The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

A new german translation for Demigod hits the ground

By on April 19, 2009 7:14:22 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock ForumsExternal Link

Hey there.

What a week. Demigod was released, we were fighting against server issues, saw many Admins or Admins___ out there on the IRC chat and finally managed to get a few games done.

I hope you´re enjoying your Demigod matches and I´m looking forward for network fixes, too. But maybe you find another problem, beside some network issues. Maybe you started your Demigod, looked up some demigods and their spell descirptions and thought: "Wow, this really sounds ... strange."

This is the point where TheBigOne, Kaesmuffin and Nokthra are coming into play. After some matches we were interested, how the translation of the game will look like. So we changed the game language into german and we realized:

Atari did not covered itself with glory.

So we started to translate the whole game on our own. After nearly two weeks and some long nights, we think we´re almost finished the translation. You´ll find a link to the updated .lua file below. Maybe you want to give this new translation a chance:

Head over to "Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\loc\DE ". There you´ll find a file named "strings_db.lua". We advise you, to backup your current .lua file, just to be sure.

Copy our updated .lua file into this directory. If you didn´t changed your game language into german at all and don´t know how to change it, go to:

"My Documents\My Games\Gas Powered Games\Demigod "

You´ll find a file called "Game.prefs ". First of all, make a backup of this file, just to be sure Then open this file with notepad, search for the following line "options_overrides = { " and add this "language = 'DE', " right under it.

Now, launch Demigod and if everything worked fine, you´ll have Demigod in german now.

We hope you´ll find our translation good enough. But if you think: "Man, didn´t they realized this failure?" or "I have a better translation for this spell/tooltip/whatever.", please, post your thoughts in this  thread. If you have other comments on this, please, post there

The link to the updated .lua file:

http://mipi.tsd.to/demigod/translation/updated_lua_file.rar

Last updatet: 22.09.2009

We hope you´ll enjoy Demigod a long time. Remember: There are two new demigods coming with the first content patch

See you in Demigod!

+29 Karma | 28 Replies
April 19, 2009 7:47:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great job Nothkra. TBO and Kaes. Although I dont know how to speak german, i was attacked by a German when I had trip there (Germany) for saying "shiza".

You dont see often a few volunteers translating a whole game...for free

April 19, 2009 8:28:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Thank you so much for doing this!! 

April 19, 2009 8:51:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Nice work guys! Although I don't understand a lick of german I can still appreciate the work you've done.

April 19, 2009 10:50:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No Hablo German English dude English

April 20, 2009 9:11:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Congrats on finishing this! It is nice to see actual players who know the actual language doing the translation

April 20, 2009 9:20:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wouldn't call it finished yet, it is definitely a lot better than the original translation though. To improve it even further we need some germans to have a look at it and tell us what  they think is not that good translated

April 20, 2009 10:37:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Concrats, i hope to finish the first Dutch version this week.

At that time i will use your installation description as a base for my own NL version...

April 20, 2009 1:42:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well altough I prefer to play the Game in English im still from Germany so I will probably take a look at it this weekend because I dont have any time before then.

May 15, 2009 10:25:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just wanted to push this topic a little bit, because the release is coming

May 23, 2009 3:00:54 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just another little push for the new german players

May 23, 2009 6:16:25 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great job guys! I only got a sneak peak at Atari's translation reading the German reviews and it was horrible... The Rook = der Turm, seriously? Can you play this modified version on Impulse? (I'll stick to the English version but I can advertise this on the German SupCom forum.)

May 23, 2009 10:05:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

You´re able to use it via Impulse. As you can read in the first post, you only have to change the localized .lua file.

May 23, 2009 11:50:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great, thanks! Wasn't sure which files are locked for modding yet.

May 23, 2009 1:16:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Does this still work with the newest patch?

May 23, 2009 2:26:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It should still work, yes. As soon as they add new items, we´ll have a look at them and update the .lua file. Until they didn´t add new items/demigods, there´s no problem.

June 14, 2009 4:46:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The link to the file is down.

June 14, 2009 6:46:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Colonel_Jessep,
Great job guys! I only got a sneak peak at Atari's translation reading the German reviews and it was horrible... The Rook = der Turm, seriously? Can you play this modified version on Impulse? (I'll stick to the English version but I can advertise this on the German SupCom forum.)

Rook=Die Festung

Oak=Der Eidfreund

I laughed my ass of while i was playing DG with viocechat with a friend who bought the german version.

June 14, 2009 7:04:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Rook = Turm

Thats actually perfectly accurate.

Demigod has several references to chess - we got a queen, king (oculus), bishops, and a knight (oak). QoT has a quote "Queen takes pawn" which is straight from chess. And the Rook figure is called "Turm" in german, so I don't know what you are fussing about in that case.

June 14, 2009 7:23:30 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

the link below to the lua file is down. pls reup

anyway, nice work man, gonna try it as soon as i receive the file.

June 15, 2009 7:24:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank you Chirmaya!

June 19, 2009 10:34:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Sorry for this, but thanks Chirmaya.

Should be back here: http://mipi.tsd.to/lua/german_updated_lua_file.rar

Anyway, if you have some suggestion, feel free to post them here

June 19, 2009 12:14:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nice effort, I do admit that I had to use the English ArmA 2 patch to play the german version properly.

June 21, 2009 3:56:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The Rook = der Turm, seriously?

That's the usual chess translation, no? Same in Dutch, de Toren. What would you have suggested?

I see someone else is already doing a Dutch one, BTW.

June 21, 2009 4:19:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

horse really doesn't no any german no hablo is spanish

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.