The Forums Are Now Closed!

The content will remain as a historical reference, thank you.

Demigod Beta 1-A preview

By on September 30, 2008 1:03:00 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

This week we intend to release the first update to the Demigod engine test beta (beta 1-A).  Under the hood there have been tons of changes made and we're beginning to make room for some of the more significant changes you'll be seeing in Beta 2 (beginning of November).

Here are some of the highlights:

My friend Soren Johnson has a great article entitled "the seven deadly sins of strategy games".  The bottom line is to paraphrase Sid Meijer, good strategy games give players "interesting" choices.

The flags in Demigod are going to be core element to this because controlling these flags are how the different sides will gain tremendous advantages. 

A good player (or team) would be able to quickly eliminate a new player or team simply by taking these flags and holding them long enough to overwhelm the enemy.  This prevents the problem in many multiplayer games where even when you're playing against unskilled players, you're still committing a lot of time to the game. Yet, at the same time, the game mechanic is straight forward enough that it's intuitive to players why they're winning or losing.

The team is brain storming all kinds of different types of flags. For beta 1-A, we just did gold as a proof of concept.

This next change is going to be more controversial without some explanation.   When someone posts about this saying how they hate this change, point them to this post.  The idea is that we're starting to make room in the UI and in the balancing for lots of additional skills as well as skill buffing  (where you enhance one of the existing skills with a modifier).  So don't take this screen as implying that we're going to have some dull linear progression.

The second map is in.  The mine map is somewhat smaller but has some interesting strategic conundrums.

So when will the beta be out? We are targeting this Thursday (basically we release betas on Thursdays typically).

+81 Karma | 83 Replies
September 30, 2008 1:07:00 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Oh my god.   Yes first post!!!!

September 30, 2008 1:08:07 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

basically we release betas on Thursdays typically

We call them Yarlen-days. "Thursday" loses its meaning when a Stardock beta is running

September 30, 2008 1:10:35 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Thursday!!!!  Thursday!!!!  I love Thursday!!!!

September 30, 2008 1:12:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

3 pic shows that not only is there a new map, but....

A NEW HERO: UNCLEAN BEAST!!!!

Will stats and other strategic elements not listed here be included?

September 30, 2008 1:38:05 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Just in time for my replacement processor. Yay.

September 30, 2008 1:39:59 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Great news indeed!!! I have been happy with the beta thusfar but it will be interesting to see how gameplay is on a slightly smaller map. Waterfall was cramped enough IMHO! Much carnage to be dealt!

September 30, 2008 1:52:28 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I agree ledgerline, waterfalls was cramped, I am hoping they release a few bigger maps.  I wouldn't want drastically bigger maps, but I think about 50% bigger than waterfalls would be a perfect Big map for 3 x 3.

September 30, 2008 2:27:34 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

oh man! I am excited! w00t4l1c10u5!

September 30, 2008 2:35:23 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

been checking this site every day since i heard v 1A existed. SO GLAD to hear it's finally coming out

September 30, 2008 3:00:16 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Interesting. Please remember that imo the first beta setup has worked - t`was fun. I look forward to trying new things; I hope the final game incorporates all sorts of contest concepts and approaches.

Quite cool. Thanks for the update.

September 30, 2008 3:01:23 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Kitkun,
Just in time for my replacement processor. Yay.

So that's where you've been hiding!

September 30, 2008 3:07:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

You need to have a window come up for each skill on the skills page or something so you have room to make branches.(IE, hover over a skill you already have put a point into and a box comes up with an expanded tree for it.)

With how it is now adding branched upgrades would take up room for adding new skills.
And NOT adding branched upgrades wouldn't be very good.  But you say you're going to, which means that UI doesn't work, since making 2 or 3 branches on each skill means pushing upwards/downwards which means less room for different skills.

How the UI is set up for the skill selection right now is limiting everything.  Not to mention it limits having more than 12 skills.

Otherwise there can be tabs for more space.  But in my experience it seems people are so dumb they don't notice the tabs and are like "Wtf how2get dat skill?".  People would ask this in diablo2 even when it was so obvious to me my first time opening up the window.   Maybe hovering over wouldn't be obvious either.  Who knows, except to know that how the UI is right now wouldn't work wiithout changes..

Also it's cool to see a chat log button has been added up top, and of course scores that we knew where coming.  I like the style of it too, doesn't get in the way.

September 30, 2008 3:27:46 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

how will we get this beta?

will it be an open beta? or will it be like the sins betas?

September 30, 2008 3:42:22 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

it'll be like the one currently going on..

September 30, 2008 3:59:08 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

In the first screenshot, the thing in the bottom corner is not a Demigod or creep we have yet to play with.

September 30, 2008 4:02:50 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting innociv,
You need to have a window come up for each skill on the skills page or something so you have room to make branches.(IE, hover over a skill you already have put a point into and a box comes up with an expanded tree for it.)

With how it is now adding branched upgrades would take up room for adding new skills.
And NOT adding branched upgrades wouldn't be very good.  But you say you're going to, which means that UI doesn't work, since making 2 or 3 branches on each skill means pushing upwards/downwards which means less room for different skills.

How the UI is set up for the skill selection right now is limiting everything.  Not to mention it limits having more than 12 skills.

Otherwise there can be tabs for more space.  But in my experience it seems people are so dumb they don't notice the tabs and are like "Wtf how2get dat skill?".  People would ask this in diablo2 even when it was so obvious to me my first time opening up the window.   Maybe hovering over wouldn't be obvious either.  Who knows, except to know that how the UI is right now wouldn't work wiithout changes..

Also it's cool to see a chat log button has been added up top, and of course scores that we knew where coming.  I like the style of it too, doesn't get in the way.

I think what you can do is have a scrollable or draggable, and zoomable, skill tree, with mini-map as well. This is tried and tested in many rpg games with elaborate skill trees.

September 30, 2008 4:06:09 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

That is the Unclean Beast, I think.

September 30, 2008 4:30:01 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The thing in the bottom corner is Unclean Biest and YAY for beta 1A! Thanks for the heads-up Draginol.

September 30, 2008 4:58:02 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting AnnihilatorX,

I think what you can do is have a scrollable or draggable, and zoomable, skill tree, with mini-map as well. This is tried and tested in many rpg games with elaborate skill trees.

probably better idea than something that expands.

Yeah it scrolling up/down would make plenty of room for branches and more skills.

September 30, 2008 5:22:12 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

skill buffing sounds like innovics post about item progression only with skills 

September 30, 2008 5:27:43 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

The flags in Demigod are going to be core element to this because controlling these flags are how the different sides will gain tremendous advantages. 

The team is brain storming all kinds of different types of flags. For beta 1-A, we just did gold as a proof of concept.

I love flags yes more locking and more whining

September 30, 2008 6:05:45 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

WOOT NEW NEWS OMG

September 30, 2008 6:21:29 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Another assasain?

Pffft.

September 30, 2008 6:25:21 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

erez, i agree I am looking forward to generals, but this was expected.  Let's see what is in it before we get to frustrated.  I for one hope the escalation is no longer automated and stats are in at the very least.

September 30, 2008 6:31:44 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Wow, I can't wait for this! I'm glad you are planning to make the skill decisions more indepth by allowing people to change the affects of the skills. No offence, but what there is right now is somewhat dull

Also.... UNCLEAN BEAST FTW!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108435  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000203   Page Render Time:

Stardock Magazine | Register | Online Privacy Policy | Terms of Use

Copyright ?? 2012 Stardock Entertainment and Gas Powered Games. Demigod is a trademark of Gas Powered Games. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are the properties of their respective owners. Windows, the Windows Vista Start button and Xbox 360 are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies, and 'Games for Windows' and the Windows Vista Start button logo are used under license from Microsoft. ?? 2012 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. All rights reserved. AMD, the AMD Arrow logo and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.