The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

STEAM

By on December 11, 2008 3:38:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

gazcrowbar

Join Date 12/2008

Simply allow this game to be sold via valve's steam software. Would instantly access a wider market and sell a lot more!

Locked Post 52 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 21, 2009 5:00:10 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

in the past i have hated steam with a vengance, it got so bad that i quit CS and played UT basted games for a few years.

i recently reinstalled it and its pretty stable noweven remembers my games owned from 5 years or more ago. i have bought a few games with it, and all have worked flawlesly so far.

now compare that withmy impulse experiences.

i bought DemiGod online. created an account, specified an email address, login name and password.  got to the paying section chose paypal, paid, intalled impulse client, downloaded the demigod game.

tried registering using the email i entered when buying. got an error saying i had enterd it wrong, tried a few more times before having  to post in support asking wtf was going on.eventualy (a day after buying the game) i was told that when you buy with paypal it registers the game to your paypal email... WHAT THE FSCK?!  so i finaly get to activate the game and launch it, play for a day or so single player then decide to go online, guess what happens?

incorrect username / password. thats right, it had not only associated my paypal mail with the registration, it had also somehow made a 2nd impulse accnt that i dont know about and thats what i needed to log in with (or as it turns out transfer from 1 "account which i never made and realy shouldnt exist" to the account i actualy did make, and did register, and did buy the game on. 

overall this has been the single worst game or software purchasing experience i have ever had, impulse is a complete waste of time and space, i never thought i would hear myself saying this but steam is a damn site better.

April 21, 2009 5:02:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

double post cos this forum seems to take about 5 minutes to show a new post after you submit ><

April 22, 2009 3:41:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

now that is pure gold... Steam doesnt have that problem with PayPal...

also frogboy closed another thread on Demigod through steam when someone mentioned that Impulse stores passwords in plain text, as a user I would have liked to reply asking for proof (PM'd already) and to close the thread like that makes it look mighty suspicious....

April 22, 2009 4:39:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Impulse stores passwords in plain text

Is it Impulse that stores password in plain text or is it Demigod?

April 22, 2009 7:59:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm liking both right now.  I bought SoSE, and had no problems.  When I was in the beta for steam, I was lucky enough to avoid client side problems.  Now, it runs great for me.  The only complaint is the updating system.  It seems stall/not work properly at at times.  I wouldn't say that is a strike against steam.  When I first tried to update Demigod, I had to retry the update twice before it would start.  Nothing is perfect.

Steam is starting to make source mods more accessible through the use of steam works, as well.  That's a huge plus. 

I also like that I can add non-steam games to my game list.  Most of the people I game with are on my steam friends, so it's nice to have the overlay in any game.

Quoting Kane3162,

closed another thread on Demigod through steam when someone mentioned that Impulse stores passwords in plain text, as a user I would have liked to reply asking for proof (PM'd already) and to close the thread like that makes it look mighty suspicious....

I would like to see this addressed as well.

April 22, 2009 8:24:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Impulse doesn't store passwords in text. If you select to save password when you log into Demigod's multiplayer, it adds it to a prefs file in Demigod's user path that is in text.

Also, the whole "put the game on Steam!!!!" pops up with every release. Sins had it too. It isn't going to be on Steam. Get over it.

April 22, 2009 9:53:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
Impulse doesn't store passwords in text. If you select to save password when you log into Demigod's multiplayer, it adds it to a prefs file in Demigod's user path that is in text.

Also, the whole "put the game on Steam!!!!" pops up with every release. Sins had it too. It isn't going to be on Steam. Get over it.

simply put, we will not get over it, its alot of peoples launch platform of choice, if it happens or not doesnt matter at least we the CUSTOMER are letting the COMPANY that we ARE/HAVE/WOULD potentially buy from what our preference is thus most likly increasing a chance for a SALE!

as for the password I god ahold of the prefererences file (thx friend you know who you are) and its DEMIGOD that saves the password, no matter what you say GPG or Stardock(Impulse) it doesnt matter the password saved IS FOR Impulse:

console_size = 5,
            LastHero = 'namehere',
            ImpulsePassword = <PASSWORD IS RIGHT HERE IN PLAIN TEXT OMFG GG KK THX>

Would you look at that!!! its the password for your Impulse account!!! (FLAW/BIGPROBLEM/OOPS/SEARCH ImpulsePassword and find it for yourself) (also see here for the one who origionally tipped me off      https://forums.demigodthegame.com/347380/#0   )

And with that im done trooling (at 22 it still never gets old) and will find someone to buy my other game (Sins) for $5 since Im definitly not into letting my password be stored in PLAINTEXT if i want to use the Impulse client (read: I dont) thus making it not installed on my system.

April 22, 2009 10:05:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

We have talked to GPG about not storing user data in their prefs file. That has nothing to do with Impulse.   

As for Demigod or Sins being on Steam, it'll happen as soon as Left4Dead, etc. are on Impulse.

April 23, 2009 1:26:50 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

forgboy, again i tell you L4D and TF2 along with others are closly integrated with Steam, your constatnt use of that argument is flawed, when Impulse has a game matching system / content servers / friend system not requireing a 3rd party (which i can find 3 that are usefully/prettymuch needed for Sins and Demigod) solution, then you will be able to use that arguement, untill then find something else as you are making yourself look more and more retarded (youve said it 5 times now and its still as invalid as it was the first time)

Additionally as it says ImpulsePassword, apparently it DOES have SOMETHING to do with Impulse (I was told the password he used to sign into Impulse was the same as the one listed, so please stop trying to deny it)

April 23, 2009 2:44:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

People mostly attribute Steam's success to being the first major developer/publisher to produce a DDN and putting enough time into it to ensure it snow-balled into what it's become today. 

