maps are TOO small

Please Listen Chris Taylor

By on February 2, 2009 5:02:48 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

timevans999

Join Date 08/2008

Demigod is a lot less demanding than supcom, but i think you have gone to far the other way. Large maps are gpg's best attribute and i was hoping that maps and population caps we're going to get larger.

One good marketing aprroach would be to dump any prospect of dx10/11 graphics and use extra performance to keep increasing the map size and pop caps. I hold several RTS lans every year and people spend lvast sums purely to have the performance to turn up, so trust me the market is there.That is of course unless you're only concerned with the mass market which you cliam not to be that concerned about. Please Please guys make 'em bigger for the UK Massive!

Locked Post 24 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 2, 2009 5:30:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

First off, realize you are playing on a mediu size 3v3 map.  We have already seen some of the 5v5 maps and they ARE BIGGER.  However they are not like SupCom big.  The game style does not fit large maps in my opinion.  The game is in an artificial arena created for battle and battle alone.  Although I would like to see 1 map bigger than the 5v5 map we have seen, any bigger and the game will be slow and boring.  Without resorce management and tech trees, waiting for your guys to move from point A to point B is boring.

(Bear in mind this comes from someone like yourself who plays SupCom, Rise of Nations, Sins, and Civ on the biggest maps possible.)

February 2, 2009 5:36:43 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

how about we all look forward to different features in different games and not look at what has made other games good.

February 2, 2009 5:52:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting gkrit,
how about we all look forward to different features in different games and not look at what has made other games good.

Really have no idea what you are saying here.

February 2, 2009 6:21:49 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

indeed, it was a bit of a contradiction.

back on topic; yes, there'll be larger maps.

however, there's a good reason not to see SupCom's 81KM maps in Demigod; it'd be a stupid idea! part of DG (and to a lesses extent with other titles in this genre) is the fact the fighting starts straight away. there's no eco. whoring, nuke-rushing, nor long ferrying times to grind through before the good stuff starts -- the fighting. 

i sure as hell don't want to spend 17 minutes wandering through the abyss between my and the enemy's citadel. there's a fine line between to small and too big, such a line is dependant on genre, and GPG walks this line well. they did it in SupCom (as large maps are perfectly fine there), and they'll do it again here (where not so large maps dominate).

February 2, 2009 6:38:01 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yes but will supcom ever truely work. I've run lans with minimum spec vista 64 4 gig ram and 3 ghz quads and we still reached a ceiling of about 6000 units total globe population. Although the game could continue the lag was unbearable. Lets wind down graphics and concerntrate on much larger maps and pop caps cause lets face it that is what really drives enjoyment in RTS( come on TAYLOR BOY)

February 2, 2009 7:04:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

gkrit, being right on the money, is saying that you can't take all the successful ingredients from previous games and put them all togheter in a new one. Just because they were awesome in previous games, does not mean they will mix in a good way for the new game. Different new games will adopt different features of previous games.

I for one strongly disagree with "winding down" graphics. The beauty of the graphics is what sold this game to me. If the producers cheapen the graphic output of the game, then yes, it will be playable on more computers, but that is not the same as selling more copies of the game because you will also lose customers who now think that it isn't worth the money. I trust that GPG will make the right decision there.

And now I am going to say something that I think many will not agree with. The performance of this game, ie the graphic output, is not a problem that needs to be fixed. Yes, there is a problem in 2D - many who could run it previously without hickup, suddenly can't. However, I can run this game on a LAPTOP that is 3,5 years old. You can't lessen the demand any more than that. There has to be a cut-off point, and I say it is a good cut-off point at the moment (not counting the problems 2D brought).

With that said, if there were options to reduce the graphics in order to gain performance, then I don't think anyone would mind being given those options. Just don't force them on all of us.

February 2, 2009 7:25:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Zzzz I dont enjoy spending hours moving from one side of a map to another. As fun as it sounds, ill pass.

February 2, 2009 7:44:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

yeah, the graphics are fine as they are (obviously there's no such this as too much polish). DG is not SupCom, it never was meant to compete in the proper RTS genre (and to be honest it's not really an RTS at the moment), stop expecting it to.

and to the comment on "what really drives enjoyment in RTS"; beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

some people get enjoyment from small, intense, battles. some people don't, neither is better than the other. if one isn't your suit, then don't play. but please accept that others have different opintions to you.

February 2, 2009 11:10:53 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If there is any validity to complaint over map size, it is due to Demigod swiftness. The impression might be that maps need to be larger, but I would contend this is simply a sensation brought about by the ample use of teleport items. Eliminating teleportation would surely make all the maps seem a fair bit larger.

That would actually be an idea - randomize the array of regular items available for purchase in any skirmish/map. Then sometimes you might wind up with a contest wherein you are going to have to perambulate from A to B. When such came about it would seriously affect strategy. Option 2: randomize item cost, so one time a 100 gold scroll of teleport might now cost 400 gold. Again, shake up game flow from skirmish to skirmish.

February 2, 2009 11:19:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think having a map about twice the size of what we've already seen should be the upper limit.  With all the speed boosting, warping and teleporting options in the game maps like Cataract can seem tiny at times.

February 2, 2009 5:10:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Some teleport spots to some little closed areas  (like a 1 flag room for example) could be a way to expand the maps without making them huge.

I haven't seen maps but the actual one.

February 2, 2009 11:02:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

The bigger that maps get, the more heavily dependent on speed and teleportation the gameplay would be.

If you thought the massive teleport dependency was bad on a relatively small map, imagine how bigger maps would be, where the only way to get from point A to point B efficiently was teleportation?

February 4, 2009 7:14:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

ALSO

Its either...

bigger maps = time consuming, slow action

OR

smaller maps = straight to the point, jam packed intense battling

... and id rather graphics over dubbed-down graphics for a bigger map.

September 2, 2009 4:14:55 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting gkrit,
ALSO

Its either...

OR

bigger maps can be filled with goodies why is there such a lac of imagination here!

September 2, 2009 4:51:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting timevans999,

Quoting gkrit, reply 13ALSO

Its either...

OR

bigger maps can be filled with goodies why is there such a lac of imagination here!

Pavlov says you need to look at it from the more goodies sooner of the small map with more OOO and AHHH and OHYEAH occurring more frequently...

September 20, 2009 3:31:45 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Demigod is uninstalled on all clan rigs now. To be honest i held a lan and the boys all wanted to play it great you may think, but just 45 minutes later it was shelved. And not the in reach of spiny chair shelf, the dusty place where titles such as redalert 3, empire earth and other dissapointing shit is kept.

So then the lan continued to sins which was good until we discovered that with 10,000 fleet cap the game eventually gets to a continuous mini dump or crashes no matter how clean and stable the systems and network are oh well shelf near spiny chair for that one.

September 20, 2009 9:03:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting timevans999,
Yes but will supcom ever truely work. I've run lans with minimum spec vista 64 4 gig ram and 3 ghz quads and we still reached a ceiling of about 6000 units total globe population. Although the game could continue the lag was unbearable. Lets wind down graphics and concerntrate on much larger maps and pop caps cause lets face it that is what really drives enjoyment in RTS( come on TAYLOR BOY)

Even Supcoms maps were too big. After spending a lot of time online there was no point playing 81*81 maps unless you were planning on building 1000 planes, nukes or teleporters. It was the only way around. Mind you I want to know if you guys still have these sorta LANs cause they do sound fun. Mind you I would probably have killed 2 of you within the first 20 minutes

As for DG. The maps are fine. Any bigger and they would drive people insane

Want... to... play... Supreme Commander... must resist... must not waste hours online... noo...

<logs onto GPGnet>

September 20, 2009 1:21:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WE N33D SM4LLER MAPZ CUS I DUN LIEK TO W4LK

but anyway. the game isnt based on walking for 2 mins to get to the middle of the map to get your health draned by towers and other demis so you get to walk back for another 2 minutes.

September 20, 2009 5:18:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Waffle_muncher,
WE N33D SM4LLER MAPZ CUS I DUN LIEK TO W4LK

but anyway. the game isnt based on walking for 2 mins to get to the middle of the map to get your health draned by towers and other demis so you get to walk back for another 2 minutes.

Teleport scroll!

That said any map bigger than Cataract and I almost always get the teleport amulet

September 21, 2009 12:51:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Amulet of Teleportation is so good on leviathan/crucible/brothers/mandala!

September 21, 2009 3:10:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

disagree. maps are way too big.

The difference between DG and all the other Dota clones is not the complexity of DG heroes (they really aren't that complex), its the chaotic action that results when you have tons of creeps and DG in a small area. If DG wants to embrace what makes it unique from all the other dota clones, it will focus on becoming more of an "arena" game.

September 21, 2009 4:01:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Post necromancy FTW?

September 21, 2009 7:01:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'd be suprised if you did. Put it this way do you know the effective range of all the artillary?

September 21, 2009 7:39:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting slurple,
disagree. maps are way too big.

The difference between DG and all the other Dota clones is not the complexity of DG heroes (they really aren't that complex), its the chaotic action that results when you have tons of creeps and DG in a small area. If DG wants to embrace what makes it unique from all the other dota clones, it will focus on becoming more of an "arena" game.

Hey Slurple long time no see!  First time I can recall agreeing with you, but you are 100% correct here.  More small maps are needed ala cataract and prison.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000343   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.