The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod vs DOTA

By on December 8, 2008 7:42:26 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Hey guys.

I havent had the pleasure getting to play demigod yet, but when beta2 starts i will be all over it. Im just wondering how this game matches up to dota. How similar are they in fact and in your oppinion what is the best of them? One of my biggest conserns is that i heard you can only choose from 8 different demigods opposed to 93 in DOTA. Does the increased options of speccing your hero even this out a bit? This is comming from a guy who has played +5000 games in DOTA so im really worked up about this game.

0 Karma | 212 Replies
December 8, 2008 11:04:55 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OrleanKnight's post is great and very helpful.  I think of the 8 vs 93 as being quality over quantity and allowing you to fine tune your game without an encyclopedia near by.  They are both great games, but one is easy to get into and can focus on refining its elements a bit more because it is not under as much weight.  Also demigod offers more otion such as single player mode, persistant items, and persistant online multiplayer mode.  Check out OK's post and see if this would be up your alley, I know I love it.

December 8, 2008 12:29:15 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

They're many differences between DOTA and Demigod. Demigod might only have 8 heroes, but they go in-depth with each having skill trees to customize each hero. While DOTA with its many heroes you still only have 4 spells. Since i haven't played Demigod yet, but i would believe it to be more balance with 8 heroes vs 93. Some heroes in DOTA are just crazy and overpowered while others are useless. Also Gas Powered Games said that will be releasing new Demigods in the future so no need to worry about the few selection of heroes more will come! Like Trigeminal said quality over quantity. While DOTA only has one map, Demigod has many maps that you can play on. There are also buildings you can capture to turn the tide of battle or help you own even more.

Those are just a few things i can think of read OrleanKnight's post which he link for a very nice detailed summary of the game.

December 8, 2008 3:07:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The General concept is pretty much like Dota, but thats where it ends. I think Demigod can take this kind of genre over the edge. And for me i rahter play with 8 Demigods's than a hundred. Really if you tell somebody nowadays to take a look at Dota. That Guy is totally screwed, How could he possibly know all Heroes. And in Dota it is essential to know every single hero and their skills and what they can do to you.

So 8 Heroes is definitely the way to go. So players can immerse way deeper into their character builds than they ever could have done in Dota. Just my 2 cents

December 8, 2008 3:20:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Trigeminal, quality over quantity, about that...

Since you say that you need encyclopedia to play i take it that you have not played DotA very much and that the "heroes lacks in quality" is an assumption based on a somewhat flawed logic. Thinking that if theres quantity then there can not be quality could be right if it is some rushed job but this is a game that has seen constant updates for several years now, driven by a whole community. A community that has helped shape the game, balancing it and adding new and great content.

It's not perfect, i know that much. However theres alot of great quality heroes and even if you don't like some of them, someone else will. Something to satisfy them all. Kinda. I've only played it for a year (or i played for a whole year now) and i don't need an encyclopedia to play and i never did. Even in the beginning i didn't need one. You just tried out some random hero that seemed cool, checked out their skills, then sucked big time. And like with all games you got the hang of it and could play well with a hero that you had not played before because you knew the general idea of the game.

And it seems to me that you think that amatuers will have a bigger chance if theres a smaller group of heroes but in the end don't you think that they would loose big time if they play an experienced fighter? I mean really loose. Like shit i am teh noob let's leave loose. It's like this with all games(not the leaving part). Unless your a hardcore gamer(not the leaving part ).

There is so many people here giving dota shit, i just don't understand. Claiming that demigod is not DotA, saying that "oh they're both good games exept DotA is crap and demigod has this and that is supreme, better in all aspects and so forth. I get that they are diffrent but they still have so many things alike that saying demigod is not like dota is not even funny. I mean c'mon, there's snipertechies and unclean pudge and some skills here and there not worth mentioning. The gamplay is very similar, with some innovations like the generals i guess and control points and stuff. Tough there is minion control in DotA too and each hero has their own sort of ceeps to boss around.  I mean they are both good games but one has some quality minions that's unique to each hero.

Theres of course alot of valid points. Most having to do with the limitations of a custom map and being a little hard on the beginners. Which by the way could be fixed if they were to impliment something like recipies if they wanted to. This is not me voting for doing that tough.

One more thing about quality. Even tough it's early beta, the skills i've seen so far is not at all as cool and fun as the ones i see in DotA. It's like they all can slow by over 9000% and rook and torch get their stun at the same time and with the same duration. I'm not talking about balance. They are just not good enough (i mean in awsomness, otherwise they're OP). There is some skills i like tough. Like snipers track.

December 8, 2008 3:33:56 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demigod may only have 8 demigods but it will have more after release and it Takes ALOT of money to make 1 Demigod. 10,000 or more prob more. And no offense but some of dota's heroes are just plain better than others. I have played it several times and i know from expierence some suck and some are fucking rigged.

December 8, 2008 6:22:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Teh_Sehnkon...I think the quality over quantity thing Trigeminal is pointing to isn't about "DOTA sucks and Demigod rocks" so much as it about the fact that you can play Unclean Beast a bunch of different ways and still be effective.  How many ways can you play Pudge? 

On one hand you have a bunch of characters that have limited flexibility and on the other you have a few characters with a bunch of flexibility.  Both approaches have their merits, but it's worth pointing out that they are different, and I don't think its out of line to talk about Demigod favourably compared to DoTA on the Demigod Beta Boards. 

Having said that, you obviously have alot of good thoughts about this type of game, and it would be awesome if you started posting to share them and make this game better, as opposed to defending the honor of a game we are not actually attacking. 

Edit, oh and the devs are on record as saying it costs $100,000 to develop each demigod

December 8, 2008 7:55:37 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm not a pro but i'm sure thats there is more than one way to play pudge. Like you could go for tank or pusher or buffbot or whatever. But more importantly his skills are more fun to play with than uncleans. Altough i agree that demigod will have alot more options with yours skills DotA has by far more cooler skills and items. And i'm hoping for a change there. And just so you know i'm not very good with coming up with thoose things so i can't help there. I can just say look att DotA. There should not be anything wrong to do that and they shouldn't have to keep their inspiration from DotA quiet because theres alot who seem to hate it without really playing it to much.

And as i said it's not perfect, i know. There probably are some heroes better than others tough thats true i demigod too. Just better at diffrent things.

I never said you couldn't like demigod more. It's diffrent when you do a comparison and say something like "both are good but one has quality and does not requires 42 sets of books and a study in the mountains to get in the amatuer ranks". Even that's fine but then i will act as a counterforce so that all you will read here on DotA is not negative. Looking about all the posts with "DotA is hellish with 93 heroes, impossible to learn for beginners if you get in now" and it's hard to think that anyone wouldn't belive it. I saw that on about every post about DotA.

Anyway i preordered it because it was announced as a dota ripoff but even now when i know better it still seems good. Even better, i get to play someting new.

December 8, 2008 8:06:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Demigod is still in beta and its a fresh new game still being developed. Dota has been out for a while and its a custom game which didn't cost much to Guinsoo and icefrog. While Demigod is its own game and it cost money to develop, it might not have cool spells and skills yet, but in the future and maybe even time of its release it will. Dota is a great game and it inspired games of its genre to be developed now. I think its abit to early to be judging Demigod by saying it doesn't have cool looking skills and spells and such. Gas powered games can change that anytime and add cool and awsome looking spells.

December 8, 2008 9:22:18 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

[quote who="C.C|L|Clyne." reply="3" id="1968418"]They're many differences between DOTA and Demigod. Demigod might only have 8 heroes, but they go in-depth with each having skill trees to customize each hero. While DOTA with its many heroes you still only have 4 spells. Since i haven't played Demigod yet, but i would believe it to be more balance with 8 heroes vs 93. Some heroes in DOTA are just crazy and overpowered while others are useless. Also Gas Powered Games said that will be releasing new Demigods in the future so no need to worry about the few selection of heroes more will come! Like Trigeminal said quality over quantity. While DOTA only has one map, Demigod has many maps that you can play on. There are also buildings you can capture to turn the tide of battle or help you own even more.

Those are just a few things i can think of read OrleanKnight's post which he link for a very nice detailed summary of the game.
[/quote]

DotA is amazingly balanced for the amount of heroes in it and it is blatantly untrue to say that some of the heroes are op and some are useless, some are hero killers, some are lane pushers, some are support, some can carry some can't but each hero is just as good over all (or incredibly close to) as any other hero.

December 9, 2008 1:49:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

just want to say to all that i wasnt attacking demigod by doing this thread. seems that some ppl took it that way. Im a big dota fan, and i see it as a positive thing that gaspowered games found inspiration in it.

