The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

IT'S ALIVE!!!

By on January 13, 2009 8:27:37 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

IT VORKS! VY VUNDERVUL VEATION VORKS! Anyways enough mock german. I am ofcourse reffereing tro my new computer!!! WOO NOW I CAN PLAY SINS (or demigod) HJIGHEST SETTINGS!!! Turns out the stick of RAM I had in the computer was dead but my other stick wasn't. I wonder if I can send back just one stick to newegg.

Anyways I'll be getting lots of reviews of my new hardware and LOADS of HD Youtube gameplay videos of my games collection (Including TFC and the original Day of Defeat )

I r so happy

+30 Karma | 8 Replies
January 13, 2009 10:49:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

TF2 looks ubar good (shiny pyros) and so does CoH (with 2x AA I usually get around 35 FPS, would more RAM allow me to increase the AA and get better framerates? Cuz I don't see why the card would be having issues).

Stinks that this monitor is pretty poo though :/

January 14, 2009 4:34:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

TF2 looks ubar good (shiny pyros) and so does CoH (with 2x AA I usually get around 35 FPS, would more RAM allow me to increase the AA and get better framerates? Cuz I don't see why the card would be having issues).

Framerates are generally boosted by faster cpu's for processor intensive games, or more powerful videocards with more video memory for video intensive games (or a combination of the two).  Having more computer RAM probably won't boost your framerate UNLESS you didn't have enough to begin with and the processor was being impacted by having to constantly swap memory to the hard drive.

Generally a games performance is limited by whatever is the bottleneck.  For example, my computer processor is an old 3200+ AMD Athlon with 2GB RAM, but it has a maxed out Invidia 7800 AGP card...I know this sounds old now, but it is one of the fastest video cards I could stick in this computer and is more than sufficient to play Sins...my bottleneck is my processor.

Without really knowing the games in question, it is hard for me to say what is needed to increase your framerate...probably look on a message board related to that game and see what people say works for them.  Most games are fine with 2-4GB RAM and are not going to get faster as long as they have the amount they need.

January 14, 2009 11:13:31 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's a Q8200 Quad Core (2.33 GHz, I'm thinking about OCing after doing the memtest and stuff but I'm not sure sicne I don't really know what I'm doing). I will be getting a 1080p screen soon, so more RAM would help with keeping framerates higher at higher resolutins right? Eh I don't even get what AA is (makes things smoother?), not like it matters.

January 14, 2009 11:22:38 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

AA gets rid of the "jaggies" along the edges of things, so yes it makes things smoother. I believe AA itself is more on the GPU than CPU. When testing CPU bottlenecks it seems to be recommended to turn off AA. I think that is due to it possible tainting the test with a GPU intesive feature. I'm no expert though .

January 14, 2009 11:26:16 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I think more / faster RAM on the video card would be more important on high resolutions than 'normal' RAM?

Concerning OC: If you don't know what you're doing there, don't. Especially as a quadcore should be enough to run pretty much anything on the market without endangering your hardware and voiding any warranties.

January 14, 2009 11:49:48 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Newegg is very good about returning deffective componets, I have never had any trouble with them.  They offer only good hardware, at extremely competitive prices and have never given me any resistance when I return something.  I used to work at a university and Newegg was where we shopped first.  After so much good service from them, it wasnt worth the few dollars we would save at another retailer.

January 14, 2009 12:27:27 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Turns out the stick of RAM I had in the computer was dead but my other stick wasn't.

I so f'ing called it =p. I had a computer not work for the same reason a while back.

Glad to hear your computer works now.

I believe AA itself is more on the GPU than CPU.

Pretty sure it's all on the video card, it's the hardest setting, I think it's essentially multiplying the number of pixels onscreen by the ?x and then averaging them out to make it look smooth.

January 14, 2009 1:20:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Video GPU and Memory on the Video Card is what helps you maintain high framerates at higher resolutions on your new monitor, not additional computer memory.  And for the someone who repeatedly acknowledges they don't know what they are doing, I would agree with the previous poster that you probably shouldn't mess with overclocking.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.