I pirated Demigod

By on April 14, 2009 7:44:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Coma

Join Date 04/2009
+5

...to try it. And just moments ago, I bought it.

Just showing you guys that download-to-try pirates do exist

Locked Post 157 Replies +3 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
yMka_Ha_CaH9Ix
trillex
innociv
April 24, 2009 1:59:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nosferat1,

Quoting Renevent, reply 13"i am not some rich spoiled brat like you"

Of course you weren't speaking to me, but just thought I'd throw this out there...just because a person can pay for thier games doesn't make them rich spoiled brat.  You know...they might actually work and save up money and EARN their money.

"Unfortunatelly you prooved to me one thing.Narrowmindedness,unenlightenedness,dimbwitedness  will never let you understand my reasons."

I think you just let us on to understand *why* you can't afford to buy games

How nice of you to autoinvite yourself into the conversation.Self importance getting to you lately?This is just what i meant by "spoiled brat"

I think you might need to learn the definition of "spoiled brat".  Actually, it seems you have a lot of learnin' to do judging by the uninformed ignorant waste coming out of your mouth.  Maybe once you smarten up a bit, you can find a better job other than flipping burgers or begging mommy for change...and then you can finally do what the grown ups do...which is purchase goods with hard earned money. 

Until then I guess you will continue to be a cancer on the gaming industry, and nice people like me will continue to fund it.  It’s almost like you guys are on “gaming welfare”…and torrents are like your food stamps.

April 24, 2009 2:02:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"bottom line, you cant beat pirace, the law is based on material (cars... other crap...)"

Uh no, it's called copyright and intellectual property laws.

Sorry, you just got all tired typing out a bunch of crap for nothing.

April 24, 2009 2:14:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I downloaded Demigod from Stardock. Is that theft? And when I had downloaded it, it started copying files from a cd-image. I that piracy?

There's no good way of describing what constitutes copyright-enfringement, which is why no country has done it yet. Well, some have, but the laws are articulated poorly and therefore the wrong people are getting prosecuted.

April 24, 2009 2:18:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ultroman,
I downloaded Demigod from Stardock. Is that theft? And when I had downloaded it, it started copying files from a cd-image. I that piracy?

There's no good way of describing what constitutes copyright-enfringement, which is why no country has done it yet. Well, some have, but the laws are articulated poorly and therefore the wrong people are getting prosecuted.

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap5.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement

It has been done lol...and has been around for a long time.  The only problem goverment agencies are having is the enforcement of these laws.

April 24, 2009 2:19:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ultroman,

If you downloaded the game from Stardock you obviously PAID for it first. That is NOT piracy. Not sure what you're trying to say here.

April 24, 2009 2:25:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Demigod3k,

Another fact: words and letters by themselfs are not copy righted
so if i am a games proggramer, i can tear appart the games engine
to change few things so that it will not look like demigod
then to repatch it into a whole new game and release it free online
as long as no one will think it was demigod, no one will care

Creative works are copyrighted automatically in the US upon creation.  This includes game media, as far as I know, and includes the writing and story in the game.  If you reverse engineer or decompile Demigod, you are violating the EULA.  The EULA may or may not be enforceable by law (depends on jurisdiction), but I just wanted to point that out.  If you keep any of the game assets in your "repatched" version, you are also violating copyright, and you can be prosecuted for this.  The Demigod engine (Supreme Commander engine?) either falls under copyright or patent law, both of which render using the engine illegal.  As for no one caring, you can bet that GPG and/or Stardock's lawyers will be on top of it, even if it looks nothing like Demigod.

April 24, 2009 2:37:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Renevent,
"bottom line, you cant beat pirace, the law is based on material (cars... other crap...)"

More self importance,when you get tired of writing to yourself,please let me know.

I will not respond to your provocations,we do not want to see this topic closed cause of a flame war or do we?

To the other dumbass..as mentioned,you are still full of it.No need to reply

April 24, 2009 2:41:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Charvel1,

Quoting Ultroman, reply 3 - I downloaded Demigod from Stardock. Is that theft? And when I had downloaded it, it started copying files from a cd-image. I that piracy?
If you downloaded the game from Stardock you obviously PAID for it first. That is NOT piracy. Not sure what you're trying to say here.

Just saying that some of the people trying to whitelist the pirates write it in horrible ways. Talking about copying a pirated game is not illegal or piracy. Damn straight it is. Pirate-booty is still pirate-booty when you lend it to someone else or copy it or melt it into a statue.

If you have something you haven't paid for, you either made it yourself, you stole it, some goof gave it to you, or you found it. Guess which one fits the picture here. We copy a reverse-engineered game from the pirates who reverse-engineered it to not tell the MAKERS of the game that we have it. That's how many wrongs in one go? Enough wrongs!

I'm no white sheep in this, but I'm just the kind of person who needs to see what I'm buying before I buy it. If it's utter shite, then I don't want to play it anyway, so I delete it. If it's good, but a bit buggy, then I buy it, and get the update.

EDIT: Just had to say: Cuz let's face it, there are no other options. Games are on their release date either utter crap or buggy as hell. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. I'm happy to say I have learned by buying a shitload of crappy games

April 24, 2009 2:43:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Renevent,

It has been done lol...and has been around for a long time.  The only problem goverment agencies are having is the enforcement of these laws.

As I said, horribly done, or they would be easy to prosecute people with

April 24, 2009 2:56:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ultroman,

Quoting Renevent, reply 4

As I said, horribly done, or they would be easy to prosecute people with

Oh ok Mr. Lawyer lol.  First you said it doesn't exist and hasn't been laid out, now you say it's "horribly done".  The problem with enforcement is there is literally millions of people stealing crap on a daily basis...you can't prosecute them all and each individual case costs the companies/gavernment a lot of money.  they have tried bringing cases as "examples"...but it doesn't seem to deter pirates.

Anyways, the real point is you pretended there is no laws that distinguish between your two examples, and there obviously is.

Are you going to stop stealing people's hard work now?

April 24, 2009 2:57:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nosferat1,

Quoting Renevent, reply 2"bottom line, you cant beat pirace, the law is based on material (cars... other crap...)"

More self importance,when you get tired of writing to yourself,please let me know.

I will not respond to your provocations,we do not want to see this topic closed cause of a flame war or do we?

Are serious?  Really...is your brain functioning properly?

The reason you resort to comments like that is because you are unable to make valid points and keep up with the conversation.

April 24, 2009 3:00:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Demigod3k,

Now some people may say "modifying the game core is illegal"
well, its not... basicly yes buy practicly its ok. why? one word - mods!
new sound tracks, models, designes, all come to add better experiance to the game
yet the corporations dont githt them, why? because a good mod for a game = more sales for the game
hacking the game so that it will work without the disk is same as making a mod for it (practicly)

Erhm...no. It is not.

I have never seen a mod need to replace the executable file for the game.

NOCD-patches are not legal either, and they never have been. Game-developers don't mind them THAT much, because even users who bought the game use the NOCDs for convenience. Remember WarCraft 3? Now they patched it themselves so it doesn't need CD anymore.

A mod is NEW files in a NEW directory which you can load on-demand. OR replacement of pictures or sounds in the game with new non-copyrighted files. This is not illegal, as you aren't changing the original files, but replacing them. In hardware, this would break the warranty, but this is data, so you just have to reinstall afterwards.

You can say practically or basically...which of them means what anyway?...reverse-engineering the executable to do something that it didn't do before, whether it's telling your littlesister she's shit-for-brains when she starts "My Little Phony" or you're making a NOCD-patch, is illegal.

You yourself used the keyword "NEW"...not "MODIFIED" here:

new soundtracks, models, designs, all come to add better experience to the game

April 24, 2009 3:03:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting nosferat1,
That is why i will not continue arguing with you,since you lack some iq power for that.Maybe when you will get past the mental age of 13,we will continue this.

Quoting nosferat1,
Please let us end this before it gets bad.Don't want to start an actual flame war here

Quoting nosferat1,

I've figured out your strategy:

1) Attempt to justify your piracy by telling us you were FORCED to download the pirated copy of Demigod.

2) Say 'I would gladly purchase if only I didn't have to download. I like having the CD/DVD, the manual, etc.'

3) Say 'ALL the games I currently own are pirated copies'.

4) Get shown by others just how illogical your reasoning is; pointing out contradictions and outright lies.

5) Respond by making personal attacks, calling names, etc.; but not addressing the contradictions and outright lies at all.

6) Tell others to quit posting to your own replies because you don't want a flame war to get started.

7) Cringe in a corner hoping and praying the others won't respond so you can 'appear' to have won the argument by having the last post.

Grow up and contribute something meaningful to back up your original claims or get off this thread.

April 24, 2009 3:20:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Renevent,

Oh ok Mr. Lawyer lol.  First you said it doesn't exist and hasn't been laid out, now you say it's "horribly done".

I never said that. This was the first thing I wrote

"There's no good way of describing what constitutes copyright-enfringement, which is why no country has done it yet. Well, some have, but the laws are articulated poorly and therefore the wrong people are getting prosecuted."

There's no reason to shut down Piratebay. They've done nothing wrong. The governments and copyright-enforcers have to go after the crackers, but the crackers are top notch programmers, far from stupid, so they cover their tracks, and are hard to find. But it happens! H2O got caught...all of them. No one wins when end-users or people @ Piratebay get thrown in jail. There are 100s of torrent-sites out there to follow up.

