The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Performance improved by /nosound

By on April 21, 2009 4:04:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Talsworthy

Join Date 02/2006
+1

I've been having issues with Demigod performance. I had assumed it was my processor as its an AMD 3200+, 8800GT and 2 GB Ram.

However after seeing a similar post I tried the following.

Skirmish Map - Brothers.

First with sound

Game starts at Sim Speed of 4, then  I go and cap the Portal to the right as I approach it moves down till hit hits 0 and stays there.

Then without sound using the /nosound option

Game starts at Sim Speed 4, I cap - still a steady 4 and fps 45. I then wade into battle and it remains at 4 with fps above 40.

My card is a Creative Labs Xfi Xtreme Gamer card (latest drivers Dec 2008) - so a good card. I have tried various options such as no hardware acceleration (much worse!) and turning off EAX etc. Tonight i'll turn back reverb back on to see if that has an effect.

So anyone else seeing a difference in performance with /nosound. Also Are there any other options on the switches - the sound options don't seem to make a difference.

I'll also try the onboard sound card tonight and post my findings. However IMHO the game performance should not be effected to this degree

Tals

If you are not sure how to implement the /nosound option then this post should assist https://forums.demigodthegame.com/348389

If you do have the issue Stardock have also made this post

for those of you experiencing the audio performance issues, could you please email [email protected] with the following information.  Entitle your email NOSOUND PERFORMANCE ISSUE.

Before sending this information, please do the following if you have not already:

1) Update your sound drivers to the latest available.

2) Make sure your motherboard and chipset drivers are the latest available.  (These are drivers such as Intel Chipset XXX where xxx is your motherboard chipset.)

Once you have the latest drivers, run Demigod and reproduce the issue.  Then exit Demigod and create / obtain the following files.  Please attach the following information to your email:

1) Please run the DXDiag.exe utility and save the output to a file.

2) Attach your DemiGodLog.TXT which can be found here:

%userprofile%\My Documents\my games\Gas Powered Games\Demigod\DemiGodLog.TXT

Thank you for your assistence in helping us address this issue for the community.

Pinned, Locked Post 171 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 18, 2009 1:42:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

THIS IS RIDICULOUS I DID NOT PAY $50 DOLLARS TO PLAY A GAME WITH THE NO SOUND MY FPS LITTERALY JUMPED FROM 14 FPS WITH SOUND TO 60 WITHOUT SOUND

PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE THIS IS THE WORST THING YOU CAN DO TO YOUR CUSTOMERS 

AND BTW I HAVE A RIG GTX 295 3.0GHZ QUAD CORE 4GB DDR3 RAM SO WTF I CAN RUN CRYSIS ON VERY HIGH BUT DEMIGOD ON MEDIUM WHAT THE FUCK!

July 18, 2009 1:45:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

O I ALSO HAVE THE XFI EXTREME GAMER 

July 18, 2009 4:43:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

GUSTEPO, writing in ALL CAPS makes it seem as if you are yelling and that generally does not result in getting a helpful response. I also don't see the need to swear. (I also get very tired of ill-tempered people coming onto forums and implying that the developers/publishers/whoever don't care about their customers. Especially in the case of Stardock, that is simply untrue, and hence a rather malignant way of voicing your complaints. But I digress.)

PCs are an inherently difficult system to develop on, as each PC will be different. Imagine the total number of different configurations of hardware and then add a layer of software on top of those different systems. In other words, the nature of the PC makes it impossible for the developers to test against all eventualities. As it turns out, some part of your system just happens to cause some hitherto unforseen problems.

With that out of the way, did you try any of the fixes suggested in this thread? Did you update all of your drivers?

EDIT: strangeness ensues when copy-pasting someone's username, apparently.

July 22, 2009 10:21:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey all, this has become a huge problem for my friend. He has an ATI HD4770 and 2 gigs of DDR2 ram so the game runs equally on high and low graphical settings. The issue is that he has a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz processor and a built in soundcard on an ASUS board. Whenever lots of units come to the screen and lots of sound effects are going on he goes from 5 to -1 Simspeed.  Checking the forum the /nosound command line completely fixes the problem and makes the game run perfectly.  Now though, he is looking into buying a new soundcard to figure this sucker out.  My understanding is that onboard soundcards put a lot of load on the CPU, having only a singlecore he needs a soundcard that will offload all those excessive 3D sound effects from the processor.  The damn internet isnt really helping me, nobody seems to think that sound could ever lag a game on any general forum. My question is, do all sound cards have APU's (Audio processing units)? and when focusing on a 2 speaker configuration in which simspeed of demigod is the main concern, what should he buy? I was looking at these 2:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX10326(ME).aspx   I liked how this soundblaster is a recognizable brand, but it doesnt make any mention of a APU in the specs which... is a problem. It might be assumed but I have no way of knowing which APU's are supperior to others and this is the main concern!  Anyway here is the second choice:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX24907(ME).aspx  Significantly more expensive and I dont recognize the brand, it makes direct mention of its sound processing unit though so that is good.

What card do we need to help offload the rediculous strain that Demigod puts on the CPU from sound? Really would appreciate some advice guys.  Also, I wish there was a way to dramatically reduce the level of complexity involved in the sound system, I dont need crazy 3D sound calculations, if units are attacking in a certain range just let us hear them, why isnt the low setting a significantly reduced Audio mode without complex distance/sound calculations..  Bothersome.

I cant believe there havnt been any tweaks developed or real solutions to this problem besides turning off your sound. No sound really sucks!

July 23, 2009 10:39:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Masterdan,
I cant believe there havnt been any tweaks developed or real solutions to this problem besides turning off your sound. No sound really sucks!

Did you read any of the other possible solutions in this thread?

July 24, 2009 4:33:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well of course I have. I wouldnt register for a forum account and post in this very thread had I not tried everything suggested on this forum to fix the problem.  The solutions sound nice and technical but they dont actually do anything. I mean, yeah turning off movies seems to marginally improve performance, but clearly the issue is with the sound lagging the game. So no, none fo the suggested measures did anything to help.

However I will post about what DID help and got my friend from having max Simspeed of 3 to a min simspeed of -2  to having a max simspeed of 8 and a min simspeed of 3.  It was a weird solution but I came up with it when I noticed that there were audio drivers for his ASUS motherboard that were newer but meant exclusively for Windows Vista.  I wanted to try em but I knew windows vista was a clunky OS not very good at running applications in general.  Then I saw that you can get ahold of a legitimate copy of the Windows 7 RC (and subsequently buy it in a while when it launches).  So I installed that and installed the audio card drivers for vista (windows 7 isnt available yet for ASUS but Vista is backwards compatible).   So yeah. Thats all I did, guess what? dramatic difference. Now this rig should be running even smoother to be honest, the sound problem still exists and this is obvious especially when you listen to some of the sounds from the character selection screen (specifically the beast) in which the sound stutters and bugs out.  This rig deserves performance to never go below 5 simspeed, but windows 7 made a drastic difference.  I dont know if the OS is just straight up better or addresses what is being handled so poorly in the old XP install, or if the newer drivers intended for Vista simply had more updates made to them for games using the FMOD engine. God help me I dont know why it worked, but if you are having this problem honestly consider windows7. I am blown away that it performed so well, i hoped for a marginal improvement, I got a drastic improvement.  So I am a happy camper.

Also, ASUS is garbage and dont buy from them. If they did simply neglect the XP drivers then F-em, at any other rate, I wouldnt count on ASUS for soundcards, integrated or not. I'm going to recommend Intel and Gigabyte boards from now on.

July 24, 2009 9:58:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Glad to see that you found a solution, but your opening paragraph puzzles me somewhat:

Quoting Masterdan,
Well of course I have. I wouldnt register for a forum account and post in this very thread had I not tried everything suggested on this forum to fix the problem.  The solutions sound nice and technical but they dont actually do anything. I mean, yeah turning off movies seems to marginally improve performance, but clearly the issue is with the sound lagging the game. So no, none fo the suggested measures did anything to help.

This thread contains other solutions than simply turning off the in-game sound. Did you look at the sixth page of this thread and read the suggestions by Telparian and yours truly (i.e. replacing some DLLs)? Those suggestions/solutions are not as drastic as swapping operating systems and they certainly aren't "technical". And they do actually, on some systems at least, have an effect.

EDIT: I hate that copy-and-pasting usernames messes up the post...

July 24, 2009 3:36:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I did try all of the things, the replacing of DirectX dlls seemed farfetched and unfortunately was not my problem. I am sure that a minority of people with issues do have corrupted DirectX dlls but the majority of people with this performance issue probably dont (it would be a lot of people with the same corrupt file).   So yeah, I have tried all the solutions and I didnt mean to imply that some of them werent advanced fixes, only that they were longshots that fix problems for only a minority of people with /nosound performance issues.

August 12, 2009 12:23:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I had the same problem as everyone else. Used the /nosound thing and i ran the game fully maxed out with no issues.

I tried every logical thing that was suggested, but it didn't work. Then I tried the Direct X update and it fixed it. The only issue I have now is occasonally the sound pops and the sound is gone for like 2 secs, but thats a good tradeoff I think.  

August 26, 2009 9:26:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

C'mon already we need a fix for this... PATCH PLZ

It really sucks playing with no sound because you sometimes completely miss when your fortresses are being destroyed...

