The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[SUGGESTION] Levelling up = Visual changes of demigods

By on December 7, 2008 12:24:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

If they implemented this, it would be very cool!

Put simply - as your demigod levels up, there will be visual changes to make him look more powerful/different!

E.g. Demigods will look as they do at present, from levels 1-10. However, upon reaching level 10, they look slightly different (e.g. more armour plating, or the torchbearer gets a sicker looking torch)...and upon lvl 25, will look even more deadlier! 

Visual changes would occur at:

lvl 10 -minor changes e.g. a slightly different looking crossbow for regulas, or bigger fangs for unclean beast

lvl 20 -slightly more visual change - perhaps a change in the apparel side of things e.g. a more elaborate/ornate breastplate for regulas (but this shouldn't conflict with the 'minor' change made at lvl 10 - this should still be visible.

lvl 25 -entirely new appearance (e.g. a totally epic looking crossbow for regulas, even more ornate breastplate).

I think this would be awesome!

0 Karma | 30 Replies
December 7, 2008 12:35:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

if they could do this with spells/skills as well e.g. higher level ones look more devastating, that would be very nice too!

December 7, 2008 3:49:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I like your idea, it'd make the game seen more interactive. In lotr bfm2 they made it so when a unit reaches level 5 max (max level for a unit) they would become better (selfheal, more health, and stronger attack) and they gained armor sometimes or war paint. This made the game feel alot more interesting because now u have the same units except some are veteran and some arn't. So maybe they could make with demigods and generals special units. I think it would add alot of depth to the game.

December 7, 2008 7:08:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This would be pretty sick, but I don't know if they would add this in (unless we don't know it is in already )

But one Idea that would be cool would be to make abilities look better at different levels. I remember that was my favorite part of leveling in EQ, to have my spells look cooler that is.

December 7, 2008 7:44:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Well they could do it to just demigods and abilities. Not much just small differnces that would make it have so much more depth.

December 7, 2008 9:05:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I would love to see it, dont get me wrong, but I dont know if it would get added.

Would be cool if Rook swung his hammer harder and harder as he leveled and had a deeper inpact each time

Or maybe even just the different levels look different. Like an epic fireball! AHH!

December 7, 2008 9:13:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With regard to the abilities - i think it'd be pretty easy to implement... e.g. the Rook's smash would just make the screen shake more. Torch bearer's magic abilities would just be denser and more intense in color. Regulas' snipe at top level would have the effect of 'warping' the very space around which the bullet passes through... and so on.

With regard to different skins as level increases, this would be pretty easy to implement too i think! For rook, could just have him increase in size as he levels up...regulas i already commented on... TB already commented on... unclean beast - could increase in size too, have bigger claws/fangs.

It would probably take them a week or 2 weeks to implement this feature!

December 7, 2008 9:22:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Would be pretty awesome if Regulus had his wings at level 25. Would have to find some reason why he can't fly though

Would also help to tell the difference of people's levels. Would definantly worry me if I saw a huge Rook early on, make me feel like he really is much more progressed then I am.

December 7, 2008 9:30:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Teseer,
Would be pretty awesome if Regulus had his wings at level 25. Would have to find some reason why he can't fly though

Would also help to tell the difference of people's levels. Would definantly worry me if I saw a huge Rook early on, make me feel like he really is much more progressed then I am.

That would be awesome

I agree, the higher levels would definately have to have skins that would be very distinct from the lvl 1 skin (regulas with wings would DEFINATELY set you apart from the crowd... and a Rook 2 times his normal size would definately make you start playing seriously)

December 7, 2008 9:30:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Judging by what I've seen from SupCom, the engine supports the vast majority of these ideas, so from a purely technical standpoint it's no worries. The trouble is that new effects and such will be expensive.

December 8, 2008 1:52:18 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I totaly agree! How awsome would it be with a freaking huge Rook owning everything! For the suggestion about level 25 i don't know about a whole new apperance. It can cause some confusion and such, but the example you gave isn't like a full new apperance so i think just a new weapon looking would be cool.

December 8, 2008 11:02:17 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

From what the devs have said previously on the resources necessary to develop a Demigod I don't know that we'll see the physical Demigod appearance changing radically through levelling, awesome as that may be.  Another possibility would be 2d auras like in WC3 or 3d aura effects (like a black mist around Vampire Lord or ground rippling around Rook when he walks) that would grow more pronounced as the levels go up. 

December 8, 2008 4:03:49 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yah thats what were talking about just small differnces. Maybe a more detailed weapon every 5 levels. Some slight ajustments. Not a total make over. for example Qot might be a differnt color flower shape thing. torchbearer could have like flames apear were he was just talking or ice depending what mode hes in. Slight things that will mix things up a bit.

December 8, 2008 8:47:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ke5trel,
From what the devs have said previously on the resources necessary to develop a Demigod I don't know that we'll see the physical Demigod appearance changing radically through levelling, awesome as that may be.  Another possibility would be 2d auras like in WC3 or 3d aura effects (like a black mist around Vampire Lord or ground rippling around Rook when he walks) that would grow more pronounced as the levels go up. 

That's exactly what I thought it should be. Thanks for actually putting it in words

December 8, 2008 10:28:25 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just to help the devs a bit anyone have ideas for differnces. State what level and desciption.

December 8, 2008 10:32:39 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The most important one for me would definantly be Torch Bearer's Fireball. I just dont like how...eh it looks.

December 8, 2008 10:35:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dang I'm out of the loop again! What is torch bearers fireball. Do u mean the fire ball on his staff and if so what changes do u think would be cool. Blue flame?

December 8, 2008 10:53:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, he has a fireball attack as his DD spell. Its just is unspectacular atm.

December 9, 2008 6:29:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

only a couple more days untill I find all this out, yeah.

December 9, 2008 9:05:42 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Soccer194,
Just to help the devs a bit anyone have ideas for differnces. State what level and desciption.

Well, it'd be pretty simple for the spell side of things. Like the TB's level 5 fireball could just look... massively bigger than its lvl 1 graphic.

But i think this is actually more important than demigods changing appearance... as the spell increasing in power only makes sense to have a more devastating looking effect.

December 9, 2008 9:59:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Visual changes to demigods based on abilities are already in, kind of. The Rook changes appearance as you unlock his passive tower upgrades, and I believe the Unclean Beast has some visual change when activating that rage buff thing.

It would of course be far better if the visual changes would be more widespread, and would be more and more pronounced as the abilities are leveled up, but the engine possibility is there.

And I can only second Bardus - spell FX needs to show that a spell is more powerful as it's leveled up. (the increasing wave number for frost rain is a good example of being able to tell spell level from fx/effect).

December 9, 2008 3:27:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i mean when u get to like level 10  unclean beast could have longer fangs and queen of thorns could have differnt colored flowers. Just to add variety and depth making them all not look similar. Also every thing doesn't have to be larger but like torchberer could fire blue fire when rook does boulder row it could leave a crack. Ice hail could be larger and bits go flying.

December 9, 2008 3:31:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Creating a Demigod from scratch may be very expensive, but a small change in scale... it's easy to simply make an explosion bigger.

December 9, 2008 4:25:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I guess but im sayin color changes.

December 10, 2008 1:53:59 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Are something you can do with notepad editing. Making changes to already existing FX is hardly a strain - hardest work of it, animations and integrating the FX into it, is already done. Making them more extensive won't bankrupt anyone.

December 16, 2008 2:42:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Too bad they can't make rook look like a huge man starting off and then slowly transform into a powerful giant.  Becomign more and more rook like as he levels...

A son of a god of stone and fortifications who gradually becomes what he is a god of.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.