The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Generals

By on October 21, 2008 7:59:37 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Right now GPG is in the process of implementing generals.  Before I spoil it and tell you how they work it would be cool to hear HOW you guys think they should work?

Now, bear in mind, there's balancing and scope involved here. While on paper having assassins play like they do now and have generals play like a Supreme Commander style RTS might sound good, that would be impossible to balance and probably not very fun in practice.

So what would you guys like to see? After enough comments, we'll talk about how we're doing it and then see what tweaks we can make based on your feedback.

+86 Karma | 120 Replies
October 23, 2008 2:30:27 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm not saying there aren't reasons to think it might be this way, but no one has come out and said it definitely will be, and that seems to be your tone of voice.

Supcom engine? Alright... What does that have to do with not being able to control units?

As you say, assassins are the the only ones in the beta. Even less evidence to say what is true/false about them.

Major redesign. They needed balancing. Note: The entire game is going throught redesigns. That's why its a beta. Maybe Generals need more focus, but that still doesn't say anything specifically about controlling units.

I believe one unique creep means that is their specialty. They can still make all the other creeps that are spawned. Look at Vampire Lord's Achievements: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/323908. He gets one for building catapultasauruses. Maybe he can't control them. Maybe he can.

“There are dozens of minions on the battlefield but none can be influenced by the player.” is the most convincing argument, but the fact that there are only assasins right now makes it feel like he is only talking about the naturally spawned creeps. Also, Generals were almost completely ommitted from that interview, making me think the quote relates to Generals even more. The only quote about generals was "All four of these demigods are being classified as assassins, but another class will be included in the final version: generals. Those demigods command minions who battle for them – sort of a walking army that will make life very difficult for their opponents." Sort of a walking army. Why would he say that if they were the same as any other creep. Don't we already have walking armies? It sounds to me like they are different somehow.

Mike Marr said they are focusing on what's making the game fun. It doesn't mean they aren't going to add other stuff as well. 

And "not like supcom" just means different then supcom. No control MIGHT have something to do with it. Who knows?

"Then you change direction and play on your strengths IE no control". Again, big leap there. Changing Direction = no control? It could mean a lot of things

Again, I'm not saying it's not a possibility, I just don't think there's enough evidence to support that specific claim. Maybe I'm just being hopeful, but why not be?

(Now, if it DOES end up being that we have no control over the minions, not only am I going to be majorly dissapointed, but I'm going to feel pretty stupid. Please don't let me down!)

October 23, 2008 3:08:22 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Mike "Tyo" Marr attempted to answer some questions over here.

TyoArk

Hey all!

Sorry for the complete lack of response lately. We've recently tapped the afterburners to get Beta 2 out to you all and pack as much awesome as we can in to it and it has kept me cranking. So, while the game has benefited dramatically, my forum presence has sunk like a rock. I apologize.

Now! For questions.

"Racing game? Fighting game? WTF!" I'm circuitously talking about how single player works. I haven't been given the green-light to talk directly about it yet, so this is my way of talking out of the side of my mouth. I was talking about how the game plays OUTSIDE of the actual matches. Vague I know, but there you have it.

"No generals? I hate you Tyo!" There will be Generals. They will be awesome. I will accept no substitutes.

Again, sorry all for the lack of responses - the team is deep in the trenches and winning huge battles for the game, unfortunately that's come at the price of forum participation. It is my plan that as we enter the balance stage of the game you'll be hearing and chatting with me on a much more frequent basis.

- Mike "Tyo" Marr
Demigod Design Lead

Looks to me like there will be generals.  Let's hope the lack of presence on the forums leads to a quick release, 1st or 2nd week of November, for Beta 2.  Then we can see what they have and really discuss what is really there as opposed to discussing our interpretation of their innuendo.

October 23, 2008 3:18:52 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ToxDrawace,

Supcom engine? Alright... What does that have to do with not being able to control units?

All I mwean by this is that since SupCom is a RTS and this is based on that engine, implementing basic RTS controls shouldn't be to difficult.  To me the engine is not the limitation.  The limitation if direct command is excluded is creativity, desire to keep the game easily accessible, or to keep the ui simple and uncluttered.

Quoting ToxDrawace,

I believe one unique creep means that is their specialty. They can still make all the other creeps that are spawned. Look at Vampire Lord's Achievements: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/323908. He gets one for building catapultasauruses. Maybe he can't control them. Maybe he can.

Nice catch.  I saw this a while back, but did not catch the "I love catapultasaurus" achievement. 

Hopefully our question on some sort of direct control can be answered soon.

