The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[Balance] The Rook

Giving the retarded a helping hand...

By on December 30, 2008 9:45:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OK maybe it is me but I think the Rock is seriously lacking in all regards. Surprisingly this is the one avatar I really don’t like visually. However it is closest to my play style out of all of the current options so I keep trying with it.

In short I'm no longer convinced it is underpowered because of my noobness. I have died going head to hear against AI generals mono on mono when starting with full health. There are some spells that simply destroy it in short order. For example the ice and ring of fire spells when double applied within seconds of each other after a stun an the Rock is toast.

Hell even without the stun it cant move fast to begin with so it hardly ever gets out of the way. The stun is the insult to injury I guess. I often find myself thinking it is like the overgrown mentally challenged kid from the neighborhood that everyone likes to pick on - it is really very sad... Anyway, my suggestions for it are as follows:

1. Immune to stuns
  2. Ability to heal structures
  3. Weapon selection - please
  4. A far better upgrade path
  5. More starting HPs
  6. Less manna related dependence - please

For what it is worth, I see the Rock as a tank on the one side and a combat engineer on the other. For example instead of "towers of light" how about micro volcanoes or even lava flows or my personal favorite a stone wall for a special ability.

+171 Karma | 26 Replies
December 30, 2008 10:09:44 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I've said it elsewhere in the Generals thread, but I've never thought rook to be a pure Demigod fighter; his high defence capability, low speed and high HP make him ideal for taking down defences though. There's also much to be said for his ability to leech health from his own summoned structures, and his hammer strike deals heavy damage if you can connect with it (a big if, I know).

With a little more balance (higher initial damage and some higher HP) he'd be a more viable demigod fighter, but I'm not sure that's what the designers were going for; he always struck me as a mobile siege engine, with the ability to tank while his team mates flit around him focussing on the enemy demigods trying to take him out. Oak and Rook for example work very well in tandem.

I must say though, as the posterchild for Demigod I did expect slightly more of him.

December 30, 2008 10:34:51 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

One way Rook really shines is as one half of a killteam.  Pair him with Erebus or Torchbearer and watch the player kills roll in.  The partner brings the speed and initial stun long enough for Rook to bring Boulder in on an already stunned opponent and then Hammerslam ftw.  Slow speed can be offset by achiev. anklet and swift boots, but it's the stunlocking + hammerslam + archers that really brings the pain.   

Alternatively, he is a great siege weapon and towers are always excellent flag defense. 

I think the devs are already working on this, but Boulder needs to synergize a little less effectively with other stuns (stunlocks are boring) and towers need some love.  Also in the works, I'm sure, are Regulus-style ultimates.

December 30, 2008 10:40:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

@Mooglepies - I concur with all your points. I as well expected more from it as the poster child. It is also not the siege master either. Sadly when I use it, with maxxed out equipment, to attack towers it always gets killed when going against a tower with another nearby and three towers are sure death before any real damage takes place on any towers. It simply moves and casts to slow. It is like a super large creep in that regard. I often see it hit for 700+ points of damage in one blast. Then I try to run away and get blasted in the back and drop like a rock (pun intended).

@Ke5trel - In a HK team situation like you suggested yes it is good but when playing with all AI opponents that situation is simply not in the cards. I think the ability for the avatars be able to function solo in a purely AI game solo should be the higher priority over the team play element. I also hope the changes you suggest are on the way soon.

For flag defense, IF it had the ability to heal towers then it would rock. As it stands now I cant really chase the AI around the tower and hammer is nearly impossible to hit. They just run circles around me. Additionally the towers drop so damn fast it is not even funny. I no sooner create one then finish the second one and the first one is gone. If I have AI help which is often not the case I can do some damage but otherwise it is an exercise in futility.

December 30, 2008 10:52:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would really look at my equipment, Spartan, because a fully-kitted Rook shouldn't be dropping like that unless you are speccing glass cannon. 

