The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition at retail

By on February 19, 2009 8:40:41 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

I was pleased to visit GameStop and see Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition smack dab in the middle of the “What’s hot” shelf.

I have to say, ultimate edition came out pretty well with the original and the 2 expansions integrated together as a single entity.

Meanwhile, even though Elemental, Demigod, and Sins have gotten a lot of attention lately, there’s a new update of GalCiv II in the works.

+912 Karma | 26 Replies
February 19, 2009 11:24:05 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

there’s a new update of GalCiv II in the works.

Cool, what's planned for the update and when is the target release date?

February 20, 2009 7:48:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Galactic terrain!  ( I hope)

Look forward to it whatever it is.

February 20, 2009 9:14:13 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

That's nice .... ..   I like updates ...

an new stuff ....  looking forward to its release ..

February 20, 2009 9:42:03 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

there’s a new update of GalCiv II in the works.

Very nice to hear. Any further info?

February 20, 2009 11:16:36 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Update...?!?!?! HECK YA!

February 20, 2009 12:23:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

GalCiv2 update?  Awesome! 

If it isn't too obnoxious, I'd like to make a request.  in the ship builder, I would love to be able to set the "center point" on any given piece.  Currently it's sometimes in the back, sometimes in the middle.  Being able to move it would open up whole new worlds of ship construction .

I've been playing this game for years and your updates have yet to disapoint, so I won't be brokenhearted if you opt not to do that...

February 20, 2009 3:24:53 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

That would be cool to hear more about the coming update.  If it's selling that well, there's probably some cash around to devote dev time to improving things.

February 20, 2009 5:32:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Actually just saw a buttload of them at Best Buy and some people were picking them up. Also I picked one up to get a good look at the box too. Seems like its working. 

February 20, 2009 7:22:37 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

in the ship builder, I would love to be able to set the "center point" on any given piece.

There is a far larger problem with the ship builder. When designing or editing ships you have all the technologies at hand except for miniaturation!  This means you can only design ships or edit ships from your games that use no miniaturation!

Miniaturation as always been a source of problems in this game. Since it was not pratical to have it make components smaller the devs instead had it make the hull larger. This causes confusion with new players and was also a source of a bug where components that scale to the ship's hull were scaling to the larger hull thanks to the expansion from miniaturation.

I think it would have been better if the game had excluded miniaturation, then it would be easier to reuse ship designs and the ship builder would actually be useful.  Of course without miniaturation I would have to say goodbye to my cheap tiny hull constructors (but I could live with small hulls) which I produce on mass to build starbases on all those resources.

February 21, 2009 8:22:25 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

When you guys fix the Planetary Governor bug that causes crashes when using more than one governor, please fix this also:

I had the governor set to build 5 stock markets after building several other  items. I got Tides of Cleansing from the Torians, and the governor started filling up all my planets (to which the governor had already been assigned) with Tides, and nothing else. I already had 2 Healing Pools per planet, so the error may be related to upgrading these.

In the interim, I will wait until after my planets have been built out-to upgrade the Healing Pools. At least I don't have to worry about morale problems in this game.

February 23, 2009 8:01:26 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Incidentally, it also does this with Hot Springs. I reloaded an early version of the game above, bypassed Tides all together, and bought Hot Springs from the Torians after I >thought< I had all the planets built out. Seems I miscalculated. When I loaded the game up this morning, I had to clean Hot Springs off the que for every single planet with empty tiles.

For my style of play, which involves gaining 200+ planets via trade at Treaty Time in ToA, there are a couple of suggestions that would make the Planetary Governor KickAss:

1) Move the controls closer together in the Planet Details screen. It kills my wrist to go to the top of the screen to mash "next". the bottom of the screen to mash "governor", and the center of the screen to assign the governor 200+ times in a row.

2) In the Planet Details screen, put some indicator of which, if any, governor is assigned to the planet. This way, when I pick up another 25 planets in trade, I can easily tell which ones do not have the governor assigned.

February 23, 2009 10:55:49 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

please fix the broken AIs for the Torians, the Drengin, the Korath, the Yor and the Iconian!

February 23, 2009 10:43:37 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

please fix the broken AIs for the Torians, the Drengin, the Korath, the Yor and the Iconian!

Broken how?

I have noticed that the Krynn, even on Ultimate, like to spam hundreds of small hull fighters with primitive weapons rather than producing fewer quality larger hull ships. Large fleets of these weak ships are easy prey for even a single medium hull ship with moderate weapons and defenses (optimal to the fighters' primitive weapons).  The Krynn needs to focus more on researching larger hulls and better weapons/defenses; then they can produce quality over quantity.

February 24, 2009 3:08:04 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

...there’s a new update of GalCiv II in the works.

Hold it, i am reading Update and not (only) small tweaks & fixes, right?

I kept dreaming of many things during the last four months...

1- Multiple new colors for Harpoints.

2- Planets that match query images with surface tiles text, constantly.

3- And, whatever else staff & coders could get to.

