The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Solution: Demigod won't launch!

By on April 11, 2009 11:07:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1482

We have identified a case where Demigod won't launch.

The Logitech QuickCam seems to prevent Demigod from launching. We don't know why. Disable the tray item and it should work fine.

Edit: It may also be necessary to close the lvprcinj process via Task Manager (press Ctrl+Shift+Esc and look on the processes tab).

Pinned, Locked Post 74 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 19, 2009 1:03:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Tried everything above. I've had the game run exactly once, seemingly randomly with over 100 attempts to get it to launch. The only time it ran was by clicking the .exe in the bin folder, however that only worked once. it isn't just a logitech cam issue and that is for sure. It would be great to see some kind of update from tech support.

April 19, 2009 1:05:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

April 20, 2009 11:07:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I take back what I said earlier about other applications being the problem. At this point I am not sure what I turned off to get it to work the ONE time that it has so far. I wish I could get a refund because this game will not work for me at all even though I meet the system requirements easily. I'm sure it's a fun game, but I have tried to play it 45 times now and have been successful once. I guess I'll try back when another patch is out that might solve the problem. Bummer I had to spend money to find out it won't even work.

April 21, 2009 7:29:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just bought a hard copy of this, and it won't even read the disk. It sits there for a while and then claims the disk is blank. This happens for mine, and for the Demigod disk my roomie bought. Any way around that one?

Side note, other disks work fine, and it installed and runs fine on my roomie's computer.

April 21, 2009 8:38:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One of the guys mentioned in these forums that uninstalling Google Desktop did the trick to get Demigod to launch. In particular, it's the following dll loaded in the registry upon Windows startup:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]

"Appinit_Dlls"="AVGRSSTX.DLL WBSYS.DLL C:\\PROGRA~1\\GOOGLE\\GOOGLE~1\\GOEC62~1.DLL"

Notice how this registry key can contain multiple DLLs for different applications, all within the same reg value, separated by spaces. On my system, the first DLL belongs to AVG antivuris, the second to WindowBlinds, and the third to Google Desktop.

By removing the reference to the Google DLL (i.e. the highlighted part above) and rebooting, Demigod launches 100% of the time. That basically means I have to edit the registry, remove the DLL reference, and reboot to play Demigod. When I'm done, I have to add it back in and reboot so Google Desktop works again. While this is inconvenient, it's better than permanently uninstalling Google Desktop, which I happen to like.

This actually isn't bad for me, because I have a special gaming configuration (a set of reg files) that I run then reboot before playing heavy games anyway.

April 23, 2009 2:18:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't know if this is helpful for anyone, but this is what solve the launch problem under Vista for me.

Just start the demigod.exe in the WinXP compatiblity mode. It is to simple to be true, but that solved it for me.

April 23, 2009 8:53:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don't have a logitch quickcam but it still won't launch. 

I paid for a game that won't even work....

April 24, 2009 1:15:05 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

With the latest update to Demigod you should now find a DemigodStub.exe file in your Demigod\bin directory.  Try using this to launch Demigod instead of Demigod.exe or a shortcut (you can make a shortcut to the stub.exe).  This should prevent any applications that may be interfering with Demigod from loading .dlls into the demigod.exe process and hopefully solve some of these issues.

If this does not help, please e-mail [email protected] so we can get more info from you.

April 24, 2009 2:49:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This stub file didn't help.  Only way i've found to consistently launch the game is to make a short cut somewhere, highlight it, and hold down enter (effectively trying to launch it hundreds of times in a row) and then letting go as soon as I see the launch splash screen.   Stub file just does hourglass, then nada.

April 29, 2009 7:49:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The DemigodStub.exe file didn't help me either. Still starts if i have patience spamming shortcut. The DemigodStub.exe doesn't work for my mate either, nor does spamming or any other reasonable suggestion fielded. C'mon Stardock, please don't let us down on another potentially brilliant game!!

April 29, 2009 11:24:34 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

For anyone getting the game to start with the "spamming" trick, can you please submit a ticket to [email protected] with your DxDiag information and the output of this file:

http://sd.stardock.com/mike/apps/enumerate_startup.bat

Which should show up as a file called "startup.log" on your desktop.

Thanks

April 30, 2009 7:18:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I also posted this solution on thread, https://forums.demigodthegame.com/346146 but I didn't go into any real detail about why it works there.

We didn't have the Comodo Firewall but we did have the Logitech QuickCam thing.  We had disabled it in msconfig in all the places that it showed up but we still had to spam the shortcut to get it to work.  In fact, we got it working with the imagecfg fix listed in the above thread I mentioned but that forced the game to work on 1 core (of 4) and when things got busy the game was a slideshow.

With the fix mentioned below we could restore the game to 4 cores of functionality and not have to worry about spamming the shortcut.

