The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

I pirated Demigod

By on April 14, 2009 7:44:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

...to try it. And just moments ago, I bought it.

Just showing you guys that download-to-try pirates do exist

+5 Karma | 157 Replies
April 23, 2009 5:46:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting nosferat1,
I was forced to download the copy.By the way not"pirate" but download.You"pirate" a game when you crack the game,otherwise you download it...learn the difference,cause there actually is one

I do not feel guilty in any way,since this is how i've done with all my games that i currently own.I had my share of dissapointing titles that i bought and hated.For instance Two Worlds,a marvelous single player rpg..oh boy oh boy,let me buy the game to play it online.It cost me 50 dollars,and for my astonishment,the game is a total fail in multiplayer,the single is great,but the multi is just lame.

For instance assasin's creed i played the pirated copy firstly,secondly i bought the game,and as with so many other titles there was not way for me to buy the game on launch date..i had to wait about 3 weeks till it came to Romania the country where i live.

Same goes for the other games i own,c&c tiberium wars and kane's wrath,crysis 1 and crysis wars.

Just made a photo of a few games that i have....not everyone who downloads pirated copyies of a game will never actually buy the game.

Demigod for me is a nice game,and i would love to buy it...but how,via pay/download? No thank you.I am old fashioned.I want the cd/dvd,the case,some manual and a poster,or some extra stuff.I hate steam and i hate anything that is even related to that,meaning pay to download.That i could do for free,just start a torrent and download.If i pay for something,i want to know that it was actually worth the price.That is why every game needs to be tested first.

I am not buying all those marketing crap.Like nfs undercover...wow what an epic fail of a nfs that turned out to be.My friends bought the game,they had to wait 1 month to gather the money,when they bought it,one of them actually poured gasoline on the case and burned it.

This picture comes from your humble "pirate" the one that ruins the game industry and would never buy any games

[/url]" alt="" />

http://xs538.xs.to/xs538/09174/1262.jpg

Btw just copy/paste the xs link in your mozilla,ie

I feel your pain. DDL is horrible, especially on my 768kbits/s DSL line. Plus, my sister is there doing whatever she is doing, eating up bandwidth like it is nobody's business.

I've had my fair share of crappy games that I've spent $50 on. Crysis for example. Multiplayer had some of the worst netcode, and you would lag at like 54 ping. Everybody hacked the game until it died. Singleplayer sucked horribly. After the first three missions that were kind of cool, the game made you toil through the other 70% of the game's horrible AI and gameplay. I couldn't believe the reviews, and have lost a lot of respect for GameSpot, IGN, and 1up afterwards (though I still use 1up and GameSpot). The game was just horrible, and guess how much patches EA gave us to ease our pains: two. Stardock already broke that record within the first two days of release.

After Crysis, I kind of swore off of $50 games, and kept to that rule, only buying UTIII for $12 (great investment for a great price) and Half-Life 1 for $1. I was kind of skeptical about getting this game, and when I learned there was no demo I must admit that I looked at my torrent site for a torrent. Didn't find one (somehow...), so I ended up getting the game anyways. Very good investment.

April 23, 2009 5:56:11 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Another problem with pirating-as-a-demo is that if you've never played the legitimate game, how do you know your pirated copy is even the same game? What if something has been changed either intentionally or unintentionally that makes it different?

Also, do you have no worries about installing trojans? You do realize that just because the game 'works' doesn't mean you haven't contracted the PC equivalent of syphilis...?

April 23, 2009 6:10:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Piracy is when people rob ships, not when they distribute copies of software.

How much "loss" is there from copying software?  Most people who download it wouldn't be buying it anyway.  No probable sale, no loss.  It's like people thinking that by banning guns, you can keep society safer; Criminals will not obey gun laws and will get guns anyway.

It costs a lot of money developing copy protection schemes that will be easily broken anyway.  What about that loss?  It's like the time Sony Music spent like a billion dollars developing a copy protection for their CDs and some guy figured out it could be broken with a 79-cent Sharpie pen by blacking out an area on the bottom of the disc.  Oops!

I have purchased thousands of dollars worth of games, the majority of which were pieces of crap and I was stuck with them.  Some companies even go as far as to say you can't RESELL your only original game that you purchased.  That is really sad.

I bought Demigod during pre-release.  I've only played it once for a short time and so far, I'm not terribly thrilled.  Seems like a capture-the-flag game.  But I'm not giving up on it yet.  I know sometimes I have to get more experienced in a game to "get it".  It was that way with Supreme Commander, which I love now (and I bought it too).

