The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

LAN with one CD?

By on April 9, 2009 4:55:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I haven't played the beta but I have been really getting interested in this game.  If I buy a retail copy of this game, will I be able to play it LAN with my friends with just one copy? We've been looking for a new LAN game to play and since Sins was so good LAN and allowed for one copy play I was hoping this would too. 

0 Karma | 47 Replies
April 13, 2009 5:04:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Red Alert 3 and Dawn of War 2 don't allow LAN co-op unless you have more than 1 copy.

But most other games that I know of allow it (although I'm not sure if it's technically legal).

Battle for middle earth 2 had working lan with one copy from what I remember.

Anyways, kudos to Stardock.

April 16, 2009 2:12:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This is, without a doubt, excellent. I've read the entire thread, but I cannot seem to find answers to a few of the questions asked.

I've purchased Demigod and want to share it with 9 other people at a LAN event. I'm in no way interested in having anyone besides me able to utilize the key for online play.

How do I manage this? Since the game can be started from outside of Impulse, my Impulse account cannot be what ties up the key. 

To make it short: Can I just copy my game directory to other computers and not worry about my account being used? Would LAN just work out-of-the-box, where it's a simple matter of starting the copied game and choosing LAN?

April 16, 2009 2:17:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

nope no slowdown for me, or any bugs for that matter

can't wait for MP to sort itself out tho.. but for now im happy with my Hamachi

April 16, 2009 3:13:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well i've the same problem.

User's manual, page 15 says:

LAN Games
Players can also play on their local area network (LAN). Demigod has no
restriction on licensed copies on the LAN so go ahead and have fun!

So the idea was to bring the game to our DoTA Lan and see if ppl like it. But if you copy the game (Download only version) to another computer it needs to be activated. Is it save/allowed to use my own key to activate them?

Seems the EULA, Manual and "NoCopyProtectionPolicy" seem to have a different opinion on that.

April 17, 2009 9:17:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

*Bump*

Is it possible to lend out your registered "copy" of Demigod without the risk of misuse of your account? Or is the "knock yourself out with LAN copies" solely meant as a household thing?, only for people, who you trust?

Or did I simply not comprehend how "LAN copies" function?

April 17, 2009 9:54:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No one can misuse your account if they don't know what it is. Installing Demigod for LAN purposes does not require anyone to log into your account to play, so as long as you don't give away your account info LAN/SP is the only thing they would be able to play.

April 17, 2009 10:48:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting BubbleCow,
Well i've the same problem.
So the idea was to bring the game to our DoTA Lan and see if ppl like it. But if you copy the game (Download only version) to another computer it needs to be activated. Is it save/allowed to use my own key to activate them?

Try using Impulse to archive the game, copy it to a DVD, make sure Impulse is on the other PCs, then unarchive/install the game from the DVD. My guess is if you do it that way you won't need your serial/cd key at all.

-HM

April 17, 2009 11:09:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Try using Impulse to archive the game, copy it to a DVD, make sure Impulse is on the other PCs, then unarchive/install the game from the DVD. My guess is if you do it that way you won't need your serial/cd key at all.
Exaclty true.

Yes.  Go ahead.

Please note that we do track activations and at some point if you share it with many people it will prompt you to contact Stardock support.

We want people to share.  We want people to buy.  We do not want to get in the way.  We do not want to be abused. 

April 17, 2009 12:06:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I find it rather amusing that some of the responses in this thread are like "Really? I can really install and play it on a LAN? That's not doing something wrong?"

People have been abused by software developers for so long that when one comes along that treats you the way you should be treated you just can't believe it's real.

April 17, 2009 8:44:22 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've got a small LAN party that's looking into doing Demigod as our next game.

Just to be clear on licensing:

I generally have five people and machines at a typical LAN party.

If I wanted five people to play on LAN, I would need three licenses of the game?

And....

If I wanted all five to be able to play online together, I would need five licenses of the game? (1 Impulse online account per license to bind them to?)

I think an authoritative sticky in the forums explaining the license policy for Demigod and other Impulse games might be a good idea, there's quite a bit of confusion going around about this.

April 17, 2009 9:34:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, Lan play redemed this game for me.  It's GREAT fun.  And it was easy; no hassles.   Three games so far, all went smooth with no dysinks or bugs.  Sadly (shockingly) no replays, so you better enjoy the game "while" it's happening, cause you can't watch the movie to see "what happened" during play.  Tip: Use the "Adjust Speed" option before you start a game, and then you can use the - & + keys to slow the game to a crawl when you need to tool-tip all the skills/spells/items (or explain the rules to new players).

April 17, 2009 9:41:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If I wanted five people to play on LAN, I would need three licenses of the game?
No. Your one license will handle all the players.  Make sure they uninstall after the party. 

If I wanted all five to be able to play online together, I would need five licenses of the game?
Yes.

April 20, 2009 8:24:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just wanted to express my gratitude to you, Stardock, for this kind of behaviour! The small LAN (10 people) I attended this saturday consisted mostly of FPS players, but after playing DG over LAN using my copy, 4 people installed Impulse and bought the game the same night, while 2 more would consider buying it later.

I know, I know; 4 people isn't alot, but it at least shows that the "openness" works.

Thanks for an excellent product and an even better way of distributing it. I used to make all my purchases through Steam, but if this is the approach you tend to work towards, I'd be sure to check, whether or not the game is available through Impulse first.

from a very satisfied customer

April 22, 2009 5:18:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the clear answers. I'll pick up my copy tonight....then we'll try it on LAN this weekend.

April 22, 2009 5:56:57 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Woo, sweet! Demigod just got added to this weekend's lan party agenda! 

April 22, 2009 6:39:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It's nice to hear that LAN play from one copy is officially supported.  Something that would facilitate that greatly would be having the patches downloadable as a standalone .exe, rather than having to use Impulse to do it.

Are these available somewhere?  If not, I can understand since that would make the pirate's life even easier, which is something that we don't want to do.

April 22, 2009 7:59:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, the patches are not available separately. But anyone who owns Demigod can download up to date install files from Impulse Anywhere:

http://anywhere.impulsedriven.com/

-HM

May 15, 2009 3:09:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi there,

I'm looking to introduce my roommates to DG via Lan. I read that you can just copy your DG folder to their computer and go from there. When we try to run the game on their PC it requires activation. This post indicates that it's ok to use my serial to get the games going, but my question is.... How do I find my serial??

Thanks

May 15, 2009 3:15:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Replied in the thread you made.

May 15, 2009 3:19:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Istari,
The game is very very LAN friendly. 1 copy could take care of a LAN.

This feature was actually meant for pirates.

And they all thank you.

May 15, 2009 4:49:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This feature was actually meant for pirates.

There is a smartass every where you go. 

May 15, 2009 6:13:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

P.15 of the manual;

LAN Games

Players can also play on their local area network (LAN).  Demigod has no restrictions on licensed copies on the LAN so ga ahead and have fun!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108436  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000609   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.