Oh, and I don't think of it as stealing if I don't utilize the game more than once, and then decide whether to buy it or delete it.

Videos and screenshots don't do it for me, and if we have to wait months and months for a demo, which we always do, then I won't be there when it kicks off, to give comments, ideas and even troubleshooting on the forums, I'll be FAR behind everyone in game-experience.

Yeah yeah, I could just decide to buy the game at launch, but I'm not a millionnaire, so I have to pick which games I want to support. This was one of them.

April 24, 2009 3:27:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is what I was responding to:

"There's no good way of describing what constitutes copyright-enfringement, which is why no country has done it yet."

In which I provided EXACTLY what constitutes copyright infringement, and EXACTLY why pirate bay was shut down.

And it's not about winning, it's about enforcing the law. 

Pirate Bay is guilty, and the people who run it are scum and getting exactly what they deserve.

April 24, 2009 3:33:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So you didn't read the next sentence, which updates/supports the first sentence?

Piratebay never did anything wrong. They linked to other people who are doing wrong things.

If I have an ad on my homepage, and the company behind the ad get into some sort of shit, am I supposed to get in trouble too?

You may think what you want, but the guys at piratebay never hosted anything. Just links. I don't get why the enforcers don't just take it one step further. Then they'd be at the end of the rainbow. They can find the next ones in line, using data from the piratebay servers.

April 24, 2009 3:43:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Your second statement is WRONG, and these are clearly laid out as to what is and is not illegal, and does not cause the "wrong people" to get prosecuted.

And they did do something wrong, intentionally facilitating piracy is illegal. (intentions are key)

You may think whatever you want, but there are clear laws that the pirate bay broke, and now they are paying the price.

April 24, 2009 4:06:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There might be people being prosecuted, but its not going to make a difference at all until the right ones are prosecuted. You have to agree with that. No one benefits from piratebay being shut down. There're plenty of sites to fit the bill

April 24, 2009 4:13:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ultroman,
There might be people being prosecuted, but its not going to make a difference at all until the right ones are prosecuted. You have to agree with that. No one benefits from piratebay being shut down. There're plenty of sites to fit the bill

They are the right ones, they broke the law, they pay the price.  Just because piracy lives on without them doesn't mean their prosecuation is in vein. 

There is someting called justice in this world, and on that day it rang true.  Hopefully this is just the first step...

Oh, and as a direct result result of the verdict quite a few torrent sites *did* shut their doors (well..if this article can be trusted...it is from another torerent site lol).  From what I gather it's other sites based in Sweden...I guess they don't like the precedent that was set

Enter:

the pirate bay verdict torrent sites close

into google and go to the first link.  I had linked the site first but I thought with all things considered it might not be a good idea to link those sites here.

April 24, 2009 4:17:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The thread that just wont die.

April 24, 2009 10:22:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I wish I pirated it, but now all I can do is stare at the box art and imagine how fun it would be play as that rook thing!

April 24, 2009 10:34:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting fineMMX,
I wish I pirated it, but now all I can do is stare at the box art and imagine how fun it would be play as that rook thing!

Go play it then, really.

April 25, 2009 5:18:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[quote who="/b/" reply="22" id="2166361"]
Quoting fineMMX, reply 21I wish I pirated it, but now all I can do is stare at the box art and imagine how fun it would be play as that rook thing!
Go play it then, really.[/quote]

Good thing there are people like me who dont buy cats in sacks
Demigod is a good game for like a week or so when u play some SP and
see all the cool things, when u saw all the cool things Demigod just
repeats itself, hunt, improve, kill, destroy - all in about 20 minuts

The game is 100% MP based
but the MP dosnt work because of 2 reasons

1. lotd of DOTA players downloaded it to check it out if it better then dota
which then crashed the network, but overall many saw it not as good as dota and deleted the game

2. the game MP code is poorly made and cannot support many players at once
which is a huge mistake done by the developers because in fact this game should
of be 100% pure MP game.

So not only that its a realy sick cat in a sack, the developers are pissed off because
pirates found out about it and spread the word which resulted in refounds and sell drops
(Sort of: "dont buy it, come play dota its free and x10 times better and works with MP without problems")

April 25, 2009 10:52:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Go play it then, really.

My monitor is 48 pixels short! Thus I can't play

But as far as the recommended specs states My system can dominate this game

April 25, 2009 9:51:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Haha, the judge in the piratebay case was just considered incapable as a judge in this case, because he was in the pockets of "the companies". New trial pending. Swedish laws don't apply to these guys, you'll see. As a gamesprogrammer myself, I'm not the biggest fan of seeing my games on torrents, but you can't stop it. It's not possible. THE END

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000531   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.