I've downloaded many a "pirate" version of a game.  Usually they end up being deleted very quickly.  When I like them, I usually buy them.  I had Battlefield 1942 when it first came out, but I still purchased two copies of it, plus one of the expansion packs.

Each to his own, but I contend a company with a great product will make money.  Those who produce crap will lose in the long run.

April 23, 2009 6:12:28 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting jochance,
Another problem with pirating-as-a-demo is that if you've never played the legitimate game, how do you know your pirated copy is even the same game? What if something has been changed either intentionally or unintentionally that makes it different?

Intentionally is usually found very fast and is flag as such. Unintentionally usually never happens maybe .001% after been distributed and if it does its usually fixed pretty quickly and redistributed.

Quoting jochance,
Also, do you have no worries about installing trojans? You do realize that just because the game 'works' doesn't mean you haven't contracted the PC equivalent of syphilis...?

For those that know software and hardware pretty well, trojans, spyware, etc.. are meaningless. They are just software placed on your machine to be malicious and can be removed (sometimes not as easily as contracted), but I have never had a malicious software that I could not remove from my machine in less than 4 hrs. 4hrs is only the most extreme case and only happened once, most are removed within 5 minutes and thats only if the virus checker missed it. 95% of the time a good virus checker will stop a threat.

April 23, 2009 6:27:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

and in 100% of the cases a good desktop firewall will stop the program from connecting to the internet without you knowing @_@

and in 100% if the cases windows vista will not let a program that has no admin rights do shit

April 23, 2009 6:40:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I have no faith in windows firewall or windows vista

April 24, 2009 9:15:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Sinzer,
I guess part of the irony is, is that there are few people in this world who have never stole anything.

I support companies like Stardock, but you have to be realistic and be aware that pirates exist. I think they have the right attitude, not to punish the honest customers with crazy restrictive systems. Most people will purchase products, if they are priced correctly and are of the right quality.

Some people will always just steal.

That's exactly the issue.

Pirates have been utilizing high cost and DRM as an excuse for pirating music for quite a while. Now you have iTunes (whether or not you love or hate Apple) providing music for $1 a piece and now WITHOUT DRM. What's the argument now? 

A game like Demigod, set at $40 including VAT => 220kr (Danish Crowns); the cost here is usually 400-500kr for a game from a physical or internet store. I find Demigod to be quite the bargain, really. If I take my better haft to a semi decent restaurant, I'd easily throw twice the cost of Demigod away on the bill => $40 really should be affordable for EVERYONE. So stop the moaning and groaning, and start paying for the products you want.

April 24, 2009 11:01:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I will if they're good, fellow Dane. Which is why I bought myself to poverty this month with DoD Source, Left4Dead and Demigod. Plus a good handful of great PS3 games.

As for the pricetags and comparisons, you're totally right. But in America you can get a great meal at a semi-fancy rat-and-roach-free restaurant for ~$40, so this comparison only seats well in Europe.

Only young people who've recently got themselves a good job, and pay no rent, will buy a game for 4-500kr. Us mortals wait that extra month so it's 250-350kr or until one of the online stores have a sale. I like the idea Steam used for L4D. A one-week-sale at half price, not long after retail. Brilliant way to give their community a boost to begin with.

April 24, 2009 11:34:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Renevent,
What a sad thing to see...I can't believe what I am reading in this thread.

Not sad for stardock as it shows that they are getting extra customers.

I preordered my copy about 1 week before release. Then I downloaded the pirate version because it came out before the release date. Even though I have paid for the Impulse version I am still playing the pirate version offline. I am still playing the pirate version because i don't want to redownload the proper version.

April 24, 2009 11:44:10 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting clownkill,

Quoting Renevent, reply 8What a sad thing to see...I can't believe what I am reading in this thread.

Not sad for stardock as it shows that they are getting extra customers.

I preordered my copy about 1 week before release. Then I downloaded the pirate version because it came out before the release date. Even though I have paid for the Impulse version I am still playing the pirate version offline. I am still playing the pirate version because i don't want to redownload the proper version.

The reduced scores given by major reviewers caused by 100,000+ cheapskates probably lost them even more.

Or we can live in fantasy land and pretend pirates are actually benefiting the game...

April 24, 2009 11:46:40 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting nosferat1,
I was forced to download the copy.By the way not"pirate" but download.You"pirate" a game when you crack the game,otherwise you download it...learn the difference,cause there actually is one

You were 'forced'? Did you download it at gunpoint? Somebody had your sister kidnapped and wouldn't return her until you downloaded Demigod? Holy crap! NO. You were NOT 'forced'.

Cracking the game and downloading the cracked game ALL fall under piracy. There is no difference just because you say there is.

Quoting nosferat1,
I do not feel guilty in any way,since this is how i've done with all my games that i currently own. 

Demigod for me is a nice game,and i would love to buy it...but how,via pay/download? No thank you.I am old fashioned.I want the cd/dvd,the case,some manual and a poster,or some extra stuff.I hate steam and i hate anything that is even related to that,meaning pay to download.That i could do for free,just start a torrent and download.If i pay for something,i want to know that it was actually worth the price.That is why every game needs to be tested first.

So let me get this straight. You're old fashioned so you want the CD/DVD, the manual, and other stuff. AND YET YOU DOWNLOAD ALL YOUR GAMES THAT YOU CURRENTLY OWN?

You are so full of epic fail it's ridiculous.

April 24, 2009 11:57:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I know i know,but my epic failness does not beat your epicness in being full of shit.

Cracking the game and downloading the game are two different things,but how can a low brain blockhead like you even grasp that?

I download my games before i buy them,i am not some rich spoiled brat like you.I can not afford to buy every game just by a review,or a video view.

Unfortunatelly you prooved to me one thing.Narrowmindedness,unenlightenedness,dimbwitedness  will never let you understand my reasons.

That is why i will not continue arguing with you,since you lack some iq power for that.Maybe when you will get past the mental age of 13,we will continue this.

Oh and by the way,as seen in the picture,i do pay for the games that i download.And that brings me to the conclusion that your argument is just not valid,ergo...you're just full of it

April 24, 2009 12:03:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

"i am not some rich spoiled brat like you"

Of course you weren't speaking to me, but just thought I'd throw this out there...just because a person can pay for thier games doesn't make them rich spoiled brat.  You know...they might actually work and save up money and EARN their money.

"Unfortunatelly you prooved to me one thing.Narrowmindedness,unenlightenedness,dimbwitedness  will never let you understand my reasons."

I think you just let us on to understand *why* you can't afford to buy games

April 24, 2009 12:14:06 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting nosferat1,
Cracking the game and downloading the game are two different things,but how can a low brain blockhead like you even grasp that?

Agreed. They are 2 different acts. However, AS I SAID, they BOTH fall under piracy in the context of your post.

Quoting nosferat1,
I download my games before i buy them,i am not some rich spoiled brat like you.I can not afford to buy every game just by a review,or a video view.

But why? You're old fashioned. You can't be bothered with downloading because you want the CD/DVD, the manual, and other stuff. You said yourself, you would love to buy Demigod if only you could get your hands on the CD/DVD, etc. But you aren't going to do it if you have to PAY and download. That's why you were FORCED to download the pirated copy. Also, apparently you can't afford to buy ANY game since all the games you currently own are downloaded pirate copies according to your own statements.

Quoting nosferat1,
Unfortunatelly you prooved to me one thing.Narrowmindedness,unenlightenedness,dimbwitedness  will never let you understand my reasons.

Learn how to spell after you're done failing at life.

April 24, 2009 12:17:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Renevent,
"i am not some rich spoiled brat like you"

Of course you weren't speaking to me, but just thought I'd throw this out there...just because a person can pay for thier games doesn't make them rich spoiled brat.  You know...they might actually work and save up money and EARN their money.

"Unfortunatelly you prooved to me one thing.Narrowmindedness,unenlightenedness,dimbwitedness  will never let you understand my reasons."

I think you just let us on to understand *why* you can't afford to buy games

How nice of you to autoinvite yourself into the conversation.Self importance getting to you lately?This is just what i meant by "spoiled brat"

April 24, 2009 12:18:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The reduced scores given by major reviewers caused by 100,000+ cheapskates probably lost them even more.

How can this be the reason for bad reviews. Its been what a 1 or 2 weeks now after release of 2 patches and multiplayer is still not working correctly...

Nice to blame pirates, for a product that should not have been released in this state.. There is obvious problems with connection routines or just a bad toolkit integration for network play. And it was already admited that they threw the new network engine in at the last minute. There are ways of testing these things, before thowing it out the door.

But on a side note I have perfect confidence in stardock to fix these issues. They have never let us down before. This is just a bad start of a product that can be amazing once things are fixed up, but I do wish we had more bang for the buck for what was released. And if you want to call me a pirate go ahead I did download the game, but I also pre-ordered this game a couple of weeks before it was released.