February 24, 2009 1:05:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Mascrinthus,
I have noticed that the Krynn, even on Ultimate, like to spam hundreds of small hull fighters with primitive weapons rather than producing fewer quality larger hull ships. Large fleets of these weak ships are easy prey for even a single medium hull ship with moderate weapons and defenses (optimal to the fighters' primitive weapons).  The Krynn needs to focus more on researching larger hulls and better weapons/defenses; then they can produce quality over quantity.

If you examine the Krynn tech tree you will see that this is what is supposed to happen.  It costs a lot of reasearch points for them to get bigger hulls, so they tend to do the 'Zerg' thing by making large fleets of smaller ships.  The Krynn are masters at influence spreading, not military construction.

February 25, 2009 2:22:47 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Congrats!  I just saw a bunch of them at Best Buy a couple weeks ago and was surprised.

I'm on my last Civ 4 game to finish up my EQM games and I'm about ready to get back into Gal Civ 2 so an update is good news indeed!

February 28, 2009 8:03:49 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

If you examine the Krynn tech tree you will see that this is what is supposed to happen. It costs a lot of reasearch points for them to get bigger hulls, so they tend to do the 'Zerg' thing by making large fleets of smaller ships. The Krynn are masters at influence spreading, not military construction.

I think there is more than that going on here. I was playing all factories on level Suicide (all the AIs were set to Ultimate) so all the AIs were generating much more research than I. For them to be stuck with primitive fighters well into the game when the Drengin had ships with Nightmare Torpedo and the Yor had Black Hole Gun, suggests they have a serious flaw.

March 9, 2009 3:52:48 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Any news on what the update will include/fix or when it might be released?

April 2, 2009 3:16:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I bought GC2-Ultimate Edition last week and whenever I choose to update on the menu option it leads me to the website with NO info on updating.  I have to dig into the forums like this one to find any information on updating.  I have yet seen where I can update but it seems by this string of postings there isn't any for this game yet.

I have been having continuous problems with this game.  Other galaxies and settings other than small and default seems to want to crash out.  No explaination why.  I have been playing on one game for awhile and it crashed with the window's window telling me it crashed and it is looking to Microsoft for help.  And as usual, no help is available.  So it says it will report it and I will be informed later.  Yea, sure!  Like they have EVER reported back with a solution or an explaination.

I'm not to familiar with this forum but it seems to be a little more basic version than other ones I've been on.  It took me awhile to find this "quick reply" option for me to post.  Can't find any way to create a new string or posting.  Don't know why.

Any ideas out there what's going on with the crashing?  I got tired of Lost Empires:The Immortals always crashing with the excuse of low memory (which I can't believe because this computer was loaded when I bought it last Novermber).

April 2, 2009 3:31:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Have you already tried updating through Impulse?

1) Download Impulse

2) Register your GCII

3) Update it

April 2, 2009 8:39:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Impulse came with the game.  When I installed the game Impulse also installed.  I just updated Impulse (I think).  But, where in Hades do I find update files for the game.  I already registered it.  Whenever I click "Update Game" it goes to the website for Impulse but nowhere do I see anything about update files.  Are they hidden?  Or do they not exist yet?

April 2, 2009 8:43:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Oh, by the way.  I started a new game.  The Dread Lords appear and proceeded to wipe me out.  The on date Dec. 1, 2233 (I think that's was the year) my turn button disappeared.  I could move around on the map, click on the other buttons with no problems but could not complete the turn.

April 9, 2009 1:39:21 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I just bought the Ultimate Edition at Best Buy. So far, I love this game. But dang, it's hard to stop!

April 21, 2009 11:27:22 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

If you're working on a new update, there's a couple of things that I keep wishing for:

- A way to clear a ship design or race's description text with one click. If you have a lot of text, its frustrating to hold down the delete button for what seems like ages.

- The slider in the ship builder only works if the pointer hovers over it. This means if you're browsing extras and the pointer drifts off the slider, it stops moving (plus that's a very narrow slider!). It would be awesome if it kept moving once you've held the mouse down on it, no matter where the pointer goes.

Also, I noticed a couple of bugs.

- Sometimes if I look at the list of my colonies, some of the colonies have the flat planet terrain image displayed next to their name instead of a planet.

- There is a bug with tech trading. Several times last game the AI popped up and offered an exchange of techs, only their side of the table is blank, and in the dialogue box the tech they mention is one I already have. I've always cancelled the trade, so I don't know what happens if you accept. If I remember rightly, the techs were all from the unique parts of the tech tree, such as Synthetic Ingenuity. I had tech trading turned on, but tech brokering turned off. Also, that game had a couple of events where minor races stole techs from a major race, and two new races appeared (Vegans and Paridians) who seemed to have all my tech. Maybe that's where the other AI's got the duplicate techs to trade?

June 5, 2009 7:20:27 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

For an update...-

- pls fix several bug in DL-Campaign its unplayable (apocalypse has a bug in the victory conditions and escape seems to have a buffer overflow if the dl-planet gets invaded)

- pls fix drengin techtree (two techs with the same name (ultimate ... research) in  german "ultimative teuflische forschung"

- pls fix the expansion of evil races

- sometimes a ship get started if i click on the blue notification sometimes not

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.