October 23, 2008 7:32:56 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There are problems with a full RTS control of units: it will make the characters feel segmented and broken compared to each other, it will be hard to balance and the items will also feel segmented and broken. But a system where buying makes computer controlled creeps follow the pre-designated path would be boring and it will probably be hard to make legitimately useful.

I feel the most interesting answer will be somewhere inbetween, but ill be buggered if i know what it is

October 23, 2008 11:30:02 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Ah...missed Tyo's reply to that thread.  Thanks, Trigeminal.

I believe one unique creep means that is their specialty. They can still make all the other creeps that are spawned. Look at Vampire Lord's Achievements: https://forums.demigodthegame.com/323908. He gets one for building catapultasauruses. Maybe he can't control them. Maybe he can.

I'm going on instinct here but I don't think generals will be able to make spawned creeps, only minion creeps.  The reason Vampire Lord gets a Catapultasaurus Achievement is because he has a unique way of resurrecting the corpses of fallen spawned creeps as his vampire minions.  So he gets an achievement for raising enough zombie catsaurs. I don't think this will apply to any other generals.  

October 23, 2008 12:19:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Ke5trel,
Ah...missed Tyo's reply to that thread.  Thanks, Trigeminal.
The reason Vampire Lord gets a Catapultasaurus Achievement is because he has a unique way of resurrecting the corpses of fallen spawned creeps as his vampire minions.  So he gets an achievement for raising enough zombie catsaurs. I don't think this will apply to any other generals.  

I'm going to have to agree and respectfully disagree with you.  It looks like the VampireLord achievement for catapultasauruses is unique.  However, after looking over the achievement, though they may know be outdated and useless for the upcoming beta 2 build, all of the general demigods have similar achievements.  For example:

# ----------------
# Oak Achievements
# ----------------

Name = Oak's Army of the Dead
Description = Build 200 units in a single game.

Name = Soul Keeper
Description = Gain 200 spirits in a single game.

# ------------------
# Sedna Achievements
# ------------------

Name = Sedna's Acolytes

Name = Ready the Yetis!
Description = Gain 10 yetis in a single game.

# ----------------------------
# Queen of Thorns Achievements
# ----------------------------

Name = Queen of Thorns' Court

Name = Endless Ents
Description = Gain 40 ents in a single game.

# -------------------------
# Vampire Lord Achievements
# -------------------------

Name = Vampire Lord's Brood

Name = King of the Suckers
Description = Gain 250 vampires in a single game.

# -------------------
# Oculus Achievements
# -------------------

Name = Oculus' Bench Warmers

Name = Eye of the Beholder
Description = Gain 40 eyes in a single game.

200 units in a single game, may be more than they want now, but that would be awesome.  Obviously all 200 would not be recruited at once, but all I can say is this is amazingly hopeful stuff here.  Again it is off the old build, but it definately is good "fact" that we can look at.

October 23, 2008 12:59:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting lprometheus,

3. you would have to canstantly tell them where to go, thats annoying.

Have ever played a RTS or just play Rail road Tycoon? Go pick up a copy of SupCom then come back and play with the big boys.

I think you get my point

I just saw your commant and you now what, that was quite insulting, i'm a proud player of Supcom and many other rts games for many years so don't be so arrogant. besides, I only made an opinion.

what i meant is that while assassin's don't have to worry all the time about their units and can focus on develop their characters and having fun killing enemies, generals would constantly need to wait for the waves just for ordering them to move.

why do I find it annoying?-

while they will not be as powerfull as assassin's the generals would still be needed at the front lines and having you always need to order them to move by yourself will always draw you out of combat and focus.

what if you forget to move them? the generals would also have to move, cast spells and using abilites, with all that you can easily forget about the creeps and be left with no reinforcement.

I know many of you want that because its micro-managment but i think it will just wont be fun and I rather see them making the generals stratigic through combat and customizing options instead of micro-managment. this game can't play like sup com but you (and others) choose to ignore the the other things I wrote and what draginol wrote.

and for your comment, I'm not going to return you by calling you a kid or swear you like others tend to do on forums, but for next time- don't be so arrogant and disrespectful about people you don't know and consider others people's opinions.

October 23, 2008 1:00:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OK Trigeminal, good point.  To play Dev's Advocate for a sec - the achievements tell us that at one point generals were able to create two tiers of minion: "units" and DG specific spirits, vampires, yetis, etc.  We don't know that by "units" the achievements were referring to the spawned creeps we already have and not to DG specific, lower-level creeps, but I think that is a semantic point.  "Units" probably does refer to spawned creeps.  

So if we take that premise I'm not surprised it's being reworked.  I don't see how you can balance that against Assassins, and keep it powerful enough to be fun. 