April 24, 2009 12:29:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lets make it clear once and for all
TO COPY something its not the same as STEALING something!!!
someone here gave an example with a car that he "stole because he wanted to buy it later"
the truth is that its like you bring a spacial tool, place it near the car for it to scan the car
and then this spacial tool poops out a car just like the one it scaned

Other commonly used excemple is the "you wont steal a disk from a shop, so dont steal it online" WTF?

So dose it mean you stole the car? NO THE CAR IS STILL THERE! ALL NEW AND SHINY AND ORIGINAL!!!
but u got a nice copy and you didnt payed 1 cent for it as the tool is free (i.e uTorrent)

SO DOWNLOADING A GAME IS NOT THEFT!
and that is why law have hard time fighting pirates! because in fact they dont do anything illigal!

Illigal copys of games online come in fact from a modefied original disk that was hacked and uploaded
the guy that hacked it usually BOUGHT it as he got no other places to get it from (usually...)
so he have the full right to for the game, but the law says that he cant sell or do anything except playing it
BUT this hacker MODEFIES the code, therfore it is no longer DEMIGOD but a game "smilar" to it as the code was changed.
i know its wierd but thats how the law works, and there are no spacial rights reserved on every singel word
in the games code, only on the code as a whole!

Now some people may say "modefieing the game core is illigal"
well, its not... basicly yes buy practicly its ok. why? one word - mods!
new sound tracks, models, designes, all come to add better experiance to the game
yet the corporations dont githt them, why? because a good mod for a game = more sales for the game
hacking the game so that it will work without the disk is same as making a mod for it (practicly)
but because the corporations dont like it, they cry out loud to the press for how poor they are
(remember we are talking about a multi million corporation where 1 meneger get sellary
high enough to feed african town for a year)

So... not only that i dont feel bed, i dont even see why i should feel bad at all!

P.S: sorry for the lame english, hope u got my point!

April 24, 2009 12:35:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Charvel1,

Quoting nosferat1, reply 12Cracking the game and downloading the game are two different things,but how can a low brain blockhead like you even grasp that?
Agreed. They are 2 different acts. However, AS I SAID, they BOTH fall under piracy in the context of your post.

Quoting nosferat1, reply 12I download my games before i buy them,i am not some rich spoiled brat like you.I can not afford to buy every game just by a review,or a video view.
But why? You're old fashioned. You can't be bothered with downloading because you want the CD/DVD, the manual, and other stuff. You said yourself, you would love to buy Demigod if only you could get your hands on the CD/DVD, etc. But you aren't going to do it if you have to PAY and download. That's why you were FORCED to download the pirated copy. Also, apparently you can't afford to buy ANY game since all the games you currently own are downloaded pirate copies according to your own statements.

Quoting nosferat1, reply 12Unfortunatelly you prooved to me one thing.Narrowmindedness,unenlightenedness,dimbwitedness  will never let you understand my reasons.
Learn how to spell after you're done failing at life.

Kid,firstly go ask your dad a thing or two about life,after you learned something,then make accusations of me failing at it.I can easily deduct by your hasty and frustrated writing that you have no idea about life,or anything for that matter.

Secondly..you are still full of it i just wanted to mention that in case you forgot

Please let us end this before it gets bad.Don't want to start an actual flame war here

April 24, 2009 12:36:29 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well Demigod3k is actually right about steal/copy thing. Copying means someone wont get their money, but technically - nothing is stolen. I never bought a single game before d/l'ing it from torrents and trying it first (well, actually, i just lied to you. I bought King's Bounty and Demigod right away:)). I dont trust demo's. I'm not stealing anything - coz if i dont like the game - i wont either play it or buy it. So publisher get zero money anyway, i dont get the game and NOTHING is stolen in the process. Noone is hurt.

Copy != Steal.

April 24, 2009 12:36:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Demigod3k I 100% agree with you, but in my post I was trying to get the idea out of ppls heads that pirates were the cause of the bad reviews. After reading that I was practically laughing out of my chair considering the state of the game.

April 24, 2009 12:40:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've downloaded pirate version primarily and now me and 2 of my friends have bought the game...

April 24, 2009 12:46:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

and that is why law have hard time fighting pirates! because in fact they dont do anything illigal!

Copyright infringement is illegal. Cracking a game (which in itself is illegal in many countries) does not add any notable creative expression to it and thus does not constitute a derivative work.

