The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Only 3 types of minions

By on November 5, 2008 9:48:30 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod ForumsExternal Link

In the gamespot preview (linked), note that there's only 3 types of minions shared by ALL generals, but there are still "special" units for certain generals, such as Sedna's yetis and (I think) QoT's treants.  I don't quite know how I feel about this yet.  Having only 3 types is kinda weak, but could still work based on the abilities of each general.  Not to mention that the special units for certain generals makes it easier to swallow (assuming you wish to play as one of those genreals).  Anyway, I'm very much on the fence about this, what's everyone else's opinion?

On a side note, it's good that we have full control of minions at least.

+4 Karma | 8 Replies
November 5, 2008 10:58:54 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The gamespot and gamespy pieces from yesterday seem to be a bit at odds with each other on the minions. The Gamespy one briefly mentions 3 seperate types of units which heal, repair structures and buff units/generals, of which only 1 matches the Gamespot archetypes given.

A screenshot accompanying the gamespot article also shows the options relating to minotaur captains, siege archers and high priests in the crystal of health menu so that pretty much confirms their presence too. Yet another screenshot shows Oak's "spirits", complete with health bars, and I wouldn't be much surprised if they were controlable, if perhaps temporary, minions too.

I'd guess either gamespot got a different build sans the extra minion choices or (probably more likely) the author got/gave the wrong end of the stick and there are only 3 units common to -all- generals and the other varieties are demigod specific units. Well that or siege archers repair buildings and minotaur captains give out buffs, it's a possibility I guess.

Plus the gamespot article spells the healer-ish general "Sepna". That's just shoddy

November 5, 2008 11:12:28 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The Gamespot screenshots show heavier Minotaurs, Archers, and Priests, priced according to level.  I wasn't counting on any creep variety at all, let alone the ability to upgrade, mix, and match. (The only thing that could make this system slightly better imo would be if minion creeps could upgrade through xp as well as simply buying better models.  That will reward careful micro and leadership)

In addition, each general will have unique minions who augment their parent DG's abilities.  For example, Oak has a passive that increases his weapon damage a given amount for each Spirit he creates.  I'm thinking that every general will have similar synergies with their uniques.

Frankly, the devs went right where I was hoping, with this model

*edit: beat me to it

November 5, 2008 1:12:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This looks very good I think they have thought this through and looks great we will see how it plays but so far sounds and looks right on

November 5, 2008 4:20:36 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

It seems likely to me that all of them can purchase the three types and can summon their specific ones in other special ways.

November 5, 2008 7:25:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There are only 3 types of generic minions. Each general also gets its own unique minions.

November 5, 2008 7:37:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Minions with an S?
As in Different types each or...just one unique each?

I'm happy with just 1 each but more then 1 would make me veray happay.

November 5, 2008 8:07:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What it looks like from the achievements is just one, but we will find out soon.

November 5, 2008 8:08:17 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah, I didn't really think so. But hey! It would still be cool

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000109   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.