The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Camping

something that should rather not be seen...

By on December 16, 2008 9:06:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If permanent rewards are gained in-game, is it then possible to linger in one game and "farm" the permanent items, so that in relatively fewer games, you've built your character to a somewhat "maximum"?

+3 Karma | 15 Replies
December 16, 2008 9:15:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that there are limitations, for example you can't gain more than X amount of points from a certain cdkey in a given time.

December 16, 2008 9:30:57 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hopefully there isn't going to be a "final" set of items.

Or that after 200 hours, I'd be done with this game

Played over 10,000 hours of DotA, and STILL haven't reached a roof.

December 16, 2008 9:31:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm going to ask you to please kindly stop posting nonsense Fire-Ice. Your question makes little sense, mainly because you do not explain your random train of thought that no one else can board - and frankly it's clear you have yet to play the game. So what brings about this needless question?

December 16, 2008 9:43:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yes, I have yet to play the game.

I would therefore have a lot of questions.Call it anxiety for the beta I just hopped on, but at least you weren't too mean about it. I understand that a lot of people aren't going to quite "get" what I say. It's a question to anyone who can answer. Whether or not you personally can answer it is not my business.

December 16, 2008 9:47:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We don't have that system yet, so the beta testers don't know.

Still, 200 hours sounds like a good deal to me.

December 16, 2008 9:51:54 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Putting any limit of hours played in order to unlock something seems a bit silly. 200 hours sounds pretty decent though for a game. But more would appeal to the hardcore gamer. Or none at all would keep me playing this game 

December 16, 2008 10:14:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe Im completely wrong. But items that last are for tournaments and campaign only I beleive. In normal matches everyone starts at the same playing feild. because if it was like what your saying than people who play alot will rule and those who dodn't will lose. Orlean knight I think has a large post about the game I suggest u read no offense I asked alot of stupid questions. This one isn't but I just suggest it.

December 16, 2008 10:18:48 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I did read his post. It's informative.

December 16, 2008 10:44:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Fire-Ice,
Putting any limit of hours played in order to unlock something seems a bit silly. 200 hours sounds pretty decent though for a game. But more would appeal to the hardcore gamer. Or none at all would keep me playing this game 

From the looks of things thwe system is point based.  Those who played beta 1b saw that on the victory screen there were points awarded.  You recieve points for your score and bonus points for awards such as unstoppable, mvp, and team player.  These poiints can be used to by items usable as an item in future matches.   The items do hold over from match to match and likely won't have ridiculous requirements from what we have seen from previews.  In regular skirmish matches persistant items can be disabled to level the playing field.

December 16, 2008 10:45:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There will also likely be a dimishing return to sitting around and attempting to camp.

December 16, 2008 10:49:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for the clear-up on that Trigeminal.

December 17, 2008 7:49:09 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If you just camp in one game you will get no points....therefore this wont be a problem.

"Maybe Im completely wrong. But items that last are for tournaments and campaign only I beleive. In normal matches everyone starts at the same playing feild. because if it was like what your saying than people who play alot will rule and those who dodn't will lose. Orlean knight I think has a large post about the game I suggest u read no offense I asked alot of stupid questions. This one isn't but I just suggest it."

I think tournaments are for competitive play, and that giving other people advantages just because they have played more nubs than u and got more points isnt really for competitive play, so i assume tournies will use the normal mode of playing - if not the permanent mode aswell.

December 17, 2008 9:57:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Orleans, bro, relaaax    Costs us nothing to answer a question or two. 

Reading between the lines -

Persistent items will follow the Team Fortress Two model.  They allow new abilities and buffs but are carefully balanced so that my first hour as a Heavy I can completely destroy your 1000 hour Pyro. 

As Trigeminal says, persistent items are are point-based, and should not represent a ceiling to play.  In tournament play I think points can also be used to advance your character or pull someone else back a rung, so you have a nice strategic choice here. 

Camping a skirmish will be far less effective on a point basis than playing a new game, as there will be a limited number of points available in any given game. 

December 17, 2008 10:02:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thanks for that, it seems I'm getting ahead of myself replying to messages whilst repeating what others end up saying in reply to my other posts.

At least the information is getting out, though

December 17, 2008 12:43:41 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Yeah not bad questions fire-ice.  Maybe some people think they are stupid but I know that a lot of people want to ask the same thing or hadn't even thought of it and are glad they now know.  You are free to ask as many damn questions on this you want as long as they are related to the topic.  If these guys don't like it they can just no respond or post links to the answer.  It is good to have a lot of questions and want to talk about the game that is pretty much the point of these forums I thought.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000562   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.