And just to respond to all the posts about op and useless. No heroes are useless in Dota. then its the player who does not know the hero role or plays it wrong. A hero can be the best in the game with a negative score. Yet there are OP heroes. But only 1 truly op hero: Lycan. Think Icefrog just loves him or something:) Heroes can be OP but there are plusses and minusses for each one. Mortred can fx be the most badass endgame hero, but if she faces zeus, lina whatever other nuker in early game mortred will never be more dangerous then a wet towel.

December 9, 2008 2:23:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

My bad on the useless part for heroes on DOTA. All heroes in DOTA do have different rolls i just find some heroes not that usefull like rootrellen. Other then being a crazy tank i don't see any other roll for him. I still say there are heroes that are overpowered like axe or spiritbreaker. DOTA is balanced for having many heroes i will agree on that, but im saying having 8 heroes vs 93 will probably bring better balance in my opinion. I have nothing against DOTA it was not my intention to bash it in way my bad if doing so. I still play DOTA time to time when my friend asks me to by no means am i pro. I was just merely stating what i thought my apologize if i offended anyone.

December 9, 2008 7:39:03 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

[quote who="C.C|L|Clyne." reply="12" id="1969859"]My bad on the useless part for heroes on DOTA. All heroes in DOTA do have different rolls i just find some heroes not that usefull like rootrellen. Other then being a crazy tank i don't see any other roll for him. I still say there are heroes that are overpowered like axe or spiritbreaker. DOTA is balanced for having many heroes i will agree on that, but im saying having 8 heroes vs 93 will probably bring better balance in my opinion. I have nothing against DOTA it was not my intention to bash it in way my bad if doing so. I still play DOTA time to time when my friend asks me to by no means am i pro. I was just merely stating what i thought my apologize if i offended anyone. [/quote]

Tree is actually pretty good if you can use him.  That's the beauty and curse of DOTA.  Most people aren't good with every hero so they end up thinking some are garbage and others are op.  It's been said a thousand times, but it's a team game as well.  The heroes are fairly well balanced, but they also depend on synergies with the rest of your team and who you're matched against.

For all those saying the quality over quantity argument, I have a question for you, how many skills are in DoTA? How many skills will be in Demigod?  People claim demigod has so much more variety and customization, but I disagree.  It is true that they may have more versatility from hero to hero, but by having significantly less heroes, your overall choices are still less than dota. 

The problem with Demigod is that the demigod's are so expensive to make.  So, they did a little PR spin on it and claimed that it had vastly more quality than the quantity of dota chars. I would agree with this if the sum of the Demigod's skills were almost at the level of the sum of the DoTA skills, but they're not.  Not even close.  So far, Demigods have about 7 skills each (+1 with stats).  In Dota, each hero has 4 skills (+1 with stats).  Demigod will have 8 heroes.  Dota has nearly 100.  ~56 is a lot less than ~400.

December 9, 2008 8:24:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm not try to diis Dota just defend Demigod. Many of Dota's heroes are balanced but some heroes if they are against u and u have a certain hero your fucked. They can basicly stop u from being uber. That does not apply to demigod however. Dota I personally hate because of the community but I do like a game which is basicly the same thats called tides of blood. Theirs 16 heroes yet how u use them is totally up to u. They have lots of variety, very few spells are copied and if they are their differnt. Like 1 hero my have a trap a unit spell that traps the unit for 10 sec and does 5 damage each sec. Well another hero would have a trap that traps for 20 sec but does no damage. I personally like that style. Also their is a huge differnce between pros and noobs in dota. 1 pro can kill like 3 noobs easily. Demigod doesn't allow that. Also Dota is lacking a bit in rts its basicly rpg all the way. The creeps and spawn suck farther into game. Now saying that I don't mean to diss Dota that much im just stating the differnces between the games and how demigod makes up for it. All Dota's heroes can be good but the thing is their only good against certain other heroes. They have counter heroes as i said earlier. So in that way Dota does have lower quality. Also might I add the one bad thing is with Dota is I can't remember who does what and who I want to play as cause theirs just too many. Dota is still however a good game for a custom game that was made by the players of wc3.

December 10, 2008 12:48:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting JinxOfSin,

Tree is actually pretty good if you can use him.  That's the beauty and curse of DOTA.  Most people aren't good with every hero so they end up thinking some are garbage and others are op.  It's been said a thousand times, but it's a team game as well.  The heroes are fairly well balanced, but they also depend on synergies with the rest of your team and who you're matched against.

For all those saying the quality over quantity argument, I have a question for you, how many skills are in DoTA? How many skills will be in Demigod?  People claim demigod has so much more variety and customization, but I disagree.  It is true that they may have more versatility from hero to hero, but by having significantly less heroes, your overall choices are still less than dota. 

The problem with Demigod is that the demigod's are so expensive to make.  So, they did a little PR spin on it and claimed that it had vastly more quality than the quantity of dota chars. I would agree with this if the sum of the Demigod's skills were almost at the level of the sum of the DoTA skills, but they're not.  Not even close.  So far, Demigods have about 7 skills each (+1 with stats).  In Dota, each hero has 4 skills (+1 with stats).  Demigod will have 8 heroes.  Dota has nearly 100.  ~56 is a lot less than ~400.

We get it Jinx you hate demigod.  That is why you asked for a refund and bitched that they wouldn't give a full refund even though you downloaded and played the game,... er wait... no it was "personal reason".  You clearly love Demigod.  Seriously, if you don't like the game fine, give a suggestion.  Please stop coming on to say DOTA rules, demigod sucks.  It really isn't useful to anyone.

December 10, 2008 4:38:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

8 unique Demigods > 1000 Similar Demigods.

If you want to play with 93 similar similar heroes instead of 8 unique ones, 4 assasins, 4 generals, than go back to DotA. Here we prefer quality of quantity

And Jinx...you talking about how Demigod doesnt have as much variety and customization - IT ALREADY DOES, and the game is still in ints ENGINE TEST PHASE!!! The developers have even stated this phase isnt even meant to be enjoyable, yet each Demigod still has more depth than the ones in DotA.

Yes its true that "by having significantly less heroes, your overall choices are still less then dota", but its also true that those "choices" in DotA are not unique like Demigod's - hence the arugement of quality > quantity.

Have fun playing your mod

December 10, 2008 7:35:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yet none of you Defense of the Ancients fans realise that DotA is an AoE ripoff which was around 2 months after War3 launched. So even if you're a huge DotA fan you should know that DotA was never an original game.
Saying Demigod is a DotA ripoff is like saying Rise of legends is a Warcraft 3 ripoff becaue they're both RTS. I like to call Demigod and DotA an AoE style game because that was the first game that played like this as much as I know. (though I could be wrong here)

December 10, 2008 8:09:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ya, tofi. You're right, though its called AoS. Aeon of Strife. Good map type.

December 10, 2008 8:15:37 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ryo2810,
Ya, tofi. You're right, though its called AoS. Aeon of Strife. Good map type.

My bad, thanks for the correction

I'm pretty sure this type of game will get much, much more attention in the near future, might even reach the popularity of RTS.

December 10, 2008 3:38:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dalzk u took the words right out of my mouth.

December 10, 2008 10:34:15 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,

We get it Jinx you hate demigod.  That is why you asked for a refund and bitched that they wouldn't give a full refund even though you downloaded and played the game,... er wait... no it was "personal reason".  You clearly love Demigod.  Seriously, if you don't like the game fine, give a suggestion.  Please stop coming on to say DOTA rules, demigod sucks.  It really isn't useful to anyone.

I have given several suggestions before - mostly on the IRC channel.  Furthermore, citing qualities of a game that I feel are bad is also a constructive criticism.  No where have I ever said "demigod sucks" and left it at that.  I don't even hate the game, I hate some aspects about it but I don't hate it.  Just because I wanted a refund and have made complaints about aspects of the game doesn't mean I think it's a garbage game.  Get your head out of your ass.

Regarding the refund thread, it's been gone through before.  Stardock's policy wasn't clear at the time of pre-order.  In all my experiences with games that had a pre-order attached to a beta, refunds were always possible.  The product has not yet hit the shelf thus we shouldn't be forced to pay. 

It's great that stardock has such loyal fans like you who will go as far to lynch any dissenters.  You even make long and pretty thorough posts which aggregate a lot of the current demigod knowledge into one place.  Unfortunately, this side effects of this include high horse syndrome.

And Jinx...you talking about how Demigod doesnt have as much variety and customization - IT ALREADY DOES, and the game is still in ints ENGINE TEST PHASE!!! The developers have even stated this phase isnt even meant to be enjoyable, yet each Demigod still has more depth than the ones in DotA.

