The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Regulus vs Erebus

By on April 19, 2009 10:18:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So my level 10 regulus with an 8k artifact and full armor setup goes off against a level 10 Erebus. Like 9 times. The result each time are identical. He teleports himself to me and kills me. He has 5600 health. I have 5000 ish. I do 400 damage. He does 5000. I hit him with the skill that makes him take damage when he uses his first skill, im in angelic mode and going full tilt. 400 damage I manage. At the end of the game he had 9 kills, all like against me. I had 9 kills, mostly against AIs. So its not like he had bought some wickedly powerful artifacts as his gold couldnt have been much higher than my own. So what am I missing here?

EDIT: I originally said Torch Bearer, my mistake, its definately Lord Erebus as hes got pets and uses the Bite ability to drain and slow me down.

+1 Karma | 47 Replies
April 19, 2009 10:34:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

regulus kinda suck one on one versus anyone.  much better support character.

April 19, 2009 10:38:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You see torch appraching? Plant some mines at your feet, when he comes in close to nova or do something else, they'll hurt him bad.

See him charging? Throw some mines in advance and charge a snipe shot, he will have 30% HP left, then angelic fury and betrayer's mark until he's done.

Technically he cannot escape you even if he frost nova's you and runs, your snipe shit has a sick range.

April 19, 2009 10:45:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Too many details missing here to give much useful advice one way or the other but if, by 'full armor setup', you mean you were actually putting your cash into your armor value, that wouldn't have helped you at all against the TB.

April 19, 2009 10:57:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sorael,
regulus kinda suck one on one versus anyone.  much better support character.

What are you smoking guess you haven't played one of us beta testers who use him often.

April 19, 2009 11:07:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I forgot beta testers are the elite here, the newcomers don't know anything.

April 19, 2009 11:17:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm still wondering how a level 10 TB is doing 5k damage? Anyway, once again a case of skill or lack thereof, without being offensive.

Reg can kill demigods without help and he can steal kills from dusk to dawn with snipes to boot. Heck, even his mines are great tools of destruction. Mines.

Quoting Tatertot,
I forgot beta testers are the elite here, the newcomers don't know anything.

He's just saying that beta testers are used to how powerful he was. I wasn't a beta tester and I even know that Reg is a Demigod slayer. We're just putting common sense and practical use together, I've seen him destroy TB's with ease with my own eyes.

April 19, 2009 11:18:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sakhari,
Too many details missing here to give much useful advice one way or the other but if, by 'full armor setup', you mean you were actually putting your cash into your armor value, that wouldn't have helped you at all against the TB.

No what I meant was that I had helm/gloves/chest/boots etc for health/mana/regen/damage. Just saying I wasnt gimped by going in naked.

April 19, 2009 11:20:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Cerulean_Shaman,
I'm still wondering how a level 10 TB is doing 5k damage? Anyway, once again a case of skill or lack thereof, without being offensive.

Reg can kill demigods without help and he can steal kills from dusk to dawn with snipes to boot. Heck, even his mines are great tools of destruction. Mines.

Well in the prior match I managed 32 kills and 0 deaths against 2 humans and 1 AI so while im hardly a pro at this game I know how to play my character. I dont know how the Erebus could destroy me so quickly, literarily seconds. At one point he had 20+ minions on him and 2 towers and he killed me, survived all that damage and just floated off. Another time he destroyed me and the other human playing an oak, 2 on 1, with ease. Im just baffled.

April 19, 2009 11:38:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Annekynn,

Quoting Cerulean_Shaman,
reply 6

Well in the prior match I managed 32 kills and 0 deaths against 2 humans and 1 AI so while im hardly a pro at this game I know how to play my character. I dont know how the TB could destroy me so quickly, literarily seconds. At one point he had 20+ minions on him and 2 towers and he killed me, survived all that damage and just floated off. Another type he destroyed me and the other human playing an oak, 2 on 1, with ease. Im just baffled.

Hmm. It sounds like was fed to 10 then. Sadly, that's the only thing that could of happened. There's no way a TB of all demigods could do so with towers and minions on him and still have the dps to kill you so fast with the gear you're telling us you had. Also, most of TB's damage is through abilities that do static damage, so it's not like he could of boosted his spells up to insane numbers or anything.

Feeding can make a demigod into a god though. I got fed in a 2 vs 2 I didn't want to join (they were newer players, but they insisted it was fine and that they wanted to learn) and I'd not only solo both their oak and TB at the same time, but then I'd pop over and take out a tower or two before I went to a health crystal nearby. (Exile, so we had some health crystal flags on either side.) Nothing to do with UB being OP or leetness. I was just being fed and not only hyper upgraded the citadel, but I was stock full of godly items.