At this point I'm holding out for generals with small groups of controllable unique minions who can be upgraded and synergize with the abilities of the parent demigod.  I feel like that can be balanced against Assassins.  I'm not sure how anything more would work.

I'd love to be wrong

October 23, 2008 2:13:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I still like the idea of having squads like in Dawn of War. Less micro management so that you can use both your general and the squad. Still gives you 2 things to balance between tho. That's why I originally thought the Generals were going to stay in the base. Now that I think about it though, that would get pretty boring if your creeps happened to get slaughtered right after spawning, and you having to wait before you can send out new units.

October 23, 2008 6:42:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I expect that it will work similarly to Sacrifice.  In that game the wizard could create creeps up to a certain maximum "point" value.  Creeps could be organized into squads, and directed to various places on the map.  By default creeps would follow the summoning mage around.

Creeps could also be anchored to a location, which made them more durable but unable to move outside of their leash.

The wizard had some spell powers that typical direct damage or buffs depending on the spell.

October 23, 2008 6:52:58 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,
Can you give some details on republic command?  I don't know that games system.
In Republic Commando, you lead a squad of four SpecOps clone troopers. You give the other three people in your group general orders such as "go there" or "attack", and in some cases specific orders such as healing and opening doors. Beyond that, your teammates would use their own discretion as far as how to carry out your orders.

October 23, 2008 7:43:06 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Generals should:

1) Be able to build a few (identical) barracks buildings.

2) Be able to create units (Ents, Yeti's, etc, not portal ones) from these barracks at the cost of gold.

3) Have DIRECT, INDIVIDUAL CONTROL of the barracks' units.

4) Have indirect (move in this general direction, guard me, etc) controls for portal creeps.

5) Be about half as strong (or slightly weaker) as an Assassin when on their own, and have passive abilities that buff their units and creeps (maybe a few cool activateable ones too).

Generals would get gold and XP from both their own kills and a little less when units kill stuff.  This and the passive auras would make it worthwhile to keep them on the field.  When I heard about this game, it sounded great because I could choose between Action/RPG and RTS depending on the Demigod I chose.  Having direct control of units makes it more like an RTS instead of just an Assassin who occasionally loses parts of his attack power incrementally.  If you don't want any micro, don't play as a General .  Having direct control would let you attack multiple fronts at once, which is definitely part of strategy!

Note: I didn't read most of the other posts in this topic, so someone could have said the same as me.

October 23, 2008 9:10:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Gnats3,
Why identical? As I understand it, the Demigods are supposed to be as different from each other as possible while remaining balanced.

Even if most generals are going to be getting units from a barracks, I want one demigod who vomits up new units. For the animation if nothing else.

October 24, 2008 12:15:03 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting ToxDrawace,
I still like the idea of having squads like in Dawn of War. Less micro management so that you can use both your general and the squad. Still gives you 2 things to balance between tho. That's why I originally thought the Generals were going to stay in the base. Now that I think about it though, that would get pretty boring if your creeps happened to get slaughtered right after spawning, and you having to wait before you can send out new units.

This one, only multiple squads possible and the general is it's own separate unit.  Upgrades, units and skills can be added to squads through level-ups, like how the archer, light tower, trebuchet adds to the Rook.

Generals themselves should probably focus on auras, indirect spells, and auto-attack.

Being able to send squads a distance away from the General would be beneficial, but probably broken as a lack of a tether and powerful squads would mean the general could squat in base.  Maybe use skills to lengthen the tether for the distance the squads can go though.

October 24, 2008 4:30:27 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting nantukoprime,

Being able to send squads a distance away from the General would be beneficial, but probably broken as a lack of a tether and powerful squads would mean the general could squat in base.  Maybe use skills to lengthen the tether for the distance the squads can go though.
Or provide some material benefit for keeping the general close, such as short-range or aoe buffs, or perhaps units beyond a certain distance could take longer to respawn. That way the general can send his units away if he wants, but at a cost of some combat effectiveness.

October 24, 2008 5:26:54 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Has I imagine the generals.  I think the player playing a General, shouldn't control, himself/directly, the minions. Thats because the game is leaded towards the Demigods, and that would cut the feel. Instead he uses his Demigod to give orders, which means there isn't such a thing has cliking the minions. You select only places and objectives instead. Some points:

There could be a range, demarking how much far away can minions go away from the general. Thats because there is a necessity from a RPG opponent to have enemies to kill to evolve, and the RTS players couldn't split everything making it impossible for RPG to defend multiple places.

Then I would guess its important to think first and before, what tactics or strategies would be avaliable for a General player to peform. Respecting the area to where the minions are bound to the General, a squad could try get past the opponent front line from another side, to atack important structures.

