The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[IDEA] Major Flag - EarthStone

Game changer, point of major contention...

By on January 15, 2009 12:32:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Major Flag - EarthStone

I was thinking about what abilities players would definitely scrap over - what kind of effect players would be compelled to try to gain & maintain control of. It has to be something with considerable potential to alter the course of combat events regardless of Demigod level.

EarthStone

An alchemical treasure point that, when captured, causes all enemy potions to deliver the opposite of their effects. Health potions will damage imbibers for their regular healing value, Energy potions will subtract from an enemy`s Energy pool, etc. .

This flag point would take a while to convert to your side.

Hopefully such a point would induce constant confrontation - the effect seems substantial enough that it logically would. Such an effect I think also has the potential to turn the tide of a battle that is otherwise in the favour of a foe, the usefulness of potion items being so paramount to gameplay at almost any stage.

+18 Karma | 11 Replies
January 15, 2009 1:19:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow I like this idea.  Much color than the generic mine (gold) flag.  Not sure I would fight over this, as I never use consumables.

January 15, 2009 4:48:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yea I like this idea also but somtimes I never touch potions for whole games. If you go into a battle with a HP pot but the enemy doesnt you'r at an advantage so I can see why a player would want to fight for it in some cases.

January 15, 2009 5:54:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sounds a bit "big" to me. Maybe a 30-50% reduction in efficiency would be more in line?

January 15, 2009 11:58:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I`d keep it full effect, although I would by no means feature such a thing on many maps. Other control points *like it* though would be cool. No further ideas on what those could be, but maybe more will strike me in time. Something like this is supposed to be big, yet indirect.

January 17, 2009 11:05:08 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Do that and no-one will touch potions again.

January 17, 2009 11:27:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you control the flag you will. Besides, this is a point (to be) featured on certain maps, hardly all of them.

January 19, 2009 7:46:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I generally tend to take potions, at least in the early game. They help a lot, because I have a tendency to bring the more fragile demigods into battle, and because, putting it plainly, I suck.

A flag like this is something I would definitely fight to take and keep. However, I worry about the consequences of owning said flag on momentum. Should one team take a flag, stacking potions for the side with it suddenly becomes extremely attractive because the opponents can't use them at all.

That said, the idea of a flag that affects potion usage is appealing. I'd prefer the suggestion mentioned above for reducing the effectiveness of the potions though.

January 23, 2009 9:52:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

with such a powerful effect, i think it should have a negative effect on the users also.

because the capturers of the flag will be able to use potions and stuff;

- a constant health degen should be applied to them but not at a very fast rate

- or creeps do double damage

- or armor deficiency etc.

since the opposing team will be somewhat forced to not use potions, the capturers will be forced to heal every now and them at the expense of gold at the same time.

This negative effect will also be something both teams would think about before capturing. But force them to think fast before the other team take the upper hand.

January 23, 2009 10:29:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting gkrit,
with such a powerful effect, i think it should have a negative effect on the users also.

because the capturers of the flag will be able to use potions and stuff;

- a constant health degen should be applied to them but not at a very fast rate

- or creeps do double damage

- or armor deficiency etc.

since the opposing team will be somewhat forced to not use potions, the capturers will be forced to heal every now and them at the expense of gold at the same time.

This negative effect will also be something both teams would think about before capturing. But force them to think fast before the other team take the upper hand.

Hmmm. As long as the capture of the flag indeed still gives them the upper hand. If a flag imparts a negative, you then might be encouraging players to *not* capture the flag...

January 23, 2009 10:43:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

but i think thats a good thing in one way

if you own the flag that gives you more creeps per wave (and the negative effect was creeps do double dmg), you could play it strategically according to that. so your kinda forced to cap another flag before u cap the major flag.

you just gotta work the negative in a way so that it can be played in a strategic way but benefit the user more at the same time. Anything is possible, just gotta think of em.

January 24, 2009 8:37:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Possible...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.