April 19, 2009 11:58:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

for the noob in the room could you please explain what Feeding is?

April 20, 2009 12:12:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Play better.

Assuming you're actually asking how to fight against, and not just whining that "someone beat me, nerf them!" like it quite seems, what you need to do is use mines.

Snipe is mostly for killing people retreating, and as a support skill to aide allies far away.  Your normal DPS should do more.

If you lay down 6 mines, that's 2700 damage which is little to scoff at.  Angelic fury is going to hit for 500 dmg then your 400 damage or whatever from shooting afterwards.  He shouldn't have much hp left then, so I don't know what your trouble is tbh..

Mines is more important than snipe.  Get mines upped before anything else.  Just 1 point in snipe to start.  Unless it's a 5v5/4v4 you might want more in snipe sooner.

Quoting TheTrav,

Feeding is raising the enemies cash and xp by giving them easy kills.  You should be doing as much as possible to not die.  Dying is bad.

April 20, 2009 12:14:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i find Reg to be "god-mode" once i hit level 7-8 or get the first 8k artifact.

April 20, 2009 12:27:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting TheTrav,

"Feeding" is a term taken from DoTA. What it refers to is argued over, but everyone understands the basic concept. I like the example of a vampire feeding and becoming stronger best.

Basically, it means giving the opponent "free" xp and gold. Typically, it was when highly skilled players picked out the newer or terrible players in a match and specifically preyed on them. Thus they could "feed" and gain power quickly, as more familar players would carefully watch their health and the location of all heroes so as not to give xp and gold to another demigod without good reason (usually standing their ground to fight and losing rather than being ambushed).

The term grew to basically mean whenever someone gained the most kills in a match, through preying on less skilled players or simply by being good, and quickly jumping up levels and grades of items. After feeding, a character is normally too powerful to stop, resulting in more feeding until the game is basically decided.

Normally someone being fed is much higher than anyone else in the game as feeding can't be split among team mates. If you work together, it's technically not feeding.

In demigod it's not as easy to be fed, but generally when large, easily avoidable mistakes result in you constantly getting kills, you're being fed. I'll give you an example from my UB, the TB I was playing was walking around capping flags with 40~ hp (I know it was below 50 as the initial 50 damage of my spit killed him.) After killing him many times in a similar manner, not because I was good but because he made terrible mistakes such as over chasing or walking around with no hp or mana, I was level 12 while everyone else was 6 or below.

From then on, as you can tell, it was pretty easy to keep feeding. Nothing gives you as much gold or xp as a demigod, so I was also rolling in gold which gave me many great items far earlier than I should of gotten them. At this point it doesn't matter if someone else on their team is an elite player, I > him simply because I was fed and now I'm not only twice his level, I have better gear than he would normally have at this level.

That is feeding.

April 20, 2009 2:02:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ok, so the key thing to note there is that if I reach level 10 by killing minions and you reach level 10 by killing demigods, you will have vastly more gold (which translates to bigger item bonuses) than I have?

April 20, 2009 2:17:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Getting more gold and more xp is always good, no matter how you do it.

But right now minotaurs and archers are hardly worth any gold, and demigod kills are worth a TON (600-1600 i believe)

April 20, 2009 2:24:19 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes killing demigods give you a lot of gold (usually 700-2000ish depending on the kill/assist). The more kills you get early the better your chances of gearing up earlier and furthering the win.

April 20, 2009 2:31:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting HorseRadish,

Quoting Sorael, reply 1regulus kinda suck one on one versus anyone.  much better support character.

What are you smoking guess you haven't played one of us beta testers who use him often.

Truth. I rip peoples' lungs out 1v1 as Regulus.

April 20, 2009 2:34:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Annekynn,

Quoting Cerulean_Shaman, reply 6I'm still wondering how a level 10 TB is doing 5k damage? Anyway, once again a case of skill or lack thereof, without being offensive.

Well in the prior match I managed 32 kills and 0 deaths against 2 humans and 1 AI so while im hardly a pro at this game I know how to play my character. I dont know how the TB could destroy me so quickly, literarily seconds. At one point he had 20+ minions on him and 2 towers and he killed me, survived all that damage and just floated off. Another time he destroyed me and the other human playing an oak, 2 on 1, with ease. Im just baffled.

That's called "I was pwning some nublets one match, and then I finally met someone who knew how to play the game". It happens to everyone.

April 20, 2009 8:49:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Vid-szhite,

That's called "I was pwning some nublets one match, and then I finally met someone who knew how to play the game". It happens to everyone.

Again I dont care that he would have kicked my ass because he manouvered better, took flags better, defended better etc. I couldnt do more than 400 damage to him going full tilt with everything I had. Even if he stumbled upon 6 mines by somehow teleporting himself right ontop of them I doubt I still would have been able to kill him.

