The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Balance] Citadel Upgrades Need Love

By on March 3, 2009 6:15:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Citadel upgrades got majorly overhauled in 2 and it was A Good Thing.  I'm seeing alot of them creeping into irrelevancy again though.  It seems like every team game I've played in 3a upgrades some variation of

- XP

- Grunt Weapons and Armor

- Gold

- Grunt types

You ignore everything else, and you don't bother with most of these until your team has some basic kit items. 

No one buys Death Timer unless they are playing a 1 v 1 Draconic penalty game on Crucible and being dead too long means you lose your portal.

Tower offense and defense lines are useful if you are losing for slowing your enemy down slightly.  Nobody uses them, though, because they stop being useful when your enemy has catapults or actively pushes a tower. 

No one buys the Trebuchet line of research. 

Some thoughts on how to make these upgrades viable - they are too basic.  Each upgrade should incorporate either an area or team buff.  As examples -

Death Timer - level 1 decreases penalty time 10% and increases movement speed on respawn 10% for 10 seconds

Tower Offense - level 1 increases tower damage and also buffs damage of all units within radius of a tower 5%

Tower Defense - level 1 increases tower health and hp regeneration and also buffs health and regen for all units within radius 10%

Trebuchet - I suggested in an earlier thread that trebuchets would be more useful if they prioritized enemy installations rather than DGs..I'd like to see this line incorporate upgrades to Forts too, since they don't do anything right now...Maybe all units within radius of a Fort get 5% buff on all stats at level 1..

Making the gold upgrade follow this model as a team buff like the XP upgrade would be good as well.  So level 1 increases gold income 8% and it affects grunt, DG, and tower kills, rather than just being a flat rate...While we are at it let's incorporate buffs to each citadel upgrade.  Grunt Weapons at level 1 increases ALL units attack speed 5%, Priest upgrade increases ALL units health regen 5%, etc...

That way the awesome tower buffs above can be countered with excellent offensive buffs, but it makes one thing more important:

- Flag control and exponentially higher war rank become really crucial.  You can't let your enemy have the time or the flags to build up his buffs or you will be fighting uphill.

You start to see some really interesting item and buff combos too.  I'm going to buy all attack speed items and upgrade Weapons to the max to boost DPS for my whole team.  You will invest in Armor items and Armor upgrades to counter, etc...

It makes the game deeper and it isn't too much work for the Devs at this late hour, I don't think...

What do you think?

+118 Karma | 8 Replies
March 3, 2009 6:40:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Love these ideas.

+Karma...if it was working

March 3, 2009 9:01:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great ideas, and karma is working if you veiw this from impulse, just look for his username and recent posts on impulse if you want to give it to him/her based on this.

I especially like the tower upgrades. Combined with oak (assuming it isn't 1 v 1) it can create an unstoppable defensive line.

March 4, 2009 10:20:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

so I guess I missed the announcement that devs are not changing meaningful code at this point, only tweaking values.  Well, maybe they could keep this in mind for a post-release update....   

March 4, 2009 10:42:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

love these ideas as well, citadels upgrades indeed need love!

March 4, 2009 10:46:35 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Certainly, tower upgrades, death penalty and the fort/citadel branch need more interest !

If they don't want to change radically things, just make tower upgrades meaningful at the end of the game (+25% max is not)

And lower trebuchet/finger of god upgrade cost. They actually play tertiary role.

March 4, 2009 11:22:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If they don't want to change radically things, just make tower upgrades meaningful at the end of the game (+25% max is not)

And lower trebuchet/finger of god upgrade cost. They actually play tertiary role.

that's true, you could make these upgrades more viable just by upping effect and scaling the levels better.  Max level building damage at +50% would actually be worth teching to..

March 4, 2009 11:52:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Everytime it´s possible, I´m going for the Finger of God, just because I like this effect

I once played a game with hard towers. So, upgrading to tribuchets was a must have (ok, those settings were an accident, but funny^^).

I agree with you Ke5trel, the basis of the upgrades is set, now we need fine tuning

July 29, 2009 6:21:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

They ahvde to do that in oatch 1.2 !

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000109   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.