I attribute Steam's success to the fact they shackled it to Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source which, at their release, were the most sought after games in history. They forced every Half-Life 2 player to use Steam, ensuring people had the program on their computer, just to play the bloody game. On today's machines it sucks performance away for no apparant reason; upon it's release it froze my computer for the better part of an hour updating and decrypting Half-Life 2. I couldn't even play Solitare while I waited. Needless to say I refuse to buy games through Steam.

Impulse, however, didn't need to do much to sell me. They don't have the, frankly, impressive line-up of games that Steam has - but at least I can play Solitare while I wait for my games to update. Impulse also doesn't chew away the performance of your computer in-game and bombard you with needless messages and advertising upon starting the program. Stardock don't seem terribly concerned to reply to their customers - Valve took nearly three days to send me an automated message telling me my query had been received and would be addressed shortly. And, most importantly, Impulse is not coloured baby-shit green by default.

April 23, 2009 8:43:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

simply put, we will not get over it

That's up to you. If you like beating your head against the wall, feel free.

July 1, 2009 2:35:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

My original post about steam was not about demigod being sold on steam. I simply wish to be able to use the overlay on demigod as the impulse overlay sometimes doesnt work and impulse goes down. All my friends are on steam and do not run impulse whatsoever. I am not saying steam is any better, i simply dont want to be forced to use just impulse. Also as far as i am aware it is not easy to talk to friends without the game being open, and even then it seems to have delays relaying the messages. Having the steam overlay work would make my life and getting a game with friends so much easier, and would make me recommend this game to friends so i can play with them.

July 1, 2009 8:48:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If I'm not mistaken, Demigod doesn't require Impulse to be running in the background. Adding Demigod to your list of Steam Games should enable the use of the Steam overlay while Demigod is running. You may need to remove the Impulse Overlay DLL to ensure this.

July 1, 2009 10:54:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I use both impulse and steam actually. Steam is almost always the better program right now however. It simply has more and better features.  You have some anecdotes about it not working right? You aren't necessarily the majority, or close to it.

July 2, 2009 8:32:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Steam is right up there with SecuROM, Starforce, Tages in terms of DRM...  Impulse is simply a distribution network/community thingie that isnt required to be installed to run games and doesn't require you to be online to install or play the game or limit the number of installs etc etc etc.. So bah to steam (I'll never play half-life 2 because of that crap oh well)

Tho they do sell games with DRM like Tages on them on Impulse, but that's a different issue...

July 20, 2009 2:12:27 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How do i remove the impulse dll? Will this still allow me to use impulse if i need to?

July 20, 2009 5:10:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

How do i remove the impulse dll?

Why do you want to remove this dll? What does it do that annoys you?

July 20, 2009 5:54:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

no you cant remove the dll, .dll files are always important to the program in question.

and to the topic: well it would maby make more people buy the game, I have never like steam though.. but I have it as I bought the Orange Box ^^

(and also if youre not buying the "CD" you are actually not buying anything?)

July 20, 2009 8:28:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting UnrealShadow,
no you cant remove the dll, .dll files are always important to the program in question.

The Impulse Overlay file can be removed without causing any issues with either Impulse or Demigod. It simply removes the overlay that is accessed by pressing Shift+Tab.

July 21, 2009 5:58:33 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Peace Phoenix,

How do i remove the impulse dll?
Why do you want to remove this dll? What does it do that annoys you?

Well all my friends are on steam and it would be much easier for me to play a game with them on demigod if i had the overlay, currently the chat feature on demigod only works in-game and doesnt warn you when you get a message; my friends do not stay on demigod all the time they are on the pc whereas they keep steam on.

July 21, 2009 5:59:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ZehDon,

Quoting UnrealShadow, reply 18no you cant remove the dll, .dll files are always important to the program in question.
The Impulse Overlay file can be removed without causing any issues with either Impulse or Demigod. It simply removes the overlay that is accessed by pressing Shift+Tab.

How am i able to do this? Thanks in advance.

July 21, 2009 9:23:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Can u simply allow demigod to be openned with steam and impulse at the same time. I find it annoying when i have to alt tab to see a msg sent to me from steam instead of openning it ingame. And since the game randomly crashes when you alt tab, this is a problem.

July 22, 2009 10:56:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting azianinvazn,
Can u simply allow demigod to be openned with steam and impulse at the same time. I find it annoying when i have to alt tab to see a msg sent to me from steam instead of openning it ingame. And since the game randomly crashes when you alt tab, this is a problem.

don't try to run demigod via steam, simply run it in a window. then you dont need to alt-tab.

July 23, 2009 9:47:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well, as far as I'm concered, untill Impulse comes with a function to enable you to change your online name for games (so that I won't have to have my login id as my name) I say Steam > Impulse any day.

January 6, 2010 12:56:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

As for Demigod or Sins being on Steam, it'll happen as soon as Left4Dead, etc. are on Impulse.

That made me giggle. Cant you guys share like good kids? Hehehe

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time: