The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod: Day 2 Status Report!

By on April 16, 2009 9:35:58 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

After a marathon coding session with lots of server moving we were able to release a Day 2 update which, from what we can tell from both the logs and from talking to people in chat has made a drastic improvement in the multiplayer experience.  In a nutshell, today’s update let us connect to a different multiplayer NAT facilitator than the original. This one isn’t touched by users who get the game at retail (or those who have a warez version of the retail).

Now, I do want to address something about the update that I’ve seen users talk about.  We aren’t blaming piracy for the fact that the day 0 multiplayer experience absolutely sucked.  The issue boiled down to us having put together a multiplayer infrastructure that was designed to handle around 50,000 or so connected users. If the game took off, we would simply add more servers as the load increased. 

But what happened was that we ended up with 140,000 connected users, of which about 12% were actually legitimate customers.  Now, the roughly 120,000 users that weren’t running legitimate copies of the game weren’t online playing multiplayer or anything.  The issue with those users was as benign as a handful of HTTP calls that did things like check for updates and general server keep alive. Pretty trivial on its own until you have 120,000 of them. Then you have what amounts to a DDOS attack on yourself.

So the day 2 update we released basically made sure legitimate customers were no longer being affected by those users. As a side note, no we can’t just eliminate the infrastructure being used up by warez users because they’re running the unprotected retail version and we can’t make a distinction between retail and pirated since there’s no copy protection. It’s not a huge deal in the long run (except to our metacritic score), it was just an unexpected challenge that made day 1 a very bad multiplayer experience.

What’s next…

So we still have lots of areas to improve the multiplayer experience such as dealing with European DSL stuff (one example) and we need to make the pantheon and skirmish stuff more robust and provide more feedback.  The team is probably exhausted so the next update may not happen until next week since the day 2 update seems to have made a pretty big difference for the majority that I think we can probably take the weekend off.

But next week I expect we’ll have an update that addresses a lot of the above plus starts to look at balance and regular in-game bug reports and such that we’ve been collecting.

Anyway, that’s all for now.  I’m going home to sleep. No really, I mean it this time!

+912 Karma | 39 Replies
April 17, 2009 5:46:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

120k non-legitimate @#$%^& players...?  

Keep that in mind next time someone complains about Impulse (as in getting updates only through it).

Wait a second, blaming pirates for everything is not a thing that Stardock should do.

They're not. Read the 3rd paragraph carefully.

(stardock always says that their game should be full and complete at retail)

If I would be developing a game for years then to see 120k @#$%^& people enjoying my work for free while I have bills to pay, I would indeed safeguard legitimate customers but wouldn't be that nice at all on first release...

April 17, 2009 12:32:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't really understand why the multiplayer server doesn't do a serial number/account check when you connect. Every legitimate user has a serial number, and they'll have an Impulse account to get updates. So that seems like a simple solution to kill pirated copies, and thus 88% of the server load.

April 17, 2009 12:44:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hmmm...  If it wasn't for the piracy article this morning, I would've probably missed this game.  I loved what I saw in development, then promptly forgot about it.

So make that 18,001 as of this morning.

This may fall under the adage of "any publicity is good publicity".

-Aox

April 17, 2009 12:53:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I don't really understand why the multiplayer server doesn't do a serial number/account check when you connect. Every legitimate user has a serial number, and they'll have an Impulse account to get updates. So that seems like a simple solution to kill pirated copies, and thus 88% of the server load.

This would have almost for sure caused the same problem they were seeing.  It was the fact that they had a machine that could only handle 50,000 users at a time (not playing the game together but just trying to talk to the server) and having an almost 250% load on it.  So even to do the inital key check would have caused the same load error as all the pirated copies would have had a check done for them as well.

Frogboy thanks for working so hard and giving of you time, you guys do a great job and always get out the best games.

April 17, 2009 12:56:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's pretty saddening that so many pirate a game and take advantage of Stardock's view on DRM, which I personally love them for. I was never really interested in Demigod but I think I might just get it now. I've seen some good comments and if it's supported as well as Sins, it's a good gaming investment. Looking at the effort that's been put in so far to post launch support, it looks like it will be.

Well done to all the Dev team and those at Stardock. We might get this industry decent again if more follow your example.

April 17, 2009 2:02:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So we still have lots of areas to improve the multiplayer experience such as dealing with European DSL stuff (one example)

What exactly is that problem?

April 17, 2009 3:34:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i agree online games take a little while to get out the kinks. Anyone here remember WOW day 1. I doubt it. But that was hardly a smooth begining.

Question: Perhaps a /bug command or something could be implemented. I never know where to post bug reports.

April 17, 2009 4:15:10 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There was some discussion about this on other forums, and someone brought up a very good point.  A lot of this piracy (and bad server performance) probably could have been avoided had there been a demo.  There's a lot of interest in this game, but many people (myself included) are unsure if this is worth $40US.  It looks fun, but will it hold my interest past a couple of weeks?  I don't know, so without stealing the game my only option is to hold off for a couple months and see how active discussions about the game are.  Unfortunately, many others took the theft option and I can't entirely blame them.  Not all pirates in this case are cheap assholes; some just wanted to try out the game before they bought it.

April 17, 2009 4:50:29 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There will be a demo, SD releases them usually within a month - to make sure they're using solid, stable code representative of the final game, rather than doing a demo based on beta code and taking time away from development.

April 17, 2009 5:01:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just played my first online game. I liked the single player version, but the mp just rocked!!!!!

THANKS!!!!

April 17, 2009 5:18:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

thanks Brad, you're hard work and open communication is very appreciated. truly the model of what a customer should want from his Software Vendor. 

multiplayer is working alot better too. i even got a few rounds in Pantheon last night and custom games are noticeably improved as well. 

April 17, 2009 6:43:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Glad to hear multiplayer is working better.  Now if only the game would actually launch, I'd could actually play some games with everyone!

April 17, 2009 9:20:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'll throw in with the comment of WoW on Day 1. I was there, and it was not an experience to be desired. That said, I recoginze a great game when I see/play one and hardly being a Stardock/GPG fanboy this game is a lot of fun. Demigod will probably replace WiC as my quick fix multiplayer game option.

Dear Stardock and GPG,

Please don't give up on us and support the game! Don't let the bad reviews get you down.  Continue the great support/service and your fan base will continue to grow over time. Enjoy the weekend!

April 18, 2009 1:36:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Why oh why did you have to release it 3 weeks before finals week though?? I have about 1 paper due every day for the next 2 weeks.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.