I'm aware it's in engine test phase.  Nonetheless, I argued the volume of skills, which you convieniently neglected to mention.  Finally, about demigod having so much more customization of demigods, how are you seeing this? Their word alone?

I will agree that demigod has more customization options per demigod than dota has per hero.  However, it wouldn't be by such a tremendous margin that it outstrips DoTA's character volume advantage.  Demigods have about twice as many skills as a hero in Dota, yet there are planned to be 8 or 1/11th the selection of Dota.  With ~8 skills, how many radically different builds per demigod do you actually think will be possible?  Stardock/gpg may prove me wrong, but I'd venture "not many".

If you want to knock DoTA, that's absolutely fine.  I enjoyed that game when I played it, but I haven't played it in 2 years.  What I AM doing is using that as a measuring stick against Demigod.  DoTA, a free mod, should theoretically be blown away by Demigod which has production value and a nice budget.

Finally, before you start stepping on DoTA, please play it - and get good at it.  It's very evident by most people's DoTA vs Demigod posts that they haven't even played DoTA and if they have, they got their asses royally handed to them.  DoTA is not noob friendly.  When you begin for the first time, you don't see the subtleties of the game and a lot of people walk away thinking some heroes are overpowered, the recipes are too complicated, or that they're simply "too good" for the game.

December 10, 2008 11:47:40 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Jinx... how long has DotA been around? How long have they been able to make updates? How many heroes did Dota start with?

Plus they plan on adding more demigods eventually.

How many maps does Dota have? Are there capturable flags in Dota? Are there Generals?

To sum up, Demigod is new and while the number of demigods is likely to never reach the high 90s, there will be more as well as other updates to the game to make it better. It also includes other strategic elements that Dota doesn't have as well as multiple different maps for different gameplay. So maybe there isn't as much variety with the heros (and I forgot to mention how some dota heroes are pretty similar to each other - oh wait, just did) but what's missing with hero variety they make up in all the other aspects that make Demigod so much more then DotA.

BTW I love Dota, it's a great game

December 11, 2008 12:52:04 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ToxDrawace,
Jinx... how long has DotA been around? How long have they been able to make updates? How many heroes did Dota start with?

Plus they plan on adding more demigods eventually.

How many maps does Dota have? Are there capturable flags in Dota? Are there Generals?

To sum up, Demigod is new and while the number of demigods is likely to never reach the high 90s, there will be more as well as other updates to the game to make it better. It also includes other strategic elements that Dota doesn't have as well as multiple different maps for different gameplay. So maybe there isn't as much variety with the heros (and I forgot to mention how some dota heroes are pretty similar to each other - oh wait, just did) but what's missing with hero variety they make up in all the other aspects that make Demigod so much more then DotA.

BTW I love Dota, it's a great game

Many of those points are absolutely true and could very well make Demigod a fantastic game (hopefully).  I'm always skeptical about future "free" updates and I rarely hold my breath on those promises. While Stardock has a good rep for doing updates, GPG isn't exactly known for great service.  Plus there's the recent failure, Space Seige which was also developed by Mike Marr (according to Moby Games).  I'm not saying Mike is a bad designer, but I can only look at things with the information present.

December 11, 2008 8:05:30 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I agree with Jinx on this one.  Please play Dota before you start bashing it.  Saying heroes are the same just is a fallacy, there are ceratin roles but that is the point.  They all have unique spells.  Anyways when Demigod came out I was extremely excited because I figured it would be like Dota but better because it would be new and would have the freedom of a new game engine and professionals working on it but I was sadly disappointed.  I do understand this is the first beta and it will probably be no where near the end product but Jinx is right you have to beat Dota if you want people to buy this game.  If your game isn't as good as Dota then I don't know what the point is.  I just hope this game is able to fill the gap for Dota players who are looking for something new.

December 11, 2008 8:06:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I agree with Jinx on this one.  Please play Dota before you start bashing it.  Saying heroes are the same just is a fallacy, there are ceratin roles but that is the point.  They all have unique spells.  Anyways when Demigod came out I was extremely excited because I figured it would be like Dota but better because it would be new and would have the freedom of a new game engine and professionals working on it but I was sadly disappointed.  I do understand this is the first beta and it will probably be no where near the end product but Jinx is right you have to beat Dota if you want people to buy this game.  If your game isn't as good as Dota then I don't know what the point is.  I just hope this game is able to fill the gap for Dota players who are looking for something new.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000516   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.