December 30, 2008 11:04:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm... I'm not sure. I get the most expensive stuff but most of it deals with mana and not the rocks natural strengths. I want to do a game with a real person in about 20 minutes if you are interested in going one on one. It might simply be my play style. If you use Ventrilo I have a server running at:

IP: V05.DARKSTARLLC.COM Port: 27795

December 30, 2008 11:19:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

would love to if I weren't working

I'll be on tomorrow morning 10:30 EST for a little more than an hour if you want to try it then.  Meantime, look at upping his stats and picking items that increase movement and attack speed/power, armor, and health, see how that works

December 30, 2008 11:23:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I have done so based on the item descriptions. Maybe I'm failing to see the obvious here or the descriptions are misleading.

Well I just tried a one vs one against the angle and I could not ever get him close enough to hit the guy but he ALWAYS hit me for over 700 points every shot and even out of sight most of the time. The Rook has serious issues. On the few times the boulders would hit I could never get a hammer swing before he moved. I also tried to commo with him in game many times but could not - WTF? How does one chat with the enemy in game? It makes things hard to test.

I never killed him once and he killed me over 10 times. I could not get close enough to even try to so at all. It was no fun and very frustrating he had speed, range and power on me. If this was a finished product and I had a couple more games like that I would just give up and stop playing the game.

December 30, 2008 12:49:58 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

?????????

Imho the Rook is one of the most balanced and powerfull DG there is.

When I play the Rook, my kills get doubled. You are just plaaying this game wrong. Or we are not playing the same game... His HS is good, although against humanplayers its less so it does insane dmg, he is great with a teammate, the Rook Roll is insanely good, strurteral drainage is not the best, but can be very usefull, PoT is kinda weak but not its good enough.

Oh btw, the speed argument is flawed, all vanilla DG speed is 7.

December 30, 2008 12:55:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just played a solo as Regulus and he is far more suited for a combat engineer then Rook. Those ever present mines are great. I'm sure Rook rocks in team play it is solo that I have issues with. As to speed Rook - at least for me does not move fast enough to get in close to hit. Only after boots do I even have a chance. Moreover Regulus moves far faster then Rook so I firmly disagree that the speed argument is flawed.

December 30, 2008 1:08:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I also tried to commo with him in game many times but could not - WTF? How does one chat with the enemy in game? It makes things hard to test.

Shift + Enter

December 30, 2008 1:53:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks. I really hate to bail on games especially when losing as it is in bad form but I could not commo with him as fast as I would spawn he would jack me with sniper shots.

Update: I just finished my third game as the Angle playing against the AI with Rooks and they could not touch me with me not being careful but they did not kill me once. I on the other hand got nearly two dozen kills. So I don’t think it is my play style as Rook.

December 30, 2008 3:11:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Update: I just finished my third game as the Angle playing against the AI with Rooks and they could not touch me with me not being careful but they did not kill me once. I on the other hand got nearly two dozen kills. So I don’t think it is my play style as Rook.

Hmmm, what level were the AI?  Try a 1v1 game as Regulus (the Angel) against a Nightmare Rook on Prison.  Nightmare AI is pretty good at showing the potential of a given Demigod. 

Personally, I suck at Rook but there are people who play Rook well.  I probably wouldn't play as Rook 1 v 1 against a good Regulus, since Reg was pretty much made to be a giant-killer, but that doesn't change the fact that a good Rook is valuable in team games or against other opponents 1 v 1...

December 30, 2008 3:35:19 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Sure I agree on the team element. Additionally the AI was normal but I did play solo against two of them and I played on all three maps.

I assumed the AI levels were faster XP only. Is that a correct understanding?

December 30, 2008 3:48:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good question.  Devs?

My instinct is to say there is more to it.  You see a nightmare Erebus using his abilities in ways a normal Erebus just doesn't.  At this point all the AI lack self-preservation instincts, but devs have confirmed they are tweaking that.   

December 30, 2008 4:57:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hmm... Interesting, I finished a game with the beast and it always ran from me when its health dropped below half. In fact it do so often enough that I had to preplan its escape path and toss mines first then go for the snipe shots.

December 30, 2008 5:09:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Right, but you'll see a Nightmare AI at full health pursue a player DG at half-health all the way to the player's citadel, where of course the AI dies.  The current risk assessment from multiple vectors has blindspots.   

December 30, 2008 6:10:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ke5trel,

Good question.  Devs?

