The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Monday

By on April 20, 2009 3:27:59 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Tomorrow will mark the 1st week since Demigod’s official launch.  The newer reviews that have come out since the initial launch have come back to more where we’re expecting:

Firing Squad: 84 of 100

http://www.firingsquad.com/games/demigod_review/page6.asp

Cosmos Gaming: 95 out of 100

http://www.cosmosgaming.com/articles.php?id=1963&articletype=review

GameFocus: 92 out of 100 and an Editor’s Choice

http://www.gamefocus.ca/?nav=reviewCard&fid=7318

Where are we at?

First, one of the side benefits from the day 0 debacle is that I have fallen in love with a new program called GameRanger. It’s hard to remember but back in the Total Annihilation days, playing multiplayer involved knowing someone’s IP address and trying to connect to their game via IRC or something else. But then program like TEN and Kali and such came out and made things better.  But if you’re having problems with getting multiplayer going, I have to say, GameRanger works pretty well and it is doing basically the same thing we’re in the process of setting up.

Now right now, Demigod, as a game, is awesome.  Demigod, as an on-line service, however, sucks ass. It works fine for what I dare say most people but for others, it's just awful. Our job is to make sure it works fine for everyone. 

Talk about being babes in the woods. Sins of a Solar Empire’s network “infrascture” to this day involves 1 server.  Demigod’s involves dozens of servers now because of so many people using it. I guess it turns out most people playing Sins of a Solar Empire were playing it single player.

So what is the cause of our woes?

Let’s talk about peer-to-peer networking.  Here’s how it works:

Everyone has to connect to everyone. And unfortunately, not everyone can.  Worse, the connection servers we’ve had have been just being pounded by the number of requests.

Why wasn’t this found in beta? There’s two reasons:

1) Our beta group was overwhelmingly located in North America and they didn’t have problems connecting to each other. That is still the case now.  But people in Europe tend to have problems connecting to people in the United States.

2. Our synthetic stress tests on the server were through pretty ideal connections where connections were pretty easy.

So what can do do about this?

This is a bit of an over simplification but you get the idea. We have the connections pass through these proxy servers on-route to the other player. The geographic location of these servers is key to keep users from getting lag.  I’m told it shouldn’t take very long to get this part going.

It’s not all bad

I will say that the current system does a pretty decent job.  Once we were able to throw enough servers at the problem we’re seeing a lot of successful MP games.  But that does little good for the people who just can’t connect and no amount of port forwarding is going to solve the case where two players just can’t talk to each other.

Expectations

My expectation is that by the end of this week, the connectivity problem will be largely solved. I hopefully won’t have to eat my words. But the fact that things like GameRanger works so well indicates that there’s little problem with Demigod itself but rather the service infrastructure behind it.

Stay tuned.

+912 Karma | 83 Replies
April 20, 2009 6:01:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@melric - yeah, they probebly will.   the zero pings is caused by your connecting having problems reaching theirs, even though you both can connect to a middle man.   It may not help with yellow, but it should reduce them.

April 20, 2009 6:03:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes.

April 20, 2009 6:49:26 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Will this solve issues for those of us with anal routers who won't let us connect to the NAT Facilitator?

I tried posting at the Dlink forums for my particular router but I haven't received a response yet.
Here's the post in case anyone wants to help find a solution http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=5141.0

April 20, 2009 7:15:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the update

I must say i'm very impressed with the level of communication between developers and customers for this game, absolutely fantastic work, keep it up!

April 20, 2009 7:19:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another guy in Australia going woot!

Good writeup and dead on the money - the game itself is great, the network bizzo surrounding it though is total balls - frustratingly so.

go son!

April 20, 2009 7:38:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Every time i see post from Frogboy about "WTF is going on" i just give him +karma. Cant hold myself -.-

April 20, 2009 7:49:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Brad.... I LOVE you. My God man. 

I'll take back any doubt I held last week that some of us were just going to be left hanging, and am so appreciative of all the work you guys are putting out to making the online matchup to this awesome game that just needs the right place to play it. 

Can't wait to see what you guys will do, and you have personally garunteed I'm buying any games you guys make in the future, all this support and communication is amazing.

April 20, 2009 7:50:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The US guy I was with in a AUS game explained he was in the beta and that the engine was capped to a set dealy of 500ms, so the 300 or so MS of lag shouldnt be a problem.

The thing is I dont seen to have much problem connecting to the US people from AUS, but my ping is usually around 300.  They always get shitty and kick me.  Now ive had us players in a aus game and it seems to run withhout a hitch, but i cant seem to find out if i can play in the US games. 

Normall i would just play in AUS games but they are few and far between.  So i have to resort to US.  I think having regions, or 'lobbys' for each country would be good, providing that the country has a resonable amount of users.

Maby we could change the ping disgle to 'GREEN' 'YELLOW' 'RED' and add a stability icon of 'G' 'Y' 'R' depending of the stability of the connection.

April 20, 2009 7:56:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I dont think it's completely honest to post just the good reviews for your game, especially if you're ignoring the two biggest sites

Gamespot - 6.5

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/demigod/index.html?tag=result;title;0

IGN - 7.5

http://pc.ign.com/objects/903/903770.html

April 20, 2009 8:07:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol u mad

April 20, 2009 8:09:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree that there should be multiple lobbies depending on which continent/country.

Would also make it easy on the proxies as well because the connections stay within that particular area.

April 20, 2009 8:12:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Silphius,
Being that I'm the guy in Australia...

Woot!

This.

Good to see we get noticed down here

April 20, 2009 8:13:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CommanderAdama,
I dont think it's completely honest to post just the good reviews for your game, especially if you're ignoring the two biggest sites

Gamespot - 6.5

IGN - 7.5

I think those have been addressed and discussed by the developers in depth.  If you pay attention to the past posts you will see they were almost excessively forthright about the initial poor reviews.  He was only recapping the recent (new) reviews.

April 20, 2009 8:26:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

By god get those proxies Brad! I've tried to play at least 11 games and not able to connect to a single one. All ports open on the home router...even tries to play directly to the cable modem. No luck

April 20, 2009 8:32:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Man, I am almost starting to wish I had had problems in beta. Sorry I let everyone down.

April 20, 2009 8:50:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks as always for the update.  These always cheer me up after a bad day.

April 20, 2009 9:02:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

As the blue block, I want to totally pwn other blue blocks using these new red blocks!

April 20, 2009 9:06:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Man, I am almost starting to wish I had had problems in beta. Sorry I let everyone down.

Same here.  Has worked flawlessly for me since Beta 2.  I never even had to forward any of my ports.

April 20, 2009 9:08:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Update appreciated, looked forward to the changes.

April 20, 2009 9:37:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Blitz64,
How about split up the regions like you mention so USA can only play with USA guys.  Europe can only play with Europe, etc.

I think most people don't care about playing internationally especially with the lag.

I do not want this I have a lot of guys in Europe I play and want to play with this cannot be an option

April 20, 2009 9:57:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm quite surprised, in the good way, about how honest the devs are about their game. I can't recall any other dev that say their game isn't performing as they would like. I can see a very bright future for the game itself and i wish that reviewers (cof cof gamespot cof cof) where more understanding, I hope reviews like that don't hurt sales much because Demigod it's awesome.

April 20, 2009 10:25:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If at start, they at least try some open beta for different region ppl, then they may able to see the problem more clearly and fix it before release. Until now I still dunno worth or not buying this game as I live in Asia, I think my ping will high enough for everyone to kick me out from their game (As someone in Australia say he can't join US game, ppl kick him out from room) , if no one allow me to join their game(US game/Europe game), then it is hard for me to buy this game as I no chance at all to play with others.

Can they list out currently how much Asia player online?

April 20, 2009 10:29:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting CommanderAdama,

Gamespot - 6.5

IGN - 7.5

You have no right to hold the name of Commander Adama you bastard. He's ten times the man you are (judging by your idiotic post, that is)!

April 20, 2009 10:37:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When is Pantheon stats tracking going to come back up? It went down and completely stopped tracking everything. The only thing I saw was about Epoch 0 but it just sounds like an excuse for not being ready for release. :I

Other than that, the game is fun but I hope you guys really fix the Pantheon stuff like favor tracking and such... it's getting annoying losing all my achievements every game (and the items).

April 20, 2009 10:42:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This cannot come soon enough

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.