The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Server Status Page and Some other unprofessional issues

By on April 18, 2009 8:22:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

To be honest I'm quite shocked how a game focused on Multiplayer gaming can be this unprofessional and overlook so many obvious issues.

I like the game don't get me wrong, it's really fun when you can play, but since I managed to play only once per day after spending 3 hours, it's not fun any more, but just frustrating. (only 3 times in 3 days)

There are some funny yet sad stuff:

• Slow connection or any connection issues causes unresponsive GUI. I don't understand are you running the network communication code on the same thread? That sounds crazy. GUI should be responsible all the time and should show a status. I thought this is 101 of network programming. Obviously I don't know the internals and don't care either but if the GUI is unresponsive because of network issues that's bad, anyone can tell you that.
  • It's not clear what the status of the servers, what's going on right now, got lots of cryptic messages in error conditions hence troubleshooting is a big pain.
  • You don't have a "Status Server" page where it shows how many servers are there and how many of them are up and how many of them are down. (Assuming you've got more than 1 server(!) - so far doesn't behave like that)
  • Right now it's almost impossible to understand why I can't connect to a game.
    • Is it because servers are down?
    • or is it because I'm having some issues or someone else having some connection issues in the same game.
  • Finally I don't know who thought of that but "It's not a good idea to put a button on a full screen game that launches a browser!". This is not a show stopper unlike connections issues but I think indicates that something is wrong with the whole multiplayer experience.

I hope you fix these stuff ASAP, but if you want to keep people happy at least provide a status page with RSS support so we don't have to try to connect to game every 5 minutes and make a new post that says "*@#'#' Demigod Sux!!!"

0 Karma | 3 Replies
April 18, 2009 8:25:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

1 issue with that, Why have a server status page if the servers have nothing to do with multiplyer in this game. All matches are P2P, no hosting server needed. Hence no server status page.......

April 18, 2009 8:30:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Entropy86,
1 issue with that, Why have a server status page if the servers have nothing to do with multiplyer in this game. All matches are P2P, no hosting server needed. Hence no server status page.......

You are wrong, initilization process is about servers (AFAIK) otherwise game would just work. Such as if you can't access list of "custom games" that means servers are down because they are using central servers to propogate the list of games.

P2P design is elegant as an idea, however so many other games executed it successfully I don't which part of it's broken in Demigod, but it just doesn't work. Also it'd be nice to hear an explanation of that because I still didn't get it either. Are we having these issues because of broken P2P code? Or because lack of servers?

April 18, 2009 8:37:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I personally dont like the p2p idea, for some reason i can connect and play fine on many server based games but when i try and play with a particular friend any game that is p2p the connection really struggles. Its strange because we can both play other people fine its just between our 2 computers. Getting very frustrating.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.