On top of that, a derivative work does not negate the original owner's copyright on the source work to begin with, and (in the US) it is up to the original author to permit or deny (as pretty much all non-OSS software does) the creation of such derivative works.

At the end of the day, pirating a game amounts to taking a luxury good which you have zero right to without paying for it. No amount of excuses about "evil corporations" will change the fact that you're the one being greedy. If you can't afford it or cannot do enough pre-purchase research to satisfy yourself that it will be a good buy, do without. It's that simple.

April 24, 2009 12:48:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[

Quoting Demigod3k,
someone here gave an example with a car that he "stole because he wanted to buy it later"
the truth is that its like you bring a spacial tool, place it near the car for it to scan the car
and then this spacial tool poops out a car just like the one it scaned

Other commonly used excemple is the "you wont steal a disk from a shop, so dont steal it online" WTF?

So dose it mean you stole the car? NO THE CAR IS STILL THERE! ALL NEW AND SHINY AND ORIGINAL!!!
but u got a nice copy and you didnt payed 1 cent for it as the tool is free (i.e uTorrent)

how about I'll just copy down your SSN, you'll still have it, all nice and shiny, and I can then use it for whatever I want. 

The thing with taking something that is the property of another does not mean you physically have to take it, I can copy down the answers to someone elses test next to me, and I am cheating because in essence, I am stealing that persons intellectual property.  They still have it, but I am using it when I shouldn't be.

I understand the allure of pirating games, its so much easier to get something and not have to give anything in return.  The problem is if a pirate keeps getting something and not giving anything, eventually the developers will stop giving, because they have not gotten anything for all of their hard work.

April 24, 2009 1:04:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting nosferat1,
Kid,firstly go ask your dad a thing or two about life,after you learned something,then make accusations of me failing at it.I can easily deduct by your hasty and frustrated writing that you have no idea about life,or anything for that matter.

Secondly..you are still full of it i just wanted to mention that in case you forgot

Please let us end this before it gets bad.Don't want to start an actual flame war here

You're amazing! In both of my posts i schooled you on how your statements were contradictory and unjustifiable and yet both times you latch onto the derivative remarks I made about you and respond to only those. Then you top it off by labeling my posts as 'hasty', 'frustrated', and that I'm 'full of it'. Don't you have anything even remotely intelligent to say about why you were somehow forced to download the pirated version of Demigod and that you would love to buy it if only they made the CD/DVD available?

I'm guessing not since your only defense mechanism is to call names and berate anyone who opposes your idiotic statements.

Demigod3k

In the context of this discussion, YES it is.

April 24, 2009 1:20:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ok you want to play smart lets play smart...
Copy - digital data transfrade by electronic pulses and then stored in a diffrent location

the storage is usally refared to a hard drive, but the law dont explain it so lets change it to "brain"

I hear a music over at my freands house, i memorise it, do i steal it? everyone will say no..
but if a day after that ill make a show and i will sing it, the next day ill recive a 10 million bill for braking copy rights.
Same as if ill hear a singer while he record a CD (before the release) and then sing it myself on my private radio station.

So as you can see, as long as the corporation dont loose an open window for a fat income, they dont mind
you can memorise it as much as you want (in other words you can copy and store it as much as you want)

that was hearing

Now sight: the demigod box, its designe, graphics, pictures, and name, are all under copy rights
the copy rights say that you are not allwed to copy it (as it is theft)
but by looking at it you infact copying it and store it in your memory
as long as it stays there no one cares
but if you go back to the music excample, like if you knew the name "demigod" before the games release
and then you released your own game with this name, and same designe, then you are accused of theft...

again, no one cares as long as the corporation didnt lost an open window for a fat income

Another fact: words and letters by themselfs are not copy righted
so if i am a games proggramer, i can tear appart the games engine
to change few things so that it will not look like demigod
then to repatch it into a whole new game and release it free online
as long as no one will think it was demigod, no one will care
on the second someone will see it in fact got too much similar code lines with demigod
then demigod developers will hunt me down and kill me not phisicly but with multi million bills...
or as i say, a legal murder by those who have money...

Ahh i could go on and on, just got tired...
bottom line, you cant beat pirace, the law is based on material (cars... other crap...)
you cant STEAL something that is not based on material (can you steal my sexual phantasy? )
you can steal colors, u cant steal lights... (unless you one of those fighting on the beach over sun)
and you cant steal digital information! you can steal a CD though
digital information is electronic impulses stored on your HD, electrons.. stored on magnetic plate...
and unless you can mark little "e" on those electrons, you cant say they are yours...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000657   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.