The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[OPINION] Beta 2 - January 19th

thus far...

By on January 19, 2009 5:25:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have to say the newest beta really brings together and tightens up the experience. Perhaps most notable from an overall perspective is the excellent balance of cost for items, both in the normal shop and at the artifact building: acquiring something of significant power is now a rightfully profound accomplishment. The newer higher cost of General Minions paves the way for those Minions to be more powerful/tougher, while providing said Generals with a welcome avenue of long-term Demigod development, both of which are definitely welcome. I respect General Minions even at lower levels now.

Knowing what each flag point does is great - I like referring to them by their monikers (e.g. Valour Flags) but only when I know what those terms stand for. Tying Fortress advances to flag control is an interesting mechanic that helps maintain fights over said flags.

I am a little torn over the level limitations for Demigods. I know such work better in forcing players to develop characters in specific dedicated ways, and it works very well in the game (very well...), but part of me laments the dearth of opportunity to level up further - akin to achieving Level 10 with a capital ship in Sins Of A Solar Empire. Is there nothing more? Can I go no further? I wonder if perhaps some sort of creeping Campaign ceiling might come into play in such an instance, with diminishing returns for extra levels (no new abilities, just subtle stat. improvements beyond 'X' point). That said, again, I like the play.

Sedna seems extremely powerful. Her play-style is quite breezy: synonym being easy. An intersting balance mechanic to try out with her might be to increase the experience she needs to level up by about 10% over that of other Demigods. Again, something to ponder, which I admit might not be in the interests of competitive balance. Yet it could be a quick & easy way to maintain her abilities less any fiddling.

I don`t care for Sedna`s name, simply by virtue of how close it is to "Edna", as in Aunt. Every time I see it I think, "Edna"... . Other than that she is quite fun to utilize.

The Queen Of Thorns is very cool. Nice ground-attack mechanisms for her tree-Minions and herself, great direct-attack spell powers with perfectly steep Energy costs that force us to use potions. LOTS of fun to use. I must say the first time out the gate she seems immaculately balanced.

I think one of her abilities doesn`t quite work or doesn`t have any graphics yet (the culminate Bramble Shield and radiating Thorn top-tier ability which generates rings of thorns every time she uses other skills... can`t recall the name...). I could be wrong.

Thumbs up. Will play more of course.

+18 Karma | 5 Replies
January 19, 2009 5:41:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree totally. but bramble sheild does have an actual and visual effect. not sure on other one.

January 19, 2009 8:09:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yep, but there I`m referring to the top-tier ability that requires both Bramble Shield and the radiating thorn ability at maximum level to acquire... I think its "Thorn Mastery" or something.

January 19, 2009 10:38:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh, k

January 22, 2009 10:35:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I don`t care for Sedna`s name, simply by virtue of how close it is to "Edna", as in Aunt. Every time I see it I think, "Edna"...

Sedna is an Inuit Sea Goddess - hence the harpoon and the walrus yetis (though Sila is supposed to be an invisible wind god, not a central Asian Snow Leopard, AFAIK)

January 22, 2009 6:37:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Interesting.

Inuit mythology versus Simpsons mythology.

(!)

(kidding)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000063   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.