Connections are worse with the latest beta

ugh!!!!!!!!!!

By on January 17, 2009 1:35:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

panentheist

Join Date 02/2008

I cannot believe I went from being able to connect 5% of the time to 0% with the latest beta. And to add further frustration, it takes me 5-6 tries to log-in now (before it took once) When can we expect some relief on this unworkable beta?

Locked Post 22 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 17, 2009 1:47:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We're seeing successful connections at around 50%. A bit less than what we had hoped for for this build.

But no where near 0%.  We're working on it.

January 17, 2009 2:08:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, I had about 50% success. But I also spend longer connecting, so the time until I get to play is about the same.

Edit: That statement should be considered with the fact that I, as a person trying to connect, does not automatically stop trying if the game is closed, starts or disappears from the server list.

In the last build we restarted demigod each time we tried connecting, that doesn't seem necessary any more.

January 17, 2009 2:28:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ah, good to know Frogboy - I personally haven't managed to connect yet, but this gives me hope to keep trying

January 17, 2009 2:28:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

was that 50% with all computers on the same internal network, because I have absolutely no problem joining any game which is hosted by my brothers computer and could only get 1 game with 4 players going in 3 hours of trying.

January 17, 2009 2:53:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I haven't had any problems yet getting 2v2 or 3v3 going online...though you do have to let it "try to connect" for a while, and I still log out or restart inbetween games or successful connecitons.

January 17, 2009 3:01:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The connection work much better for me now.

January 17, 2009 5:37:46 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Here are some problems we've found so far today:

1. If you have played a game online already, something isn't being reset and as a result, the game won't let you connect to a second game because it thinks you're still in a game.  So after a game, you will need to restart Demigod for now.

2. We are running into a bug where the Game ID being sent to the server isn't right and thus tries to connect the wrong players which, of course, results in the player not being able to connect OR get players into their game.

3. Games lag on the server far too long when they've been started or closed. The client isn't telling the player that a game has started or that the game is no longer available.  We have updated the server to decrease the lag time that games are displayed but the client (the game) will need to handle the error codes the server sends back.

Those 3 things represent much of the pain.

January 17, 2009 5:44:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Here are some problems we've found so far today:

1. If you have played a game online already, something isn't being reset and as a result, the game won't let you connect to a second game because it thinks you're still in a game.  So after a game, you will need to restart Demigod for now.

2. We are running into a bug where the Game ID being sent to the server isn't right and thus tries to connect the wrong players which, of course, results in the player not being able to connect OR get players into their game.

3. Games lag on the server far too long when they've been started or closed. The client isn't telling the player that a game has started or that the game is no longer available.  We have updated the server to decrease the lag time that games are displayed but the client (the game) will need to handle the error codes the server sends back.

Those 3 things represent much of the pain.
Knowing is half the battle.  Great work (and on a weekend too).

January 17, 2009 5:52:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Zubaz,

Knowing is half the battle. 

The other half is strategy. 

January 17, 2009 6:40:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Big thanks to Ragarth, mogglepies, ranbir, xan, heavnefall for hanging out with us on IRC and helping us test all kinds of different networking scenarios.

January 17, 2009 6:56:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Was i part of that test in that 1 game because u and Xan were in it to. Also I have found I have gotten into more games

January 17, 2009 7:13:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Anytime Brad... Hopefully the new DLL from CariElf tomorrow will solve some of the problems found .

-Drexion

January 17, 2009 7:55:52 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I recently heard that people can't log in because they have pirated windows, now i'm not normally one to complain but i think i'm being called a fucking pirate, hey and i was excited by this game but now i'm having second thoughts because the devs are jumping extremely quickly to conclusions before it seems they have even looked into the problem

January 17, 2009 8:40:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RavingLuney,
I recently heard that people can't log in because they have pirated windows, now i'm not normally one to complain but i think i'm being called a fucking pirate, hey and i was excited by this game but now i'm having second thoughts because the devs are jumping extremely quickly to conclusions before it seems they have even looked into the problem
I'm sure they had evidence of some instances.  I'm sure with more data it will be resolved.

January 17, 2009 9:28:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i don't know how Reactor works under the hood, but could it require some of the components that a pirated Windows normally has disabled? like the BITS service. that may explain a correlation between pirated Windows and connection issues.

January 18, 2009 7:29:06 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

is it me or they changed something on their end? connection seems good now. Yesterday it was all bad.

January 18, 2009 11:06:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RavingLuney,

Calm down.  Having a pirated version of Windows XP can prevent logging in because there is a security feature or something in normal Windows that Impulse uses but which pirated versions don't have.  That doesn't mean that everyone who has the log-in issue has a pirated version of Windows, just that some of them do.

January 18, 2009 12:24:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting RavingLuney,

Most people who can't logon can't because they ordered under a different email.

But the most common crack for XP also causes it and we've seen lots of both.

January 19, 2009 7:41:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Exactly what "Security Feature or something" is supposedly missing from a pirated copy of XP?  That sounds really fishy to me.

January 19, 2009 7:50:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

so what help can we do to better help you (SD) fix some of these network issues in time for the thursday Beta 3?

January 20, 2009 9:03:20 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We've been trying a new impulsereactor out in the irc channel, and well, there's been significant progress with the netcode is all I can say.

January 20, 2009 2:02:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
We've been trying a new impulsereactor out in the irc channel, and well, there's been significant progress with the netcode is all I can say.

Yes, there seem to be huge improvements in the new dll.  I can't wait to see how it works in game.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000265   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright © 2016 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. © 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.