The General should have sightly more minions. Form squads should be easy enough but not diretcly like selecting them. I see it like, you click a form squad button, then you click a couple of points on the map showing the squad the way to go accomplish objetive. There could be atack structure etc. Maybe generals could also indirectly lead minion to atack rear or back of enemies for surprise bonuses, so a RPG player should also tkeep this in mind, with his Demigod ready to act, when playing against a General. Maybe Generals could also have the ability to peform formations more accurately to protect ranged minions. Just really that they have some tactical choices, tactical bonuses when doing it correctly with the ability to indirectly control the minions.

[Player shouldn't feel they are more than the Demigod, he is the Demigod trying to ascend only. The others are companions of the same cause. If you could control minions directly it would be like the Demigod is just the leader of the group, not the player and the player must be the Demigod. Thats what the game is about]

random ideas how I imagine it but I didn't played yet.

October 24, 2008 7:34:15 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Maybe use skills to lengthen the tether for the distance the squads can go though.

Or provide some material benefit for keeping the general close, such as short-range or aoe buffs, or perhaps units beyond a certain distance could take longer to respawn. That way the general can send his units away if he wants, but at a cost of some combat effectiveness.

Why not both?

October 24, 2008 8:00:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Torgamous,

Quoting Gnats3,
reply 12
Why identical? As I understand it, the Demigods are supposed to be as different from each other as possible while remaining balanced.

Even if most generals are going to be getting units from a barracks, I want one demigod who vomits up new units. For the animation if nothing else.

I meant that each individual Demigod only had one type of barracks. It is fine with me if one Demigod vomits them up .

I really don't like squads; you usually end up with individual units doing things that you don't want them to do.

October 24, 2008 12:05:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Some already implemented systems that prevent micromanagement:

1) Flags to control general interests for the AI. Examples: Majesty.

2) Flags and special areas to control interests and production rates of units. Examples: Globulation.

3) Squads in which composition is more important than micromanagement. Examples: Kohan.

I'd personally go for a mix of all 3. Get abstract sliders to control squads composition (or maybe a "squad designer", if you want a little more control), and then assign flags/areas for attack/defend/explore/support, assigning a desired number and type of squads to it.

Of course, they can also go for squadron or unit-level micromanagement, of course, but I'd rather think more "macro".

October 24, 2008 2:15:18 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I know this may be blasphemy, but couldn't generals drop out 2 consumables and that be replaced with a move and attack button which commands their creep.  If not, Why not give them only 2 active abilities and the other two are attach here and move for the creep.  Their other abilities would be area effect abilities.  This gives a nice compromise, though minions are not selectables, they are under your direct control.

October 24, 2008 3:42:32 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense.  If we don't get direct contorl by selecting and ordering individual units, I would to have generals have only 2 active abilities and the othr two slots be filled with the move and attack button.  It makes a lot of sense and requires little change to the ui or programming.  Thoughts?

October 24, 2008 7:30:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Ke5trel,

Maybe use skills to lengthen the tether for the distance the squads can go though.

Or provide some material benefit for keeping the general close, such as short-range or aoe buffs, or perhaps units beyond a certain distance could take longer to respawn. That way the general can send his units away if he wants, but at a cost of some combat effectiveness.

Why not both?
There's not really much point in giving a tactical advantage to units within a certain distance to their General if you aren't going to let them go farther than that.

October 24, 2008 7:34:39 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Some prety interesting ideas here.

Here's my 2 cents:

1) I don't want generals building barracks and such. Besides how hard that would be to balance, I don't think of generals as builders but rather people leading units in some way.

2) I do like the idea of being able to control or at least tell my units what to do as a general. But I also agree that the units should be intelligent enough to be very helpful to the general without having to micro-manage them.

3) I like the idea of letting units of generals be able to go capture things. That would make the general quite powerful right there and make it easy to justify having assassins be a LOT tougher than generals in 1 on 1 combat.

October 24, 2008 10:31:13 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

There's not really much point in giving a tactical advantage to units within a certain distance to their General if you aren't going to let them go farther than that.

Sure there is.  A tether-based general is still going to have some tactical flexibility that assassins don't have, i.e. staying out of sightlines, firing range, etc.  Allowing strong buffs on minions within a short distance of the general makes sense, because if your minions are close enough get a proximity buff then you are in trouble.

October 25, 2008 4:59:12 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i think it would be cool to have the creeps of the general be promoted like c&c did, but less units that way if you were a good general you could build powerful creeps, and the creeps would be as strong as your commanding ablity. but also think a general should have at least minimal control personally maximum would be better but balancing does come in greatly.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000312   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.