The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

p2p mathematical complexity

By on April 16, 2009 2:56:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

come on Stardock/Gas Powered, you guys are computer scientists, you know what i'm getting at here.

2 players (a 1v1 game) each make 1 connection = 2 connections

4 players (a 2v2 game) each making 3 connections = 12 connections

6 players (a 3v3 game) each making 5 connections = 30 connections

8 players (a 4v4 game) each making 7 connections = 56 connections

10 players (a 5v5 game) each making 9 connections = 90 connections

this is what we have to deal with to get a game going. 

surely there's a way to get a game launched before every player has made a connection to every other player. im sure there are lots of neat tricks and solutions built into the Impulse Reactor code for how to do this. you don't need me lecturing you on what the technical issues are like, you could probably teach a College level course on it at this point.

and yet here we are, getting lobbies that freeze up whenever even one player in the p2p network times out or breaks his connections. keep working. today's update helped a bit, but its not even close yet. 

+66 Karma | 3 Replies
April 16, 2009 3:16:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think your math is wrong.

Player 1 connects to players 2 through 10, thus players 2 through 10 are connected to player 1.

Player 2 connects to players 3 through 10, and thus all other players are connected to player 2.

Etc.

Of course, this assumes that connections are two way and not one way. So, you could be right, I'm just not sure how things are done with Demigod.

April 16, 2009 3:31:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

im assuming one way connections. thats what it looks like based on the connections dialog box that shows in game. its very possible for your ping to be recieved from a player but for you to not have received a ping back from that player. this shows up as a "yellow" connection. 

April 16, 2009 3:37:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm pretty sure it's two way. If you connect to someone, it also says they are connected to you.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.