The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Beyond Beta

By on March 12, 2009 5:38:34 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1437

I had a nightmare last night that a review of Demigod was released based on playing Beta 3. The reason it’s a nightmare is that while many people think Beta 3 is where Demigod became “fun”, it’s still so much less than what the final game will deliver in terms of an overall experience.

updateUI

Here’s a recent screenshot of our internal build of Impulse Reactor. As you can see, it’s a lot more than just chatting. Now you’ll be able to look at your profile, check updates, see what DLC is going to be available (that’s how we plan to deliver the 2 additional Demigods GPG/Stardock plan to make – which will be free btw) and of course bringing in Friends into your game.

And of course, that’s just a piece of the overall Demigod experience besides the game itself. Stay tuned.

Locked Post 37 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 15, 2009 10:40:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Innociv, i'm not saying i think u should leave( i dodn't u provide another side of the argument even if u are usually negative) but their are other demigod sites.

March 16, 2009 10:01:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

looks amazing frogboy. Can't wait. The progress from beta 2 to even beta 3 is amazing can't imagine how good it's going to be come release. 

March 16, 2009 11:30:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting innociv,

The sins one?
The devs messed things up on that game purposefully with the patches because they hated people playing the game competitively online. :/

It's this type of ridiculous statement that gets people up in arms with you, because they really can't take you seriously.  Innociv, I know you have the capability of providing constructive feedback because I've seen you write such posts.  If I may make a friendly suggestion, try putting the hyperbole aside and just stick with the feedback.

Developers are just as passionate, if not moreso, about their games than we the gamers are.  Not only are they making a game they want to play, they pour blood, sweat, and tears into trying to turn that game concept into reality.  The idea that developers would antagonize their customer base because they "hated" the way they play the game is, in my opinion, preposterous at best, if not outright offensive at worst.

@Frogboy:  Thanks for the screenshot that shows some nice UI enhancements.  I just have a question for you, if you can answer?  When you talk about the differences between B3 and Release, are you referring more to the UI and other... I don't know quite the word I'm looking for, lets just say "User experience" features, or are there planned gameplay changes going to be taking place as well?

March 16, 2009 11:42:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting goodgimp,

Yes, just as the Demigod devs must hate their players playing their game as well (don't most devs?), so my advice is to cut your losses and find another game straight away!

In the meantime, the rest of us will gladly take one for the team on your behalf and keep playing Demigod, despite how much the developers don't want us to.  Don't worry, you don't have to thank us.

It's a hard job, but I'm whiling to if you are goodgimp.  Somehow we'll manage.

March 16, 2009 12:19:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting goodgimp,

It's this type of ridiculous statement that gets people up in arms with you, because they really can't take you seriously.  Innociv, I know you have the capability of providing constructive feedback because I've seen you write such posts.  If I may make a friendly suggestion, try putting the hyperbole aside and just stick with the feedback.

Er.. It's true though.  But I'm not going to get into that here.  You've had to have played sins from the begining, and read the forums, that's all.
  I'm not saying this is remotely the case with GPG though.

You're right, Ironclad put their blood, sweat, and tears into sins to make the game they wanted.  And they just seemed to hate people who played games to win, and memorized all the mechanics they for some reason chose to have hidden in the lua type files.  It's their call, but you can't help but blame me and others who wanted to play it seriously only for not liking them wanting to make it unplayable for our type.  I stopped caring about it long ago, and just understood they simply didn't want people to play the game competitively.

It's someone else who brought up "other forums", and that's the only one I can think he meant, unless there is some other innociv somewhere else.  And I was very constructive on the sins forum too until all the crap about all the people who didn't know how to play the game calling all the people who where knowledgably elitest and blah-blah because we'd correct them on their incorrect "facts" about the game and strategies.
  And it's starting to become the same here.. The stardock community as a whole seems to have a distain for the people who are good at the games.   I'm not sure what you can do about a game to make it where you can be good at it, and win your first match against someone who knows the game inside and out, knows the netlag timing, knows the stats of all the skills, knows all the map layouts, and so on.  A noob loses against a competitive person like that, and blames the game, and then we get blamed for correcting them by saying that "no it isn't imbalanced, you just got out-played".. :/
  The GPG forums are so much better.  But that also can't be the forum the guy was referring to, since there is both nothing there to make me say anything short, and there is no one there that'd go off on me from certain posts I might make if I did make them.

March 16, 2009 1:06:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What?..  What other forums?

The sins one?
The devs messed things up on that game purposefully with the patches because they hated people playing the game competitively online. :/

This is why people say you're a troll.

March 16, 2009 1:28:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And it's starting to become the same here.. The stardock community as a whole seems to have a distain for the people who are good at the games.

What are you talking about? When have they showed any signs of doing this? If anything its the complete opposite. They have listened to good players plently...just look at kyro's roundup and look at his balance mentions - all from the good players.

I was never involved in sins but was it even meant to be a competitive game at all? From what i've heard its the complete opposite.

March 16, 2009 1:31:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

...people who played games to win, and memorized all the mechanics they for some reason chose to have hidden in the lua type files.

People like that are the reason that people like me play single player.

March 16, 2009 10:31:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm not sure why everyone here is so focused on derailing discussions by calling Innociv a troll.  I've found his comments here to be accurate, by and large, and his opinions are, well, opinions.  I didn't know it was trolling to have a viewpoint on a game that you don't agree with. 

RaveBomb, whether or not you agree with the play to win crowd, they are very important, especially to a game like Demigod.  This game is built from the ground up for competitive online play.  If you fail to balance the game for this crowd, the game will fail, period.  This is why I take posts on balance from people like TheBigOne very seriously.  Individuals who can play at that level usually know more about the games balance, what works, what doesn't, what is exploitable and what isn't than the games own devs.

March 16, 2009 10:39:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
Looking good.

@ innociv :

Imitate Annatar11. He has the proper attitude for the Stardock forums.

Only think and express positive thoughts :   

Sorry, I forgot Annatar11's favourite one : 

March 16, 2009 11:13:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

So the proper attitude should be only giving positive feedback no matter what they throw at us?

I'll give it a shot, I love the way generals ended up when GPG used all the feedback we gave them, /end sarcasm

March 16, 2009 11:33:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The sarcasm is killing me

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time:

Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.