My instinct is to say there is more to it.  You see a nightmare Erebus using his abilities in ways a normal Erebus just doesn't.  At this point all the AI lack self-preservation instincts, but devs have confirmed they are tweaking that.   

(offtopic) It would be nice if there was a way to get the smarter AI without the XP bonus.  Right now it's just not possible to keep up with the AI at tougher levels, so the Demigod-vs-Demigod part of the game is completely lost (against a harder AI the game is generally decided by capturing flags and buying creep upgrades, because any time its Demigod gets near yours, you get killed near-instantly).

December 30, 2008 11:37:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The Rock is seriously lacking in all regards. [/quote]

I disagree.  He starts off underpowered but once you get him equiped and leveled he is OK.

'Bowling for coins' is one of the best abilites in the game.  Longest range stun in the game, does great damage as well (Hom many other stuns in the game do damage?)

Rock is insane when defending within the range of the Tower of Light chain.

Rock is almost useless outside the range of your Tower of Light chaiin (Other then bowling for coins).

I have died going head to head against AI generals mono on mono when starting with full health. There are some spells that simply destroy it in short order. For example the ice and ring of fire spells when double applied within seconds of each other after a stun an the Rock is toast. 

Stuns kill everyone without a movement power.  Speed upgrades can be used to make the melee Demigods almost useless.

[quote quoting="post"]My suggestions for it are as follows:

Immune to stuns
Ability to heal structures
Weapon selection - please
A far better upgrade path
More starting HPs
Less manna related dependence - please

How about;

50% stun reduction?
Ability to heal structures (Hold shift when casting the damage structure to heal your self to reverse the spell)
Weapon selection - please - Rock looks mentally damaged bending over to smack units around with an open hand when he is holding a huge hammer.
More starting Armour.
Less manna related dependence - please

Sammual

December 31, 2008 3:20:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That would be fine especially if the dev do a layering thing for the stuns.

December 31, 2008 7:16:05 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Speed is the same for regulus and the Rook. But... Regulus has an ability called maim which slows down anyone he shoots... so yeah.

Rook Roll + Hammertime will still make an end to that pesky angel.

January 2, 2009 3:46:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

For what the Rook is best suited at (siege) he excels; as for his DG killing he is decent. He combines massive health and armor with a great wep. dmg. His crap movement speed is easily made-up by items, or by his rock roll stopping enemies.

The only thing that should change about the Rook is his stun time (lessen) and his structural transfer (crap at the later levels)

January 2, 2009 4:15:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well I Haven't played it yet with any persistent equipment. Maybe that makes all the difference. We shall see...

January 3, 2009 1:17:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree with spoogle monster

January 7, 2009 3:46:34 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

TBH i just played Rook against 5 nightmare level AI and with only 3 other AI, but in the end i have 47 kills and only 4 assists.  Game time only 30 minutes.  I know its not much to say because playing against AI isn't much to show, but it rules out all these arguments that rook is underpowered and sucks.

I'm sure players are going to outsmart him from time to time, but the rook player just need to outsmart the other one in return.  Buying the correct items can ensure that he can be just as fast as any other, (the boots that give +50% move, chance when take damage).  And honestly, once i reached level 25, i didn't have one point in the structural drain, its almost pointless unless u want to stand still taking damage risking death, just to damage a tower for only 1500?  I hit towers for 400-500 which would be faster than draining.  I only see this ability being useful for single player if needed.

But honestly, the rock throw has very long range, and i don't know why anyone is complaining about it.  Along with the 5 second stun, you all say you can't get his hammer bash off.  Pretty sad to be honest. 

Also constructing the light tower is important not as a standalone structure, but to link your bases light towers with this one, to conduct a large range light beam jumping from your base, then to your constructed ones through yourself for a lot of damage.  Hence the low health reason.

But again like i said, with the correct items he is a ruthless warrior and doesn't need changed at all.

January 7, 2009 4:54:21 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

From my experience playing against it with other players, the rook is quite balanced. Spartan consider that he may not be your playstyle after all. It seems that Regulus is more close to your rhythm.

Thing is, from a balance perspective we need solid arguments to show why a DG is not powerful enough and that can come only through extensive multiplayer. Unfortunately the impression from reading your comments is that you are simply not experienced enough.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000469   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.