The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

A quick tour of Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition

By on March 10, 2009 1:40:14 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition is now at retail.  This version combines the original release with the 2 expansion packs into a single integrated game.

The code-based is the latest version if Twilight of the Arnor but the content is the entire saga put together.

Ultimate Edition takes the full game and presents it in its 3 acts.

Act I: Dread Lords where the galactic civil war puts the humans from Earth and their friends up against the powerful Drengin Alliance.

Act II: Dark Avatar puts the player in the role of a commander of the Drengin Empire on what to do with those civilizations they have conquered.

Act III: Twilight of the Arnor brings back Jena Casey from the outer rim who must work with the last of the Arnor to put a final end to the Dread Lords menace.

Twilight of the Arnor completes the story of Galactic Civilizations II.

Ultimate Edition’s graphics are vastly better than the original Galactic Civilizations II even though it uses less memory and runs faster than the original.

Design your own ships.

Choose among 12 civilizations or design your own!

In GalCiv, you’re not playing in a distant galaxy. It’s the 23rd century and the humans are on planet earth.

Win through superior fire power, better technology, stronger economics, or the clever use of diplomacy. It’s all up to you.

Galactic Civilizations: Ultimate Edition is at a retailer near you or you can buy it direct from Stardock.

If you already have all the expansion packs and the original then you’re all set already.

+912 Karma | 21 Replies
March 10, 2009 2:37:30 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

"Ultimate Edition takes the full game and presents it in its 3 acts."

So it is intentional that the launcher does not have the "Chapter Selection" feature? Incidentally, mine goes directly to ToA when I use the launcher, so I had to manually make a shortcut for GC2DarkAvatar.exe to play Dark Avatar.

March 10, 2009 2:59:18 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Any word on updates for Gal Civ 2 in the future?  It was hinted at a while ago, but I'm curious for more details (please).

March 10, 2009 3:33:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Once Demigod is off our plate, we'll be able to push out the updates we've been doing on GalCiv.

March 11, 2009 3:59:37 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

First three images are equal, why?

March 11, 2009 8:11:31 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Once Demigod is off our plate, we'll be able to push out the updates we've been doing on GalCiv.

Great news! It so good to see that GC2 continues to be successful and is still supported by Stardock.

That'll keep me happy until Elemental hits Impulse. (PayPal Beta Special Offers, pleeeaaase, with two cherries on top )

March 11, 2009 1:22:05 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Huzzah!  Thanks, Brad.

Demigod has sure sapped up a lot of SD resources!

March 11, 2009 2:13:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

April 15th (or was it?)  has never seem any more closer than after reading about it in such an official manner than today (it's just that right now on Impulse, Demigod IS listed as released on March 11!)... throw in a few weeks of fine-tuning to the 2.0x GC2 Updates and the month of May or less promises to be a fearsome competition between Star Trek at full silver screen wide & dolby theater and a few rides into yet another gameplay boost.

March 12, 2009 5:02:27 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Sweet can't wait for more updates... God I love this game. Thanks Stardock!  

March 13, 2009 12:01:24 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It should also be mentioned what comes in the box.  (The packaging, BTW, is gorgeous).  Updated, 100 page, hard copy of the manual with new stuff seemlessly integrated in.  The quick-key card from the GOTY edition.  One disc featuring the game and another featuring the soundtrack.  The soundtrack, however, is merely the same one from GOTY with nothing new added.  There is also a GalCiv2 desktop theme in the works and I hope it gets released soon! 

I was previously a vanilla Dread Lords player, purposefully waiting for a package like this and MAN was it worth it!  The extra features from the expansions, as most of you know already, are so great.  GalCiv2 will be monopolizing my gaming time . . . well . . . until GalCiv3 is released.  Many thanks to all at Stardock for this release! 

March 26, 2009 8:03:02 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Is there a problem with the images in the main post, or is it just my computer.  For whatever reason, the images don't appear and if I click on them it tells me the account has been discable and to call the billing department.

March 26, 2009 8:14:33 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Ovangkol,
Is there a problem with the images in the main post, or is it just my computer.  For whatever reason, the images don't appear and if I click on them it tells me the account has been discable and to call the billing department.

Works fine for me.

March 26, 2009 8:22:17 PM from PoliticalMachine Forums PoliticalMachine Forums

It's the server, should be fixed now.

March 28, 2009 10:04:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Thanks!  Looks great now.  I am a Sins player, and had looked at the Gal Civ II demo at the time I bought Sins, but couldn't get into it.  This looks so good in the Dev Journals, though, that I am going to have to try it!  Looking forward to a game wtih a story too...

April 9, 2009 4:06:29 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Being a new player, I bought the Ultimate(For once I did not write "Ultima" from having too many Lord British flashbacks LOL) Edition I have to say that this is worth every penny. I LOVE the keyboard guide!

One question though, I see that I have it registered under Impulse. If I ever lose my disc and have to reinstall it for some reason is it like Steam to where I can download it without paying twice?

April 9, 2009 5:15:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Fantasyjunkie,
Being a new player, I bought the Ultimate(For once I did not write "Ultima" from having too many Lord British flashbacks LOL) Edition I have to say that this is worth every penny. I LOVE the keyboard guide!

One question though, I see that I have it registered under Impulse. If I ever lose my disc and have to reinstall it for some reason is it like Steam to where I can download it without paying twice?

Precisely.

April 11, 2009 8:20:38 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Any word on when this is going to happen. and what you are going to change? I have now verified, quite by accident, that the ToA planetary governor will, indeed, fill up my planets with industrial sectors if I make the error of adding a factory to it's cue. I am pretty sure, at this point, that it will do this with any upgradeable structure as soon as the upgrade tech is researched.

April 16, 2009 1:42:31 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Is there any difference between Ultimate Edition and Endless Universe if I just want to play the normal game without the campaigns?

July 31, 2010 6:38:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Act I: Dread Lords where the galactic civil war puts the humans from Earth and their friends up against the powerful Drengin Alliance.

Act II: Dark Avatar puts the player in the role of a commander of the Drengin Empire on what to do with those civilizations they have conquered.

Act III: Twilight of the Arnor brings back Jena Casey from the outer rim who must work with the last of the Arnor to put a final end to the Dread Lords menace.

So if I start with Act I, do I not get any of the features added from Act II and III? And then, if I play Act II, do I not get any of the features added in Act III?

If that's the case, can you explain why Dark Avatar and Twilight are said to improve anything?

February 4, 2011 10:17:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

so, I have the original version of this game, will I be able to update it to get all the new stuff, such as terror stars and ascension

February 4, 2011 10:30:36 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

and where can you buy the ultimate version, because I only have the first version, and I have never seen the ultimate edition

February 6, 2011 12:30:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000422   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.