The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Tip for newer players when playing online

By on April 20, 2009 7:03:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do not play custom games online.  Ever.  Due to various imbalances, tricks, exploits, hacks, etc. your demigod will evaporate instantly upon contact with an enemy demigod.  If it hasn't happened to you yet, it WILL happen to you sooner or later, and probably more sooner than later.  You will not learn anything from games like this, ever.  You will also not have any fun with games like this, ever.

Your best bet is with skirmish mode, or pantheon.  I have had much, much better experiences with these modes online.  I don't know the explanation for this, but my theory is that certain exploits, tricks, hacks, imbalances, etc. are not present in skirmish or pantheon modes.

Bottom line - just play skirmish or pantheon mode.

+31 Karma | 58 Replies
April 20, 2009 7:26:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Troll? I can't sometimes tell the difference. I'm assuming this isn't..

Atm there's like, one exploit, and it's not particularly useful. The demigods are quite well balanced all in all, and I don't think there are any hacks around.

My theory is, you don't instantly evaporate in skirmish or pantheon because they're just full of bots atm, maybe a player or two if really lucky.

My tip for newer players is, read Kestrel's tips., they might help to get you started. Especially the point about running away.

Agent of Kharma, if you spent more time actually playing the game - against human players - instead of blaming exploits and  hacks, you'd see much better success.

April 20, 2009 9:03:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If anything, the current state of skirmish and pantheon (bot heaven) means that those are the games where you learn nothing.

April 20, 2009 9:42:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Agent of Kharma, if you spent more time actually playing the game - against human players - instead of blaming exploits and hacks, you'd see much better success.

I'm not asking for your help or tips, nor for your criticisms or insults.  I am giving a tip for newer players.  Now, do you have any useful information that could contribute to this topic?

You did mention one thing that might be useful - bots.  I did not know that pantheon or skirmish was "full of bots."  I have asked whether there were real people playing or not, and have gotten responses back from humans.  But I did not go down the line of a 10 player game and ask each and every person to chime off.

Can anyone else confirm whether skirmish/pantheon is full of bots?  If so, its sad, because I've found it to be the only decent mode worth playing.

April 20, 2009 9:54:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've played 6 games of pantheon so far and got 5 of them FILLED WITH PLAYERS (5 vs 5). BEST multiplayer experience of my life! Even got the HONOUR of getting my ass wiped by HorseRadish (my ratio is 4 wins / 1 loss because of him ). Only one game did I only get bots and I got warned (the in-game voice saying players have disconnected) so I asked in game if anyone was around..no one replied so I quit and restarted a new game (5 mins later I was fighting in out in a fortress pantheon game where we won by 1 fortress (less than 2000 health left ).

So NO the pantheon is NOT filled with bots to the contrary! Read the Monk's networking guide to Demigod and all will be made clear and you will NEVER have another connection issue again (worked for me )

-ShadowMastiff2468-

April 20, 2009 10:04:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Agent of Kharma,

Agent of Kharma, if you spent more time actually playing the game - against human players - instead of blaming exploits and hacks, you'd see much better success.
I'm not asking for your help or tips, nor for your criticisms or insults.  I am giving a tip for newer players.  Now, do you have any useful information that could contribute to this topic?

You did mention one thing that might be useful - bots.  I did not know that pantheon or skirmish was "full of bots."  I have asked whether there were real people playing or not, and have gotten responses back from humans.  But I did not go down the line of a 10 player game and ask each and every person to chime off.

Can anyone else confirm whether skirmish/pantheon is full of bots?  If so, its sad, because I've found it to be the only decent mode worth playing.

Press tab in game and look at their pings. If it says 0 it's a bot or it's you. The average pantheon game for me has 1 or more bots. It's normally 2 humans per side and rest are bots. Light has the short end of the stick too as ai rook is the weakest ai, sedna isn't much better at being a help to the team. The only decent ai for light is oak.

Custom may only seem bad because some people pick the game up quicker then others. Just like a sport some people will just be better then you. There's no imbalances going it's simply someone has played enough to know and want to win. The sad thing is right now there is alot of people online that put up less of a fight then a nightmare ai and they're only challenging if your ai isn't.

April 20, 2009 10:15:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

this guys says dumb shit

i think people should ignore him

April 20, 2009 10:17:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you're a newer player then just practice in skirmish, it's stupid to jump into multiplayer in any game right away. Also, what tricks or imbalances? Biggest problem I've ever noticed is Regulas sniping citadels from their spawn, I personally don't think he should be able to snipe anything unless the fog of war is cleared there.

April 20, 2009 11:12:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Also, what tricks or imbalances?

Plenty.  I'm not going into them on this thread.  They are pretty outrageous, and happen all the time on custom games.

I just played another online skirmish.  Before the game started it showed me connecting with other players.  After the game started I confirmed all players were human - not bots.  I repeat - all players human, none bots.  It was also another good experience, vs. a shit experience.

Based on this I will again recommend newer players who want to have fun should play online skirmish mode, or online pantheon.

April 20, 2009 11:20:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Custom may only seem bad because some people pick the game up quicker then others. Just like a sport some people will just be better then you. There's no imbalances going it's simply someone has played enough to know and want to win.

What you say is demonstrably incorrect because while all are online multiplayer experiences (custom, skirmish, pantheon), only one of these modes (custom) gives me a raw deal.

it's stupid to jump into multiplayer in any game right away.

Again I say that I have no problem whatsoever jumping into multiplayer right away, as long as that multiplayer is "skirmish" or "pantheon."  The problem is custom games.

April 20, 2009 11:39:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here's a better tip for new players.  If you want to be good, learn to use the cheesiest shit available to you.  Learn to use it well and learn enough cheesy strats that you don't become predictable and therefore counterable.  When your strat gets nerfed, pat yourself on the back and find something else to be cheesy with.  You get better at games by playing to win, not by calling people who own you exploiters and cheaters and running off to play against bots.

April 20, 2009 11:44:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

honestly, no idea what you're getting at Kharma. this doesn't seem like a very productive topic of conversation unless you're willing to actually bring up some of the "dirty tricks" you think people are using against you in custom games. 

April 20, 2009 11:49:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Rofl. whats the problem with custom games? I've played nothing but and had zero issues. Look at the game options before it starts if you're scared of someone using some crazy option. Also host your own damn game and you have nothing to worry about! ZOMG!

So, you got spanked. Everyone loses sometime, nothing to QQ about.

April 21, 2009 12:50:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You get better at games by playing to win, not by calling people who own you exploiters and cheaters and running off to play against bots.

Idiot.  I already said several times I was not interested in playing against bots.  Can you read?

this doesn't seem like a very productive topic of conversation unless you're willing to actually bring up some of the "dirty tricks" you think people are using against you in custom games.

I brought them up in another thread.  This isn't that thread, this is a different thread.  And this is a productive topic of conversation if newer players read this thread and are helped by it.  I wish someone had written this thread for me days ago.

Rofl. whats the problem with custom games?

Listen, if you like them then there's nothing wrong with them.  So if you like them, why are you here?

So, you got spanked. Everyone loses sometime, nothing to QQ about.

Actually, I haven't been legitimately spanked by anyone yet.  But either way, this thread isn't about spankings.  This is a thread about recommending a particular gaming mode to newer players who don't know which mode they should be playing.  I myself didn't know which mode I should be playing, thus I was in custom game mode for far too long (mainly because I couldn't connect with the other modes).  I have found non-custom mode to be far superior.  Why do you have a problem with that?  Can't you people find anything better to do besides cruise threads and flame people?

April 21, 2009 12:52:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks to ShadowMastiff for actually understanding the topic of this thread, and for not flaming or insulting people.  +1 karma.

April 21, 2009 6:43:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

why should anyone believe youre recommendation is you won't even provide a reason for it?

you're entitled to your opinion. its totally fine to ENJOY Pantheon alot more than custom games. its another thing entirely to claim there's something WRONG with custom games. so you've made a claim and i'd like to know what you're referrring to because its horribly cryptic. you won't even give a straight answer to the question i asked you. you said there was another thread about it, can you at least provide a link? jeez, not trying to attack you just wanna know wtf you're even talking about. 

April 21, 2009 8:54:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting transitive,
why should anyone believe youre recommendation is you won't even provide a reason for it?

you're entitled to your opinion. its totally fine to ENJOY Pantheon alot more than custom games. its another thing entirely to claim there's something WRONG with custom games. so you've made a claim and i'd like to know what you're referrring to because its horribly cryptic. you won't even give a straight answer to the question i asked you. you said there was another thread about it, can you at least provide a link? jeez, not trying to attack you just wanna know wtf you're even talking about. 

The only difference i've seen is that I play much better people in custom games. So unless there's some massive imbalance i'm missing here...

April 21, 2009 10:20:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you won't even give a straight answer to the question i asked you. you said there was another thread about it, can you at least provide a link? jeez, not trying to attack you just wanna know wtf you're even talking about.

https://forums.demigodthegame.com/348067/page/1/#2155544

@ Agent - Your opponent probably bought cheap armor to start and had Furious Blade favor item or similar.  The armor would make your normal attacks hit for less and that Favor item has 15% chance to make his attacks 30% faster.  Or he had a favor item that made him hit harder.  Point is, there were no hax, outside of micro it could have been as simple as starting items.  If you have access to the replay check to if he was hitting faster or harder than you were, or if your hits were doing less damage.  

I think it's fine to encourage new players to play Pantheon and Skirmish matches - they will be less likely to encounter premade teams and Beta players - but at this point the only minor exploit I can think of is minion stacking and that isn't even an IWIN button.  No Hacking.  No Cheating.  To claim otherwise will just confuse the new players you are trying to help. 

O and if you ever see me on IRC PM and we can play a game, see if there's anything you want help on...

April 21, 2009 10:33:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ah, i see what he's getting on about now. this is a repeated pattern with him. obviously all losses are the result of hax and cheats and have nothing to do with player decisions....

April 21, 2009 10:43:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's the basics of the human psyches!

As long as you can blame others and pretend it's just not you that miscalculated and failed everything will be alright! (Until he falls into another game and the same thing happens over and over again!).

Go on players..maintain this ilusion of greatness! But like the old proverb says! The higher they are (your ego and massive "skill") the harder they fall! And when they do we point and laugh

April 21, 2009 6:01:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@ Agent - Your opponent probably bought cheap armor to start and had Furious Blade favor item or similar. The armor would make your normal attacks hit for less and that Favor item has 15% chance to make his attacks 30% faster. Or he had a favor item that made him hit harder.

I have long believed he equipped a ridiculously OP favor item at start.  Yes - I consider it BS.  Yes - I consider it illegitimate.  I think it's a ridiculously stupid idea to have favor items in the game (outside of a campaign or something, which obviously doesn't exist).  Why someone would want to "win" (cough) with such a thing is beyond me.

ah, i see what he's getting on about now. this is a repeated pattern with him. obviously all losses are the result of hax and cheats and have nothing to do with player decisions....

Boy, you really know how to read, transitive.  I have said repeatedly that all losses are not created equal.  I have lost plenty in a "legitimate" way, and I've never had a problem with it.  NEVER.  But I DO have a problem when I "lose" (cough) simply because you get to equip some ridiculous OP artifact at the outset, and I don't get to do the same.  The "skill" you beat me with (cough) was the "skill" of clicking on the favor item list and selecting your OP artifact or whatever it was.  LMFAO!

Thanks for sidetracking my thread.  People have morphed it from giving newer players a tip to make their gameplay experience more fun, to a flamefest.  Back on topic - I haven't seen people equipping OP favor items at the outset of the game when I've played pantheon or skirmish.  Now, I don't know why this is the case.  I'd like to think (hope) that this is because it is impossible to do.  Someone else who knows the game better than me can perhaps shed some light on this?

Thanks for some constructive comments, Ke5strel (+1 karma).  And thanks for your offer of help, however I really don't need any.  I just need to stay away from people who enjoy "winning" (cough) by being able to equip some OP artifact at the outset of the game that someone else doesn't have access to.  Other than that sort of thing, I do just fine at the game.

April 21, 2009 6:20:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Idiot.  I already said several times I was not interested in playing against bots.  Can you read?

Awww.  Did I hurt poor wittle noobi wan kenoobi's feelings?  You want to play against people who do not use the tools that they are given to play the game to the fullest possible extent.  People like that are close enough to bots that it makes no difference.  In fact, I think the bots might actually be better.  They don't have a ridiculous sense of gaming morality to get in the way.

April 21, 2009 7:01:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

you see,  you said that you were losing to exploits. this is what you said

"...my theory is that certain exploits, tricks, hacks, imbalances, etc...."

-Agent of Kharma, post #1 (original post of thread)

so i thought maybe there was some legitimate issue that you had found out about that i didn't know about. as it turns out there is not. you are just upset because somebody beat you with something legitimate and in your opinion it wasn't fair. all i was asking was whether there was some sort of cheating going on that we should know about. it turns out this is not the case. 

you should be ashamed that somebody else had to man up and answer the question for you, even though i asked directly and politely. 

also, i've hardly derailed this thread since my question and comments were all directly related to something in your own original post. 

April 21, 2009 7:09:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dunno, never encountered this except for maybe one game that felt a little strange.

April 21, 2009 7:38:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Awww. Did I hurt poor wittle noobi wan kenoobi's feelings?

Nope.  You hurt yourself with your lack of reading/comprehension skills, and your replies.  So keep replying - I want to see more from you.

you are just upset because somebody beat you with something legitimate and in your opinion it wasn't fair.

Who's "upset?"  I started a post to give new players advice on which mode of the game to play.  If anyone is upset, it seems to be you, because you don't like my opinion on which game mode new players might enjoy.  If you don't like my advice to new players, why don't you just go off and start your own post giving your own advice?

you should be ashamed that somebody else had to man up and answer the question for you, even though i asked directly and politely.

You should be ashamed that you continue to hijack this thread, and attack me unprovoked for my opinion on which gameplay mode would be good for new players.  I didn't answer your question because it keeps derailing the topic of this post.  I'm not going to answer questions about the price of cotton in England, either.  And you have been far from polite.

April 21, 2009 7:52:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Agent of Kharma,
If you don't like my advice to new players, why don't you just go off and start your own post giving your own advice?

The issue is some people aren't fit to be giving new players advice.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.