The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Left 4 Dead

By on November 12, 2008 7:49:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The demo is available to the public now, you can download it through Steam.  I've been playing it about a week now as I had it preordered and it is the most fun I've had gaming since playing the original Monkey Island games.

Is anyone else playing it?  I imagine modders and mappers are going to go nuts for it.  And Valve is well know for improving their games for years to come so it's deffinately a game I'm going to adopt in a big way.

+24 Karma | 31 Replies
November 12, 2008 8:01:13 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Played it some, pretty fun. Worried about the coop-mode being too short in retail. Took about an hour to play through the demo map a few times. How much time does that mean we will spend in retail?

November 12, 2008 8:12:46 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Hmm, I guess I'll try the demo today.. a few guys in the #demigod IRC chat were playing it last night and apparently had fun.

November 12, 2008 8:14:34 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah its very addictive. Heavenfall, people asked the same question with TF2 when it was released. And that only had 3 maps on release(or something like that).

Think of all the new things they can add to add longevity. And user made maps etc. New characters? achievement packs, new weapons.

The random location of zombies and zombie bosses add a lot of replayability and tension. A lot of oh shit! moments which i think makes this one special. In fact....i think this is going to be game of the year.

November 12, 2008 8:38:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, GoW2 won over L4D for me, and I've really enjoyed Gears' Horde mode. If L4D is anything like it, I'll have fun with it

November 12, 2008 9:05:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There should be a ton of replayability. I've spent several hours on the 2 levels available playing with my buddies, and it hasn't gotten old yet. It sounds like there are 4 campaigns with 5 scenarios, for a total of about 20 maps on launch. I can see a lot of potential for user generated content, especially considering the amount of dynamic sounds automatically used when certain events trigger, like reloading or spotting a boss zombie. I'm looking forward to it.

November 12, 2008 9:33:39 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting fragieD,
Yeah its very addictive. Heavenfall, people asked the same question with TF2 when it was released. And that only had 3 maps on release(or something like that).

Think of all the new things they can add to add longevity. And user made maps etc. New characters? achievement packs, new weapons.

The random location of zombies and zombie bosses add a lot of replayability and tension. A lot of oh shit! moments which i think makes this one special. In fact....i think this is going to be game of the year.

Nah, I'm not buying a game without subscription on the promise that it will be better in the future. Never holds up.

November 12, 2008 9:44:25 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

The demo is only actually 1.5 maps, as the second map is 1 map cut in half.  I think there is 20 maps in the final game so playing through all of the maps is gonna take you a hell of a lot of hours to go through all of it once.

The whole premise of the game though is how much it will be different each time you play as the 'AI Director' will change how intense it is being by how well you are doing and each time I play I get different combinations of bosses.  I've spent well over 20 hours playing now and still looking forward to playing tonight, that's on a small fraction of the game, I'm deffinately going to get my moneys worth.

If you are going to play through only once and have no desire to complete it on expert and see what the Director throws at you next time then it might not be worth it for you.

November 12, 2008 9:44:44 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well, Valve has expanded TF2 for free pretty considerably.. but whether or not they plan the same for Left 4 Dead remains to be seen.

November 12, 2008 9:54:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

They've mentioned they do in fact plan to add maps and possibly even weapons, but even better is that one of the first things they want to get done after release is setting it up so people can freely mod their own maps.

I played it for hours last night.  Only time it fails is when you get a bad team.  If you have friends or find people on Steam that have a brain, you're set for some huge fun.  It won't mean much to those that haven't played yet, but I just have to brag that just a little while ago I joined a game and we kicked a griefer who was shooting us.

With 3 players, we got to the first safe house only taking around 20 damage each and had spare health kits.  It was awesome.  And as any L4D post should end:

Do not startle the Witch!

November 12, 2008 9:58:18 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Annatar11,
Well, Valve has expanded TF2 for free pretty considerably.. but whether or not they plan the same for Left 4 Dead remains to be seen.

Looking at the activity in the forums I think this game will be a massive hit.  The Steam forum for it sometimes has about 2 pages of posts that are within 10 minutes of each other.

Not only that this is Valve we are talking about, anyone who has a steam game only needs to look at the update history for their games, they have a superb history of improving on great games.  They have said they are increasing the amount they are investing in the game in terms of advertisement, if that doesn't follow through to after sales development I would be stunned.

Even if they didn't do an iota of work imagine how much the modding community is going to do.  People are already creating their own maps for it before it is out, I'm even tempted to and I haven't created a map since Quake 1

I'm starting to sound like a fanboy but the demo has me very excited for the game.

November 12, 2008 10:05:09 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Meh, it's starting to sound tempting, but I have a huge game overload right now: EndWar, Gears of War 2, Fallout 3, Red Alert 3, X3: Terran Conflict, Far Cry 2, Demigod beta... and 3-4 hours a night to play.

Annatar11 quits job.

November 12, 2008 10:20:30 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Seriously...those are no where near what Left 4 Dead offers you.

November 12, 2008 10:21:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

Quoting fragieD, reply 3Yeah its very addictive. Heavenfall, people asked the same question with TF2 when it was released. And that only had 3 maps on release(or something like that).

Nah, I'm not buying a game without subscription on the promise that it will be better in the future. Never holds up.

You dont have to...The game kicks ass even at release. Pure goodness of great gameplay. What i meant was extending it out.

November 12, 2008 10:23:58 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I enjoyed the demo thus far (time-limited! BLAH!). I did find the whole to go by very fast though.

Will try on a harder difficulty and see how it flows.

R.e.: time limitation, kind of lame towards anybody who doesn`t download the sample before the release date...

November 12, 2008 10:28:31 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting fragieD,
Seriously...those are no where near what Left 4 Dead offers you.

Now that's a bit of a stretch considering most of them are different genres

November 12, 2008 10:28:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Dont mess with this lady...I found that other zombies attack the Witch. ANd she kills them without even moving

November 12, 2008 5:28:14 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Haha, we were playing a "hardcore" expert game (if you die, you don't get saved) and we got one witch and then a tank after. The Witch oneshotted one of our guys, from 100 to dead instantly.

This game is definately worth buying for its quality at release. I was just making the statement above that paying for a game based on what it MIGHT release, is something I don't do.

November 12, 2008 11:47:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

game is great, another AAA hit from Valve!

November 13, 2008 12:26:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Counter-Strike has a great deal of variety and replayability. I must admit that despite the fun I have had with this, Left4Dead just doesn`t promise that. Environmental interactivity seems pretty low for a scrounge-for-supplies survival game (the comparatively budget-titled Land (?) Of The Dead had more), only 4 types of enemies, and only 4 sets *is* very thin. And the randomized/governing controller A.I. doesn`t seem to me to be that compensatory - not to the extent I could envision myself playing for as long as I played Counter-Strike or BF 2.

I like it, but it needs more levels, enemies, levels, levels, and levels. Did I mention more levels? Especially for what I presume is going to be full retail price.

November 13, 2008 1:53:25 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Check out the demo if you haven't already. I've easily got 5-6 hours out of the two levels available in it, and will certainly get a good deal more out of it when I'm not stuck playing the same two areas from a campaign over and over again. There is a great deal of replayability as well. Better still, while we'll have to wait a few more days to see how long the game maps take to play through in each campaign, they are planning on having the level editor and mod tools out around the same time as the game is released. As such, there is a very good chance that the active mod and level editor communities from other Valve titles will be cranking out new maps and other variants shortly after the game launches.

November 13, 2008 11:28:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Not to mention...I think versus mode will be very popular. I think it may be the main thing most people play when its out. Versus mode has even more replayability.

November 14, 2008 2:03:01 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

the demo alone is a lot of fun way better when you play with ppl

imho dont buy it if youll end up playing alone. The game is a lot of fun but playing a lone or with other people is not even close to as fun as playing with your friends

November 14, 2008 5:07:19 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Well I've been playing with randoms using the matchmaking system and I've made several friends already that I play with regularly.  I've put in well over 20 hours play on the demos 1.5 levels of the full games 20 levels.  I'm not worried about the replayability other than what WarlokLord said about their being few enemies which is true.  It promises to keep me playing for a very long time.

I think the real replayability will be the versus mode, it's going to be so popular to be the griefer side and then switch and see if the other team are better at griefing than you.

December 10, 2008 12:08:23 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Myself and Multianna and Eetmoresqrls play Left4Dead quite a lot, its a great game.

December 10, 2008 12:39:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is actually a pretty good shooter. This is coming from a guy who hates shooters.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108434  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000688   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.