All you have to do is make a batch file, we called it demigod.bat.  This batch file kills 2 Logitech processes that seem to escape being mscofig'd and then starts the game. The text of the batch file is below, copy it verbatim and launch the game.  It works flawlessly for us.  If you don't want to make a batch file you can open the task manager and kill the two processes listed in the script below but it's annoying to do that every time you want to play - hence the batch file.

Try it and please let me know how it works!

Title Demigod
@ECHO OFF
cls
color 0C
cls
@ECHO OFF
echo            *****************************************
echo            *       DO NOT CLOSE THIS WINDOW        *
echo            *                                       *
echo            *        Demigod is now loading         *   
echo            *****************************************

@ECHO Off

taskkill /f /fi "IMAGENAME eq LVPrcSrv.exe"

taskkill /f /fi "IMAGENAME eq LVComSer.exe"

ping 1.0.0.0 -n 1 -w 5000>nul

cd "C:\program files\stardock games\demigod\bin"

demigod.exe

April 30, 2009 11:23:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I uninstalled all of my Google software such as Google Desktop and Google Earth and I haven't had any problems since.

April 30, 2009 11:27:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Neflyte's method worked for me. I didnt create a batch file, but stopping those tasks in the task manager proved to help.

May 1, 2009 6:46:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was told by Stardock support that I would have to completely uninstall Comodo to get the game to work.  Since that's just completely ridiculous, and because I don't intend to leave my system without that protection, I ended up asking for a refund instead. 

To Stardock's credit, they processed it the very next day and it should go through soon.  That's a lot better than you'd get from most game publishers.  I still think it's crazy that this game can't run when Comodo is installed, even when it's disabled, yet the dozens of other games I have will run fine.  I'd love to hear an explanation for that.

May 2, 2009 1:30:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Cheers to Michael and the Stardock team. Uninstalling Comodo worked perfectly. And upon re-installing Comodo(with Defense+) it still works. 

Now to check with my mate and see if Avast causes the same problem for him. He doesn't have any Logitech products or Comodo installed. Hopefully uninstalling then reinstalling does!!

May 5, 2009 5:07:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I was told by Stardock support that I would have to completely uninstall Comodo to get the game to work. Since that's just completely ridiculous, and because I don't intend to leave my system without that protection, I ended up asking for a refund instead.

To Stardock's credit, they processed it the very next day and it should go through soon. That's a lot better than you'd get from most game publishers. I still think it's crazy that this game can't run when Comodo is installed, even when it's disabled, yet the dozens of other games I have will run fine. I'd love to hear an explanation for that.

From what's been reported to us this is an issue with older versions of Comodo, and the latest and greatest versions do not have the same issue.

Uninstalling Comodo worked perfectly. And upon re-installing Comodo(with Defense+) it still works.

^ Like that.

May 5, 2009 9:49:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My friend experinced the same thing with his laptop, what he did is using a screw driver to take the camera off off his laptop while it's still on. And it suddenly make Demigod launch!!!

May 10, 2009 1:54:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[SOLVED] As per comments in another thread, I uninstalled Google Desktop (no reboot) and it now works fine.

May 17, 2009 5:26:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting bmac2,
One of the guys mentioned in these forums that uninstalling Google Desktop did the trick to get Demigod to launch. In particular, it's the following dll loaded in the registry upon Windows startup:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]

"Appinit_Dlls"="AVGRSSTX.DLL WBSYS.DLL C:\\PROGRA~1\\GOOGLE\\GOOGLE~1\\GOEC62~1.DLL"

Notice how this registry key can contain multiple DLLs for different applications, all within the same reg value, separated by spaces. On my system, the first DLL belongs to AVG antivuris, the second to WindowBlinds, and the third to Google Desktop.

By removing the reference to the Google DLL (i.e. the highlighted part above) and rebooting, Demigod launches 100% of the time. That basically means I have to edit the registry, remove the DLL reference, and reboot to play Demigod. When I'm done, I have to add it back in and reboot so Google Desktop works again. While this is inconvenient, it's better than permanently uninstalling Google Desktop, which I happen to like.

This actually isn't bad for me, because I have a special gaming configuration (a set of reg files) that I run then reboot before playing heavy games anyway.

Thought I had to respond. This got Demigod working along with SupCom:FA which I couldn't get working for months. Needless to say, you are my hero. Thank you!

May 19, 2009 8:04:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i've tried everything in this thread and others, this is what i get.   I'm able to just barely start up the game, select single player, change my demigod, then boom, this pops up. every time.

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at address 0x0044e85c
    attempted to read memory at 0x00000000

Program : C:\Program Files\Stardock Games\Demigod\bin\Demigod.exe
Cmd line arguments :

Callstack:
 Unknown symbol (address 0x0044e85c)

Last 100 lines of log...

A full record of the log is stored in the Demigodlog.txt file

debug: Loading module '\000/lua/ui/menus/sptournamentnew/sptournamentnew.lua\000'
warning: Error opening movie
debug: Loading module '\000/lua/ui/menus/sptournamentsub/sptournamentsub.lua\000'
info: *DEBUG: OnHide: \000false
info: *DEBUG: OnHide: \000true
info: MUSIC : Activating cue [Main_Menu]
info: MUSIC : Activating cue [Main_Menu]
info: *DEBUG: OnHide: \000false
debug: Loading module '\000/lua/ui/lobby/lobby.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/lua/ui/lobby/lobbybase.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/lua/mods.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/lua/ui/dialogs/modmanager.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/lua/gamecolors.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/lua/ui/lobby/lobbyoptions.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/lua/ui/dialogs/dialog_connecting.lua\000'
info: Creating connector on port 6073
info: LOBBY: Game port 6073[UDP] opened.
info: LOBBY: Listening for discovery requests on port 15000
info: LOBBY: assigning ourselves the uid of 0
debug: Loading module '\000/lua/ui/controls/mappreview.lua\000'
info: Setting audio parameter 'UI_Not_Frontend' to value '1.000000'
info: MUSIC : Activating cue [Lobby]
debug: Loading module '\000/lua/ui/waitanim.lua\000'
info: Unable to find ScenarioFile
info: Game Type:conquest
info: Starting background task "Map loader /maps/map05/map05.scmap"
info: Background task "Map loader /maps/map05/map05.scmap" running.
info: Active game mods for blueprint loading: \000{ }
info: Loading blueprints...
debug: Loading module '\000/lua/ui/lobby/heroselect.lua\000'
warning: Error opening movie
info: Registering blueprints...
info: Can't add chat text # no chat display
info: text="Cully426 has chosen The Rook."
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/angel/angel_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/archer/archer_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/archer/archer_movie_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/bird/bird_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/ent/ent_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/flag/flag_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/giant/giant_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/giant/giant_r_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/highpriest/highpriest02_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/highpriest/highpriest03_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/highpriest/highpriest04_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/highpriest/highpriest_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/king/king_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/leopard_rider/leopard_rider_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/mage/mage_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/mage/magefire_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/minotaur/minotaur_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/minotaur/minotaur_movie1_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/minotaur/minotaur_movie2_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/minotaurcaptain/minotaurcaptain02_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/minotaurcaptain/minotaurcaptain03_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/minotaurcaptain/minotaurcaptain04_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/minotaurcaptain/minotaurcaptain_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/oak/oak_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/priest/priest_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/priest/priest_movie_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/queen/queen_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/queen/queen_open_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/queen/queen_open_movie_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/rook/rook_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/serpent/serpent_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/siegearcher/siegearcher02_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/siegearcher/siegearcher03_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/siegearcher/siegearcher04_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/siegearcher/siegearcher_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/sniper/sniper_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/sniper/sniperfury_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/spirit/spirit_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/trebuchet/hrooktreb_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/trebuchet/trebuchet_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/unclean_beast/unclean_beast_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/unclean_beast/unclean_beast_movie_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/vampire/vampire_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/vampire_lord/vampire_lord_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/waridol/waridol_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/whiptail/whiptail_character.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/characters/yeti/yeti_character.lua\000'
info: Preloading resources.
debug: Loading module '\000/lua/common/preload.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/lua/singleplayerlaunch.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/lua/ui/lobby/ainames.lua\000'
debug: Loading module '\000/lua/factions.lua\000'

May 19, 2009 10:42:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i've tried everything in this thread and others, this is what i get. I'm able to just barely start up the game, select single player, change my demigod, then boom, this pops up. every time.

If you're experiencing crashes (not the same as flat-out not starting), please contact [email protected] about it so they can gather any debug info from you that the devs will need to fix it.

May 22, 2009 12:04:07 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I've tried all of the above solutions, but the game will not launch at all.  I've reinstalled and updated the game numerous times.  Each time I verified the installations to be complete, but still no game launch.  I get a hourglass on my cursor for a second and then nothing.  Why doesn't the game launch properly like every other game I have installed on this comp?  I spent $40 on the game, so I would like to see it, and if at all possible, to play it without having to deal with launching errors.  Hell, at this point I'd love to at least see an error screen pop up each time.

May 23, 2009 2:25:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I am also unable to get the game to launch. Selecting Run from the Impulse App does absolutely nothing. Using the DemigodStub.exe and the DemigodLaunch files from the bin folder results in the Demigod process starting but it only ever lasts for 5 seconds before disappearing again.

I have shut down every other non-essential application I can, verified the install, made sure I am patched etc and it still fails.

This kind of trouble is a real deal-breaker  - please find a solution so it does what it says on the tin!

May 25, 2009 1:03:42 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, Impulse says I've played Demigod 13 times now, even though it hasn't launched once for me.  None of the solutions have worked at all. Not spamming either the game file or the stub, or disabling any programs Windows does need to run.  Can't there please be a patch or fix that lets the game launch normally without having to reprogram my computer or doing a thousand other task before the game will work?  If I knew before hand that I'd have this much trouble just getting the game to launch, I wouldn't have wasted $40 on it

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000703   Page Render Time: