The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

League Of Legends announced!!!(Dota 2)

By on October 7, 2008 8:45:53 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Loomismeister

Join Date 02/2008

Grats Demigod creators, you now have a direct competition-- and it is being created by the people who MADE Dota.

www.leagueoflegends.com

Locked Post 92 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 7, 2008 9:36:38 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I just came here to post about the same thing.

LOL looks awesome as well, I wonder how mod friendly it will be? I've been worrying about how much support GPG will be giving the modding community in the way of tools as a lack of support may cut the life expectancy of the game short.

October 7, 2008 9:37:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No offense, but this is just a new DOTA game that doesn't look amazing. New avatars are cool.  Other than that the game is not any major improvement.  This may in fact be a great game, but remember:

Demigod is NOT dota. 

It is a different game with different ideas, strengths, and weaknesses.  They are similar, and also very different.  As a game Demigod will compete with this game, but no maore than other games.  The key for Demigod to be successful is to increase the number abd the quality of its strengths and decrease the major flaws.

October 7, 2008 9:54:47 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Developers have stated the this game is recieving a great deal of influence from DOTA time and time again.

It plays like DoTA aswell.

October 7, 2008 9:58:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

wow that looks hella fun.

i wonder if they had that in production before demigod or maybe decided to fight back against demigod using this

October 7, 2008 9:59:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LoL!  Oh man.  I'm so sure they started at the acryonym, and made the name from it.

The prerendered trailer looks nice.  It looks like they must have quite a bit of investors money.

October 7, 2008 10:01:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Dota was a mod itself basically, so i think they will appreciate the value of constant updates and modding to their game aswell.

October 7, 2008 10:47:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,
Demigod is NOT dota.

Sigh.

October 8, 2008 1:05:00 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Trigeminal,
Demigod is NOT dota.

It's pretty darned similar, and there's no way this won't be a direct competitor.

October 8, 2008 2:12:47 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Personally, I like DOTA.  But, they are different.  I did not like the item crafting system or the huge maps.  I also did not like the lack of ai implementation.  This things are not in Demigod.  I also prefer that Demigod has fewer characters to choose from.  Also LOL has decidely different art approach.

They are similar yes, but far from the exact same.

October 8, 2008 2:19:11 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

This will be a direct competitor, they arent the same game but its hard to see how they wont compete when they will be the only full games in this genre.

I rekon it looks kinda awsome, im probs gonna buy it and ill probs play both games, or the one that is supported better. Demigod has extra points and it also lack points form DotA that i imagine LoL will take up, it  will be interesting to see how things go down

October 8, 2008 2:26:14 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

OK, let me be very clear.  Pretend as though above messages weren't typed.  My goal is not to start a flame war.  I worded my first post very carefully not to offend those with an affinity to DOTA.  Again, I like the DOTA, think LOL looks very similar, and  they will compete with Demi because they are games (in a new hybrid genre no less).   I just don't think it is a huge deal and am not as excited as everyone else, because I prefer the direction of Demigod over DOTA or LOL.  Just my opinion.  Like I said before, let's not start a flame war, as I see this may quickly head that way.  Thanks.

October 8, 2008 8:28:32 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Guinsoo is creating it, so ya, its gonna be super DotAish

October 8, 2008 9:50:07 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Trige, that's like saying Rainbow 6 Las Vegas 2 doesn't compete with CoD4.

Yeah they're not the SAME EXACT GAME, but they have a lot of simularities and are the same genre.

October 8, 2008 12:00:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Good...Now all people who want a copy/upgraded version of DotA can go play LoL And the others who are looking for a great demigod game, can stay here. Problem Solved.

October 8, 2008 12:34:04 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I think there are enough room for 2-3 more dota clones/genre.  I do wish there are more of them.  I hope both of these games demigod and league of legend does well.

Guinsoo is involve but I don't think it really means anything.  You can be a great map editor but not create a good game.  Just look at how bad the diablo creators did with their flagship studio.

The timing in 2009 seems kinda bad but it's still too early to tell.  There's demigod and starcraft2 (AoS)

Again, I hope they do well and it's always great to see more and more of these games in 2009+.

October 8, 2008 12:43:07 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thank Dalz and Blitz for saying what I have been trying to say.

October 8, 2008 3:55:33 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

With any luck, this will further encourage GPG to make DG different from the exact DotA formula.  LoL (lol) can take the masses of people who want quantity.  I'll stick with the quality production that is DG.

As a random side note, this is 2008!  Those graphics suck.  I almost mistook it for another WC3 mod.  Its DG quality against LoL quantity.

Quoting LoL FAQ,
There will not be crafting in League of Legends, but players will be able to form legendary items by forging together two or more basic items.

Ugh.  God, I hate recipies.  Hopefully, all those die-hard recipie people will go to LoL and keep the abominations out of DG.

Also looks like we've got four active skills and one passive one for LoL.  DG definately has more variety within each hero.  On the other hand, LoL has far more heroes than DG.  Yet again, DG quality vs. LoL quantity.

So yeah, they can be very different games.  As Blitz said, the world is big enough for the two of them.  As long as DG moves down a different path, everyone can be happy.  Personally, I'll stick with quality.  To each his own, though.

October 8, 2008 4:55:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

to be honest when i heard about Demigod i was pretty hyped but now that i've seen LoL.. i dunno.. its gunna be hard to choose

October 8, 2008 5:02:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LoL looks pretty bad to be honest.  Bad graphics, item recipes, even unappealing story... plus it'll suffer from SC2's fanboy-vs-normalperson, crippled/competetive-UI-vs-fun-UI issues.

I'll stick with Demigod

October 8, 2008 5:52:55 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

LoL might become a good game, it surely will be a lot more similar to Dota Allstars (nothing wrong with that) than Demigod. I certainly would like to play it from time to time if it turns out to be a fun game with no monthly fees.

There is 2 possible problems I see for them however:

1) too high expectations of the dota community on how good the game will be in the first beta. Given how close it is to Dota, many will expect it to be better and more fun than Dota from day 1 on; I hope they will be able to handle the outrage coming then or better take steps to preven that outrage at all.

2) If it is released after SC2 and there is a Aeon of Strife / Dota map for SC2 already it will be hard for them I think.

October 8, 2008 7:16:24 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

What's all the hype, I realy can't see what so exiting in this game. graphic looks lame, style looks childish and the concept- well its dota's concept with few changes. all I can see appealing in this is alot of artwork.

Demigod feature much more unique stufs along better graphics and a promise for quality updates.

Demigod is gonna kick ass but some of you doesn't see that because you doesn't understand that it still in beta and keep comparing it to dota.

October 8, 2008 9:13:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Demigod feels boring to me , all you can do is attack the other heroes

October 8, 2008 9:22:20 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

FPS games feel boring to me, all i do is shoot people

October 8, 2008 9:53:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The cartoony graphics of LoL actually appeals to me.  It looks somewhat like diablo3 from some screen shots.  It also looks to be more hardcore/competetive like dota.

Since I already preordered this, I might end up getting both.  This for spring 2009.   LoL for 2010??

October 8, 2008 10:11:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Yeah I don't relaly see the appeal to go for this game instead of DotA you've already been playing, or a new SC2 map.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000031   Page Render Time: