The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Protection against leavers

By on January 27, 2009 4:09:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hi guys,

a feature protecting users to ruin games would be nice - i played a lot of dota and i really hate leavers. Bnet 5on5 and after first blood 50% the "first blooded" left - thats annoying and game ruining - any ideas how to prevent it?

Greets

K.

0 Karma | 28 Replies
January 27, 2009 4:47:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Its good yes and no...

I Will leave a laggy game for sure personally. But i dont leave when im loosing. Lag intolerable for me.

January 27, 2009 5:00:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Kaiser, hope you are not refering to me here.  I only left due to desync and my team member leaving as well.  I never leave even when losing bad, ask kira or wag about that.

January 29, 2009 11:25:23 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Until now i forgot that u left the game I remember that there was a desync (as so often) and thats a reason i understand - but leaving because of loosing shouldnt be allowed and somehow punished... its rly annoying and game ruining deluxe (ever tried dota on bnet!? )

January 29, 2009 12:43:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm not a dota leaver, i never played that much dota, only with friends. But i played thousands of WC3TFT games, and it was usual, even in tournaments that when u were sure you had lost the game u forfeit and leave, i got one defeat, the other guy one win and that is how it is supposed to be.

I never stayed in a WC3 game watching the dude kill every single building until the game was over, that is just a lost of time and ridiculous.

But hey, i'm not saying one should leave when he gets killed the first time, or second, or 3rd....

Just saying that when the other team has won i gladly admit it and leave forfeiting the game.

January 29, 2009 1:35:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Personally, I believe that leavers should be flagged/tracked and people who routinely leave should be automatically paired against each other in automatic matches and put in different tournaments than the non-leavers.  This way the leavers, frustrating and game-ruining as they are, can at least still play the game they bought with their hard-earned money without ruining it for the non-leavers.  For custom-hosted games, a leave percentage would be really helpful too.  Just stick it up there next to the ping.  

P.S.  I played a Dota game last night where there were no leavers at all the entire game.  It was magical.  

P.P.S.  I actually had a dream that they implemented VOIP in-game and I was happy.  How nerdy is that?

February 3, 2009 4:52:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Have an AI take over for the leaving player, that lets you have the satisfaction of crushing the citadel or whatnot without totally ruining the game.

February 4, 2009 6:54:31 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

a feature in another game which have been used to minimise the rate of team leavers is:

- if a person leaves more that 2 games within a time period of a day, he/she recieves a time ban of X minutes. Has proved to be very effective method.

- if a person continues to leave games after the time ban (but still within the same day), the time ban increases.

i reckon somethign along the lines of this would be effective.

February 4, 2009 8:41:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I was kinda hoping that stats would be registered and that alone would want people to keep their leave% to a minimum. But otherwise I think a 20 min "cant enter games after a leave" should apply since it enables people that really need to go to go (kitchen burning et.c) while it disables people from going (im losing this game, screw it Im leavining and joining one that Im winning instead).

February 4, 2009 3:24:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What a bunch of whiners!!!! I can't believe some of you I don't care if I am winning or losing if I have to go I have to go their are more important things in life then a game. I don't care if someone leaves as long as they say I gotta go, gg, or something its a game. I just appreciate the opportunity to play with people.  If you get all hung up on % of leave don't play with me cause you are all @$$holes anyway who are more worried about a damn score, or he didn't leave me crush his citadel.  It replaces the player with an AI go stomp it for awhile.  Grow up people some of us have to leave a game for good reasons!! Would you prefer I type got diahrrea going to shit my pants gg. Or you going to bitch that I left. Some of us do have lives besides games and if it is a phone call and an opportunity for me to sell a horse or wait to finish a game sorry dudes but the sale is more important. Others here probably have family, so are you going to complain when someone says gotta go my kid hurt himself, got sick or something maybe you have a baby and they woke up and are crying no let him cry I got to finish this game.  Do you now understand how stupid you are. I love how most of the whiners aren't the good players anyway. 

February 4, 2009 3:51:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think everyone understand RL priority over the game, HR.  Sometimes you have to see a man about a horse ^^

This thread is more about the tendency for some people to quit a game at the first sign that losing is remotely possible.  If you quit for that reason you are letting your team down and disrespecting your opponents - you are a leaver.   It's alot different from saying "hey, my girlfriend is calling long-distance, I gtg, but gg" when you are a leaver because you aren't going off to do something real - you just don't like to lose and you don't care what acting on that does to other players and you will keep quitting out of games until you find a group of nubs you can feel superior to and steamroll.

Setting some sort of automatic penalty seems reasonable to prevent that, don't you think?

February 4, 2009 4:13:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Keeping a simple statistic like % of games left-before-end seems to make sense to me (before 5min of game ending anyway). Sure RL sometimes interupts, but if that "leave %" is like 20% then thats not RL, thats you leaving to not take a loss in your "record"...

I personally don't care for any 'record' but leavers RUINS games...and if your 20min into a game fighting a 5v5 when two enemies leave, thats 20min wasted of YOUR time.

-Drexion

February 4, 2009 4:15:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Not actually because everyone paid for the game.  If it is one persons desire to ruin online play for all so be it.  I personally would hope people don't do this, Personally Each of us has too look in the mirror and decide what is right or wrong.  That is where we need the "bling" in game. Next to your name it should have a rating, medals etc. not your disconnect %.  So you could avoid the quitter and have more evenly matched teams then playing a good team and 2 people die one minute in and quit.  To me it's like 4 v 4 20 minute no rush in supcom.  10 minutes in your preset team of 4 with higher scores against 4 people with lower scores what's the point to finish you know your going to lose.  Last nite I played a game on seton's with some friends. my score at 20 minutes was 127,000 two of my teammates were around 80,000 and one at 60,000 other team had one guy in 70,000 range and 3 under 50,000.  Really why should have the game continued I took my 30 or so sup fighters and 20 restorers and demolished two of enemy bases under 25 minutes and nuked the 3rd.  Would I have cared if they left. No why because the game was over.  They saved me time to play another game.

February 4, 2009 7:08:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

well ... the penalty suggestion i posted earlier is a reasonable penalty for people that need to tend to things IRL. BECAUSE, if they do need to leave for something important, ONE leave will not effect you in any way but if u continue to do so in a short amount of time, obviously there isnt something u need to tend to IRL. therefore if you leave more than 2 or 3  games the penalty will put you out of play for short while.

if you play big online games, competitive play can get really annoying when u do have leavers so it only makes sense to apply a "leavers penalty" to regulate the amount of quitters.

If you dont have too much time to play because you have something  scheduled or whatever, just dont join the next game where theres a chance you might have to leave mid-round.

February 5, 2009 6:43:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Horseradish so you would have spent 20 min just building stuff and then never get to use them. Thats a waste of time imo.

Since they stayed they could very well have had an experimental walking up on your commander anytime, turning the gamefield totaly around. Im quite sure that if all your enemies just left as the battle was going to start becouse they had 5k less score you would have been a bit pissed as well.

If it is one persons desire to ruin online play for all so be it

But you can be freaking sure the host wont allow him into his games anymore unless he got atleast a semi-good reason for leaving.

Imagine CS shoutcasts final where the other team suddenly gets a leaver  becouse the scores are 2-5, totally ruining the game for the rest of both his team and his oponents, not to mention the people watching.

Thing is that if we dont get anyway to handle leaving in the game such as % of games completed shown in stats et.c there will instead be a big community keeping third party banlist programs, Then you wont be able to join any game at all after a while HorseRadish.

February 5, 2009 11:48:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

True it would suck and I would have wasted because supcom doesn't even replace with an AI.  But not all internet connections are equal and other things take place that cause disconnection.  only % of games should be ones left before first two minutes of the game.  This is a problem mostly for people who join team games with people they don't know.  And since most of you who care about this care more about a rating then playing a game and having fun. I understand you all think you are king of the hill and all that other bull crap.  I just play to play!! Release some stress from my busy schedule since I work outside at a normal job, come home and own a farm and do it's daily needs, I come to play and release some frustration. If I have time for a half hour I have time for a half hour. If the games is still going and I need to go I say gg and leave. I don't much care about wins and loses.  But some of you idiots want my disconnect % cause I didn't allow you to finish off my citadel. And personally mark me for it. Do you want me to personally mark you for being Gay!! or Your race. Or that your a noob!!! Stats like disconnect % have no value and ruin a game for all. Only game I played that had that lame statistic was AOE3!! And hopefully this one won't also. Or maybe we can label some of you as loser since you have a poor win percentage or a noob. 

February 5, 2009 8:12:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i dont think a history of LEAVE percentage is necessary either. For a person to buy the game then gain a bad percentage on having to leave for things in RL would be a load of crap, coz it would effect him/her quite alot in trying to get into future games(i think this is wat we r getting at here). 

Quoting HorseRadish,
Do you want me to personally mark you for being Gay!! or Your race. Or that your a noob!!! Stats like disconnect % have no value and ruin a game for all. Only game I played that had that lame statistic was AOE3!! And hopefully this one won't also. Or maybe we can label some of you as loser since you have a poor win percentage or a noob. 

lol... this is irrelevent though(you prob meant as a joke, and personally it doesnt worry me), coz its a game and shouldnt be based on personal attacks. "noob" is fun though lol, shouldnt be taken seriously anyway.

anyway as i was saying HorseRadish, the penalty i mentioned earlier in this thread will not effect your scheduled game play time at all. Im not trying to argue, we're just trying to come up with solution that will cater for both parties (hardcore players/casual players).

February 6, 2009 9:46:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The solution is to play the game and not worry about stupid stuff like people who leave

February 6, 2009 9:58:24 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

And how do you play a game where all your allies and oponents leave?

February 6, 2009 5:49:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Your right that a person who has to leave alot due to RL issues would get a "bad reputation". I guess our point is that this is a DESERVED reputation since he is ruining many people's games. We either need a mechanic to avoid these "leavers" or we will simply get a third-party utility and a banlist.

Regarding simply waiting for the "enemy capital" to die, just make it so if someone leaves like within 5minutes of the game ending...it doesn't count as a "quit" or "disconnect"...Simply as a loss.

-Drexion

February 6, 2009 6:08:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Regarding simply waiting for the "enemy capital" to die, just make it so if someone leaves like within 5minutes of the game ending...it doesn't count as a "quit" or "disconnect"...Simply as a loss.

Actually it would be nice if we could get that implemented in the next Beta.  A "Surrender" button that would quit you out and end the game if an entire team surrendered is sorta necessary even at this stage.  What you see right now is a team quitting a game they are clearly losing and the winning team being forced to mop up the AI if they want the favor or achievements...

Oh and can we unbug favor please?  It resets randomly and I'm getting tired of saving up for "persistent" items I've already bought 5-10 times...

February 6, 2009 8:34:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I tend to think we shoudl look at leavers in the sense of what % of the time does someone leave?

I'll leave a game if it's laggy.

But some people are chronic leavers.  We would need to come up with a % threshold on leaving and then flag that user if they're a chronic leaver.

February 6, 2009 10:41:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Should this "flagging" of someone as a chronic leaver be something the system decides...or should we leave that up to each individual player? Personally I might have a different "leaver %" tolerance level than someone else...

We could take care of the "leave if its laggy" by not flagging them as a "leaver" if they do it within 3 minutes of the game starting... etc...

-Drexion

February 6, 2009 11:27:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i think this 'player history' should be refreshed every month though.

February 11, 2009 4:21:31 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do what Guild Wars did for arena battles.

Leave more than two games within the time period of an hour and you get a pvp ban lasting 15 minutes.  Leaving within an hour of the termination of the ban will subsequently add another 15 minutes onto your ban, increasing as many times as the person leaves.
Keep stats of Dishonorability, where each point of dishonor comes from every time the ban is reapplied.  This allows players with emergencies to leave immediately without taking a hit to their stats, but keep game-hoppers from abusing the system.

It's a relatively simple but effective system that reduced leavers AT LEAST 60-90% in that game.  Mind you, I played religiously for nearly 5 years, and it was only towards the end of my playing it that they used this system.  It makes a huge difference, not only on the shallow side of game-hopping, but it took root in guilds as they started asking about your dishonorability scores.

I think a system like this is REQUIRED for an arena-style pvp-oriented game to work well.  I hope they work something out to keep the user-base inline with the spirit of the game.

February 12, 2009 4:47:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

lol .. guild wars was exactly the game i was referring to in my previous posts.

and is possibly the best implementation for that game since competitive play can be taken very serious by some players.

Demisoverign.. btw wat was your characters name in gw  =P (i havent played it in a while but i mightve passed u by sometime, but i doubt it lol)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000360   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.