting one spell buy some headgear, just got ganked coz u cant outrun another demigod, buy boots of speed, etc
5) buy potions, 70% of the time i will chose potions over items, its like another life at low levels.
6)if ur near creeps dieing, kill them, if your near a flag thats gunna get capped, cap it, if ur near a demigod thats gunna get killed get that +600g for the assist of 100 damage.
7) get priests and dont waste ur money and stupid cit upgrades..
8) if your loosing, dont quit, just try to learn, last time i lost was against a oak and it was because i didnt stock up on boots or swift anklet when the game began, so now i start almost every game with swift anklet unless i have sedna on my team or im playing a strong dg like the rook
9) when sieging a tower, wait for u creeps when they get attacked by the tower, attack the tower, that way u dont loose 200hp every few seconds.
10) smite demigods, forget about the overall goal,(GET FLAGS THOUGH) u kill more demigods u win because more gold = more items = more xp= better demigods.
11) team up to take down demigods, 90% of the time u wont be able to kill a demigod by yourself there going to run, make sure u have someone around to finish him off/take him down with u, simple as saying "ey man help me kill the oak",
12)DONT DIE, just dont die, dieing is bad

April 27, 2009 4:41:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Some very useful stuff here. A lot I have eventually figured out on my own by getting a lot of losses under my belt. Still some things I didn't realise, so please keep the tips comming

April 27, 2009 7:17:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Don't try to follow sedna into their citadel (remeber.. she will not die.. most likely she is luring you in for the kill and will just heal herself) and don't follow Regulus if he is going Mine build (Unless you see him lay down the mines and can avoid them).

April 27, 2009 7:54:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1 play a game or 2 againist ai in single player to get the feel for the characters

2 try to avoid  chasing the enermy if ur mostly melee then  get ur creep to tank the tower for a few secs and hit him a few then retreat and wait for more creeps

3 keep a eye on ur allies they may need help/ they may be coming to help u

4 focus at all times dont think this is easy ill just do this  it usually ends up in death off ur dude and them getting money and u looking like a moron

5 dont think ur better then the other people playing  because u will get to cocky and get owned

6 if u anit sure about what to do folo one of ur teammates and help them 

7 read the items in the store in battle  read them all see witch u like  and remember the price and  what they do also read the artifact store

8 buy upgrades  like dmg upgrades  or speed or armor  or citidel ones but buy some at start and keep buy as game progresses

9 dont quit a battle even if it is lagging if it is lagging then the people who usually play will be playing more slugish so for u it will give u a extra mila sec or 2 to think

10 dont chase enermy demigods  best case scenario u kill them and die ur self  witch means u get a delay return to the battle field less gold less exp less warscore (AVOID DIEING DIEING BAD)

11 at the begining of the battle look at your skill tree read the skills see witch one u like then ask ur team mates if it is a good one to start with because picing the wrong skill at start/no skill tends to end badly

12 if u find the match to hard dont quit tough it out  and it will start to get better and think  how u can help ur team

13 i dont like the number 13 so im skiping a thing here

14 look at ur team mates and think which dude would work well with them

15 like the demigod u go with otherwise ur going to be bored shitless and hate him and quit

16 read the origins on the demigods there  very cool and tell u about him

16 read the strengths and weaknesses of the demigod and the play style this may help u choose one but the play style is just one of a usualy 3 per demigod

17 have fun and enjoy playing

18 dont be a asshole and think your the best in your team it anit true there is no i in team (yes i know there is a me in team but all people who think me are assholes)

19 if u win with one  dude and u think he is good ask him for his contacted details like email  skype name shit like that so u can play together again

20  hmm im runing out of think i think might help  noobs hmm  ahh PLAY NICE WITH OTHER PEOPLE OR THEY WONT WANT U IN THERE GAME AGAIN

man 20  i didn't think i had that many in me  enjoy u noobs

April 28, 2009 12:02:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If i have to read 'dieing' one more time I'm going to start beating 'demigods' to death with a dictionary.

You want a general tip. If you can't spell dying then you need to stop playing video games and go back to school.

April 28, 2009 12:33:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You got to know when to hold'em,
know when to fold em,
Know when to walk away,
and know when to run.
You never count your money when youre sittin at the citadel.
Therell be time enough for countin when the zerging's done.

April 28, 2009 7:39:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

do not waste mana on killing creeps early game. early on most creeps die with one or two standard attacks. keep the mana till you can blast a truly juicy target.

later on however when the creep hordes increase in size: blast away. Loads of xp to be had.

April 28, 2009 5:30:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

any character with aoe tends to easily lvl up

April 30, 2009 4:00:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

A good tip is to spend your time dead wondering what did I do wrong instead of raging over "omg so lucky guy". Luck isnt a factor, luck means that something made you lose that you didnt understand.

Also look at what your opponents are doing, if you win dont do what they did. If you lose, imitate or learn from what they did.

April 30, 2009 7:33:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frenzyone,
A good tip is to spend your time dead wondering what did I do wrong instead of raging over "omg so lucky guy". Luck isnt a factor, luck means that something made you lose that you didnt understand.

Also look at what your opponents are doing, if you win dont do what they did. If you lose, imitate or learn from what they did.

luck is a factor in everything sumtimes they survive  because off the ammount of dmg u are doing is like 1 point to low

ihave escaped death  with 17hp  left  if u dont calll that luck then ur a iddiot

April 30, 2009 12:06:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Moapy,
If i have to read 'dieing' one more time I'm going to start beating 'demigods' to death with a dictionary.

You want a general tip. If you can't spell dying then you need to stop playing video games and go back to school.

I'm also surprised with how many people don't know the difference between THERE and THEIR.

Folks, it's a forum, not in-game chat.  Take the 2 extra seconds for commas, periods and spelling.  I feel like I'm talking to the cast of Hee Haw.

April 30, 2009 12:23:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Hobbes2099,

Quoting Moapy, reply 17If i have to read 'dieing' one more time I'm going to start beating 'demigods' to death with a dictionary.

I'm also surprised with how many people don't know the difference between THERE and THEIR.

Folks, it's a forum, not in-game chat.  Take the 2 extra seconds for commas, periods and spelling.  I feel like I'm talking to the cast of Hee Haw.

i always sucked at puncuation  so  nah

the difference between forum and chat is that forums are  saved chats arn't

May 3, 2009 9:53:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yo

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002141   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.