The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

SUPPORT: Solving Connectivity Problems

Tips and Tricks

By on April 6, 2009 2:58:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1484

Most PC games are client/server. That is, someone creates a game and others join that game. The data then goes from you to the host (the server) and then back to the other players.  Sins of a Solar Empire is client/server.

In Demigod, it is peer-to-peer. This was necessary because it needed to have the least amount of latency possible since your moves are directly sent to the other players rather than to a server first.  Because the action in Demigod focuses a great deal on Melee in the third person (i.e. players can see their hits) a lot of traditional methods to mask latency aren't possible. Peer-to-peer reduces the problem of "lag".

The downside of peer-to-peer is that everyone has to be able to connect to each other. In a client server game, many people have heard someone say "I can join games but I can't host them."  In a peer-to-peer game, everyone is technically a host thus greatly increasing the challenge of connecting players.

The solution developed is known as CVP NAT, a new feature of Stardock's Impulse Reactor development library.

So what problems can people have?  Below are the most common issues:

1. Windows may fail to create a local socket. There's a million reasons for this unfortunately and your options are to try to rejoin a game or try hosting the game instead. It's not terribly common but feels very common when it happens to you. It will be more common if you have an older router as we have learned that older consumer routers are more likely to be problematic when opening sockets.

2. Your ISP is sending your messages with different IP addresses. This is common in Europe where people have DSL lines that have multiple IP and the router picks and chooses which IP to send things.  It can also happen for people who have multiple Internet connections going.  For instance, I have a Verizon 3G Internet connectiont that's always on. I also have a Comcast line on.  If I'm trying to play a game, turning one of these connections off will likely help.  At Stardock, we have a thornier issue -- we have 2 comcast lines in which our router picks the one with the most available bandwidth to send out a particular packet.  CVP NAT has been designed to deal with a lot of oddball issues like this but it's not infallible.

3. Firewall. If youre firewall is blocking TCP or UDP packets, you won't be able to connect.

4. Windows failed to configure a local socket.  This is another one of those annoying issues that can come up. It's similar to item #1.  The best way to reduce these kinds of problems is to use Skirmish or the Pantheon.  The "Custom Game" setup in Demigod is the most likely case this will come up since it requires multiple sockets to properly connect players.
TIP:
If you know what you're doing (and only if you know what you're doing) you can load a program that's in the bin directory of Demigod called ImpulseReactorOptions, set up the options there and then seperately go to your router and make sure those ports are port forwarding to the right machine.

To learn how to port forward, see this website: http://www.portforward.com/

To learn more about what ports to open see this document provided by the Monk (THANKS MONK!)

http://themonk.ca/Monk/Networking_and_DEMIGOD.pdf

Pinned, Locked Post 331 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 8, 2009 4:00:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Not to play the devil's advocate here....  

but..

since more and more ISP's are filtering for, assigning lower traffic priority and in some cases outright dropping P2P-like connections (we all know the reasons why) would it be fair to say some connectivity issues may turn out to be the fault of one's ISP?  In which case there may not be a whole lot anyone can do about the issue.  

In my experiences with doing community networking support for a game called World in Conflict, the issue did in many cases (seemed most often in the UK) come down the user's ISP filtering the traffic for P2P connections and playing havoc with such.

April 8, 2009 5:19:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting the_Monk,
Not to play the devil's advocate here....  

but..

since more and more ISP's are filtering for, assigning lower traffic priority and in some cases outright dropping P2P-like connections (we all know the reasons why) would it be fair to say some connectivity issues may turn out to be the fault of one's ISP?  In which case there may not be a whole lot anyone can do about the issue.  

In my experiences with doing community networking support for a game called World in Conflict, the issue did in many cases (seemed most often in the UK) come down the user's ISP filtering the traffic for P2P connections and playing havoc with such.

I want to pretend I didn't just read that.

April 8, 2009 7:20:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I really didn't mean to upset......honest!     

You guys are doing such a phenomenal job and I'm thrilled to be a part of your community.

In all of my testing of Demigod so far.....I haven't had one single connection-related issue Brad, so I'd say you guys are way ahead of the curve.

As I said, I was just playing the devil's advocate for a minute..... (as I am sometimes want to do...hehe)

April 8, 2009 8:12:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes this peer to peer thing would be good granted there is an auto reconnect when some one gets unexpectedly disconnected. An auto-reconnect would be a very good feature to have.

April 8, 2009 9:52:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

since more and more ISP's are filtering for, assigning lower traffic priority and in some cases outright dropping P2P-like connections (we all know the reasons why) would it be fair to say some connectivity issues may turn out to be the fault of one's ISP? In which case there may not be a whole lot anyone can do about the issue.

Yes.  In some cases it may only be certain modems or firmware versions from the ISP that are problematic.  If you suspect that the problem may be with your modem or router, Google the brand and model of the modem or router and see if other people are having similar problems.

