The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

HOW TO - use /nosound switch to increase performance

Step by step guide on using the /nosound switch to increase Demigod performance.

By on April 21, 2009 11:04:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi all, I had a quick look over these forums and saw a lot of posts telling people to use the "/nosound" switch but no actual post explaining how to do it. So, that being said I thought I'd do up a quick guide to help people get this up and running. If there is a post already and I missed it, I'd be more than happy to have this deleted.

My experience using the /nosound switch has been really positive - I've seen an increase of 2-3 in simspeed and really noticeable FPS increases (while running iTunes in the background because playing with no music or sound is boring!)

Anyway - the steps

1.) Browse to your Demigod\bin folder .. if memory serves me correctly this is defaulted to "C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin"

2.) There should be a "demigod.exe" file located in the Demigod\bin folder. Right click this file and select "Send to desktop (create shortcut)

3.) Locate the shortcut you just created on your desktop, should be named something like "Shortcut to Demigod.exe". Right click this shortcut and at the end of the target box type '/nosound'.

4.) The target text box should read similar to this (quotes included)  "C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\demigod.exe" /nosound

5.) Run the game using this shortcut. If all worked correctly, the game should run with no sound and you should experience a performance increase.

Let me know if you find any errors within this post.

+1 Karma | 18 Replies
April 22, 2009 1:31:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Excellent post thank you

If you do find you get a significant performance increase please post to https://forums.demigodthegame.com/348232. Only if enough people show they have the issue will we have any hope the issue will get resolved. /nosound is a workaround but the option of playing with nosound is not great

Tals

April 22, 2009 3:50:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, it's funny how running with no sound can make such a big difference

April 22, 2009 7:58:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

bump

April 22, 2009 8:03:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Bu...bu...bu... i like the sound

April 23, 2009 1:34:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ralsar,
Bu...bu...bu... i like the sound

I would suggest posting to the other thread - link on my post above. This is the instruction thread the other thread is the complaint and the confirmation that it is a workaround. If enough people post to it then it will make the devs more interested. If it's just 6 of us (which I think is about the number people indicating they are having the problem) then we're never see a fix.

Tals

April 23, 2009 2:09:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Nighteyes,
Yeah, it's funny how running with no sound can make such a big difference

Are you runnning DG on single core cpu?

April 23, 2009 3:23:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@dWind

Discussion about this issue is here: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/348232

And some that have this issue are running single core, some are running dual core. It's got nothing to do with hardware, it seems.

April 23, 2009 6:38:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wow....this no sound thingg.....actually works.

before...i was lucky if i could muster out 5fps...but now...im playin at around 27-30fps, YAY

i had my doubts......but now i can actually play online, WOOT!!!

April 23, 2009 8:57:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

my computer isnt letting me edit the target file any suggests?

April 23, 2009 9:32:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"my computer isnt letting me edit the target file any suggests?"

Same problem, says the name specified is not valid, I'm running Vista, does that make a difference?

Edit: Solved it, there was a space I missed.

"C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\Demigod.exe" /nosound

Thats it right there after " and before /nosound

April 24, 2009 12:15:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Skeziks,
my computer isnt letting me edit the target file any suggests?

Hi Skeziks,

What error in particular are you getting?

May 13, 2009 4:22:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

make sure to p[ut space after " or it will not work

July 7, 2009 10:44:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What if there is no demigod.exe folder?

July 7, 2009 11:12:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mine went from 5-6 start (-1 to -2 endgame) to 8-9 start (with 1 to 2 endgame) with /nosound!  But playing with "no sound" is pretty awful

July 8, 2009 2:47:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There is no "folder" DD, it's a file, executable.  It has to be there somewhere, that's what starts the game.   If there is a shortcut on your desktop for DemiGod, you can just right click on it, left click on properties, and add /nosound  to the end of the "Demigod.exe" line (make sure there is a space between exe and the /).

July 8, 2009 5:06:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You can also use the switch /nomovie and see if that increases performance.

See also my reply here on how I fixed the sound problems: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/348232/page/6

(Apologies for the shameful plug.)

July 15, 2009 2:17:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There seems to be at least 3 threads about this issue.  Has anyone seen a reply from a Dev that says they know about this bug/problem, or that a fix may be on the way.  I don't read all the threads. . .

May 4, 2011 5:42:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i have a problem , how can u edit the name of the file , special character like / cant be write , on my pc dont make me allow to do it

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000703   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.