August 26, 2009 11:58:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Several sound issues should have been addressed in the patches.  If you are still having issues, please e-mail [email protected].

November 26, 2009 5:12:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey folks ...

Joining the unhappy ranks of the /nosound crew. Also an owner of a A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard running onboard sound (Nforce 4). Tried a lot of the solutions in here to no avail. Going to throw in the towel & return product.

November 27, 2009 2:51:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just downloaded the Demo of Demigod and think it is quite a fun game.  Way more skill-based than LOL but not the same old boring DOTA. 

The thing is I also suffer from this problem. 

Initially the Demo ran like complete crap.  My system should run it max settings no problem but it was lagging like hell on lowest.  I turned the sound quality to 'lowest' and bam, problem solved.  The thing is the sound cuts out periodically on the lowest sound settings. 

November 28, 2009 11:05:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

End users with poor quality sound chipsets/sound cards may lower the sound quality to medium. This increases performance whilst you can enjoy the game with practically no audio "sacrifices".

November 28, 2009 1:26:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hawk:  Just in case you didn't try this already...

1.  Lower your sound settings to medium.

2.  Turn re-verb off.

3.  Make sure your windows speaker settings are on stereo/headphone/2-speaker (not quadrophonic). 

All of these steps are important, and they completely solved my problems playing DG.

November 28, 2009 1:50:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Nucleus Accumbens,
Hawk:  Just in case you didn't try this already...

1.  Lower your sound settings to medium.

As he, and me have said twice on here.. most of the times suffices with just that.

December 23, 2009 5:15:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi there,

i'm new here, but own this game since many months.

First i played it under WinVista x32 with this machine:

intel Q9550 @ 4x 2.8 GHz

Asus P5E Delux with X48 Chipset

4GB DDR2-1066 RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 275

and a SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Music

and it worked like a charme. I don't realy know the fps, cuz i never looked for it. Sound was very good too!

Now i changed too Windows 7 x64 and the bad begins.

Some lil' noticeable fps reducing and the sound was THE HELL!

criplling, stuttering, looping and all other freaky effects... it was not possible to play the game...

After i tested the /nosound param, i got all my fps back AND many more as vista AND i noticed some art of gamespeed increasement, not only the fps!

BUT I WANT TO HEAR THE GAME SOUNDS!

I DON'T PAY FOR THAT GAME, TO ONLY "VIEW" IT, I WANT TO HEAR, FEEL, ETC. ...

don't tryed anything else the /nosound param, cuz i don't buyed my X-Fi to deactivate it in games, i buyed it to hear all of the soundfx like Hall, EAX and the other s#!t!

I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW A SOFTWARE COMPANY DON'T REACT ON PROBLEMS FROM USERS LIKE THIS...AND THIS IS A -B I G- PROBLEM, IT'S THE SOUND!!! AND THAT MAKES 50% FROM A GAME!

SO THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO WONDER, WHY SO MANY PEOPLES USING PIRATE-SOFTWARE...'CUZ WHY TO PAY FOR SUPPORT, IF THERE ISN'T ONE???

(Anyone want my valid key?)

cheerz

EDIT:

Noticed, everytime i installed the game new WITHOUT updating, the sound works good at first start.

But after restarting the game, it smashed up again!

January 28, 2010 4:15:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am another that has the /nosound issue.  It works wonderfully without sound, but I WANT SOUND.  I want to hear as I tear foes apart, time after time.  

Could someone at least post that this is an issue being considered for the next patch?  

And Snoop: I have a friend that could use the valid key - we have a group of 4 that is considering delving it the game.

February 11, 2010 2:49:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting MarauderX,
I am another that has the /nosound issue.  It works wonderfully without sound, but I WANT SOUND.  I want to hear as I tear foes apart, time after time.  

Could someone at least post that this is an issue being considered for the next patch?  

And Snoop: I have a friend that could use the valid key - we have a group of 4 that is considering delving it the game.

Sorry, it was only a joke!

I love that game, and i would love it more WITH SOUND!

I'll keep my key in hope that any patch or hotfix will fix this bug! sry

October 25, 2010 3:31:06 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have this problem as well (easiest way to test was in the Demigod selection screen, which had nasty sound looping). Similar to what others had, running under Windows XP SP3, I have an Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard and a Creative Soundblaster X-FI ExtremeMusic sound card (all drivers current). In DXDIAG, I set the hardware accelleration of the sound from Full down to Basic. That didn't totally eliminate the problem, but at least made the game playable without totally degrading all the other programs I have that use sound card hardware acceleration (as using software emulation might have done).

November 4, 2010 12:19:47 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Update: I found another configuration that seems to work for me. This time, it's back up to Full sound card hardware accelleration, but I disabled a couple of mouse features: pointer shadows and "Hide pointer while typing".

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001109   Page Render Time: