The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

[BUG] Steam overlay not working

By on October 18, 2008 12:50:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

When i run Demigod via Steam client, i get that "Use Shift+Tab for overlay" message, but unfortunately it doesn't work. I can still read popup messages, but thats all for overlay functions. I think that it would be nice if Steam overlay worked with Demigod, because it is great tool for ingame communication.

+1 Karma | 13 Replies
October 18, 2008 6:09:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I doubt GPG or Stardock will strive to support this, as SD has its own digital distribution platform. Besides, right now the developers probably care more about engine and gameplay issues, and not so much whether they can get their game to work with a rival piece of software.

October 19, 2008 3:19:00 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah i know that they have much more importatant things to do right now, so this is rather a long-term suggestion, but a) Demigod is my only nonsteam game that doesn't support steam overlay, so i'm pointing out that there may be something wrong, b ) there is no point in restricting players from using piece of software just because it is made by rival company. Customer, who pays money to GPG/Stardock and to Valve, doesn't care about their mutual relationship. He only cares if he can use his favorite software with his favorite game.

October 19, 2008 4:32:58 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Run Demigod via Steam? WTF? Beta isn't even remotely related or connected to Steam in any way, shape, sense, or form. It's really not a shocker that a non-Steam game doesn't work with a Steam overlay.

When you have an overlay that's designed for ALL games, like Xfire, then you can complain, and Xfire works just peachy.

October 19, 2008 4:38:57 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

does anyone know if the Steam Overlay gets angry with SupCom, or is it just a DG specific issue?

October 19, 2008 4:48:01 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

EDIT: Reply sent to more appropriate category.

October 19, 2008 6:54:48 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

just an after-thought: it's not really GPGs job to make sure DG works with Steam. as DeadMG said, it's Steam's job to make sure it works with other games.

if anything, a bug complaint should be sent to them instead.

October 21, 2008 12:39:51 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it's not really GPGs job to make sure DG works with Steam. as DeadMG said, it's Steam's job to make sure it works with other games.

October 21, 2008 11:18:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Valve have released steamworks, so any company can ensure their games will work with steam. I'm sure if GPG/Stardock wanted Demigod to work with Steam, it would. I can understand why they haven't bothered, but you can hardly blame Valve/Steam.

October 22, 2008 9:34:29 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i haven't heard about this 'Steamworks' before so i shall hold my judgement for now. my first impression, though, was that it's a engine wise thing which would require an entire recoding of the already complete engine. that said it could just be a compatibility front-end to patch in Steam with the game in question.

October 22, 2008 10:32:41 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting BulletMagnet,
i haven't heard about this 'Steamworks' before so i shall hold my judgement for now. my first impression, though, was that it's a engine wise thing which would require an entire recoding of the already complete engine. that said it could just be a compatibility front-end to patch in Steam with the game in question.

As I understand it, it's the latter, but I'm not completely sure. I'm just saying Steam/Valve have provided a tool for ensuring a new game is compatible with steam- whether game developers choose to use it is up to them - Valve can't recode Steam everytime a new game comes out.

That said, I can understand Stardock not being too worried about Steam compatibility, now that they have launched Impulse. Personally, I'd love it if Demigod supported the steam overlay, as that's how I talk to my gaming friends, and I don't need to tab out of the game to chat with them.

October 22, 2008 1:02:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I'm just saying Steam/Valve have provided a tool for ensuring a new game is compatible with steam- whether game developers choose to use it is up to them - Valve can't recode Steam everytime a new game comes out.

The purpose of Steamworks is to integrate Steam multiplayer matchmaking, patch distribution, etc., not to "ensure compatibility" (typically with the intent of selling the product on Steam, though that's not required). As I understand it, this means any game that uses Steamworks *requires* Steam to run. And it should go without saying that that's not going to happen with Demigod.

Bottom line, if Steam's stuff doesn't work properly, then the onus is on them if they want to fix it.

October 25, 2008 4:23:16 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting verspunken,

.... I'm just saying Steam/Valve have provided a tool for ensuring a new game is compatible with steam- whether game developers choose to use it is up to them - Valve can't recode Steam everytime a new game comes out.

Actually with the steam overlay it is just like other overlay systems, so it is just trying to attach to the graphics engine is all.  It will work by default with a number of non-steam games, however it doesn't work with every game.  Now it is possible for the developers of demigod to make sure that the overlay works with steam, but they shouldn't be required to as they aren't using steam as their distribution mechanism.  But this would not be steam's bug as they can't change an overlay that works with most games to work with one oddball... 

December 15, 2011 12:24:52 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

... and what about now that it is a Steam game? Can I et some overlay support for Windows 7?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.