April 20, 2009 12:02:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

feeder is a derisive term for a player who allows himself to be killed very frequently, thus feeding gold and experience to the enemy team very rapidly. a feeder on your team will make things for hard for you since his misplays are powering up the enemy team at a very fast rate. even if you're playing well, if someone on your team feeds the opposition they will eventually gear up with strong artifacts and begin to dominate even over other players who are decent but have not been able to buy artifacts so early. 

its almost impossible for a TB do do 5600 damage quickly through any means except using combinations of rapid gap closing and stuns/slows to hold people Circle of Fire/Fire Nova range for extended periods of time. Torch's normal attacks aren't all that strong compared to most DG's. 

April 20, 2009 6:08:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

He didnt use circle of fire. It was point blank damage of some sort and it was extremely quick. He wasnt that powerful until a certain point in the match so I believe its some item or combination of items that he was using. In either case it made him indestructable even against 2 players at the same time so hence my concern that theres some inbalance going on.

April 20, 2009 6:21:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's not imbalance; he was just a better player. If anything, TB needs some lovin' compared to other DGs, unless I'm terribly mistaken...

April 20, 2009 6:53:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Annekynn, here is an excerpt from a reply I just left on another thread:

I started a game.  I had rook.  I quickly bought the 2 armors I could buy, selected hammer slam, and ran out to capture a flag.  I met an opposing rook at the flag.  Now, understand that this is 10 seconds into the game.  I moused over and checked his hit points - they were identical to mine.  We fought.  I got in more hammer slams than him, and even got the first hit on him.  I not only got killed, but he had like half his hit points remaining.  I reincarnated, ran out to him again, fought him again.  I again got in more blows, more hammer slams.  I again died with him having half his hit points remaining.  So I moused over to the quit button, clicked it, and made sure he had to play a bot for the rest of the game.  Let me reiterate before I hear a bunch of assholes telling me this or that - OUR FIRST FIGHT WAS WITHIN 15 SECONDS OF THE GAME STARTING.  OUR SECOND FIGHT WAS WITHIN 45 SECONDS OF THE GAME STARTING.

I have seen tons of other outrages, just as bad as this one or worse.  I've seen stories like the one you recounted over and over.  Many times I have had my character literally evaporate just by getting within a few tiles of an enemy oak.  My theory for what happened with my rook story above is that some people get to start the game with ridiculously OP artifacts or "favor items" that you yourself can't start with.  It is a built in cheat which in effect is a "press a button and win" button for them.  They don't beat you because they are better.  They don't beat you because they have some "skill" (cough) that you don't have.  They just beat you because they got to equip some OP artifact as soon as the game started, and you didn't get to do the same.

As far as your story goes, the only explanation I can come up with is that the game is riddled with OP tricks, exploits, etc. that some players (especially beta testers) know, but that you don't know.  This kind of thing makes the game unfun.  I highly recommend and encourage you to just quit when you encounter BS like this next time.  Make the guy play bots for the rest of the game, while you start a newer, better game elsewhere.

Oh, I also highly recommend not ever playing these "custom games" or whatever.  Ever.  Only play skirmish or pantheon.  Why?  The simple fact is, I have never seen this sort of BS rear its ugly head on skirmish or pantheon, only custom games.

April 20, 2009 6:59:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting HorseRadish,

Quoting Sorael, reply 1regulus kinda suck one on one versus anyone.  much better support character.

HorseRadish, plays one of the meanest Regulus's I've had the pleasure to play agains...

(and I look forward to our next encounter, now that Erebus has been buffed and I've had more practice).

-----------------------------------------

There is gear that gives you a chance to "Crit" and when you crit you do additional damage, so it's possible that he had some of that gear. 

Are you 100% sure he was the same level as you?  If he was 3+ levels higher than you, it is often much easier for him to kill you.

It could be that he has a powerful favor item.  The only one i have unlocked is the 800 health + 5 health regen (Due to negative favor and losing all my previous purchased items), but it makes it pretty hard to tank/out last me early game. And it will force good players to run (or gives me a better change at running).

Could it maybe have been a bad connection/lag?  For the most part due to peer to peer lag is non existant for me so I doubt this is the issue. 

Overall I don't think we have all the facts or details.

It's one of the reason I want "Reveal on Death!"

When you die a window pops up of who killed you and shows all the gear they are using!

That way you can learn from your opponnet and get a better idea how to beat them.

April 20, 2009 8:20:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Im 110% positive we were the same level because it was the first thing I checked to explain why we were getting so ridiculously owned. Lag wasnt an issue was this occured many times in a row each time against the same player. As for favor items, there is no item called "I Win Button".

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000766   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.