Gas Powered Games is working hard on Beta 2 of Demigod. We don't have a definitive date for it but we're hoping to get it out before Thanksgiving so people can play it over the break (that would be next week).
Now, so far beta testers have only played the engine test. That was basically just to see compatibility and performance. We've taken that data and the GPG team has increased the game's performance dramatically.
Beta 2 is where we get into the "meat" of the game. As we've mentioned before, beta 1 wasn't supposed to be fun. We're delighted some people found it fun but it wasn't really meant to be fun.
Beta 2, by contrast, is where the fun starts. How fun it'll be depends on how many of the features get in. Below are some of the key features beta 2 will introduce:
- Objective Flags. Beta 1 has a couple of these but beta 2 adds a lot more. Winning at Demigod is about your ability to capture and make use of these objective flags.
- Skill Trees. The skill trees have been greatly expanded upon.
- Generals. While Assassins are extremely powerful on their own, Generals can summon minions who can be controlled like an RTS.
- Internet play. Impulse Reactor based "cloud" multiplayer gets in which should make getting games going very easy (fingers crossed).
- Citadel upgrades. Right now, things progress based on time. In Beta 2, players will have to spend gold on Citadel upgrades to get access to more units, better units, etc.
We also have some surprises that we hope will make it into Beta 2 but we can't commit to that or whether they'd fall into Beta 3.