April 10, 2009 2:28:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We love you, Monk! 

April 13, 2009 9:24:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What ports do this game use?

I didnt get the whole NAT thing? So if im behind a NAT router which i am. The game will tell the people i try and connect to im on from my LAN IP 192.168.0.xxx something when im really not? I do have a Fixed WAN side IP from my ISP.

April 13, 2009 9:36:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ,

Windows may fail to create a local socket. There's a million reasons for this unfortunately and your options are to try to rejoin a game or try hosting the game instead. It's not terribly common but feels very common when it happens to you. It will be more common if you have an older router as we have learned that older consumer routers are more likely to be problematic when opening sockets.

What do you mean by an 'older' router? I have a 2 year old linksys wireless N and I can't connect at all. 9 times out of 10 or more I get "attempt to join game failed". Its even more frustrating because it takes 20 seconds for that message to appear and another 3 to allow me to close it completely. Neither # 2 or 3 apply to me so its definately #1 or 4 thats screwing me up, but thats a shame because this is unplayable.

April 13, 2009 9:49:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i unpluged my router and i still cant join a single game, few times i get past the failed msg i get stuck and please wait.

Hosted my own game and over the corse of 25m only 2 people joined thats it, for a game built around MP they sure did drop the ball big time on making so people could play it.

Now i am hoping this is just because things are not ready yet and by tmw all these problems will be gone.

April 13, 2009 10:17:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting the_Monk,

oh a sad truth.   My ISP has been talking about it, and I'v been supporting the action AGAINST them putting 'priorities' on connection types.   I know one of my alternatives ISPs does (we have 3 providers here I can pick, 2 cable companies and 1 DSL)

Its a sad truth.   If we don't speak out against ISPs trying to lock-down or internet by rallying in support of free internet movements, then we may find a day that we can only even play games on really expensive 'gamer' ISP accounts if even that.

April 14, 2009 1:00:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Following is a link to the DEMIGOD version of my networking setup guide:

Networking_and_DEMIGOD.pdf

(http://themonk.ca/Monk/Networking_and_DEMIGOD.pdf )

I'll revise it as needed...

April 14, 2009 1:33:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting the_Monk,

That is awesome. One other thing: Make sure you run impulsereactoroptions.exe in the bin directory to have it use the ports you open. That will drastically improve connectivity for most people.

April 14, 2009 8:05:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting the_Monk,

(if only it worked...)

edit: now it works... yay!

April 14, 2009 8:22:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Nope tried all that and still cant get nothing to work, really starting to get ticked off over this matter.

April 14, 2009 8:35:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I hate my ISP...

The game also tends to freeze or get exception errors when i try to connect to someone.

April 14, 2009 9:26:11 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's really a mess... how do i know if my connection is the bad one? Because i can connect to some people...

April 14, 2009 9:31:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yup datKillJoy i totally agree with you its really hard to pin point the issue even after the ports are opened, what i dont understand is what to do with the impulsereactoroptions thingy.

April 14, 2009 9:42:46 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another problem is... I can join some games but not every game... is this a bad sign or not?

April 14, 2009 9:47:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Basically the challenge is the custom game interface.

There's an extra step of complexity with sockets in connecting to the custom game dialog that we're looking to address further in udpates.

The issue is that many routers have security features look for TCP/UDP "attacks" and determine that Demigod's lobby is such an attack because it may use multiple sockets.

The Skirmish and Pantheon don't have that issue, however.

April 14, 2009 9:53:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Lucky for you at least you can join some of the games i can join NONE haha.

April 14, 2009 10:25:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another problem is... I can join some games but not every game... is this a bad sign or not?

This is typical in that Demigod is a peer to peer game that requires you to have connectivity to all of the players to start the game.  So it makes sense that sometimes you will be able to get into a game and sometimes you will not.

April 14, 2009 10:33:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So this means if i cant even connect to the patheon mode or skirmish .... my connection is totally screwed huh.

April 14, 2009 11:51:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So this means if i cant even connect to the patheon mode or skirmish .... my connection is totally screwed huh.

HyperSuper,

Have you tried to put your computer in the DMZ (this is a feature that most firewalls are capable of) with Windows Firewall turned on (don't want to go unprotected as putting your computer in the DMZ is equivalent to bypassing your router)?  If you give Demigod access through Windows firewall and then put your PC in the DMZ, and it works it will be a good indicator that your router is causing the issue.  If it still does not work I would say the odds are it is your ISP.

Zargon0225

April 14, 2009 11:57:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yea i tried putting my router in the DMZ mode before, i even turned off all my firewalls that i have too. Which part of the ISP and how do i resolve this by calling them ??

April 14, 2009 1:21:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The easiest thing to do would probably to call your ISP, since they know (or at least are supposed to) exactly how to setup and configurate.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000360   Page Render Time: